Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Business Attire (Men)

39,269 Views | 151 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by The Pilot
94chem
How long do you want to ignore this user?
www.ctshirts.com/usfb33
500,000ags
AG
I lucked out and got a pair of Alden Boots on clearance from JCrew. Marked down to $99 since they had one 13 left. I felt like I hit the lotto that day.
Spaceship
AG
Where do you guys buy ties? I only need one 10-12 or so times a year, and so I don't want to pay a fortune for some but don't want to look like an unfashionable dork either. Thanks.
Quinn
AG
JCrew or SuitSupply
RK
AG
94chem said:

www.ctshirts.com/usfb33
just grabbed a handful for 33/per. pretty good deal.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Spaceship said:

Where do you guys buy ties? I only need one 10-12 or so times a year, and so I don't want to pay a fortune for some but don't want to look like an unfashionable dork either. Thanks.

Nordstrom has got some quality ties.

But like most things it seems like every nice quality tie ive found that looks good and will last a long time will run around 80-120 USD.

As americans we are conditioned to value quantity over quality. When I was younger I thought a 6 ties for $99 deal at Dillard's was awesome. It was then, but as you get older and upgrade your **** you'll realize that you got a decently tailored suit that looks good on you, but a cheap looking tie stands out like a sore thumb.

If you wear ties 12 times a year, definitely spend the money on quality for at least one higher end tie. I guarantee it will be your go-to. Once you see this is the case, just get rid of the rest taking up space in your closet and gradually replace with something of higher quality. People are always asking for gift ideas. Once you find a quality brand and size, just ask for that in another specific color you want.

Also, if you are above 6'2" or so, ALWAYS get the XL size ties. Don't compromise on this. They may cost more especially at a place like Nordstrom but you get what you pay for.

If you wear ties everyday or don't want to drop too much coin, places Stein Mart will occasionally have some decent quality stuff mixed in with some ugly cheap looking crap.

The thing to look for generally, is whether the tie has some sort of texture to it as opposed to smooth silk. Ive found the ties with texture look better generally because they are slightly thicker retain their shape, conceal frays and generally hold up better.

I'd generally avoid any kind of smooth silk tie with any kind of sheen on it. They generally look great in the store lighting, but not so much when worn. Also they don't wear well.

Right now about half the people reading this are thinking, this dude sounds like an arrogant ass *****. What difference does it make? Ties are ties, you light in the loafers or something. FU.

Yeah I would have said the exact same thing 20 yrs ago as well. But over the past decade i've learned that it does matter. People notice. There is a certain protocol if you are in a business / job where people wear ties. Its just the way it is. Dressing at a certain standard is expected at certain levels. If you are trying to move up as everybody is, you got to look like you fit the part whether you like it or not.

tldr: When it comes to ties, buy quality over quantity.

ChipFTAC01
AG
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

Spaceship said:

But like most things it seems like every nice quality tie ive found that looks good and will last a long time will run around 80-120 USD.

As americans we are conditioned to value quantity over quality. When I was younger I thought a 6 ties for $99 deal at Dillard's was awesome. It was then, but as you get older and upgrade your **** you'll realize that you got a decently tailored suit that looks good on you, but a cheap looking tie stands out like a sore thumb.

If you wear ties 12 times a year, definitely spend the money on quality for at least one higher end tie. I guarantee it will be your go-to. Once you see this is the case, just get rid of the rest taking up space in your closet and gradually replace with something of higher quality. People are always asking for gift ideas. Once you find a quality brand and size, just ask for that in another specific color you want.

Also, if you are above 6'2" or so, ALWAYS get the XL size ties. Don't compromise on this. They may cost more especially at a place like Nordstrom but you get what you pay for.

If you wear ties everyday or don't want to drop too much coin, places Stein Mart will occasionally have some decent quality stuff mixed in with some ugly cheap looking crap.

The thing to look for generally, is whether the tie has some sort of texture to it as opposed to smooth silk. Ive found the ties with texture look better generally because they are slightly thicker retain their shape, conceal frays and generally hold up better.

