Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Trump Accounts

4,693 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 25 days ago by TxAger
Mmetag10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Correct. See my example above.
mavsfan4ever
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If you do $5,000 per year for 18 years and then convert it to Roth, then there is likely a tax bill that will be owed on $100k to $120k of profit at that time. Still would likely be a smart move, but the parents will need to pay that tax bill, as the kid won't be able to. Or I guess it could just be taken directly from the account.
aggiez03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

If you do $5,000 per year for 18 years and then convert it to Roth, then there is likely a tax bill that will be owed on $100k to $120k of profit at that time. Still would likely be a smart move, but the parents will need to pay that tax bill, as the kid won't be able to. Or I guess it could just be taken directly from the account.


Convert it slowly during down stock years to minimize capital gains OR LT capital gains would be $18k on 120k of profit. Still a no brainer to convert at 18-22. Pulled from acctount, 210k drops to 180k tax free (+penalty) with 40+ years to grow.

That being said 529 should be first priority for parents .
Kansas Kid
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I assume you can transfer it to the other funds either immediately or after a short period of time. Is that the case from what you are seeing in the App?
Texag5324
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Mmetag10 said:

It is. That's why you convert it to Roth at 18 as soon as possible. Then all growth is tax free.


Would be subject to kiddie tax if you convert to Roth at age 18. The key is to convert to Roth whenever the kid graduates college and starts working full time, or turns 24 years old, whichever comes first.
Mmetag10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Agree. But pending how much you can get in there it may not have grown much. My kids are old enough they won't get much growth it's just a way to front load an Ira for them before they can working.
ATM9000
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
aggiez03 said:

mavsfan4ever said:

If you do $5,000 per year for 18 years and then convert it to Roth, then there is likely a tax bill that will be owed on $100k to $120k of profit at that time. Still would likely be a smart move, but the parents will need to pay that tax bill, as the kid won't be able to. Or I guess it could just be taken directly from the account.


Convert it slowly during down stock years to minimize capital gains OR LT capital gains would be $18k on 120k of profit. Still a no brainer to convert at 18-22. Pulled from acctount, 210k drops to 180k tax free (+penalty) with 40+ years to grow.

That being said 529 should be first priority for parents .


I think growth is taxed on withdrawal as ordinary income, not capital gains.
EnronAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
anybody know when the $250 Dell seed money gets contributed into accounts??
GeorgiAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I think a side goal is to eliminate Social Security.

I'm fine with that (after i'm dead).
EnronAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
GeorgiAg said:

I think a side goal is to eliminate Social Security.

I'm fine with that (after i'm dead).

I would totally be ok losing every penny of mine...if I knew my 4 kids didn't have to participate in that scam...I will teach my kids to invest wisely...and the payout will far exceed any garbage crumbs our corrupt govt will try to hand out to them in the form of SS or any other stupid benefit they are involved with...
TxAger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
EnronAg said:

anybody know when the $250 Dell seed money gets contributed into accounts??


Ours got deposited today.
mosdefn14
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Took long enough. For a couple of months I thought I opened accounts for nothing.
permabull
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

If you do $5,000 per year for 18 years and then convert it to Roth, then there is likely a tax bill that will be owed on $100k to $120k of profit at that time. Still would likely be a smart move, but the parents will need to pay that tax bill, as the kid won't be able to. Or I guess it could just be taken directly from the account.


You don't have to Roth convert the entire account at once. You would want to break it up over a few years to just fill up lower tax brackets while they are early in their career with low income years.
TxAger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Not sure if already mentioned, but I see that companies are starting to/pledging to contribute into Trump accounts for their employees' kids. Somewhere between 50-100 have so far.... American Airlines, Goldman Sachs, IBM, SAP, VISA, etc.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2 ▼
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.