Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Crypto-trading thread

810,147 Views | 8676 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by LatinAggie1997
Leander
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Current holdings:

- MOG Coin
- ETH
- PENDLE
- EIGEN
- SOL
- Redacted Remilio Babies (NFT)
- Bitcoin Puppets (NFT/Ordinal)
Leander
LatinAggie1997
AG
Watch your SOL bags folks. No surprise I never liked it but when institutions recognize and complain about the same things many retailers do, it is likely a warning sign.
The SEC halted the ETF and Van Eck vocalizing concerns.
WolfCall
AG
Some recent articles about XRP (infra) may be of interest to you Crypto investors.
The first two articles regarding Japan's Central Bank official announcement stating, in part: "....every bank in Japan will adopt XRP by 2025..." should resolve doubts some of you may have had about XRP's resilience vis a vis its legal battles in the U.S.

https://coinmarketcap.com/community/articles/66c2cdc0a175853f0a025806/
Quote:

Market Musing-g
Japan's Central Bank Officially Announces Every Bank in Japan Will Adopt XRP by 2025
By Crypto News Flash Created 7 days ago, last updated 6 days ago

https://techreport.com/crypto-news/banks-in-japan-to-adopt-xrp-by-2025-sbi-ceo-says/
Quote:

Crypto News: Banks in Japan to Adopt $XRP by 2025, SBI CEO Says
By Lora Pance Crypto & Tech Content Writer
Updated: August 22, 2024 | 2:41 AM
  • The Strategic Business Innovator Group (SBI) plans to integrate $XRP, the native token of the Ripple ecosystem, into Japan's mainstream financial system by 2025.
  • Consumers paying in $XRP will earn cashback in CryptoTradingFund ($CTF) tokens.
  • Throughout the years, Ripple has forged partnerships with banks and major financial industry players on every continent.

$XRP Goes Mainstream in Japan
In 2025, Japanese bank customers will be able to pay in $XRP at a wide range of online and offline merchants.
As one of the world's leading financial services firms headquartered in Japan, SBI is a major contributor to the integration of $XRP payments.

Recently, Yo****aka Kitao shared his plan to launch the SBI VCTrade platform for $XRP on-ramp purchases using the Japanese Yen. ......
https://timestabloid.com/xrp-adoption-boosted-as-159-nations-set-to-adopt-brics-new-payment-system/
Quote:

CryptocurrencyNews
XRP Adoption Boosted As 159 Nations Set to Adopt BRICS New Payment System
By Adedoyin Aka August 19, 2024

Recall that the BRICS alliance consisting of Brazil, Russia, India, China, and South Africa- in a significant push for financial sovereignty, is pioneering an autonomous payment system, intending to diminish dependence on the U.S. dollar.......

https://www.cointribune.com/en/crypto-is-xrp-taking-over-the-world/
Quote:

Home News Finance News
Crypto: Is XRP Taking Over the World?
Sat 24 Aug 2024 by Luc Jose A.

In a context where regulatory uncertainty in the United States threatens to hinder the rise of cryptocurrencies, XRP, the token developed by Ripple, continues to assert its presence on the international stage. The rapid expansion of XRP, supported by strategic partnerships and growing adoption, demonstrates Ripple's resilience in the face of legal challenges, as well as the maturity of blockchain technology in the field of cross-border payments.

Ripple asserts itself across all continents......

LatinAggie1997
AG
I've mentioned two Cardano native tokens a while back and now one might be the verge of a huge announcement. Iagon and Nuvola. They have a symbiotic relationship so both will benefit from the mutualism.

Iagon currently has a pilot program being tested by a Fortune 100 company. If everything goes well it will be huge. A real world use case that immediately onboards millions.

Announcement should happen end of this month or mid next month. I have my fingers crossed.
AggieT
AG
Late to the party, and would prefer not to read the entire thread.

Can anyone give me a shove in the right direction to begin investing in crypto?

