Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Any advice for medical bill negotiation?

7,710 Views | 105 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by AustinCountyAg
pasquale
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Have any of you experience success in negotiating medical bill? We got hit with a medical emergency and starting to get all the bills from Urgent Care and Texas Childrens.

Any suggestions or an approach at trying to get the amounts we owe reduced?
The Collective
AG
You may have luck with your largest bills, but you are going to need to be able to offer cash today. Otherwise, they'll probably put you on a payment plan, and you'll owe the full amount over the term. It really varies provider to provider.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
Have they gone through insurance yet?

I've always been told that if you want to try and get them reduced, do it before they hit insurance. After that, I believe it can cause trouble if they drop them (since, at that point, the insurance would have essentially paid way more than their agreed upon rate).
CapCity12thMan
AG
In my experience, I always request an itemized statement from the hospital and once you get the statement, appeal the charges. This will put the account on hold/appeal so it at least buys you time while this process drags on. Try your best to find things on it you don't remember receiving and refute them. They will re-file with insurance and you will get a new bill and this process takes time.

Worse case scenario you buy a lot of time to get your $$$ together.

My last two hospital visits, I got the bill reduced and ultimately saved us a few hundred dollars in payments. Specific example, my youngest had some asthma issues so we took him to ER. Someone came in for an "education" session, which turned out to be how to use an inhaler properly. When they came in we said we do not need it, but it ended up on our bill anyway to the tune of $650. There were some medications that we gave our kid under the permission of the doctor that they billed us for, which is just completely wrong. I fought that too and reduced another couple hundred...so in my experience just fighting back will get something reduced - don't just take the bill an pay it.

Another example - delivery of our first turned out to be a complete joke as far as billing...ultimately saved us over $1000 just nitpicking the bill.
Wife is an Aggie
If it is a big bill I normally just call and ask to be put on a payment plan. The Methodist hospital system will take your total payment and set up a payment plan (max of 2 yrs) and won't charge you any interest. I can pay $50 a month over 2 yrs instead of $1200 upfront. Even better, sometimes after paying into the payment plan for a few months give them a call and ask for a cash discount. One time they gave me 20% off right there on the spot if I was willing to give payment then on the phone. Another time the lady wouldn't do it so I just kept paying the interest free monthly amount.

I have approximately 8 months of living expenses on hand right now so a few thousand dollar medical bill would not be a big deal at all to have to fork up.. I would pay it and move on. But if someone is offering me an interest free payment plan I'll take it. If I can squeeze the 20% cash discount out of them I take it all day.
Waltonloads08
AG
Medical billing has become legalized fraud and extortion.

"come in here so we can help you"

how much will this cost? (while in pain)

"youll have to wait for the bill"
uneedastraw
It's been legalized extortion and fraud for a long time. "Hope and Change" the last 8 years just made it worse.
FrontPorchAg
quote:
Have any of you experience success in negotiating medical bill? We got hit with a medical emergency and starting to get all the bills from Urgent Care and Texas Childrens.

Any suggestions or an approach at trying to get the amounts we owe reduced?
How much do you like your credit?

FrontPorchAg
quote:

This! Most of the medical cost problems we see today could be solved by posting the prices up front in a standardized manner.
Matsui
AG
Hospitals cannot hurt your credit.
The Wonderer
AG
quote:

Not everyone walks in knowing exactly what is wrong with them. The amount will also be based on how much the insurance company pays, remainder to the patient. Nine times out of ten, patients' complaints should be directed at their carrier and not their physician or medical provider.
The Wonderer
AG
quote:
quote:

This! Most of the medical cost problems we see today could be solved by posting the prices up front in a standardized manner.
Bill was introduced in the Texas House last year regarding this. Never made it out of committee.
The Wonderer
AG
From my experiences on the provider side, the vast majority of the complaints we see about medical bills are for people that do not know how to use the medical system. Going to an ER for a head cold will result in a couple grand in bills. Same for the flu, need a stitch or two, etc. Stuff deemed to be "minor" should have gone to a urgent care.
Ragoo
AG
what about having a child? I want to get a head of this so that I am not charge $100 for a roll of TP and the like.
The Wonderer
AG
quote:
what about having a child? I want to get a head of this so that I am not charge $100 for a roll of TP and the like.
What type of insurance do you have?
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
quote:

A couple of years ago, every other member of my family had strep coming on, so I was told to get tested (by my kids pediatrician) so they could get me on meds early if needed. I called my insurance to ask how much I should expect to pay for a strep test, and insurance said "we can't tell you without knowing how the doctor will code the visit/diagnosis". Okay, I thought. So I called the doctors office and got passed around until I finally got the lady in charge of that sort of stuff and she flat out said they wouldn't know how to code it until the visit was completed. I asked her if she could just give me the information as if I were to come in, take a strep test and have it show positive and she refused.

