Business & Investing
Sponsored by

AM I THE ONLY ONE WAITING FOR A MAJOR MARKET AND REAL ESTATE CRASH?

27,500 Views | 150 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Harkrider 93
AggieDruggist89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
YouBet said:

I have cash to invest and am holding everywhere else because its simply too late to react, but damn if I didn't wish I had gone cash to some degree in retirement accounts.
I follow the rule of watch the masses and go the opposite way.

When I posted this last October, the market was on a bull run for 20 months and the DOW as at all time high nearing 36,000. Real Estate was going crazy. But, it just didn't feel right. Felt like a bubble. But of course most everyone would say "it's different this time."

Well....
Bird Poo
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

YouBet said:

I have cash to invest and am holding everywhere else because its simply too late to react, but damn if I didn't wish I had gone cash to some degree in retirement accounts.
I follow the rule of watch the masses and go the opposite way.

When I posted this last October, the market was on a bull run for 20 months and the DOW as at all time high nearing 36,000. Real Estate was going crazy. But, it just didn't feel right. Felt like a bubble. But of course most everyone would say "it's different this time."

Well....
Same. I'm 45 years old and pulled my entire 401K out of the market around Thanksgiving. Went 70% cash and 30% commodities. I've been making money the last 6 months.

If we truly enter "Jimmy Carter 2.0", I'm going to wait awhile before getting back into equities. I keep reading projections of max pain in 3rd-4th qtr 2022.

LMCane
hamean02 said:

I wouldn't hold your breath on real estate crashing.
Bumping...
Ag CPA
AG
If you go back to Q4/Q1 there is so much fail on this board; people making fun of those getting into cash, paying off a mortgage instead of putting the money into the market and earning that guaranteed 15% return, or being worried about a recession...

I realize that hindsight is 20/20 but there are some entertaining threads out there.
Fightin2010
AG
I am loading up on DRV (Inverse leveraged real estate ETF). I literally don't see any possible way real estate goes UP at this point. Best hope is flat but even that seems unlikely at 6.5% mortgage rates. Someone convince me I'm wrong. Once layoffs start to really happen I think the real estate market is doomed. Americans have left no room for anything but a perfect environment.... meaning they're maxed out on their $750k house payment at 3% interest much less the same house at 6.5% intetest (an extra $1000+ per month).

Edit: to clarify that last part
Serotonin
AG
Fightin2010 said:

I am loading up on DRV (Inverse leveraged real estate ETF). I literally don't see any possible way real estate goes UP at this point. Best hope is flat but even that seems unlikely at 6.5% mortgage rates. Someone convince me I'm wrong. Once layoffs start to really happen I think the real estate market is doomed. Americans have left no room for anything but a perfect environment.... meaning they're maxed out on their $750k house payment at 3% interest much less the same house at 6.5% intetest (an extra $1000+ per month).

How long are you planning on holding? Watch out for the inverse ETF decay.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Ag CPA said:

If you go back to Q4/Q1 there is so much fail on this board; people making fun of those getting into cash, paying off a mortgage instead of putting the money into the market and earning that guaranteed 15% return, or being worried about a recession...

I realize that hindsight is 20/20 but there are some entertaining threads out there.

Youth exuberance....

But no excuse for those who lived through the 80s, Y2K and 2007 crash.
Fightin2010
AG
I am not sure, but I am monitoring it very closely. Hopped in to it in the 40s and its around 61 now. I realize there is a lot of risk in inverse ETF's and gains can all disappear quickly.
txaggie_08
AG
Ag CPA said:

Yeah, there were those that were claiming that everyone should dump their moment into the stock market as a hedge against inflation. For anyone that listened, they got hit twice by inflation and a bear market.
AggieMainland
If someone was hypothetically 100% in cash in their 401k, with a VERY long time horizon, how would you recommend they get back into the market? (Obviously no right answers. Just curious.)
South Platte
Fightin2010 said:

I am not sure, but I am monitoring it very closely. Hopped in to it in the 40s and its around 61 now. I realize there is a lot of risk in inverse ETF's and gains can all disappear quickly.
Let me know what you think about this:
https://texags.com/forums/59/topics/3292574/replies/62296013

AggieDruggist89
AG
I'm going to buy back index funds I had before. Just have to decide when.
Bonfire97
AG
Quote:

Youth exuberance....

But no excuse for those who lived through the 80s, Y2K and 2007 crash.
Yep! I got out of college in 1998 (right before dot-com). I kept telling my father-in-law that I could make so much in the stock market I was going to retire in 10 years. He told me I was crazy and the way the markets were acting was not normal and that the returns we were seeing were not going to last. I remember going over to a co-workers desk and we were watching a tech stock go up 70 in one day (Google maybe?). I thought I knew better and that my father-in-law had no idea what he was talking about. Then, dot-com hit.

I should listened to him. Many remarks I have seen on Texags the last couple of years remind me of my mindset back then. LOL
Serotonin
AG
Ha, yes, every younger investor thought stocks only went one direction.

