Real Estate
Sponsored by

Question about selling a non performing mortgage note

8,093 Views | 83 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Olag00
Olag00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have a property where I mistakenly did a sort of seller finance deal. I am thinking about calling a few note buyers to see if they are interested but first wanted to see if anyone has any experience or if it is even worth it.

For metrics, lets say it is around 500k house and note is worth around 400k. With this type of "spread" would it be worth someone to purchase my note of 400k and they take over getting payments/foreclose on buyer?

As the subject states, this is a non performing note but it is for sale by an agent picked by the occupants. It has been on the market for over 60 days and I am tired of this property being a thorn in my side and I can't move on with my life due to making my own mortgage and their mortgage payments.

Is my best option to just wait out the sell of the house and hope it gets sold in today's market or try my luck with a note purchaser?
BTHOtrolls
AG
If I'm understanding the situation right, you need to put a lien on the house ASAP. Then send a certified letter to the agent representing the sale that informs them of the lien. The agent may elect to not spend time representing the sale, if its unlikely to close due to a lien. Is it a risk, if the delinquent owner sells it, they takes all the proceeds and don't pay you?

If that's the caseā€¦

Another option is to seek an investment buyer to acquire it under market value. Then have the delinquent owner agree that part of the sale proceeds will be escrowed and directed to you after title transfer. You may take a haircut, but better than being out all $500K.

It may be easier to find a real estate buyer for an undervalued property than selling off bad debt. Especially, if the collateral securing the debt is at risk of being sold.
Olag00
AG
I don't think I need to place a lien on the property. I have spoken with the listing agent and he had his title people do a look into the property and I do show up as a "lender". So if it sells, the title company should make them pay me as if I am any other bank. They will take the proceeds of the sale, I would just be paid out.

I am just trying to get out from under the property and be done with it. I have been dealing with it since November 2019.

BTHOtrolls
AG
Gotcha, hard situation, I hope you find an out soon.
Troglodyte
AG
How far behind are they? Have you done anything to start foreclosure or is that what you are avoiding? You said "occupants". Is someone other than the borrower occupying the unit?
Olag00
AG
Long story short, they didn't pay any of 2020 and most of 2021 and havent made a payment since May this year. I have filed foreclosure 4 times since 2020. The first foreclosure was put on hold due to covid and they filed bankruptcy 3 times and the judge stopped the foreclosures. All three bankruptcies have been dismissed due to paperwork not filled out and for not making payments.

It is a husband, wife and kids in the house.

I am just at my wits end on the processes. It seems I could be at the end of it now since they did put it up for sale but if there is anyway to get out of it sooner rather later that would be the preference.

SteveBott
AG
If they put it up for sale then that is the fastest way to get rid of the problem. You hope they get it sale ready and price right it will sell.
Troglodyte
AG
You are going to have hard time selling the loan to someone where the only upside is getting the property. Most likely scenario is a difficult payoff. It you are looking to sell it at a deep discount, you have a great shot at selling.
SteveBott
AG
He can't sell it. He doesn't own it. Would need to foreclose.
Jay@AgsReward.com
Sponsor
AG
As you have already seen foreclosing on homestead can be hard, costly and time consuming. So, to sell a note with these circumstances would require a discount as their is no cash flow and it is more or less a debt collection proceeding at this point. So, yes, you can likely find some one to buy it but not at near 400k.
one MEEN Ag
AG
I don't understand how the nonpaying occupant can sell the home. It was owner financed by you. They don't own the home, you do. They have a minority stake in the equity at this time and are behind on obligations to pay the mortgage.

Sounds like your best shot at getting fully reimbursed is to foreclose, dock them their missed payments, pay them out their remaining equity, and pray they didn't destroy the house.

What happens when this house goes through a sale, and your lein takes out more equity than what the selling price is? Sounds like the occupants would have to come up with cash to close. Which if they could, they would have paid the mortgage. And if they don't come up with cash to close, you'd be waiving your equity to just be released of the property.
Olag00
AG
Another last resort option is to let my loans go into foreclosure since my loans are primary, the occupants would have to forfeit the house and my bank would have to deal with getting them out of the house.

Of course going this route I would lose all the payments I have been making and would have to hope I could explain the situation if/when I go to purchase a home to a lender. I am currently renting but I do want to find a home at some point.

If I just keep making the payments and they sell the home, I would at least get the money back I am putting up in the mean time.

I think I am talking myself into biting the bullet, keep making payments, and hope they sell the home so I can at least get money back. We are talking over 20k at this point plus lawyer fees.
Troglodyte
AG
SteveBott said:

He can't sell it. He doesn't own it. Would need to foreclose.
He owns the loan. He wants to sell the loan. I'm telling him he is going to have problems selling the loan at par.
Olag00
AG
I did what is called a "wrap around" mortgage. We went through a title company and all when we closed. According to all state/county documents, they own the home so they would get all the profit on the sale after they pay back the outstanding loan amount.

Their realtor contract ends October 8th and I have not heard from them about what their plans are after that. If I haven't heard they signed an extension, I will tell my lawyer to do the foreclose for November.
one MEEN Ag
AG
Olag00 said:

I did what is called a "wrap around" mortgage. We went through a title company and all when we closed. According to all state/county documents, they own the home so they would get all the profit on the sale after they pay back the outstanding loan amount.

Their realtor contract ends October 8th and I have not heard from them about what their plans are after that. If I haven't heard they signed an extension, I will tell my lawyer to do the foreclose for November.
Gotcha.

