Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Business Attire (Men)

39,159 Views | 151 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by The Pilot
RG20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Gents,

Where do you typically like to purchase your business attire? Looking for some different ideas/stores that I may be missing out on.

My dress requirements for work are: Slacks/Trousers, Dress Shirt and Dress Shoes. Occasional items are: Sport Coat, Suit (Hardly Ever)

Any suggestions on the above or other ways to step up my business dress game is much appreciated.
aunuwyn08
AG
Be willing to pay more for high-quality shoes like Allen Edmonds. They are worth every dollar, especially if you pick up their cheaper factory seconds.
andrago94
AG
I had good luck with online dress shirts from Proper Cloth. I buy everything else at Nordstrom. The Nordstrom brand stuff is cheaper but still good.
Ragoo
AG
www.ctshirts.com
Squirrel Master
AG
Love Charles Tyrwhitt shirts (the link above).
Marvin_Zindler
AG
Allen Edmonds for shoes, Brooks Brothers for dress shirts (they have 4 fits, so you should be able to dial in one that fits), Spier & Mackay for pants and blazers.
TxAg20
AG
Shirts and sport coats from this guy: https://garytailor.com/catalog/index.php

Pants from Brooks Brothers

Shoes from Cole Haan or Allen Edmunds
evestor1
Allen Edmonds are the only shoes I wear.

Clothes, on the other hand, I wear several different brands
MavsAg
AG
I shop at banana republic quite a bit. Shirts and pants have held up well over the years.
SnowboardAg
AG
Allen Edmond for shoes, belts - no better option then them. Brooks brothers for shirts and pants.
aggiebq03+
Alden boots, get some cap toe or go with the classic Indy style. Or Redwing Beckman boots.

Shirts I like the J Crew classic fit. Most other brands I find have such billowy sleeves, even for their slim fit. Have some Proper Cloth shirts, and while I like them they are a pain to iron and not really worth the price looking back at it. Might try CT shirts one day.

Pants, whatever is on sale at Kohl's.
Killin Me Smalls
AG
Squirrel Master said:

Love Charles Tyrwhitt shirts (the link above).

Yep. I buy all my shirts and pants from CT now. Wait for a sale or a promo code. I bought a sports coat a few weeks ago on their clearance page, and it's very good quality and fit was suprisingly good.

Shoes have typically been Johnson and Murphy, but I'm ready to try something a little better.
YouBet
AG
I'm going custom next round of buying. I've never truly found shirts that fit me well off the shelf.
ATXAdvisor
AG
I've run the gamut from weekend only discount warehouses to custom. I like the custom shirts from Land's End (edited from JCrew, bad memory). I also learned the sales patterns at Jos A Banks and would buy their Signature Gold suits online during their two really good sales during the year (could get the suits for $399) and take them to a local tailor for fitting.
Stive
AG
You can get custom tailored shirts for the price of a decent shirt from Dillard's. That being the case, I haven't bought a shirt off the rack in years. With the right tailor slacks and jackets aren't all that much higher and designed to fit your body.

Allen Edmonds shoes all the way. I've never bought a bad pair and they're worth every penny in the long run if you treat them right.
Boats and Hose
AG
ATXAdvisor said:

I also learned the sales patterns at Jos A Banks and would buy their Signature Gold suits online during their two really good sales

Never really shopped at Jos A Banks. When would these sales be/what's the sales pattern?
aggolfer
AG
I have had good luck with the Banks traveler shirts - but I am on the road when I do have to dress and they hold up well. I am fat guy so hard to find shirts now that aren't "tailored" fit. Will take a look at Brooks shirts next.