Remember this book?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dow_36,000

Interestingly enough the Dow started the year right around 36k before falling to sub-30 now.
FrioAg 00
AG
Malibu2 said:

Imagine an economy with $1 and 1 stock share worth $1. If I fire up the printing press and add a second dollar, my share price is now worth $2. It doesn't mean the company is doing better, it just means the price has to now reflect the inflated currency.

This is why in an inflationary environment waiting for a crash is probably a bad plan.

The purchasing power of cash is down 6.45% since this post.

The S&P is down 20.1%

Fightin2010
AG
I think the average Joe that bought the last few years is way out of his league. I have been looking in Dallas becuase my wife wants to get back near her family( and we even came in to some money recently), and I just can't justify the monthly payment because prices haven't adjusted while interest rates have doubled. This thing will likely crater not from those that want to sell to make a buck but from those that are forced to sell due to layoffs etc. Also imagine the risk some of these investors have taken on and if their tenants quit making rent becuase their wages didn't keep up or they got laid off. Imagine if that happens times ten. Having said all that, I am not sure if there will be a sharp correction but this is all we need to know about if real estate will continue to skyrocket. It at least needs a decent correction and could be a huge one if all these investors get under water.

FrioAg 00
AG
My job is fairly secure (about as much as any job can be). I do know the probability of me considering other jobs which require a move is just about zero given this real estate and interest environment.

I've got my home locked in with 8 years left on a 10 year ARM, high 2's. I've got my farm locked in for 30 years at mid 3's after you net out some annual ins and outs (financed via co-op). I also purchased both before the insane 2021 run up in valuations.

Don't tell me company though - don't want them getting too comfortable
South Platte
So that is assuming a new loan is written at any given time using the mortgage rate at that time.

I jumped into DRV yesterday, made 9% and sold this AM right after open. I don't know much about the play and need to look into it. I don't know what makes up the "Real Estate Index" and what companies it includes, and any news regarding those companies. The prospectus says that due to the leveraged nature of the fund, a flat Index results in losing ~ 5% due to debt obligations.
Cromagnum
AG
AggieMainland said:

If someone was hypothetically 100% in cash in their 401k, with a VERY long time horizon, how would you recommend they get back into the market? (Obviously no right answers. Just curious.)

FriendlyAg
Man, it's everyone thinking the market is going to crash makes me think it won't. The fundamentals in DFW are still so strong. I think it slows a bit but it certainly feels like business is still going well around here and people still need to transact and buy homes.

I think rates soften the commercial side a bit as demand slows but people are still going to transact there too.
harge57
AG
FrioAg 00 said:

Malibu2 said:

Imagine an economy with $1 and 1 stock share worth $1. If I fire up the printing press and add a second dollar, my share price is now worth $2. It doesn't mean the company is doing better, it just means the price has to now reflect the inflated currency.

This is why in an inflationary environment waiting for a crash is probably a bad plan.

The S&P is down 20.1%

Is that according to the manipulated CPI?

I'd bet purchasing power is really down closer to 20% than 6%.
YouBet
AG
Fightin2010 said:

I think the average Joe that bought the last few years is way out of his league. I have been looking in Dallas becuase my wife wants to get back near her family( and we even came in to some money recently), and I just can't justify the monthly payment because prices haven't adjusted while interest rates have doubled. This thing will likely crater not from those that want to sell to make a buck but from those that are forced to sell due to layoffs etc. Also imagine the risk some of these investors have taken on and if their tenants quit making rent becuase their wages didn't keep up or they got laid off. Imagine if that happens times ten. Having said all that, I am not sure if there will be a sharp correction but this is all we need to know about if real estate will continue to skyrocket. It at least needs a decent correction and could be a huge one if all these investors get under water.

This is confusing. Is she simply increasing mortgage payments of her own accord in proportion to home values?

It doesn't work that way.
hph6203
AG
It's saying newly originated 30 year mortgages on median priced homes has skyrocketed over the last year. Water is wet. That's why you're going to see transactions slow down (they have) and home values decrease (if they don't you're going to see, at minimum, a flattening of the appreciation).
YouBet
AG
hph6203 said:

It's saying newly originated 30 year mortgages on median priced homes has skyrocketed over the last year. Water is wet. That's why you're going to see transactions slow down (they have) and home values decrease (if they don't you're going to see, at minimum, a flattening of the appreciation).

Ah, I thought we were talking all mortgages. That makes more sense.
Seven Costanza
AG
One of the fundamental long-term issues is the shortage of homes. We have basically lost a decade of new home construction, something that seems nearly impossible to catch up to.

The chart is for new homes completed.
AggieDruggist89
AG
harge57 said:

FrioAg 00 said:

Malibu2 said:

The S&P is down 20.1%

Is that according to the manipulated CPI?

I'd bet purchasing power is really down closer to 20% than 6%.