1. Where to buy.
2. Where to store.
3. General portfolio allocations.
4. Rookie mistakes to avoid.
5. Taxes
6. Anything else? Avoiding fees?
ac04
highly recommend reading this white paper from fidelity before you buy anything

https://www.fidelitydigitalassets.com/research-and-insights/bitcoin-first-revisited

Quote:

Once investors have decided to invest in digital assets, the next question becomes, "Which one?" Of course, bitcoin is the most recognized, first-ever digital asset, but there are hundredseven thousands of other digital assets in the ecosystem.

One of the first concerns investors have regarding bitcoin is, as the first digital asset, it may be vulnerable to innovative destruction from competitors (such as the story of MySpace and Facebook). Another common consideration surrounding bitcoin is whether it offers the same potential reward or upside as some of the newer and smaller digital assets that have emerged.

In this paper, we propose:
  • Bitcoin is best understood as a monetary good and one of the primary investment theses for bitcoin is as the store of value asset in an increasingly digital world.
  • Bitcoin is fundamentally different from any other digital asset. No other digital asset is likely to improve upon bitcoin as a monetary good because bitcoin is the most (relative to other digital assets) secure, decentralized, sound digital money and any "improvement" will potentially face trade-offs.
  • There is not necessarily mutual exclusivity between the success of the Bitcoin network and all other digital asset networks. Rather, the rest of the digital asset ecosystem can fulfill different needs or solve other problems that bitcoin simply does not.
  • Other non-bitcoin projects should be evaluated from a different perspective than bitcoin.
  • Bitcoin should be considered an entry point for traditional allocators looking to gain exposure to digital assets.
  • Investors should hold two distinctly separate frameworks for considering investment in this digital asset ecosystem. The first framework examines the inclusion of bitcoin as an emerging monetary good, and the second considers the addition of other digital assets that exhibit venture capital-like properties.

AggieT
AG
Excellent. Thanks.
MRB10
AG
That white paper is a good place to start. I also recommend "The Bullish Case for Bitcoin" to friends. It's a 100 page primer that usually helps people decide whether they want more content or if it's not their cup of tea.

There are a number of places to buy it, and many storage options, but I would encourage you to not rush into it. There is a thread on the 1st page of B&I that illustrates what ignorance can result in.
AggieT
AG
I'll read this next. The Fidelity paper was a great start.

Yeah, I read that thread which led to a weekend of researching storage options. While probably simple once learned, it does get confusing. Is leaving everything on an exchange reasonably secure?
AggieT
AG
Okay, read the book (home sick today with nothing to do). Definitely my cup of tea. What else ya got?
LatinAggie1997
AG
For those not researching what I've been commenting..

MRB10
AG
Layered Money
The Bitcoin Standard

I wouldn't leave much on an exchange. Hardware devices(aka cold storage) are the current gold standard.

Ledger and Trezor are both very beginner friendly and have good apps. There are others that are less user friendly that are arguably more secure you can look into down the road.
jamey
AG
MRB10 said:

Layered Money
The Bitcoin Standard

I wouldn't leave much on an exchange. Hardware devices(aka cold storage) are the current gold standard.

Ledger and Trezor are both very beginner friendly and have good apps. There are others that are less user friendly that are arguably more secure you can look into down the road.

Why not just buy IBIT and let Blackrock deal with storage?
MRB10
AG
Do you want a physical gold or PHYS?

IBIT is an IOU with dollar redemption and Is fine if all you want is exposure to bitcoins price appreciation. However, you still have counterparty risk and only have true sovereignty when you own the coins on a key only you can access.
jamey
AG
MRB10 said:

Do you want a physical gold or PHYS?

IBIT is an IOU with dollar redemption and Is fine if all you want is exposure to bitcoins price appreciation. However, you still have counterparty risk and only have true sovereignty when you own the coins on a key only you can access.

You don't have to essentially get a degree or take some classes in gold to own gold. That other thread proves my concern over crypto. Its still a tech savvy thing and that can only go so far unless something like IBIT can act as an intermediary
TxAG#2011
Security risks of hardware wallets have surpassed on chain storage these days and it's not even close.
MRB10
AG
Learning how to effectively self custody Bitcoin is undoubtedly more complicated than putting gold in a safe. My point about IBIT being an IOU that gets you dollars, not Bitcoin, and only fully realizing all of the benefits that Bitcoin offers is still valid.

