Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Wealth preservation and decreasing income taxes

15,456 Views | 141 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by AmericanWealth
AmericanWealth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
EvenPar said:

AWS - I'm interested in hearing how you can promise 90% of the proceeds from a business sale? I have a business that receives offers and a there will be a sale at some point in the future. My exit could be within 1-10 years.

Email me and we can set up a time.

If you can control your income (1099, K-1) there may be more opportunity to improve your position based on what you want.
bkag9824
AG
Ragoo said:

If in Houston I know a good wealth planner that has everything you need in house.

Would appreciate the info. Email is username @ hotmail
AmericanWealth
EvenPar said:

AWS - I'm interested in hearing how you can promise 90% of the proceeds from a business sale? I have a business that receives offers and a there will be a sale at some point in the future. My exit could be within 1-10 years.

PM Sent
dlp3719
AG
You did not mention QBI. If you are not aware of QBI, then you may be missing a huge tax deduction for small businesses.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/ttlc.intuit.com/community/credits-and-deductions/help/what-is-the-qualified-business-income-qbi-deduction/00/27455/amp
Done7
Buy a bitcoin.
jac4
AG
First off, congrats OP. You have done well. Blue Diamond for you.

Secondly, I would say make a throwaway account for Bogleheads forums and post a similar question there. You may get a different perspective. They will probably want more details, but compiling those details is part of the exercise.

You are so far away from me that it seems inappropriate to give advice, but I would think you need involve professionals pretty darn quick. Investigate several leads. From here, but also from your professional network. You likely rub elbows with people in similar shoes as you.

Don't discount the bitcoin advice. You have money/assets to play around with. I've got a friend whose goal is own 1 bitcoin per kid. It's not his only investment obviously, but if I would have done when I could have afforded 1 bitcoin per kid (2013-2014) that would have turned out well.

tlh3842
AG
I'd appreciate the recommendation as well

Thadley0823 at Gmail
YouBet
AG
I wish I was this guy in Houston.
ThrowAwayAccount1973
Looks like I need help and will start soon. Never heard of QBI, maybe my CPA which I believe to be really good used it. I will ask.

Just had a talk with my CPA and paid an ungodly amount in taxes for 2020 that would put me in the 1% on taxes alone.
ORAggieFan
ThrowAwayAccount1973 said:

Looks like I need help and will start soon. Never heard of QBI, maybe my CPA which I believe to be really good used it. I will ask.

Just had a talk with my CPA and paid an ungodly amount in taxes for 2020 that would put me in the 1% on taxes alone.

I'm going to pay more in taxes this year than I made my first 10+ years combined. Both a good and bad problem to have.
AmericanWealth
ThrowAwayAccount1973 said:

Throwaway, really hate to see this.

The whole idea to grow your business is to keep as much as you can. Uncle Sam only wants to play by the rules.

If you give him ONE extra cent that you didn't have to because you didn't plan for it...that's on you.

You shouldn't do that. That money should go back into the business and your investments.

Family businesses, entrepreneurial businesses, business that are growing quickly, don't spend the time to learn how to control excessive taxes and are left without any other options from their CPA.

We live this everyday. It makes us sick to see someone pay extra money in taxes they didn't have to.
Especially for fellow Aggies.

Planning ahead. Thinking ahead is what it takes.

We solve for that.

cjsag94
AG
AWS, as others have said on this thread, your pitches have an uneasy feeling about them. To me, it's the vagueness which makes them sound like an Amway or timeshare pitch. Everything you say is to promise all this wonderful outcome that only you can provide, but to hear anything about what you actually do, you have to come to a meeting.

Maybe you should take the skepticism you are hearing in this thread at least a little bit to heart and consider adjusting your approach.
AmericanWealth
cjsag94 said:

AWS, as others have said on this thread, your pitches have an uneasy feeling about them. To me, it's the vagueness which makes them sound like an Amway or timeshare pitch. Everything you say is to promise all this wonderful outcome that only you can provide, but to hear anything about what you actually do, you have to come to a meeting.

Maybe you should take the skepticism you are hearing in this thread at least a little bit to heart and consider adjusting your approach.

We have been very transparent in answering questions, and are happy to continue to do so.

Just as an attorney representing a case, we cannot speak as to what precise laws and code apply until we understand the specific position of an individual.

Would you trust an attorney that promises to win your case without ever knowing the facts or speaking with you?

Creating a specific solution and strategy takes a conversation.

We are happy to have one.
cjsag94
AG
Ok, well, my assumption is that you simply sell insurance products or legal document creation.

You attract prospects to a meeting with the suggestion you have some magic potion to not pay taxes (which may come at a different/deferred expense). Even your comment above where you suggest you can't mention any actual strategies as examples because you don't know specifics of a situation is shady (really, comparing this to a lawyer who can't comment on a case?).

I'm not saying you are lying or that you can't do what you promise, it just feels like you are hiding something.