Not if I'm buying discounted stocks and funds today.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Seven Costanza said:

One of the fundamental long-term issues is the shortage of homes. We have basically lost a decade of new home construction, something that seems nearly impossible to catch up to.

Which decade did we lose new home construction?
Scientific
AG
Seven Costanza said:

I've wondered about this before. How did we get so low on invesntory to begin with if leading up to 08, nationally the oversupply of construction was evident. Then the crash happened, and a wave of additional supply was unloaded. Since TX wasn't exposed like other places it skews our perception a bit. We got back into a seller's market rather quickly.

Can't predict the future, but I don't see how home construction can ever keep up pace. Even if we see a slow down, builders haven't been able to manage these higher costs. Seeing them price their homes every 3 months these last 2 years was insane.
YouBet
AG
Scientific said:

Seven Costanza said:

I've wondered about this before. How did we get so low on invesntory to begin with if leading up to 08, nationally the oversupply of construction was evident. Then the crash happened, and a wave of additional supply was unloaded. Since TX wasn't exposed like other places it skews our perception a bit. We got back into a seller's market rather quickly.

Can't predict the future, but I don't see how home construction can ever keep up pace. Even if we see a slow down, builders haven't been able to manage these higher costs. Seeing them price their homes every 3 months these last 2 years was insane.
Seems like you would have to look at this regionally and locally. Texas hasn't gone unscathed but maybe I'm missing your point. I think the demand coming into Texas has been so high for so many years that supply simply couldn't keep up. There were 10-11K people moving into DFW every single month for several years.

Dallas, specifically, had the most backlog demand for rental housing in the entire country and we couldn't keep up with it for a while. I think that has balanced out some with the sheer number of new residential buildings but not completely sure.
Scientific
AG
I recognize TX was an outlier in just about everything the last decade. But nationally, we were a sellers market again by 2016 or so. And then it only ramped up after that.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Real estate is regional yet driven by supply, demand, and interest rate.

Our new construction volume may have been lower during the past decade compared to the decade before but at the same time we do have 16 million vacant houses in the US. Of course vacant houses in Vermont and Alaska really don't help the shortage in the US Southeast.

But our population growth rate has been declining that may have some to do with slowed new constructions.
South Platte
Fightin2010 said:

Hey man, what are you thinking about DRV? I made a quick 9% on that day it went + $60 and sold. I wonder if the window for serious money to be made has already opened and closed. This thing has no momentum, but we are almost IDENTICAL to the price we were at 1 month ago before a huge runup starting the 2nd week of June.
Bonfire1996
AG
Seven Costanza said:

Seven Costanza said:

From 2007-2017 I was in homebuilding supply. Coming out of the crash, this chart was my lifeblood.

Did you know: it takes 1.5 million units of housing built annually just to make demand equilibrium. Tear downs, urban sprawl, immigration, education growth, age growth, wealth creation, printed money all factor into an equilibrium of 1.5 million units needing to be built annually.

So you nailed it with your question. How do we catch up to demand with that lost decade from 2010-2020? The answer is with supply. That's the only answer. It's why I answered on page 1 that the only areas who will experience a real estate correction are politically blue areas where people will flee.

In Texas, you won't have price corrections. You may have price stagnation, but when rates return to historical lows in 2023-2024, say hello to California housing prices and a metric shlt ton of Multifamily construction.
YouBet
AG
Bonfire1996 said:

Seven Costanza said:

Seven Costanza said:

From 2007-2017 I was in homebuilding supply. Coming out of the crash, this chart was my lifeblood.

Did you know: it takes 1.5 million units of housing built annually just to make demand equilibrium. Tear downs, urban sprawl, immigration, education growth, age growth, wealth creation, printed money all factor into an equilibrium of 1.5 million units needing to be built annually.

So you nailed it with your question. How do we catch up to demand with that lost decade from 2010-2020? The answer is with supply. That's the only answer. It's why I answered on page 1 that the only areas who will experience a real estate correction are politically blue areas where people will flee.

In Texas, you won't have price corrections. You may have price stagnation, but when rates return to historical lows in 2023-2024, say hello to California housing prices and a metric shlt ton of Multifamily construction.
Do you think blue areas within Texas (Austin, Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, El Paso) are outliers to this though? Honest question.

Austin is already falling from its peak based on other articles I've read but they were also an extreme outlier, nationally. Dallas seems to still be a hot market although we are seeing homes around us cutting prices. I would argue they put first prices out there that were simply stupid but they are still selling very highly. I'm talking about homes in the $750K+ though.
Bonfire1996
AG
YouBet said:

Bonfire1996 said:

Seven Costanza said:

Seven Costanza said:

Do you think blue areas within Texas (Austin, Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, El Paso) are outliers to this though? Honest question.

Austin is already falling from its peak based on other articles I've read but they were also an extreme outlier, nationally. Dallas seems to still be a hot market although we are seeing homes around us cutting prices. I would argue they put first prices out there that were simply stupid but they are still selling very highly. I'm talking about homes in the $750K+ though.
Man I don't know. I haven't given it that much thought.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.