I'd generally avoid any kind of smooth silk tie with any kind of sheen on it. They generally look great in the store lighting, but not so much when worn. Also they don't wear well.

Right now about half the people reading this are thinking, this dude sounds like an arrogant ass *****. What difference does it make? Ties are ties, you light in the loafers or something. FU.

Yeah I would have said the exact same thing 20 yrs ago as well. But over the past decade i've learned that it does matter. People notice. There is a certain protocol if you are in a business / job where people wear ties. Its just the way it is. Dressing at a certain standard is expected at certain levels. If you are trying to move up as everybody is, you got to look like you fit the part whether you like it or not.

Pretty much everything you said is spot on. That being said, I've been very happy with a lot of the ties I've bought from a Charles Tyrwhitt. The textured ones wear well and have held up. I have bought a few that are smooth silk and as expected they don't look as nice or last as well. My favorite tie is a Nordstrom tie but it's my best looking tie.

I wear a tie 4 days a week and can't stand ties that hang loose with no body.
John Francis Donaghy

Spaceship said:

I regret that I have but one blue star to give this post.
Aggie09Derek
AG
I've also been happy with a few ties i've bought from TheTieBar.com
Spaceship
AG

Spaceship said:

Now THIS is the kind of unapologetic straight shooting I like and expect when I seek advice from complete strangers on an internet message board. Thanks!
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Ties are a great opportunity to buy designer. An Hermes or a YSL tie will get noticed by the people who know. They are also a great well made product.
Marvin_Zindler
AG
Look for quality ties on eBay. You'll be surprised what you can find.

Also, Chipp makes some awesome grenadine ties in solid colors for a very fair price.
94chem
I wear a tie about 3 - 5 times/year. I've been tying only Shelby (also called Pratt?) knots for 30 years. I've looked at videos, tried to tie it different ways, and at the end, even if I get it right and follow all 30 steps, it still looks about the same as a Shelby. So, I keep it simple. No half-Windsors, etc., for me.

I do have 2 questions:
1) How much is a tie allowed to contrast with the rest of the outfit?
2) $90 for a tie just seems like way too much. I went looking around the web at the "hot" ties for 2018. Honestly, they look like hot garbage compared to the $10 ones on Amazon.

My dad always told me to keep my tie widths in the middle. Made sense to me. I've never liked wide ties because I'm not a fat guy. Skinny ties just make it look like I'm trying too hard. What's a good width - 3.5" or so?

Marvin_Zindler
AG
3.25 - 3.5 is pretty classic.
ChipFTAC01
AG
IMO, ties should contrast quite a bit from your shirt and suit. I'm partial to brighter ties and wear a lot more reds, pinks, oranges and yellows than blue and green ties.

This morning I started in a gray suit with a white shirt and an orange and white tie. After I spilled coffee all over myself I changed to a navy suit with a blue shirt and yellow tie. If I would have worn a dark tie it would have been too monochromatic
94chem
ChipFTAC01 said:

IMO, ties should contrast quite a bit from your shirt and suit. I'm partial to brighter ties and wear a lot more reds, pinks, oranges and yellows than blue and green ties.

This morning I started in a gray suit with a white shirt and an orange and white tie. After I spilled coffee all over myself I changed to a navy suit with a blue shirt and yellow tie. If I would have worn a dark tie it would have been too monochromatic
Thanks. BTW, how do you get stains out of dress shirts? If professional cleaning is the answer, nm
RK
AG
tide pens/wipes are a standard issue office supply in our office. definitely helps with smaller stains.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Sorry, if a trip to the cleaners if out of the question, I don't know how to help you.

I do fear the tie is ruined. It passes me off because it's a brand new tie that's only probably been worn twice. I've dry cleaned ties before and they never some back the same.
planoaggie123
AG
Dumb question probably but for shirt sizing...do you all go somewhere to have them give you your measurements or do you just make do at home with a tape measurer and yarn/string? I may try CT but i honestly don't know my dimensions that well. Not sure if i should do slim or extra slim. I hate to go somewhere, have them write down my information, then just head out lol.
94chem
I ordered a medium shirt from itailor. When it arrived, I emailed them for the garment measurements, which they happily gave me. From there, I decided that I needed an extra 0.25" in the neck, an inch longer tail, a half inch shorter sleeve, etc. Then I ordered another shirt from itailor and it felt about perfect. Next, I went to the link I cited earlier with the Brooks Brothers and CT measurements and picked the closest thing. You'll notice that the CT and BB shirts allow you to pair pretty much any neck size and sleeve length. However, the waist and chest sizes are tied to the neck size, e.g. if you go up a half inch in neck size, the waist and chest will also get larger.

