Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Cutting expenses to know your retirement needs

9,561 Views | 74 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by infinity ag
angel_00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Do yourself a huge favor and sign up for YNAB. (You Need a Budget) It is the best budgeting software/app I've ever used and I'm on my 11th year with it. Total game changer for our financial life and I'm saying that as someone who has tracked via Excel, Microsoft Money, Quicken, etc. every dollar I've earned since my first paycheck after graduating A&M. When I discovered YNAB, I was like "where has this been and why did I not know about it?" It is a culmination of everything I was attempting to do using Excel + other budgeting apps.
JMac03
AG
Aust Ag said:

Mid-level Regional Sales Mgr at my company recently basically asked to be demoted to an Account Rep, so he could spend the last working years relatively stress free. Got to keep most of his old salary (little less now on commissions) , vacation time and most importantly, his insurance . No more overnights.

Checked his ego at the door, and really likes his decision. I'm thinking I might do the same in next few years. "Downsize yourself at work".

I often joke that my last 2-4 years if we can handle the income loss (which we should hopefully), that I'm gonna go pet dogs at the front desk at vet med. My retirement is based off my highest 5 years, so it doesn't matter what I make the last few years. I'm 1 year into my most recent promotion, need at least 4 more. While I like my job, I would rather something more low key once I hit 54-55 (10 years away).
heteroscedasticity
jamey said:

Anyone here tried cutting expenses to see how much they really need to live on in retirement yet?

Wife went crazy on a CC ............
How dare you bring up by CC use on a public forum. I want a divorce!
infinity ag
Ribeye-Rare said:

jamey said:

Wife went crazy on a CC
Ah, if I had a nickel for every husband (including myself) who has ever uttered that phrase.

I feel your pain.

Good luck, and I hope you don't get anything thrown at you other than the standard verbal and emotional abuse.

Oh Lord, don't get me started...
This is one of the main causes of our fights. Wife goes out "just to do some returns" and ends up going to a clothes store, likes a bunch of stuff and spends $300. And I thought she was going to get some money back from returns.
infinity ag
double aught said:

People regularly using Uber Eats/Door Dash when they are able bodied and have a functioning vehicle blow my mind. Don't get it at all.

Agree. The only time I use these services is when the prices are cheaper (almost never) or when they send me a coupon for savings. If not, I just call the restaurant and order and pick up myself.
Save higher food cost, saves on tip, nice drive too.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.