Not to hijack but what pants are you guys wearing that wear boots?
gig em 02
Every now and then Brooks Brothers has 4/$200 on shirts
ATXAdvisor
AG
They basically have sales ongoingly, but twice a year the Signature Gold suits will be priced @$399, or in some cases lower. I subscribed to their sales spam and just figured out what the real sales looked like. I don't wear suits anymore, so I quit paying attention a couple of years ago.
Kurt Gowdy
AG
All my dress shirts are from Land's End.
RG20
Does Charles Tyrwhitt have a physical store? I usually don't purchase clothes online; I like to try on first. Otherwise, thanks for all of the advice so far.
Killin Me Smalls
AG
No. But returns are very easy.
aggiedata
AG
Nordstrom's Anniversary Sale is not to be missed. I buy everything I can at this time. Early sale for card holders is totally worth it.

Quote:

Our best sale of the yearthe Nordstrom Anniversary Saleis July 20-August 5, 2018.

Allen Edmonds brand is stellar. I still have a pair of shoes from 1988, (resoled a few times). I probably have 4 dress pair.

While I like them, if you need to be on your feet and still business dressed during conventions or running to the airport.. my business to business causal go to shoe is Ecco for sheer comfort and looks crossover.
Duncan Idaho
Has anyone mentioned that this makes no sense in a "business" dress thread

"My dress requirements for work are: Slacks/Trousers, Dress Shirt and Dress Shoes. Occasional items are: Sport Coat, Suit (Hardly Ever)"

Two best things for a young kid on a budget to build a wardrobe:
1) new year's day at the best Dillard's in town. (50%off all clearance, as an example that means $25-30 Hart Schaffner Marx slacks, sports coats.)

2)and I am being completely serious, take a vacation in Shanghai, Hong kong or Bangkok and buy several suits, sports coats and anything else.)
RightWingConspirator
AG
I have about 5 pairs of Allen Edmonds and one pair of Magnani shoes. I will not buy anything but AEs going forward.

My shirts I get from Proper Cloth or CT. The trouble with CT shirts is I have no other choice but to get the "classic" fit shirts which are really blousy around the mid-section. My dimensions are such that I cannot wear a slim fit shirt because it won't fit across my chest (I'm a 42" coat, but a 32" waist) ; hence, I buy the CT shirts which I like, but are not ideal.

IrishTxAggie
AG
Tailored shirts. Once you get a well tailored shirt, no off the rack will ever compare.
Slacks from Brooks Bros. or Men's Wearhouse.
I wear boots mostly. But I do have a pair of AEs for wearing during trade shows.
Tailored on the jacket and suits too.
Rice and Fries
Can some of you Taller Ags (6'4"+) possibly help me find a good place to find some dress pants?

I am looking to get some new dress pants for work, but I'd rather pay $200 and have tailoring included vs wasting the $60 on crappy express dress pants.

Stive
AG
Where are you located?
dc509
AG
I'm a big fan of Brooks Bro's non iron dress shirts. If I'm not wearing a tie Mizzen & Main is a go to. Brooks Brothers dress pants with some Bonobos thrown in. For shoes I like Ferragamo. Fire away, but their lace-ups and drivers are amazing.
Marvin_Zindler
AG
Quote:

Does Charles Tyrwhitt have a physical store?

Only in New York City, as far as I am aware.
Long Live Sully
AG
I used to buy custom from Tom James Company when I wore suits for work. Their shirts are outstanding and tailored to fit as well. They are still a good value and great service.

I second Allen Edmonds for shoes. There is nothing else that compares to the feel and longevity.

Recently I have found very nice dress shirts at Costco of all places. Under $20.
ChoppinDs40
AG
hodgesco said:

Quote:

Does Charles Tyrwhitt have a physical store?

Only in New York City, as far as I am aware.

Y London?
Waltonloads08
AG
Brooks Brothers for clothes
Allen Edmonds for shoes

Both have knowledgeable staff that are willing to actually help you select the right fit and style.

Both are a bit more expensive, but will also last for several years longer than average. It's the prudent choice.

Aggie1806
AG
Alden or Crockett & Jones shoes; Brooks Bros pants, and Brooks Bros shirts. Ted Baker coats - fabrics breathe very well for Texas year round and are super stylish.
jamaggie06
AG
I want need to get some Allen Edmonds but I have a pair of Cole Haans that have been amzing and held up extremely well.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.