Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Will the crypto currency market cap exceed $100Billion before 2018

739,356 Views | 6116 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by administrative errors
Post removed:
by user
Casey TableTennis
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
SheriffBarclay said:

What's nuts to me is that while it's becoming slightly easier to spend btc, who in their right mind would spend it as the value keeps fluctuating? It's purely an investment, not a currency..

Money is fungible. As long as you know what it is worth when you spend it, what difference does it make?

If anything, spending what is up (at least currently) is a form of buy low sell high.

Post removed:
by user
wheelskjm
AG
Nah
wheelskjm
AG
Nah
wheelskjm
AG
Nah
redsox34
AG

Insanity
RoseRichAg01
How many tulip bulbs will 1 bitcoin buy!
wheelskjm
AG
Nah
DallasAggie0
Like your posts Jim. I'm super interested in DogeCoin myself. Been stagnant for a while before this week. The currency is designed very well.
libertyag
AG
wheelskjm said:

RoseRichAg01 said:

How many tulip bulbs will 1 bitcoin buy!

You're probably the kid that ate paint chips aren't you?

Do something for the future version of yourself and get educated.

Or dont. Ignorance is bliss, fool.

Free advice (whatever it was worth to those who listened over the last few years) is cheap. I don't know that I'll hand anymore out on this forum, or texags in general.

Any interested party who thinks I might be able to point them in the right direction, i'd love to help. All you other flunkies can piss right off. I argue way too much on here.
Why do you call someone a fool? And actually, you cannot help yourself, you will continue to hand out advice.
wheelskjm
AG
Yeah, probably. I'm a hypocrite too.
GarlandAg2012
AG
Wheels, I'm on the same side of this "debate" as you but you're not doing yourself any favors. Don't get baited by the people who don't think it's viable. It could all come crashing down if trust in the blockchain fails. Just try to answer questions as honestly and unbiased as you can.

In my opinion one of the major things about the crypto community that makes people think it's such a scam/bad idea is that people who are for it get super defensive and just talk about the "gains" instead of why they think it's a good idea.

JMO
bmks270
AG
I kick myself over passing up bitcoin when I first heard about it in 2009-2010 when I was in college. I seriously considered buying just $100 worth after hearing about it through some online gamers (which I was too).... it would be millions today. Though I probabaly would have sold it before it ever returned that much.
wheelskjm
AG
Nah
Post removed:
by user
GarlandAg2012
AG
I mostly agree with that assessment. It's also one of the reasons that I think bitcoin is fundamentally flawed. Remember, the blockchain is the part that's revolutionary, not necessarily any specific application of blockchain. At some level it's still a currency though because you can exchange it for goods and services. Just not a currency that seems wise to spend right now.

Just as a caveat though, there have been periods where even bitcoin is fairly stable, at least to the point of being usable for conversion to and from fiat on the time scale of a transaction (days to a week or so). Additionally, some of the benefits like anonymity may have enough value to some that they will sacrifice the potential value down the line to be able to spend anonymously now.

Wife is an Aggie
So what is your advice to someone who hasn't paid any attention to any of this but has some money to play with and wants to try and possibly get in the action.. Am I too late? If not - what would be the best way to get my feet wet?

Edit to add: and what is the minimum amount you would think one would need to get started?
GarlandAg2012
AG
No one can tell you if you're too late. They've been around a while so you're not going to get the benefits of day 1 adoption. However, it's also not mainstream yet. I pay more attention to Ether/Ethereum and I am bullish on it long term due to the Ethereum alliance which is an organization of businesses that are pooling resources to build applications for Ethereum. On the one hand, the hype headlines seem to be positively influencing prices (they recently announced new members). However, investing based on hype is obviously not a very fundamentally sound method.

My advice is to read for a few hours so that you understand the state of the ecosystem and what each coin is about. The most accessible coins are bitcoin, ether, and litecoin probably in that order. I am a believer that what is good for the goose is good for the gander so I support all crypto. Certain parties believe that the success of cryptos other than "theirs" is detrimental to their interests so there is definitely some bias in articles and reporting sometimes.

The simplest way to get in is to open an account on Coinbase or Gemini and then buy whatever coins you choose. You can buy any amount you want, so I can't advise a dollar amount, just be aware of the fees involved. All investments have risk, I'm not a financial advisor, YMMV, don't listen to a stranger on the internet, etc.
wheelskjm
AG
Nah
SACR
AG
So, are you shorting the yen and long bitcoin?
wheelskjm
AG
Nah
MrJonMan
AG
I really wish I understood how this all worked

Also wish I would've jumped on board several years back

Is it still a good idea to purchase? Which one?
wheelskjm
AG
Nah
GarlandAg2012
AG
Really hard to answer those questions in a fair and unbiased way. I'll say this: I have friends who just bought yesterday. I am long Ether, wheels is long Bitcoin (and maybe ether? Not sure).
MrJonMan
AG
Wheels and garland, teach me your ways!
MrJonMan
AG
If you were new to this and had $10k to invest which one would you buy?
MrJonMan
AG
Thoughts on Litecoin?
wheelskjm
AG
Nah
wheelskjm
AG
Nah
wheelskjm
AG
Nah
MrJonMan
AG
I can't even create an account on coinbase, everything keeps timing out
GarlandAg2012
AG
Yeah coinbase is getting slammed the past couple days. One of the admitted issues of a fledgling technology. The exchanges have always been the weak point.
MrJonMan
AG
But still coinbase is the better option? Strongly considering transferring in $10k and buying ethereum
RangerRick9211
AG
It wouldn't matter anyways. Coinbase's CC payment system is down even if you have an account. You can't instant fund until it's fixed.

https://status.coinbase.com/#
Last Page
Page 2 of 175

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.