Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Residential Electric Plans

33,909 Views | 228 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by aTm_bomb
HTownPops
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Now that costs have skyrocketed from appx 7-8/KwH up to 16-18/KwH, who are y'all using to get the best rate for electricity? A few threads down mentioned energy ogre but those rates weren't any better as well as about the same for power to choose. Any better options or we just all screwed?
TXTransplant
I went back to Think Energy, as they had the best rates when I looked a couple of weeks ago. They also actually have 12 and 18 month contracts. A lot of companies are only offering 2-3 year, and I've seen some that are 5 year. They also aren't penalizing users who are under 1000 kwh/month (which I am). It's just one flat rate no matter now much you use.

My new contract kicks in the first week of June. I will be paying about double the rate compared to my current contract that I've had since the beginning of the year. It's definitely a kick in the teeth.
HTownPops
I've actually got Think Energy right now and my contract ends in a couple weeks unfortunately. Gonna be going from 8/KwH to 15-18/KwH it seems…never did I imagine rates would soar to this level…
Dr. Horrible
I'm about to go through this myself. Not looking forward to it. Has locked in from 3 years ago and thought I had another year left but I was wrong.
12thAngryMan
AG
Based on this chart and recent events that have REPs adjusting their assessment of price risk, I'm guessing all options will be significantly more expensive. Add it to the list of things that are eating away my budget...

TXTransplant
HTownPops said:

I've actually got Think Energy right now and my contract ends in a couple weeks unfortunately. Gonna be going from 8/KwH to 15-18/KwH it seems…never did I imagine rates would soar to this level…

I couldn't find anything better. I've been bouncing around for the last 9 months or so on 3-4 month contracts, waiting for rates to go down. I lost that bet.

I didn't stay with Think when my contract expired last year because the renewal they offered me was high. But, if you're not a new customer, it seems all the companies do this. Lure you in with a low rate and then jack it up.

I'm with Frontier now, and they want a 36 month contact where they charge 20+ cents per kWh if you use less than 1000 a month. I only use >1000 maybe two months out of the year. When I started poking around, so many companies are doing this. Many have also added back a $4.99 or $9.99 monthly fee.
YouBet
AG
My last company didn't even survive. They went out of business and I found myself moved to Reliant mid contract.

Actually looking at this tomorrow as our contract is up. Current state of things is pretty bad and getting worse.
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
Surprisingly - my biggest gripe is not electric but actually water. The city we live in is charging us out the buttocks for water. Something like $300 per month cause we get charged just as much for sewer as we do water.
OE_Ag11
AG
If it's all lawn and pool at that rate might be cost effective to add another meter just for those two things so you don't get charged sewer on them. Would have to look at your usage and timeline to get your costs back. But dang that's a heafty bill.
OE_Ag11
AG
Also since it just effected us, thought I would share. I had a 3 year electric plan that was locked in at my old house a year ago. Since still moved within Texas, they allowed me no charge to transfer the plan to our new house. Didn't know if I could, wasn't even the same service district. Figured I would pass that info on.
planoaggie123
AG
Just renewed. Ouch. 16-17/K

Projections for the stomach are hard to swallow. From about $300 last year to $600+ this year. That on top of paying nearly $60 more per week on gas. Blah.
South Platte
Energy Ogre. Got me a year contract in the low 12's. It's the only way to go.
planoaggie123
AG
That is who I use....new plan effective last week....
TXTransplant
planoaggie123 said:

Just renewed. Ouch. 16-17/K

Projections for the stomach are hard to swallow. From about $300 last year to $600+ this year. That on top of paying nearly $60 more per week on gas. Blah.

I have really started taking note of price increases the last couple of months, and it's only getting worse by the week.

Property tax appraisal up 10%. Gas is $4.79/gallon (I need premium). Utility bill is about to double. I noticed yesterday the shampoo I like is more expensive by about $5 for the jumbo-sized container.