I'm a liberal arts major who happens to read a lot and doesn't work in tech. If I can figure it out, most can figure it out.
MRB10
AG
Does "on chain storage" refer to storage on a CEX or other hot wallet?
TxAG#2011
MRB10 said:

Does "on chain storage" refer to storage on a CEX or other hot wallet?
CEX storage. Part of the value of bitcoin is the liquidity with the US dollar as well, so still enjoying the benefits.

But at this point any newcomer just needs to use an ETF. A million times easier to own, tax purposes, and now leverage trading when the options arrive.
AggieT
AG
No so? Has chain storage become more secure? What has changed?
MRB10
AG
You're saying you're OK giving Coinbase the ability to dictate how quickly you can withdraw, censor which addresses you can send to, and trust that they're fully reserved? That's a HARD pass for me.

The issues people have discussed online, when it comes to hardware wallets, pale in comparison. Also, show me the last time a Ledger, Coldcard, or Trezor "vulnerability" resulted in a large number of their customers losing their Bitcoin. I'll wait.
TxAG#2011
MRB10 said:

You're saying you're OK giving Coinbase the ability to dictate how quickly you can withdraw, censor which addresses you can send to, and trust that they're fully reserved? That's a HARD pass for me.

The issues people have discussed online, when it comes to hardware wallets, pale in comparison. Also, show me the last time a Ledger, Coldcard, or Trezor "vulnerability" resulted in a large number of their customers losing their Bitcoin. I'll wait.
You can start by just realizing a fair amount of people over time just lose track of their wallets, keys, and therefore all of their crypto. People die and leave no trace of it. There was a thread on here last week with the guy losing track of his wallet. Happens all the time.

Then there is security of the keys themselves. You have to write it down, put it somewhere right? That is a significant security vulnerability.

Then there are just untold instances of people sending crypto to and from the wrong address. Also happens all the time.

These three things alone are the reason 99% of people in 1st world countries should be using on-chain storage.

Specifically to ledger/trezor whatever, I own one and they had a data breach and everyone that bought one got hit with phishing attacks. There was an attack years ago people manage to spoof the user interface into sending to the wrong address. People buying wallets that already been compromised, etc.

7 years ago I'd agree with you but present day, no way.
MRB10
AG
TxAG#2011 said:

MRB10 said:

You can start by just realizing a fair amount of people over time just lose track of their wallets, keys, and therefore all of their crypto. People die and leave no trace of it. There was a thread on here last week with the guy losing track of his wallet. Happens all the time. A person being unorganized is not a vulnerability of the asset or a hardware device. A small amount of effort goes a long way.

Then there is security of the keys themselves. You have to write it down, put it somewhere right? That is a significant security vulnerability. Yes, but you'll need to do this with your Coinbase/other hot wallet too. This isn't unique to cold storage or hardware devices.

Then there are just untold instances of people sending crypto to and from the wrong address. Also happens all the time. This is not unique to cold storage or hardware devices. A user can just as easily send Bitcoin to the wrong address from Coinbase as they can from Ledger Live. A small amount of effort goes a long way.

These three things alone are the reason 99% of people in 1st world countries should be using on-chain storage. See above. None of those three support your claim.

Specifically to ledger/trezor whatever, I own one and they had a data breach and everyone that bought one got hit with phishing attacks. There was an attack years ago people manage to spoof the user interface into sending to the wrong address. People buying wallets that already been compromised, etc. I own two ledgers and received no phishing emails/texts. Regardless, let's not pretend that cyber breaches are unique to Bitcoin companies. More traditional finance companies I have accounts with have been hacked than Bitcoin companies.

The user interface issue was from a bad actor creating a fake website with a compromised download link. No one who updates LL from Ledger was impacted. Again, this can happen with any software download and is not unique to hardware devices. A little effort can go a long way.

7 years ago I'd agree with you but present day, no way.
TxAG#2011
Those are vulnerabilities whether you agree or not. Also Coinbase or ETFs accounts don't use seed phrases or require you to input addresses when buying and selling, hence "onchain."