Just letting you know my perception of your marketing, which obviously others agree with. Feel free to ignore if you'd like.
AmericanWealth
cjsag94 said:

Ok, well, my assumption is that you simply sell insurance products or legal document creation.

You attract prospects to a meeting with the suggestion you have some magic potion to not pay taxes (which may come at a different/deferred expense). Even your comment above where you suggest you can't mention any actual strategies as examples because you don't know specifics of a situation is shady (really, comparing this to a lawyer who can't comment on a case?).

I'm not saying you are lying or that you can't do what you promise, it just feels like you are hiding something.

Just letting you know my perception of your marketing, which obviously others agree with. Feel free to ignore if you'd like.

Really appreciate it cjsag94!

We do solve problems that our clients haven't been able to find solutions for or didn't know existed.

Are there commonalities in the strategies used to succeed in this? You bet.

But its the application to the individual and circumstance which is the distinction, and warrants the conversation.

Prudent planning wins every time. We know what plans work really well. Its what plan you need to work for you is the question.
LostInLA07
AG
Can you give us just a taste of the methodologies you propose to defer taxes on passive income? Perhaps take a hypothetical situation you're familiar with…?
one MEEN Ag
AG
There's another wealth preservation group on here that talks about using a copyrighted spendthrift trust to defer taxes and could even overcome imminent domain attempts (but that they don't want it to be used a political tool). They have at least shared that much.

Lets take the "average" person on this board. They're married with 2ish kids and are 2/3rd through their careers. Nest egg is .6-1 million in stocks, own their own home or could easily pay it off. They're interested in getting into some real estate venture and needs help protecting their assets as they switch to being a business owner. There's grandparents that maybe need some help in their old age, kids going to college soon, and a wife who wants to travel.

What is the base strategy and the minimum values you would need to pull it off? Is a trust worth it if you've only got 500k? I mean, you're clearly out of DIY land here so going through some hypotheticals isn't going to send us all scurrying to LegalZoom.

administrative errors
AmericanWealth
one MEEN Ag said:

There's another wealth preservation group on here that talks about using a copyrighted spendthrift trust to defer taxes and could even overcome imminent domain attempts (but that they don't want it to be used a political tool). They have at least shared that much.

Lets take the "average" person on this board. They're married with 2ish kids and are 2/3rd through their careers. Nest egg is .6-1 million in stocks, own their own home or could easily pay it off. They're interested in getting into some real estate venture and needs help protecting their assets as they switch to being a business owner. There's grandparents that maybe need some help in their old age, kids going to college soon, and a wife who wants to travel.

What is the base strategy and the minimum values you would need to pull it off? Is a trust worth it if you've only got 500k? I mean, you're clearly out of DIY land here so going through some hypotheticals isn't going to send us all scurrying to LegalZoom.

Meen,

I'd say the average Aggie on here may be doing a little better, but that's just me.

Our strategies work best for business owners with at least $50K in tax liabilities and/or investors with significant capital gains exposure.

As a W-2 employee our hands are tied to take any preventative measures as Joe Biden gets his cut before you do. If you can as an employee switch to 1099 this would be extremely beneficial.

If you are a W-2 employee with a a retirement of at least $1MM you can expect that to be worth $650-$700K or worse after Biden has his way upon mandatory withdrawal.

On Tuesday @12:15-12:45 we will be walking through how to keep 90%+ of all retirement money. With what we are hearing out of Washington right now I HIGHLY suggest you register and at least catch the recording. Also, if you do not plan ahead for what Washington is proposing than you can expect to pay out of pocket for Medicare and have your Social Security reduced.

This is not a joke.

If you like what you hear we can talk about your specific situation privately.

https://americanwealthstrategist.hubspotpagebuilder.com/texags-oct-12
Baby Billy
AG
Yikes
FTAco07
AG
This may not be a joke, but it is sketchy
AmericanWealth
FTAco07 said:

This may not be a joke, but it is sketchy

What's sketchy is the hidden tax inside Medicare that automatically deducts from your Social Security based on your retirement income.

There are ways to defend it but it takes planning. Otherwise if you are are high income earner you will pay out of pocket ($400-$500K) for Medicare and receive zero Social Security.

You can look at the information and do something about it or stick you head in the sand. Either way the government has an ever expanding plan for your money.

That choice is up to you which plan you experience.
cheeky
AG
one MEEN Ag said:

Copyright a Trust? What all bull **** marketing gimmick.
cheeky
AG
AmericanWealth said:

Fiduciary said:

Is there a private letter ruling on this strategy? Does it involve life insurance?

Yes we have the appropriate PLR's. We will be happy to walk you though it assuming you have a need.

Let's have a conversation and discuss what you want to accomplish.

And then you can nerd out over the technicals with our staff.