So at that point I asked, point blank, if she was basically saying that I cannot know how much I owe until after I am already legally obligated to pay it and she said "yes sir, that's correct"

WTF?

Who would ever buy a car and just "find out" how much it was when they got their first bill? Or a house, or anything else.

Made me so mad. I get that there are cases of ignorance (i.e. "what, it is expensive to go to the ER for a headache?") but it is legitimately frustrating that you can't possibly find out what you are agreeing to before you have agreed to it.

Absurd, actually.

Maybe this was a bad experience with a stubborn, or perhaps incompetent, office manager, but it doesn't sound like an isolated thing based on other people's stories here and elsewhere.
The Wonderer
AG
quote:
quote:

A couple of years ago, every other member of my family had strep coming on, so I was told to get tested (by my kids pediatrician) so they could get me on meds early if needed. I called my insurance to ask how much I should expect to pay for a strep test, and insurance said "we can't tell you without knowing how the doctor will code the visit/diagnosis". Okay, I thought. So I called the doctors office and got passed around until I finally got the lady in charge of that sort of stuff and she flat out said they wouldn't know how to code it until the visit was completed. I asked her if she could just give me the information as if I were to come in, take a strep test and have it show positive and she refused.

So at that point I asked, point blank, if she was basically saying that I cannot know how much I owe until after I am already legally obligated to pay it and she said "yes sir, that's correct"

WTF?

Who would ever buy a car and just "find out" how much it was when they got their first bill? Or a house, or anything else.

Made me so mad. I get that there are cases of ignorance (i.e. "what, it is expensive to go to the ER for a headache?") but it is legitimately frustrating that you can't possibly find out what you are agreeing to before you have agreed to it.

Absurd, actually.

Maybe this was a bad experience with a stubborn, or perhaps incompetent, office manager, but it doesn't sound like an isolated thing based on other people's stories here and elsewhere.
Blame politicians and regulators. You think we like having to work in this type of system? Makes every day a ****ing nightmare.
claym711
AG
It is all negotiable. I think I settled for 50% of my bill when my son was born. Contest/appeal the bill. Look up the terms and the fair market rates for products and services. Talk to their billing department. Talk to the manager. Make them an offer. If they decline, tell them to send you to collections and hang up. They'll follow-up. Make another offer. If you don't get what you like, you can definitely settle with the collections agency for far far less than what you were billed.
Ragoo
AG
HSA/HDHP
The Wonderer
AG
quote:
HSA/HDHP
Go ahead figure out your maximum out of pocket cost for the year, because you're going to hit it.

Vernada
AG
quote:
I called my insurance to ask how much I should expect to pay for a strep test, and insurance said "we can't tell you without knowing how the doctor will code the visit/diagnosis". Okay, I thought. So I called the doctors office and got passed around until I finally got the lady in charge of that sort of stuff and she flat out said they wouldn't know how to code it until the visit was completed. I asked her if she could just give me the information as if I were to come in, take a strep test and have it show positive and she refused.
Exactly what we just went through trying to find out the cost of an optional procedure.
Ragoo
AG
quote:
quote:
HSA/HDHP
Go ahead figure out your maximum out of pocket cost for the year, because you're going to hit it.

i assume this will really be my wife's insurance? She has HSA/HDHP through CFISD, my employer requires your spouse to be on their qualifying employer plan if offered.
The Wonderer
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
HSA/HDHP

i assume this will really be my wife's insurance? She has HSA/HDHP through CFISD, my employer requires your spouse to be on their qualifying employer plan if offered.
Yep. Luckily, it should be a lesser amount of total out of pocket since she isn't on the family plan.

May want to look at switching to PPO family plan for her and the kid if possible for the child's early years or you'll be capping out quite a bit with all the Dr. visits and what not. Compare the rates and coverages to see if fiscally beneficial.
Waltonloads08
AG
quote:
quote:

Not everyone walks in knowing exactly what is wrong with them. The amount will also be based on how much the insurance company pays, remainder to the patient. Nine times out of ten, patients' complaints should be directed at their carrier and not their physician or medical provider.

