Business & Investing
Sponsored by

IBKR - Trader Workstation (TWS) Setups

10,230 Views | 102 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by FJ43
spud1910
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
FJ43 said:

spud1910 said:

Having problems with the CRMD chart only. On my chart for CRMD (but no other stocks) it says "No historical data available..." I wonder if that is because it is the first day on NASDAQ or I somehow changed a setting. They are supposed to announce important results at the end of this month, so maybe something leaked.

Are you able to see it on your system?

Same for me that's why I checked TOS. First day on NASDAQ and didn't they just merge?
Yeah, that is what I am wondering. My wife called me afterhours and when I first pulled it up, I could see it. But when I changed it to look at the daily for the last 6 months, it disappeared. Hopefully back tomorrow.
ClutchCityAg
FJ43 said:

TexasAg2017 said:

Another question, what market data sets do you subscribe to? I tried signing up for a couple today but it kept giving me an unable to buy due to insufficient equity. I guess I'll have to wait for the rest of my deposits to hit my account.
I subscribe to US for all defaults as well as the 4 Quote bundles, all Indexes, Level 1 Canada, Level II, ICE Digital Futures and NASDAQ Total view. as well as all fee waived options.

I do think you need ot have funds cleared for any fees ot be deducted from until they will populate. As soon as my account funded about a month ago I noticed they immediately turned on.
As a smaller account, which of these would you say are essential? I have the 4 quote bundles and all the fee waived ones already. I dont like how I have to click the snapshot button but I suppose I will make due.
Let it ride
FJ43
ClutchCityAg said:

FJ43 said:

TexasAg2017 said:

Another question, what market data sets do you subscribe to? I tried signing up for a couple today but it kept giving me an unable to buy due to insufficient equity. I guess I'll have to wait for the rest of my deposits to hit my account.
I subscribe to US for all defaults as well as the 4 Quote bundles, all Indexes, Level 1 Canada, Level II, ICE Digital Futures and NASDAQ Total view. as well as all fee waived options.

I do think you need ot have funds cleared for any fees ot be deducted from until they will populate. As soon as my account funded about a month ago I noticed they immediately turned on.
As a smaller account, which of these would you say are essential? I have the 4 quote bundles and all the fee waived ones already. I dont like how I have to click the snapshot button but I suppose I will make due.
I think the most important is live data feed. There isn't a need for any of the information outside of US securities, futures, etc if you won't be trading them. You can always unsubscribe from something if you aren't getting the value you were looking for. Try it for a month and if it isn't what you expected/wanted just unsubscribe. Here is a screen shot of what I have currently subscribed.

Wealth gained hastily will dwindle. but whoever gathers little by little will increase it.
Proverbs 13:11

Colt98
AG
Question about go fund me. Only time I've ever used them have been with OA's request. Do you have to give them a % every time you donate our is there away around this. Or is that just customary and don't worry about it??
FJ43
Colt98 said:

Question about go fund me. Only time I've ever used them have been with OA's request. Do you have to give them a % every time you donate our is there away around this. Or is that just customary and don't worry about it??
There is an option to adjust that. I 'think' you can reduce that to whatever you want. If my understanding is right the tip is their primary revenue source so I guess ultimately a good thing to keep that platform going.
Wealth gained hastily will dwindle. but whoever gathers little by little will increase it.

Colt98
AG
Thanks. I thought I posted this in stock forum. Lol. It's been a fast and busy day.
FJ43
Colt98 said:

Thanks. I thought I posted this in stock forum. Lol. It's been a fast and busy day.
No worries. Have a great weekend ahead.

tremble
AG
Finally got my account transferred. I noticed none of my positions transferred at the correct basis and all have an odd "average price." Is that something that will be corrected or do I need to do that?
ClutchCityAg
Which of these is the live data? that is the one I need most. Thanks for your help!
Let it ride
FJ43
ClutchCityAg said:

Which of these is the live data? that is the one I need most. Thanks for your help!
NADAQ Total and NYSE Open Book I believe. Naturally the most expensive. Seems it is always that way.

But I bet you totally forget about these fees once you get rolling. There are so many resources you can get via IBKR and really good customization. You'll have fun with it once you get the hang of the platform.

FJ43
tremble said:

Finally got my account transferred. I noticed none of my positions transferred at the correct basis and all have an odd "average price." Is that something that will be corrected or do I need to do that?
What do you mean by odd? A small lower case numeral in the upper right of the Average Price?

spud1910
AG
tremble said:

I may be misunderstanding, but I think the new basis is the price at the time of transfer. I put my true basis in the notes for each I transferred.
tremble
AG
No, the numbers just don't correspond to what I actually paid originally.
tremble
AG
Issue seems to have fixed itself. I had to go into the Tax area and input the price paid for the tax lots individually. It did take a couple of days for it to reflect in my portfolio but the data is correct now.
Maximus_Meridius
AG
I'm 'bout ready to pop a cap in the arse of the idiot that came up with this interface. And a dozen in the genius that came up with the data subscription listings...
spud1910
AG
Anyone else having problems with the workstation loading this morning?

