Business & Investing
Sponsored by

IBKR - Trader Workstation (TWS) Setups

9,915 Views | 102 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by FJ43
ClutchCityAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I am able to get the ATR graph underneath the volume bars, but how did you get the bands on the chart? Kelter channels?
Let it ride
Maximus_Meridius
AG
Yup
ClutchCityAg
Maximus_Meridius said:

Yup
Which period do you use? 14?
Let it ride
Maximus_Meridius
AG
I have mine set up for 21, and I have 3 on one chart at 1, 2, and 3 Standard Deviations.
ClutchCityAg
Maximus_Meridius said:

I have mine set up for 21, and I have 3 on one chart at 1, 2, and 3 Standard Deviations.
Okay awesome thanks for the help!
Let it ride
Maximus_Meridius
AG
No prob, I think this is actually what 30k uses on his charts, too.
FJ43
Maximus_Meridius said:

Yep it is. I created them for the TOS platform and posted it. I used Keltner Channels on TWS but don't have a way to share. I changed the colors to match what I am used to for each line as well. Nice to have on TWS Mosaic as an independent tab linked to you main tab so you can quickly see ATRs.
Wealth gained hastily will dwindle. but whoever gathers little by little will increase it.
Proverbs 13:11

ClutchCityAg
FJ43 said:

Maximus_Meridius said:

Yep it is. I created them for the TOS platform and posted it. I used Keltner Channels on TWS but don't have a way to share. I changed the colors to match what I am used to for each line as well. Nice to have on TWS Mosaic as an independent tab linked to you main tab so you can quickly see ATRs.
Yeah I like how you can have the separate tabs, Ive got about 6 tabs now and growing rapidly haha
Let it ride
Maximus_Meridius
AG
I really only use 1 tab that has 4 windows: the daily ATR, daily moving averages, 1 minute chart, and my watchlist. If I want to make a trade, I just right click to bring up a separate window. So far it's working for me.

One thing I can't figure out is how to scroll to the right so I can extend my trendlines farther than today.
ClutchCityAg
Maximus_Meridius said:

I really only use 1 tab that has 4 windows: the daily ATR, daily moving averages, 1 minute chart, and my watchlist. If I want to make a trade, I just right click to bring up a separate window. So far it's working for me.

One thing I can't figure out is how to scroll to the right so I can extend my trendlines farther than today.

This setting might be what you are looking for, it extends your trend lines indefinitely
Let it ride
FJ43
ClutchCityAg said:

FJ43 said:

Maximus_Meridius said:

Yeah I like how you can have the separate tabs, Ive got about 6 tabs now and growing rapidly haha
Set a few up as New Window Group and they are detached so you can slide them onto different screens. If you close that way the setting will reman. Pretty cool to create as many as you want and and not interrupt your primary trade screen. They are just minimized otherwise.
Wealth gained hastily will dwindle. but whoever gathers little by little will increase it.

Maximus_Meridius
AG
That definitely helped, but I just found the little slider at the bottom right corner, where the right Y axis meets the X there's a little slider to add some buffer. Still not exactly what I'm looking for, but it's something...
spud1910
AG
I brought this from the stock market thread. "When you have determined you have shares net free, go to account management, transfer positions, internal and transfer your net free shares to a secondary account."

I can't find this for internal transfer. Can someone help me out?
ClutchCityAg
As mentioned on the main trading thread, I have been exploring the book trader and really like it for scalping. Here is a screencap of my setup for it, pretty basic.