It's nonsensical at this point to tell your average Joe to buy a hardware wallet.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Buying a hardware wallet for crypto is very similar to buying an actual wallet for cash with a combination lock keeping it closed. The difference being that you are hosed if you forget the combo on the hardware wallet, where you can brute force your way into a real wallet. If you misplace either though, you are only hosed with the real wallet. You can recover the amount on the hardware wallet.

The hardware wallet stuff really is no more complicated than our current banking system, it is just external to it and you aren't being taught it from the time you are in kindergarten. If you asked someone who had been in a coma from the age of 4 to 24 how to set up a bank account, they would be just as confused as asking them how to set up a cold or hot wallet with crypto.

It takes education either way.
MRB10
AG
This is something we will never agree on. You do you.
LatinAggie1997
AG
I never keep anything on CEXS. Read the fine print. Too many possible negative to nightmare scenarios.

I use 4 hot wallets and have had no issues. For long term large holds put in cold storage.
TTUArmy
What would crypto investors/users say are some of the biggest sticking points or obstacles for large scale adoption by the general public?

I'm aware it's been around awhile. And, I was really taken by the idea of currencies operating outside of the prying eyes of government. Will admit that I even dabbled in it myself to be familiar with the functionality. The complexity in learning curve is certainly there for new users.

When BTC was turned into, what I would consider, a hedge tool by large institutions, I didn't rejoice like many others. I'm a physical precious metals investor, so I understand all too well the manipulation angle.

So, what would you guys say keeps more people from buying in to crypto?
MRB10
AG
My anecdotal experience talking to friends, family, and coworkers…

For folks who are interested, but haven't pulled the trigger, Bitcoin has a perceived level of complexity that intimidates people. There is complexity but it can be figured out reasonably quick with a bit of reading and trial and error. It's usually either that or they think they've missed the opportunity to "buy the dip".

For folks who are still completely dismissive, it's any number of things. They don't see the need, think it's a scam, compare it to tulips, or just don't care.

LatinAggie1997
AG
TTUArmy said:

What would crypto investors/users say are some of the biggest sticking points or obstacles for large scale adoption by the general public?

I'm aware it's been around awhile. And, I was really taken by the idea of currencies operating outside of the prying eyes of government. Will admit that I even dabbled in it myself to be familiar with the functionality. The complexity in learning curve is certainly there for new users.

When BTC was turned into, what I would consider, a hedge tool by large institutions, I didn't rejoice like many others. I'm a physical precious metals investor, so I understand all too well the manipulation angle.

Not seeing it widely discussed on the news as it relates to things they already know.

Cardano native tokens Iagon and Nuvola are blowing up and will continue to do so. I mentioned them a while back.
Iagon has a pilot program with a Fortune 100 company to implement their technology. If successful, it will onboard millions of users instantly. I think it is one of the medical insurance companies- United, Anthem, Human, etc.

That announcement will make the MSM and folks will relate to it. "A Fortune 100 health insurance company is now using blockchain technology for data storage and compute." Iagon is a crypto that offers decentralized cloud storage, making it kore reliable z secure, and inexpensive.
ac04
TTUArmy said:

i find people who haven't jumped in yet generally fall into at least one of four categories

1) statists who believe that only governments can create money
2) people who believe what the TV tells them RE: boiling the oceans, use by criminals, bitcoin getting "hacked" etc.
3) people who haven't yet figured out that fiat is broken because they're doing ok
4) people who are bitter that they didn't buy bitcoin when they first heard about it and aren't humble enough to correct their mistake

sadly the vast majority of the general population is not intellectually curious at all, so few are willing to put in the work to understand what bitcoin is and why its important. if it can't be explained to them in a 30 second tiktok they're out.
LatinAggie1997
AG
Nuvola has almost tripled since I mentioned 3-4 months ago. Research it. Enormous potential still.
My Cardano bags
ADA, IAGON, Nuvola, OrcFax, C3, Gero, Strike (switched from Butane), WMT, Copi

I'm going silent for a while so hopefully everybody does well with their bags.
First Page Refresh
Page 248 of 248

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.