Don't get me started on groceries. I switched to Amazon for a few things because they seemed so much cheaper. But when I go to repurchase, if the item is even available, they jack they price up. They also price things higher if inventory is low. My favorite sparkling water went up from $15.49 for a pack of 24 to $24.99! It's one thing if prices go up across the board, but this just seems like gouging to me.

I feel that's what the utility companies are doing right now, too. Gouging us, especially those of us who use <1000 kwh per month.
planoaggie123
AG
Its tough. I do well so feel comfortable weathering this storm but these are the prices that will get people to eventually stop traveling, stop spending, etc.

Companies will not be increasing wages 8% to keep up with inflation....soon bank accounts will get low and credit card balances will get high....
TXTransplant
planoaggie123 said:

Its tough. I do well so feel comfortable weathering this storm but these are the prices that will get people to eventually stop traveling, stop spending, etc.

Companies will not be increasing wages 8% to keep up with inflation....soon bank accounts will get low and credit card balances will get high....

I'm thankful that I do well, too. But inflation is killing my mass balance. There is more $ going out in increased costs than what comes in, even with a promotion and raise.

Oh, another example of ridiculous prices. Friend of mine needs to go to Rhode Island in August and wants me to go with him. Roughly 3 months out. We checked prices to Boston on United - $1000 for a round trip ticket! To Boston! This is the one that kills me the most because I LOVE to travel. But I can't justify a $1000 plane ticket for anywhere in the continental US. I'm dreading the holiday pricing.
mts6175
AG
Just a suggestion - sign up for the longest contract you can. If you move, your disconnect fee is waived on most plans. We're not going to see rates go down anytime soon. If they do, the $200-300 disconnect fee will be worth it if you have to change.
Carlo4
AG
My three year plan at .04744/KWH minus Oncor fees comes due in September. I cannot believe the increase in prices. My bill is going to triple or quadruple overnight.
AggieDruggist89
AG
$0.45 kwh + through PG&E in California.

That's why we counter it with 38 solar panels.
South Platte
planoaggie123 said:

That is who I use....new plan effective last week....
Hmm, ok. I moved in March so I guess it's increased a ton.
Kenneth_2003
AG
If your contract is up in the next (I think 90 days) you can go ahead and lock in with a new REP.

Good friend of mine works in the REP business. She told me to find the best 5 year plan and lock that mess in. Prices are going up, they're going to keep going up, and when they do come back down they don't expect them to return to the levels we've grown accustomed to. (Yes, I'm parroting mts6175 just 4 posts up!)

I locked in $0.12 with Tara or Alamo (can't recall off hand but they're the same company behind the scenes) for 60 months. My contract starts with them on June 22.
TXTransplant
I just cannot wrap my head around locking in at this rate for 5 years.
Kenneth_2003
AG
I just wandered through Power2Choose and looked at plans in mine, my parents, and my childhood zip codes. The 60 month plans were cheaper by a significant amount over the shorter ones. 5-6 cents cheaper than a 12 month plan, based on 1000kwh/month.
YouBet
AG
Kenneth_2003 said:

If your contract is up in the next (I think 90 days) you can go ahead and lock in with a new REP.

Good friend of mine works in the REP business. She told me to find the best 5 year plan and lock that mess in. Prices are going up, they're going to keep going up, and when they do come back down they don't expect them to return to the levels we've grown accustomed to. (Yes, I'm parroting mts6175 just 4 posts up!)

I locked in $0.12 with Tara or Alamo (can't recall off hand but they're the same company behind the scenes) for 60 months. My contract starts with them on June 22.
I was about to add that simply based on reality everyone should at least do 2 years minimum. I've never done more than 1 year at a time so this is going to be a paradigm shift for me.
TXTransplant
Kenneth_2003 said:

I just wandered through Power2Choose and looked at plans in mine, my parents, and my childhood zip codes. The 60 month plans were cheaper by a significant amount over the shorter ones. 5-6 cents cheaper than a 12 month plan, based on 1000kwh/month.