I just got 6 CT shirts. The slim fits are nice; I wanted to try the extra slim, but the waist looked too small for my neck size. So, I just went up 0.5" on neck size and ordered the extra slim. I hardly ever wear a tie, so a slightly large neck didn't bother me. As you'll see from the chart, extra slim and slim are about the same fit if you change the neck size by 0.5".

Bottom line - I spent $85 at itailor, got 2 good shirts, and learned my measurements. Now I can get just what I want from them, BB, or CT (or my wife can make me shirts at itailor for Christmas!).

Alternatively, you can go to your dry cleaner and ask if they have a tailor who stops by regularly. Set up a time for getting measured.

94chem
Quote:

Sorry, if a trip to the cleaners if out of the question, I don't know how to help you.

As a follow-up, I had an apple juice stain on my new BB shirt, and it had already been laundered twice, using Shout and Oxi-Clean, to no avail.

I picked up a product at Kroger called Carbona Stain Devils. They make about 8 different formulas. It's a powder - you dissolve it, spot treat/soak, then wash it out. Worked like a champ!
10andBOUNCE
AG
I need replace some lousy Haggar stretchy pants. Never again. Used to always have the relaxed wool pants and want to go back.

What's the boards opinion on reverse pleat vs flat front and cuff or no cuff?
The Pilot
AG
Pleats are for old people.
John Francis Donaghy
Pleats depend on your build. If you're heavyset or built like a lumberjack through your thighs and headquarters, then the pockets on flat front pants are going bow out like dumbo ears, while pleated pants will lay nice and flat.
JSKolache
AG
Flat, cuff
Aggie09Derek
AG
No cuff
The Pilot
AG
Yeah, I also think cuff is probably more old-fashioned. I'd go flat and no cuff.
John Francis Donaghy
I do cuffs with pleats, and no cuff with flat front.
DannyDuberstein
AG
A guy I work with (mid 50s) was browsing in Nordstrom a couple of years ago and the salesman walks up to him and says "how about we get you out of those pleats?"

But yeah, flat, no cuff. Pleat, cuff (but really just stay away from pleats). If the pockets on flats bow out, then you just haven't found the right pair yet. I'm a guy with an athletic ass and thighs and thinner waist, so i recognize this can be a challenge. But you just gotta keep looking because they're out there. Could also spring some dough on something more custom, or at least buy a big enough size to where they'll lay flat and then have any oversized areas (like the waist) tailored.
MavsAg
AG
Any recommendations on where I can get a good fitting (slim fit) sports coat?
RightWingConspirator
AG
The Pilot said:

Yeah, I also think cuff is probably more old-fashioned. I'd go flat and no cuff.
I'd agree with this.
94chem
Picked up a TM Lewin shirt this week, $25 with free shipping. Their fitted shirt is slimmer than Tyrwhitt slim and looser than CT extra slim. Quality seems really good.
Also, if you like Brooks Brothers Regent fit, you might try the Kirkland tailored fit as a low cost alternative.
TXAG 05
AG
elen2009 said:

Be a slobby engineer. Wear jeans and an untucked polo for the vast majority of your career.

Worked great so far.

Not an engineer, but most of my business clothes are bought at Academy.
Ragoo
AG
Cstrickland05 said:

elen2009 said:

Be a slobby engineer. Wear jeans and an untucked polo for the vast majority of your career.

Worked great so far.

Not an engineer, but most of my business clothes are bought at Academy.
cant take the river rat out of a NB native
TXAG 05
AG
You know it. I've been fortunate to work at places that have a pretty lax dress code. I own a pair of dress shoes, but I haven't worn them in at least 10 years.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.