Real Estate
Sponsored by

Hydrostatic Testing

7,105 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by TXAGFAN
Alta
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I was just looking at the Texas Real Estate addendum and its wording leaves a lot to be desired. What box is most common to see checked as to who is liable with regard to damages (seller, buyer or buyer up to x amount)?

Thanks
grizzo
AG
Alta said:

I was just looking at the Texas Real Estate addendum and its wording leaves a lot to be desired. What box is most common to see checked as to who is liable with regard to damages (seller, buyer or buyer up to x amount)?

Thanks
It seems pretty cut-and-dry to me. If I am representing the seller, I would recommend the seller demand the buyer incur all costs associated with damage caused by a hydrostatic test.

These tests can be tremendously intrusive/damaging and leave the seller holding the bag when the buyer walks away during option. It is essentially there to protect the seller.

When I am representing a client - either seller or buyer - I would first recommend a scope. It is far less intrusive, and it would indicate whether anything further is needed.
Diggity
AG
I'm not sure how expanding a rubber bladder to seal off a pipe with a bicycle pump can be intrusive and damaging. The pressure exerted on the system is no more than any typical clog would cause.

That form would certainly lead a seller to believe so however.

My issue is when a seller has no clue (or claims to have no clue) about their 70 year old pipes being damaged and they want to blame the test.

Explain to me how anyone can prove that the hydrostatic test damaged the pipes. You can't. The far more likely scenario is that these old ass cast iron pipes that have a 50 year useful life in Houston soil are more than likely shot.

The camera test is nice too, but you can't see the whole system with a camera. Doing both tests is the way to go.
dallasiteinsa02
It was put in by Realtors to discourage the use of the test. It exposes damage, but doesn't create it.
Diggity
AG
I think it was more of a CYA move by the TREC lawyers since the earlier versions of the 1-4 contract stated that sellers had to give consent for the test but left it up to the parties to decide how to give that consent.

It's a poorly written and alarmist form that seems to be universally hated by buyers, sellers and agents. I would expect it to get tweaked at some point.
evestor1
Diggity
AG
It doesn't sound like you understand the process of hydrostatic testing for residential construction. It's not like testing pipelines. They are not adding pressure to the line.

All they do is find a clean out, drop the bladder down to the lower part of the drain lines, and inflate the bladder to seal off that part of the line. From there, they take a hose and add water. The test is simply to check how long it takes the water to drop.
evestor1
I understand the test you are speaking of and still would say no.

But you are correct - that type of test you are talking about is not a technically pressurized so the risk is low.
Martin Q. Blank
If you do the test and there is a leak, how do you determine if the test caused the leak or not?
Diggity
AG
You can say no and hope the next person won't ask the same, but if you have a home with old pipes, any decent agent is going to ask for that test.

As to your idea of demanding replacement of the entire system sight unseen... good luck with that. I prefer to live in the real world.
evestor1
I wasn't trying to upset you - I was giving the tough responses that people often give.

Are you saying you've never gotten a repair list that said "fix everything on the inspection report" - about 25% of the deals my wife has done say that. And yes, it has included such recommendations as replace all galvanized piping. And whereas I have not seen "replace" main...it does get brought up quite often.

And yes I know that no seller will throw in cost of replacement.
Diggity
AG
I'm not upset with you. I just feel like you're giving bad advice.

I haven't seen any evidence that these tests damage the pipes. It's a good test for both parties because buyers need to know what repairs might be needed and sellers rarely have any clue that their pipes have failed. Misinformation about hydrostatic tests is a big problem and this silly TREC form only made it harder for everyone.

I have to have this discussion with listing agents every couple months it seems, so that does agitate me.
The Fife
Since all of our drain plumbing is in the crawlspace I'd be worried about the weight of all that water completely filling up the pipes. They are supported as intended and nothing leaks, but I'd still be nervous that the supports can handle all that weight since it seems like a lot more than they were intended for.
Mas89
AG
A hydrostatic test WILL NOT DAMAGE YOUR PLUMBING. but the test will show if there is a leak in the system. Before our recent foundation repair, our hydrostatic test correctlyshowed a leak in our system but the scope could not access the problem area when inserted thru the clean out. The scope also is sometimes not clear in dirty and greasy areas of the system. After our foundation repair, tunneling under our slab the broken pipe was found and repaired. The scope was useful in determining the leak was in the master bath area. After we did another hydrostatic test to confirm there were no other leaks.

After spending 30k, I will never buy a new or used home again without doing a hydrostatic test first. And I WILL BE THERE WATCHING THE TEST MYSELF. The test is very simple and if the water goes down there is a leak somewhere.

Very good reasons for a realtor and a seller to NOT want this test performed on a home. The cure can be very expensive and very time consuming.

Caveat emptor. Be there to watch the test yourself if you are buying.
TXAGFAN
AG
Failed test on home I was selling cost me $8,500 last week. Nothing to do with the testing approach though, that is weird to me. We had two companies come out to test (long story) and no one indicated there could be damage to pipes from it.

Oh well, house is sold and that's all that matters!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.