That 1000 kwh basis is my problem. I only use that much maybe 2 months out of the year. <1000 kwh users are getting hammered right now.
topher06
TXTransplant said:

Kenneth_2003 said:

That 1000 kwh basis is my problem. I only use that much maybe 2 months out of the year. <1000 kwh users are getting hammered right now.
What do you guys keep your thermostats on, damn. Maybe it is cause I work from home and keep it reasonable during the day, but I blew right past 1,000 kwh in April and I imagine May to August will easily double that.
TXTransplant
72-74 in the summer. I live in a small house (2200 sq ft) that was built in the last 10 years, and there are only two of us. And we aren't home during the weekdays.

But even during Covid, when I was WFH, I still was <1000. It has to be in the high 90s for me to exceed that (usually happens in July, Aug, or Sept).

My usage this last cycle was 617. The cycle before that it was 396.
Kenneth_2003
AG
Gas heat... I live alone in a 3200sqft 4 bed 2.5 bath... I know...
My usage is anywhere from 300 -- 1300 a month. This month its been crazy hot so this is the soonest I've ever gone over 1000kwh. My next cycle will be well under but I'll also be in Egypt for 2 weeks.

I let the house warm up into the mid 80s during the day, then cooled back to 75 by the time I get home, and 72 overnight. Fans are on in bedroom and den all the time (spring -- fall). I need to have some duct work done upstairs, but it's not a pressing issue at the moment.
Weekends I typically hold a max of 75 during the day.

Winter I let it drop colder before the heat kicks in -- Upper 60s at the warmest.

I'm not in the OMG it's gotta be in the 60s to sleep crowd. If I'm warm i'll toss the covers to just a sheet or very light blanket.
TXTransplant
I have gas heat, too. In the winter months I'm <500.
YouBet
AG
God, we are doing something wrong. Average 1,800 - 2,000 kWh.

I engaged Energy Ogre today. Will see what they say. I did notice with my brief research that anything around 1,000 and below was in the 20c range. Damn.
TXTransplant
YouBet said:

God, we are doing something wrong. Average 1,800 - 2,000 kWh.

I engaged Energy Ogre today. Will see what they say. I did notice with my brief research that anything around 1,000 and below was in the 20c range. Damn.

I was able to get in the 16 cent range with Think. 16.9 for 500, 16.5 for 1000, and 16.4 for 2000. I could have done a little better with an 18 month contract.

Edited to add: Now that I'm back with Think, I'm looking at my account history. My original account with them originated in Aug of 2019. I got a 2 year contract that was 4.9 cents, not including fees; 8.6-9.4 including fees.

The contract I just signed with them that starts next week is for 12.1 cents, not including fees.

That is just crazy. I probably should have just renewed with them last August when I had the chance. I can't remember what they offered me. The most I ever used in one month was 1510 kWh, and in two years I only exceeded 1000 kwh 7 times.
Texker
AG
mts6175 said:

Just a suggestion - sign up for the longest contract you can. If you move, your disconnect fee is waived on most plans. We're not going to see rates go down anytime soon. If they do, the $200-300 disconnect fee will be worth it if you have to change.

Exactly my plan when my 9.6 contract ends in late August.
Kenneth_2003
AG
Check... I think you can lock in 90 or so days out.

I locked in with my new provider almost 60 days before my current contract expires.
TXTransplant
Given the impending increase to my utility bill, anyone have a recommendation for a great smart thermostat that isn't crazy expensive?

I'm finally going to break down and get one, like it's 2010.
OE_Ag11
AG
mts6175 said:

Even better which is what I said in my post above. If you move within Texas you can call them and they will switch your plan to your new meter so you don't have to get a new plan agt all. Just keep using the old locked in one if it's still the best rate. No hookup fees or anything, just did it with southwest power and light and even swapped tedc or whatever they are called and had no issues at all

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.