Need? Sir I've been in wealth management, tax and trust planning for over 25 years and worked all over Wall Street. I'm simply seeking some specifics on what you're selling to these good folks, which you seem reluctant to provide. It may have worked for a family with interest in a beer company once upon a time but I don't see that you have anything concrete to warrant such broad solicitations for that success. At least nothing you're willing to share thus far. A Private Letter Ruling is an extremely narrow and case specific interpretation of tax law. It cannot necessarily be packaged and sold to others. Your potential customers deserve to know up front that you're operating in an obvious gray area of the law. And one that may require significant expenses to see through with or without defending against an IRS challenge.
cheeky
AG
I do perceive that you're likely an honorable and sharp individual, Cort. Feel free to PM me if you want to get in the weeds with your strategy. Since it appears your firm doesn't have expertise in asset management, perhaps I can be of assistance.

CFP, CIMA, CPWA
one MEEN Ag
AG
Fiduciary said:

one MEEN Ag said:

Copyright a Trust? What all bull **** marketing gimmick.
Fid,

You know way more than me about this. There is another wealth preservation company whose angle is exactly that. Their position is they have enough IRS experience and successful legal challenges that they know the special provisions in this trust will prevail in court. So they sell a specialized vehicle that they know how to prevent/navigate IRS challenges. So they copyrighted it and sell it as a legally vetted tax strategy.

https://www.themasterstrust.org/about_us.html I don't think this is their website of the company that is on this board, but just a similar concept. I can't remember fully.

Is this all bunk? Overselling their capabilities? Misrepresenting how aggressive this vehicle is and its potential legal issues? Potentially true with high tradeoffs?

AmericanWealth
Fiduciary said:

I do perceive that you're likely an honorable and sharp individual, Cort. Feel free to PM me if you want to get in the weeds with your strategy. Since it appears your firm doesn't have expertise in asset management, perhaps I can be of assistance.

CFP, CIMA, CPWA

You bet.

Our focus isn't on asset management our creating a revenue strategy. We function as a multi-family office coordinating advisors for the benefit and objectives of the client.

Our specialty is enhanced asset protection using high level tax strategies in concert with proactive estate planning.

We work with many CFP's, and happy to have a conversation.
LostInLA07
AG
That is an interesting site. I would be shocked but happy to learn that what they are describing is compliant with IRS tax code...but I have zero expertise in that regard so just applying common sense. It would essentially be a self directed IRA or 401k with unlimited tax deferred contributions and no early withdrawal penalty.
aggiebq03+
AmericanWealth said:

As a W-2 employee our hands are tied to take any preventative measures as Joe Biden gets his cut before you do. If you can as an employee switch to 1099 this would be extremely beneficial.

I'm curious what major tax strategy can be different if you are W-2 with company withholding vs having to make quarterly estimated tax payments when self employed? The tax return is done in the Spring and as far as I know the tax tables don't say W-2 people owe more in tax.

Joe doesn't get his cut any earlier in either case, so what are you talking about?

Statements like this are what makes everyone skeptical.
MAS444
AG
I believe AWS also uses/promotes some sort of "patented trust" that they are also a party to. Cort - please correct me if I'm wrong.
OldArmyCT
AG
I have no idea where you live but Larry lightfoot at this firm http://jrbecklaw.com/our-attorneys/
is an estate attorney and is very, very good. He also likes working with Aggies since he is one. What you get from an attorney is a strategy and normally a one-time cost. Firms generally like you to be a continuing revenue stream.
AmericanWealth
aggiebq03+ said:

AmericanWealth said:

I'm curious what major tax strategy can be different if you are W-2 with company withholding vs having to make quarterly estimated tax payments when self employed? The tax return is done in the Spring and as far as I know the tax tables don't say W-2 people owe more in tax.

Joe doesn't get his cut any earlier in either case, so what are you talking about?

You are right, W-2 people have no tax mitigation options regarding reducing their tax liability on their income, a major part of the Uncle Sam plan.

People that do have tremendous options are those that have K-1, 1099, rental, royalties, and other sources of income.

However, W-2 employees still retire and they still have retirement accounts. They still have the ability to reduce the taxes on those retirement accounts.
aggiebq03+
AmericanWealth said:

aggiebq03+ said:

AmericanWealth said:

You are right, W-2 people have no tax mitigation options regarding reducing their tax liability on their income, a major part of the Uncle Sam plan.

People that do have tremendous options are those that have K-1, 1099, rental, royalties, and other sources of income.

However, W-2 employees still retire and they still have retirement accounts. They still have the ability to reduce the taxes on those retirement accounts.

Explain further?
You can leave off rental, royalties, and other. W-2 employees can have those also.
AmericanWealth
BQ you have any income you want.

But W-2 does allow for any tax mitigation to be applied as the taxes are automatically deducted.
one MEEN Ag
AG
aggiebq03+ said:

AmericanWealth said:

aggiebq03+ said:

AmericanWealth said:

Explain further?
You can leave off rental, royalties, and other. W-2 employees can have those also.

You're not leaving it off, but if as the owner of your company you can choose what is your salary versus an owners dividend. As well as access to retirement vehicles like solo401k where you can dump 51k tax free into as the owner. There's a lot more room to maneuver. And that's just small ball. Thats not even getting into more complex tax structures.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.