Business & Investing
Sponsored by

AM I THE ONLY ONE WAITING FOR A MAJOR MARKET AND REAL ESTATE CRASH?

27,666 Views | 150 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Harkrider 93
AggieDruggist89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Why is Zillow selling most of their Phoenix portfolio at a loss and more than half of their houses in DFW at a loss if RE is continuing to appreciate?
lotsofhp
AG
Bonfire97 said:

I have come to the conclusion that there will never be a crash. Their game is to keep printing money and inflating the currency so they can pay back debt in cheaper dollars. We are all going to be paying $10 for a loaf of bread like Mexico. These fed A-holes know exactly what they are doing. Biden is just carrying this on. This started under Obama in 2008 and went on steroids under Trump in late 2019 when the fed started the injections prior to Covid. We are just now on an exponential curve. I'd like for someone to post facts proving me wrong.

The only conclusion I have come to is that absolutely none of us know what is going to happen.
Redstone
AG
Real estate will crash when cheap money becomes not that. Which it will.

Does nobody remember 2001 to 2008? Does no one remember W. (AWFUL, and I am not a leftist) holding big press conferences, talking about the "ownership society" ? And promoting "equality" , constantly? I do.

What did that mean in reality? It meant credit worthiness, lol who cares.

It will happen again.
Sully Dog
To be fair W went to congress a couple of times and warned about a potential crisis.
Deplorable Neanderthal Clinger
Sully Dog
AggieDruggist89 said:

Why is Zillow selling most of their Phoenix portfolio at a loss and more than half of their houses in DFW at a loss if RE is continuing to appreciate?
Is that because of the RE market, or because Zillow is a tech company that doesn't know **** about RE?
Deplorable Neanderthal Clinger
RogerEnright
AggieDruggist89 said:

hamean02 said:

I wouldn't hold your breath on real estate crashing.
Some signs of market shift in San Jose CA area....
There may be pockets of significant disruption in real estate (looking at you Canada), but you almost never have 2 of the same types of crashes consecutively.... fighting the last war and all.
Malibu
AggieDruggist89 said:

Zillow thought they could fire up algorithms to determine where arbitrage was possible. In general, that's a great strategy for market selection and I've been personally and professionally successful doing exactly that. Where they failed is asset selection. Knowing whether to invest in Phoenix/ Dallas doesn't mean you should buy THAT HOUSE in those markets. In fact, the profile of an asset seller that wants to sell to an ibuyer is textbook adverse selection. At scale, this strategy was doomed.

Real estate is still a capital and labor intensive business that requires looking under nooks and crannies, understanding major cost components (foundation, plumbing, HVAC, electric cost a lot more to fix than ugly cabinets), and actually looking around to know why 123 Main Street and 223 Main Street are completely different comps. A centralized robot can't do that yet.
AggieDruggist89
AG
As I posted on the RE forum, Zillow iBuyer sector was very profitable until recently. There are alot of truths to your point but if the market continues to rise with 50 cash offers with no contingencies, Zillow would still be in it.
Redstone
AG
This housing market is utterly insane. I really feel badly for you guys trying to first get in the market.

Absolutely brutal and ridiculous. Pat Buchanan was correct about everything - down with the ideology of invade the world, invite the world, in hock the world.

Supply and demand and incentives are always present. We have ravaged our middle and working class citizens with the FIRE (finance, insurance, real estate) moral criminality.
Diggity
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

As I posted on the RE forum, Zillow iBuyer sector was very profitable until recently. There are alot of truths to your point but if the market continues to rise with 50 cash offers with no contingencies, Zillow would still be in it.
as I posted in the follow-up to your post in the RE forum...no it wasn't

Casey TableTennis
AG
Diggity said:

AggieDruggist89 said:

as I posted in the follow-up to your post in the RE forum...no it wasn't

I have no dog in this hunt, but I don't see this as a rebuttal of aggiedruggist's comment.

Do you have a longer historical data set on their profit/loss? Of course you may be fully correct as there could be losses going back indefinitely, but two quarters is not the only definition of recent.

AggieDruggist, when were you referring to when you said "until recently"?
Diggity
AG
Zillow has never turned a profit with ibuying. The last few quarters (prior to the current one) were their best.

AggieDruggist was suggesting that a market correction is to blame for this, but Zillow couldn't even make money when appreciation was at its highest.

Their acquisition costs have always been too high in order to capture market share. It's a bad model plain and simple.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Diggity said:

Zillow has never turned a profit with ibuying. The last few quarters (prior to the current one) were their best.

AggieDruggist was suggesting that a market correction is to blame for this, but Zillow couldn't even make money when appreciation was at its highest.

Their acquisition costs have always been too high in order to capture market share. It's a bad model plain and simple.

Actually, Zillow did lose money with iBuyer program as overall even though they were able to turn profit on individual sales. Loss was mostly due to their overhead. Zillow execs were OK with some losses as it was nominal but decided to halt it as the recent losses are in hundreds of millions.