Also, check out this guy's youtube channel. He has some great videos for setting up your IBKR TWS for different things:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz4hZwlhjYM3DQTxV***AeA
Let it ride
Maximus_Meridius
AG
FJ43 said:

ClutchCityAg said:

FJ43 said:

Maximus_Meridius said:

Set a few up as New Window Group and they are detached so you can slide them onto different screens. If you close that way the setting will reman. Pretty cool to create as many as you want and and not interrupt your primary trade screen. They are just minimized otherwise.
Ok, pinging you here because I recall you saying in the other thread you've got a tab set up just for your SPY scalps. Mind posting a screen cap? I'm trying to set one up but I have no creativity in me at all these days.
FJ43
Maximus_Meridius said:

FJ43 said:

ClutchCityAg said:

FJ43 said:

Maximus_Meridius said:

Ok, pinging you here because I recall you saying in the other thread you've got a tab set up just for your SPY scalps. Mind posting a screen cap? I'm trying to set one up but I have no creativity in me at all these days.
Hola,

Here ya go. This is 2 of my screens. I also have specifically for Qs and IWM setup the exact same. I tweak here and there as I find more efficiency but this has been best for me so far.

Screen 1 is the main trading screen:

• Top left -The top left main trading chart chart is on 5 min in the image but is mostly running on a 2 min chart time frame. Not linked
  • Bottom left - VIX chart set on 1 Min - Not linked
  • Top center - Option chain - linked to Order Entry and top right chart.
  • Middle center - Notice this watch list in center is populated each day with the likely plays so I don't have to waste time in the chain. - Linked to Order Entry and top right.
  • Bottom Center - Order Entry
  • Bottom Lower - Live Orders & Trades History
  • Top right is a chart linked to the options I am buying/selling to see price history and helps me quickly identify target at price levels on matching time frames with the main chart.
  • Lower Right - Chart set on 5 Min generally but I do switch to 10 occasionally. Hardly pay attention to MACD. May get rid of it.
  • 5 & 12 EMAs on all except daily where I use the 8 & 21 EMAs.
  • I draw all intraday trend lines on the main 2 Min chart which transfer onto any other SPY chart.
  • Each day I adjust the previous days high/ow with the pink colored line.
  • I have it set that previous days close appears automatically with the dotted orange line.
  • Lines have colors for me to visually identify daily, hourly, 10 Min or trend.

Screen 2 has 3, 5, 10, 30 Min plus hourly and daily.

Maximus_Meridius
AG
Awesome, thank you!

I feel like I'm going to have to buy another monitor (or 3). Never thought I'd say that after I got my 27"...
FJ43
Maximus_Meridius said:

Awesome, thank you!

I feel like I'm going to have to buy another monitor (or 3). Never thought I'd say that after I got my 27"...
Anytime!

The are like Lays potato chips. Can't eat just one. Trying to talk Mrs. FJ into letting me have a tower with stacked set-ups. Have her close but not quite there yet.

I'll see how Month 2 on this scalping thing goes. If I don't blow it but repeat then tower it will be.

June 29th my new hardware arrives. With the chip shortage I got what I could get size wise (16GB RAM, 1TB SSD, multiple graphics cards, 3.6Ghz, etc.) moving from a multi laptop docking station set-up to a desktop solely with IBKR on it for trading.

FJ43

Any IBKR Pro users familiar with and versed in using the more advanced order algos available?

spud1910
AG
FJ43 said:

Any IBKR Pro users familiar with and versed in using the more advanced order algos available?
Nope. There is still so much to learn. And with full time regular work, that makes it hard.
Thundergon
Are you talking about the adaptive algo you can enable for orders?
FJ43
spud1910 said:

FJ43 said:

Nope. There is still so much to learn. And with full time regular work, that makes it hard.
I have been playing with it but can't remember who it was on here that uses them fluidly. I think these can be game changes.

spud1910
AG
Yeah, every once in awhile I learn something new. And then I am like, "Wish I had known that sooner!" Just today, I learned how to set volume alerts. Following the twitter conversation you and OA were having made me realize I need to do a better job of setting alerts.

On that note, can you set alerts on your phone?
FJ43
Thundergon said:

Exactly. There are a lot of cool options for order placement and I want to try some beyond hidden orders and the normal entry and stops.