Insurance companies set prices they are willing to pay, not prices for procedures themselves.

My main complaint is with for-profit emergency centers being intentionally opaque even when questioned.

For example, I burned my hand and needed a tdap shot and my hand wrapped up. I asked (while in serious pain) what the cash price would be, and they told me they didnt have prices or even estimates available until after it went to my insurance.

Their entire business model is built around gouging insurance companies and taking advantage of people in distress.

The Wonderer
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Insurance companies set prices they are willing to pay, not prices for procedures themselves.

My main complaint is with for-profit emergency centers being intentionally opaque even when questioned.

For example, I burned my hand and needed a tdap shot and my hand wrapped up. I asked (while in serious pain) what the cash price would be, and they told me they didnt have prices or even estimates available until after it went to my insurance.

Their entire business model is built around gouging insurance companies and taking advantage of people in distress.

If you don't want to pay a premium to be seen immediately, then feel free to sit in the county funded ER with everyone else. Nobody forces you to use a particular ER. And, just to cut to the argument of "it's an emergency I need to be seen", insurance carriers are required to pay in-network rates for any true emergency that is billed to them under the ACA - no questions asked.
Waltonloads08
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

If you don't want to pay a premium to be seen immediately, then feel free to sit in the county funded ER with everyone else. Nobody forces you to use a particular ER. And, just to cut to the argument of "it's an emergency I need to be seen", insurance carriers are required to pay in-network rates for any true emergency that is billed to them under the ACA - no questions asked.
You are missing my point, I will pay a premium all day, but I don't know whether or not i'm paying a premium if no one can tell me what I can expect to pay for specific treatment.

1. Tdap shot
2. Apply some anti-biotic cream and wrap 1 hand

I realize they can't nail it down to the dollar, but you can't tell me that they don't know how to price those two things before I show up.
The Wonderer
AG
It's because they do not know how it is going to be coded. Docs don't code their own charts and front desk people don't know revenue cycle management and carrier agreements or charge master values. Because of a multitude of regulations, your bill will typically travel through 3-5 companies before ever reaching your doorstep. The process is so broken up so as to protect against fraud (one reason at least), that we don't receive first ins payment until about 30-45 days after your visit.

They don't tell you because in all honesty, they don't have a clue.
Vernada
AG
quote:
and that'll be one of the many reasons we end up stuck with single payer at some point...
Waltonloads08
AG
quote:
It's because they do not know how it is going to be coded. Docs don't code their own charts and front desk people don't know revenue cycle management and carrier agreements or charge master values. Because of a multitude of regulations, your bill will typically travel through 3-5 companies before ever reaching your doorstep. The process is so broken up so as to protect against fraud (one reason at least), that we don't receive first ins payment until about 30-45 days after your visit.

We've taken a simple process and made it brain surgery.

Pun intended.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
quote:

I know you're not saying anything to the contrary, but this is a huge f'ing problem.

We've made every medical issue into Schrdinger's cat. How big/small is your bill? You don't know until you agree to it.
The Wonderer
AG
quote:
quote:

We've taken a simple process and made it brain surgery.

Pun intended.
*ahem* The government has. Trust me when I say that those of us in the medical field, from top to bottom, do not like what has been done and understand a lot of the frustration that we hear. However, we have to adapt to what we are told to do and just like every other business, our increased costs trickle down to the patient. We don't like it, but it's what we have to do to survive as a business.
The Collective
AG
My daughter had surgery for a hernia last year. 15 minute procedure. Hospital bill (allowed charges) - $12k. What a ****ing deal.
BO297
Wait as long as you can to start paying the bills. I've had two surgeries with hospital stays. You will get the same bill several times with different amounts due. It seems the different offices/departments billing you negotiate with your insurance provider several times and the bill changes. If you have already paid, they will not tell you after the renegotiations that they owe you money back (if they do). This was recommended by a friend who manages billing for a doctors office.

Once it is time to pay the bill, try to negotiate all of them. My first one, everyone seemed to negotiate. The second, no one wanted to. They all wanted full price.

Starting a payment plan with the hospital is definitely a good idea. It is usually the largest bill. But they won't offer you a cash deal until you have made a few payments.
Post removed:
by user
The Wonderer
AG
quote:
i see some of yall talking about having to pay large bills for child birth. was that whole process not covered by insurance or were there issues? I believe i will pay a flat rate $150 or so for everything included in childbirth.
differences in types of insurance

HDHP vs. PPO vs. HMO
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.