Some can certainly say the large losses of the recent was purely due to the overhead, increase in scalability and bad algorithm and the market has nothing to do with it. But the market has certainly slowed. And the fact that Zillow is willing to dump properties at a loss shows that the unending appreciation of RE isn't happening.
Stat Monitor Repairman
There is no way the economy is free floating.

I don't know what we are looking at, but it all seems fake.

We haven't seen the economic reaction to covid that I anticipated.

Its not here yet.

The longer it drags out the worse its gonna be.

People are acting like the economy is too big to fail. Thats the best way I can describe it.
azul_rain
Is it true a tik tok video took down Zillow
Stat Monitor Repairman
Whats up with this tiktok video?
azul_rain
Saw something about some tik tok video that was making the rounds on Twitter exposing zillows BS, another poster on WSB also shorted it prior to the drop
Ag CPA
AG
hamean02 said:

Which means it's about to crash; heard a lot of this in 07-08 as well.
lotsofhp
AG
Ag CPA said:

hamean02 said:

Which means it's about to crash; heard a lot of this in 07-08 as well.

It might or might not, but you're right about hearing this in 07-08.

In fact wasn't that whole thing built on the thought that it would never go down and so the loans got riskier and riskier
halfastros81
AG
There will always be significant corrections in real estate and stock markets . It's like the sun coming up in the East. When is the question.
BoDog
AG
I am in the process of pulling equity from my res and comm holdings for the coming crypto crash/correction in early 2022.

For a host of reasons, I feel crypto is where the world is headed!
Ag92NGranbury
AG
Ag92NGranbury said:

Unneeded stimulus --> Inflation --> Fed has to raise rates quicker --> Economic Recession

I'm loaded for bear.... just not sure when the bear will appear... 2023?
in phase 3 of my prediction...

https://finance.yahoo.com/video/market-sell-off-indicates-investors-193452962.html?contentType=VIDEO
Post removed:
by user
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Why is OP yelling at us though?
LMCane
General question:

for those who thought Apple/Google/MSFT would never go down and leveraged up to buy additional shares in the last few months...

is there a due date in which if the price has actually gone LOWER that they will have to sell on margin and reduce their holdings?

one of the youtube guys was mentioning that this issue is not being paid attention to but could be very bearish. particularly with millenials taking bitcoin or Fed Stimulus checks and trying to get rich quick.
bmks270
AG
It seems like it has to pull back. I think the stock market and real estate are on opposite sides of fear driven buying and selling.
AW 1880
AG
Three months from now and we might be in phase 4.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I wasn't yelling..

Hoping for a major dip soon. Then get out of CASH...
aggiepaintrain
AG
1 outta 2 ain't bad
OldArmyCT
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

I wasn't yelling..

A Major Dip gets us where we were maybe 6 months ago. Waiting gets you what?
jws87ag
AG
Sully Dog said:

I just watched a guy pay $19M for a ranch in desert part of Wyoming that can hold 550 head. This has to be a bubble.
That's just the sign of an idiot - a bubble is when a lender gives him a $17M loan on that ranch
barnag
jws87ag said:

Sully Dog said:

I just watched a guy pay $19M for a ranch in desert part of Wyoming that can hold 550 head. This has to be a bubble.
That's just the sign of an idiot - a bubble is when a lender gives him a $17M loan on that ranch

Maybe he paid cash
lb3
AG
jws87ag said:

Sully Dog said:

I know nothing about ranching but thought it might be fun to take a swag at evaluating an ag property. Assuming it takes 1.5 years to raise a 1000 pound Burger on Wheels (BoW) which then sells for $1.50 per pound you're looking at annual revenue of $1000 per BoW. Assuming feed, vet services, and other operating costs range between $250-$500 per BoW per year, annual profits are between $500 - $750 per BoW.

Using a 4x operating profit multiplier for determining value puts the ranch value between $1.1M and $1.65M.

For a sanity check I looked up lease prices in neighboring Montana and in 2021 leases were $26.50 per Animal Unit per month. (Unfortunately the industry doesn't use my more colorful BoW units.). Working backwards from a common 1% lease rate rule of thumb, puts the value of a 550 AU ranch at $1.45M.

In conclusion, the rancher above is either in the wind energy, mineral extraction, or money laundering business or following the adage that to retire as a millionaire in the Ag business, one must start with at least $10M.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
barnag said:

jws87ag said:

Sully Dog said:

Maybe he paid cash

I think that is his point.

A rich idiot buying an expensive property isn't a bubble. A poor idiot being given money they don't have to buy an expensive property is.
AggieDruggist89
AG
OldArmyCT said:

AggieDruggist89 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

I wasn't yelling..

A Major Dip gets us where we were maybe 6 months ago. Waiting gets you what?

Really? Dow was 36,430 six months ago.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.