Finally loaded. Not sure what the issue was.
spud1910
AG
OK, looking to buy OA's MGTI recommendation, but IBKR says I need trading permissions. I have tried to add everything that seems logical. Is anyone able to trade it on IBKR?
FJ43
spud1910 said:

OK, looking to buy OA's MGTI recommendation, but IBKR says I need trading permissions. I have tried to add everything that seems logical. Is anyone able to trade it on IBKR?
I did and executed fine. Not sure what setting or trade permission would be required though.

spud1910
AG
I didn't realize that after clicking save on trading permissions, it was not complete. Clicked the continue button and provided updated info and now able to trade.
Maximus_Meridius
AG
Same deal for me, but I can't see where I can add the permissions for pinks

Edit: nevermind, I figured it out.

Next question: is there a way to extend a previously drawn trendline? On TOS you could extend a channel to the right, but there's no way of doing that on TWS that I can see...
spud1910
AG
Maximus_Meridius said:

Same deal for me, but I can't see where I can add the permissions for pinks
I can't get back there now since it shows things to be pending. But on the stock trading part, click on add. I added "all north america" then click continue. I think the next page it offered the option for penny stocks, crypto, etc.
ClutchCityAg
Just thought Id share this screenshot I grabbed of how OA has his TWS laid out

Let it ride
arrow
AG
Which subscription do I need to get live data on my charts? My option chains are live but my charts look to be 20 minutes behind.
FJ43
arrow said:

Which subscription do I need to get live data on my charts? My option chains are live but my charts look to be 20 minutes behind.
I posted a screen shot of what I subscribe to above and think its the US Equity and Options streaming bundle.

arrow
AG
Yeah I think you're right. I was being cheap and only subscribed to OPRA.
FJ43
arrow said:

Yeah I think you're right. I was being cheap and only subscribed to OPRA.
One thing about IBKR is you pay more fees for data however there is more data available. Many trading fees, options contracts, margin, etc. are less expensive on the opposite side of that.

I make enough trades that anything that is waived, is waived.

IBKR can be frustrating on some things and a blessing on others. They don't necessarily make it easy but once you are in the groove it is very smooth.

ClutchCityAg
Trying to add VWAP to my chart... TWS gives me two options: Intraday VWAP and Moving VWAP

Any idea which I should be using? and what the interval and std dev settings should be?
Let it ride
FJ43
ClutchCityAg said:

Trying to add VWAP to my chart... TWS gives me two options: Intraday VWAP and Moving VWAP

Any idea which I should be using? and what the interval and std dev settings should be?
Depends on which time frame you are looking at. VWAP is usually one day. Moving will be over the time period you select. If long then Moving.

ClutchCityAg
FJ43 said:

ClutchCityAg said:

Depends on which time frame you are looking at. VWAP is usually one day. Moving will be over the time period you select. If long then Moving.
Okay I mostly use it for looking at 1min candles and hourly candles, so just do the moving one and it will adjust on its own?
Let it ride
FJ43
ClutchCityAg said:

FJ43 said:

ClutchCityAg said:

Okay I mostly use it for looking at 1min candles and hourly candles, so just do the moving one and it will adjust on its own?
No use the VWAP. It is mostly use for intraday and short term trades as in minutes or hours. If looking longer term for a long position such as weeks or months use MVWAP.

ClutchCityAg
FJ43 said:

ClutchCityAg said:

FJ43 said:

ClutchCityAg said:

No use the VWAP. It is mostly use for intraday and short term trades as in minutes or hours. If looking longer term for a long position such as weeks or months use MVWAP.
Oh okay, thanks FJ!
Let it ride
ClutchCityAg
Anyone know if on TWS there is a way to make the chart window only show the underlying stock and not show the chart for the options when I click on one? I want the window to still be grouped so it changes with my clicks, but when I click an option I want to see the chart only for the underlying stock
Let it ride
FJ43
ClutchCityAg said:

Anyone know if on TWS there is a way to make the chart window only show the underlying stock and not show the chart for the options when I click on one? I want the window to still be grouped so it changes with my clicks, but when I click an option I want to see the chart only for the underlying stock
As long as the underlying and options chain are linked I believe they will always match. I created an ordering window group that I have unlinked the options chain. When I click the stock all data, ordering, etc. is to the stock but I type in the symbol to the options chain.

ClutchCityAg
FJ43 said:

ClutchCityAg said:

As long as the underlying and options chain are linked I believe they will always match. I created an ordering window group that I have unlinked the options chain. When I click the stock all data, ordering, etc. is to the stock but I type in the symbol to the options chain.
Okay going to have to do that same, was just wondering if someone had found a shortcut
Let it ride
FJ43
ClutchCityAg said:

FJ43 said:

ClutchCityAg said:

Okay going to have to do that same, was just wondering if someone had found a shortcut
I haven't yet. I added a panel to the Mosaic main panel as a tab in case I am on a laptop and created a new window group that detaches I can slide over to another screen.

Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.