FJ43
spud1910 said:

Yeah, every once in awhile I learn something new. And then I am like, "Wish I had known that sooner!" Just today, I learned how to set volume alerts. Following the twitter conversation you and OA were having made me realize I need to do a better job of setting alerts.

On that note, can you set alerts on your phone?
If you enable your alerts to be texted they will come to your phone as a text. A little delayed vs. in front of the PC but still good.

Apple Watch is nails for this.

Thundergon
FJ43 said:

Thundergon said:

Exactly. There are a lot of cool options for order placement and I want to try some beyond hidden orders and the normal entry and stops.
When I day trade I use the algo on all my buy orders. In pre-market, I'll have all my option strike orders saved using a market order with the adaptive algo selected. Once my alerts go off, I'll wait for an entry and then click the submit order button and get great fills without having to scramble to adjust the limit orders and what not. I do this for all my day trade buys and then for sells I just use a plain limit order unless I'm trying to get out asap. I've always gotten pretty good fills using the adaptive market orders. That's about the extent to which I use the algo for now.
FJ43
Thundergon said:

FJ43 said:

Thundergon said:

When I day trade I use the algo on all my buy orders. In pre-market, I'll have all my option strike orders saved using a market order with the adaptive algo selected. Once my alerts go off, I'll wait for an entry and then click the submit order button and get great fills without having to scramble to adjust the limit orders and what not. I do this for all my day trade buys and then for sells I just use a plain limit order unless I'm trying to get out asap. I've always gotten pretty good fills using the adaptive market orders. That's about the extent to which I use the algo for now.
Man I need to learn this. Did you find a good video on it anywhere?

I make about 50-60 trades a day which includes scaling out transactions. Think I could use this.

Thundergon
I want to say on youtube there is an IBKR education video on using the adaptive algo. Think it focuses mostly on what it does and how it operates and the different settings you can use regarding the search time for fills.

I think it would be a game changer for you. I know at times I have several alerts go off almost back to back and it really helps to just be able to click the submit order button on each option without having to adjust the order price. I have never missed a fill on an order when using the algo.
FJ43
Thundergon said:

I want to say on youtube there is an IBKR education video on using the adaptive algo. Think it focuses mostly on what it does and how it operates and the different settings you can use regarding the search time for fills.

I think it would be a game changer for you. I know at times I have several alerts go off almost back to back and it really helps to just be able to click the submit order button on each option without having to adjust the order price. I have never missed a fill on an order when using the algo.
You are speaking my language. I am constantly changing the limit price during scalp action.

Keep telling myself there has to be a better way especially on this advanced of a platform.

spud1910
AG
Thank you both. I just enabled text alerts I think, so that will help a lot.
FJ43

What a day gents.

Off to BBQ with my son on his new Traeger. Can't wait.

'See' y'all in the morning.

FJ43

Ok dumb question....

Is there a way to get the stock logo of the company on IBKR charts ?

La Bamba
AG
I've been using the DAS Trader platform for about a year now and will recommend it to anyone that asks. Speed of executions is unparalleled. For day trading, it's fantastic. You can link your IBKR account to it or use Centerpoint or Guardian Trading or a few others accounts with the platform.

Here's a comparison of it against IBRK's or TOS' platform:

https://dastrader.com/docs/supported-functions-by-das-ib-and-td-ameritrade/
FJ43
La Bamba said:

I've been using the DAS Trader platform for about a year now and will recommend it to anyone that asks. Speed of executions is unparalleled. For day trading, it's fantastic. You can link your IBKR account to it or use Centerpoint or Guardian Trading or a few others accounts with the platform.

Here's a comparison of it against IBRK's or TOS' platform:

https://dastrader.com/docs/supported-functions-by-das-ib-and-td-ameritrade/

I'll give it a look. I've gotten hooked on TradingView for charting. But no link/API available to IBKR.

Love IBKR now that they have their KAS program.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.