Real Estate
Sponsored by

Absolutely Stunning Custom Home?

632,107 Views | 4410 Replies | Last: 12 days ago by Complete Idiot
FincAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That and the limited supply of 3+ bedroom homes on the market.
cjo03
AG
from a random house up here in Oregon...

JMac03
AG
cjo03 said:

Magic flying carpet???
TXTransplant
The Fife said:

The value must be in the land because the finishes don't suggest half that.

Sadly, $200/sq ft for new construction with exactly those types of "high end finishes" are the norm in a lot of areas of TX. It's definitely about what you get in my 'burb (The Woodlands), and my weekly perusal of of HAR tells me it's like that in many other areas of the state, too.

I looked at this house recently. It's in the 'hood where I currently live but on a much nicer/quieter lot than mine.

https://www.har.com/23-madrone-terrace-place/sale_8947617

It was originally listed at $200+/sq ft ($599k). It photographs pretty nicely, but when you walk the house, you can see where the builder cut corners (for example, the dishwasher is a piece of plastic junk).

expresswrittenconsent
Any update on the realtor potentially picking up the house with the "unique right angle brick pattern"?
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
cjo03 said:

Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
cjo03
AG
JMac03 said:

cjo03 said:

Magic flying carpet???

but would it need to be listed as an exclusion?? link
Bobcat-Ag
Love the area and the property. That house looks very dated though. So much work to do just to get it updated.
cjo03
AG
Bobcat-Ag said:

Love the area and the property. That house looks very dated though. So much work to do just to get it updated.
If I knew the magic carpet worked, I may entertain it... but without the magic carpet, my commute would be too long.
AggieAces06
AG
Holy cow that's a lot of white... with a little grey thrown in...
The Fife
Good eye. The plumbing fixtures, doors and door hardware are what I'll look at a lot of the time.

I don't understand why builders still insist upon doing corner fireplaces in a family room. There's too much going on in there anyway and it's competing with everything else.
The Fife
cjo03 said:

I haven't seen orange countertops since I was a kid, or a lot of stuff in those pictures!

What's with the paved areas? Abandoned tennis courts?
TXTransplant
The Fife said:

Good eye. The plumbing fixtures, doors and door hardware are what I'll look at a lot of the time.

I don't understand why builders still insist upon doing corner fireplaces in a family room. There's too much going on in there anyway and it's competing with everything else.

My house now has a corner fireplace. I think they do it to open up wall space, but I agree, it's not my favorite.

AggieAces06 said:

Holy cow that's a lot of white... with a little grey thrown in...

I usually hate white cabinets, but that kitchen I posted actually looks better in person than it photographs. The dark island, the countertops (which you can't really see) and the hardwood floors are gorgeous.

But it was just all the little ways that the builder cut corners that irritated me - especially at that price per sq ft. In addition to the cheap dishwasher, the refrigerator cut out is (comparatively) tiny, and the upper trim has a lip that will force it to be even shorter than what it looks. The master closet, at first glance, looks like it has those hanging rods that are hinged that you can pull down, but it actually doesn't. It just has long stretches of fixed rod, much of which you need a ladder to access. And don't get me started on the laundry room and the secondary bath. Both are tiny. Overall closet space is very limited, especially for a house that size. The dishwasher really killed it for me, though, because I know it wouldn't have cost the builder more than a couple hundred $ to put in one with a hidden control panel that's all stainless on the inside.

And would it kill builders to hang a cabinet over the toilets in the house? I had to ask the builder of my current house to install one in my master bath, too, before we closed. Where the heck else are you supposed to store your extra toilet paper, especially in the master bath where the toilet is in a little room by itself?!?
JMac03
AG
cjo03 said:

Bobcat-Ag said:

If I knew the magic carpet worked, I may entertain it... but without the magic carpet, my commute would be too long.
The views are beautiful. Love the windows. But it damn near would take an entire gut to remodel that thing.
p_bubel

I respect the amount of effort it took to do that... but that's a bold move cotton.

4806 Crestwood.
Post removed:
by user
JMac03
AG
Everything about that house screams "we used the absolute cheapest materials we could find to build this house and **** gonna be falling apart soon. Very soon".
Post removed:
by user
Bobcat-Ag
KB Homes?
The Fife
TXTransplant said:

And would it kill builders to hang a cabinet over the toilets in the house? I had to ask the builder of my current house to install one in my master bath, too, before we closed. Where the heck else are you supposed to store your extra toilet paper, especially in the master bath where the toilet is in a little room by itself?!?
Our half bath has a wall hanging toilet with the tank in the wall and thus, no cabinets anywhere but the countertop runs the length of the room. We hide an extra roll in a little metal container that's made for that purpose. Sucks to be you if someone forgot to replace the roll and you run out, but that hasn't happened yet.
The Fife
Bobcat-Ag said:

KB Homes?
Yes, absolutely. It's from right around when they stopped dropping the octagonal window above the front door.
Ducks4brkfast
AG

Link
JMac03
AG
Ducks4brkfast said:

Link
I am so confused...about all of it. Brand new home, ****ty furniture, still being finished. If that is "staging" then WTF. I can only assume someone had already signed for all of that and then lost funding or something cause that **** is just fugly as all get out. And the outside? Let's take 3 looks and combine them into one.
Post removed:
by user
Bobcat-Ag
My eyes!
Diggity
AG
At least you have easy access to Mexican cuisine

p_bubel
The Fife
Houses made from small batches of leftover stuff are the best! Love the flypaper hanging from the smoke detector in the kitchen too.
p_bubel
5718 Crater Lake

Pretty innocuous until you get to the backyard. It's your bog standard platted neighborhood from the 80s and 90s till blam!

1. Who sold them their section of backyard?
2. Is the church cool with them using their lot for access?
3. What the **** where you thinking?

The joys of living in the county.

Google Aerial View
tmaggie50
AG
AggieAces06
AG
Ducks4brkfast said:

Link

Anyone else notice there is no dishwasher??

Looks like someone has been living there (probably the builder) while its being finished.
schwack schwack
AG
Must be Elliot's room.

The Fife
He's down, someone get him some Reeses now!
MAS444
AG
Here's one that jumped out at me looking through recent local listings. Seems like a great deal:

https://www.har.com/1114-e-29th-street/sale_28770524
TXTransplant
MAS444 said:

Here's one that jumped out at me looking through recent local listings. Seems like a great deal:

https://www.har.com/1114-e-29th-street/sale_28770524

7 units in 3382 sq ft...month to month renters...I'm sure the people living in the "affluent" and "luxury" neighboring homes are thrilled about that!
First Page Last Page
Page 47 of 127

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.