So then one last question. Why are you the first creditor to be repaid the mortgage payments you've made on their behalf if they sell the home, but not if you foreclose?

Olag00
AG
If I foreclose, I would actually take all the profit from the sell which would then be my repayment.

I am just a little gun shy about the foreclosure actually going through with all the past bankruptcy's they have filed. I have a feeling they would file again and then the bankruptcy gets dismissed again but that would be 3-4 months down the road. This is why I went along with them selling the house, it just seemed the quickest and best option. Of course now the market has turned for the worse.

Jay@AgsReward.com
Sponsor
AG
oh, you did a wrap. Oh boy. I assumed you actually held the lien, so no you cannot sell the note.
Olag00
AG
Thanks for the information. Guess I keep doing what I am doing.
one MEEN Ag
AG
Olag00 said:

If I foreclose, I would actually take all the profit from the sell which would then be my repayment.

I am just a little gun shy about the foreclosure actually going through with all the past bankruptcy's they have filed. I have a feeling they would file again and then the bankruptcy gets dismissed again but that would be 3-4 months down the road. This is why I went along with them selling the house, it just seemed the quickest and best option. Of course now the market has turned for the worse.

Gotcha looks like you're still first to get repaid in either situation. You've just got to hope for the home selling price to cover all the debt obligations if you sell.

Sorry youre stuck in this mess. At some point, a judge is going to throw out their bankruptcy claims and let the foreclosure happen.
Troglodyte
AG
Jay@AgsReward.com said:

oh, you did a wrap. Oh boy. I assumed you actually held the lien, so no you cannot sell the note.
Yep. This. Sorry you got stuck in this situation. Good luck.

With the big change in interest rates, I would think these wrap arounds will become more popular. There is still a lot of risk to the Seller (wrap around lender).
MoneyMikeOnline
AG
I'd start the foreclosure immediately and see what comes first. End of the day, you need to stop the bleeding as soon as possible.
Olag00
AG
I agree but my thinking has been if they have it for sale then it would be at same position if I was to foreclose and put up for sale. Them not being foreclosed on could also help with them not destroying the place if the foreclosure went through. Not saying they would, but they could. Then there would also be the hassle in the eviction process. I did email my lawyer to put this property on his radar for the November foreclosure and I have until this Thursday to let him know either way so he can get the paperwork ready.

Foreclosures only happen once a month and they are on the first Tuesday of every month and we have to give the occupants 21 days notice. This is for the county the property resides in.
jja79
AG
Doing a wrap around can also trigger the due on sale clause making your mortgage due and payable in full.
Olag00
AG
Yep. What's funny is I requested a hardship with my lenders when the occupants stopped making payments and explained what was going on. They declined the hardship application. The lenders never did request the loan to be paid in full even though they knew what was happening. Needless to say this loan has been bought and sold twice in 3 years probably due to what has been going on with the payments.
SteveBott
AG
Here is a little secret. Lenders do not want to foreclose unless it's a non producing loan. Moving the loan into an LLC, wraps, etc almost never results in a loan call due.

If you make the payments, on time, the lender most likely ignore most other things.
jja79
AG
I agree, but some people aren't aware what all can trigger the due on sale clause.
SteveBott
AG
Yep and lenders do the same. It's always "are they making their payments?" If yes the lender moves on.

OP sounds like you have a good plan. Let them sell and come November start the foreclosure process again. Actually your experience is one of the reasons lenders will mostly ignore the little stuff. It's a pain in the Aā€¦
Cooter00
Hate to break it to you, but they are likely just playing you. "Selling" the house just another way to drag you along with no payments.

Keep trying to foreclose.
Olag00
AG
yeah there has been a new development. Just received my escrow analysis and there is a huge shortage so the payment is going up over 1000. I told the occupant I can't keep up with that payment and he needs to list it just to break even instead of waiting around to get market value.

I have also told my lawyer to prepare for November foreclosure as now it is where I can't make the payments along with my personal residence and wait around for the sell. It is much more critical at this point to get it taken care of.

ETA: it could get interesting if an offer comes in before foreclosure. I will have to cross that bridge if/when it happens.
humperdink
AG
Have you considered attempting a deed in lieu of foreclosure?

The potential bankruptcy could muck up a sell too.
Olag00
AG
I tried the deed-in-lieu at the very beginning in 2020, I even said I would throw in $5000 for him to leave the house in good condition and just hand over the keys.

He never even acknowledged the offer. He would just reply I will make a payment "tomorrow" which never happened. I may bring it back as an option since he is having to reduce the price eliminating the potential profit he would have gotten if he had try selling last year.

itsyourboypookie
I'll give you 250k cask for the non performing note.

Corey at GBTpm dot com
itsyourboypookie
Jay@AgsReward.com said:

Lots of bad advice on here.

I'll write you a check for 5k, get your lien position, make the underlying mortgage payment, foreclose, fight the bankruptcy they will file, and make the process extremely painful and expensive fir your **** buyers.

Good times will be had.

Let me know.
Olag00
AG
I have the foreclosure set for November 1st...if it gets called off I may be in more of a situation to look into some options.
MS08
AG
Difficult and aggravating situation. As cold as it may sound, My only $0.02: do not trust them for anything and they do not care about you or your finances. Most likely, they believe the world owes them and they are a victim. Pursue your exit with tenacity and best wishes!
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.