Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Under Armour (UA)

24,027 Views | 138 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Bocephus
AggieMainland
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I almost freaked out as well. Stock symbol change which is dumb/annoying.

UA is now UAA (Under Armour Class A shares)

UA.C (Under Armour Class C shares - no voting rights) is now UA.

So if you bought UA before 12/07/16...you should now look at UAA.

If you bought at $30.80, the shares are now $32.23.
Vernada
AG
Yes. The symbol change is very annoying. I had a price alert in place for UA which triggered this week. I placed a buy order and then quickly cancelled when I realized the switch.
giddings_ag_06
AG
Under Armour is set to post earnings in the morning in pre-market hours. I'm optimistic and picked up some shares this morning.
Rice and Fries
Most likely won't be beating earnings me thinks, you can thank sports authority.
giddings_ag_06
AG
snowmnag970 said:

Most likely won't be beating earnings me thinks, you can thank sports authority.
I think the extreme reaction last quarter due to that was enough and that expectations will be slightly lower than in the past.
AggieMainland
I'm fine either way. I wouldn't mind this thing to continue down so that I could pick up more shares. Long term buy.
CT-11
AG
Down 25% pre-market

ouch
Ragoo
AG
i think UA is on the verge of needing to re-innovate itself. There are too many "me too's" in the athletic apparel space.
Rice and Fries
giddings_ag_06 said:

snowmnag970 said:

I think the extreme reaction last quarter due to that was enough and that expectations will be slightly lower than in the past.
Ouch, it was worse than both of us expected.
giddings_ag_06
AG
snowmnag970 said:

giddings_ag_06 said:

snowmnag970 said:

Ouch, it was worse than both of us expected.

No doubt about that. Ha ha
62strat
AG
Damn. Is that gonna recover anytime soon?
cjo03
AG
62strat said:

Damn. Is that gonna recover anytime soon?

Maybe when Nike buys them
giddings_ag_06
AG
That's 2 bad quarters after a crap ton in a row that met or beat expectations. The sky isn't falling just yet. Sports Authority hurt UA quite a bit. I haven't looked at all the earnings reports yet this morning, but I'm sure that's a major contributor.
clobby
AG
well damn
Rice and Fries
12% Growth vs past 26 quarters of 20% growth.

EPS at $0.23 vs estimated at $0.25

$1.31B in revenue vs $1.41 estimated.

They are going to have to reinvent themselves and products lines. I love Tom Brady, but their endorsements aren't doing much. The sleep wear is stupid in my opinion. And when I think Under Armor, I think of athletic clothing that is used for Middle and Highschool football. While Nike and Adidas are used in College.My girlfriend loves Lulu lemon and would rather wear that over UA, so they gonna need some better attractive products to bring them from the 2nd tier to the 1st tier with Nike/Adidas
HoustonAg2014
AG
I ditched UA back in November after I took my lumps when I realized:

1) Their strategy of UA and UA class B was awful and terribly formatted which they later changed to UA and UAA. Terrible marketing for their stock.

2) Their growth strategy was terrible.

3) I do not see ANYONE these days wearing UA. I stopped buying their stuff in high school.
94chem
Quote:

And when I think Under Armor, I think of athletic clothing that is used for Middle and Highschool football.
Wow, has this thread turned. They haven't been able to transition from selling compression gear to pre-pubescent boys into selling them $75 golf shirts when they grow up?
giddings_ag_06
AG
Aggiesincebirth said:

I ditched UA back in November after I took my lumps when I realized:

1) Their strategy of UA and UA class B was awful and terribly formatted which they later changed to UA and UAA. Terrible marketing for their stock.

2) Their growth strategy was terrible.

3) I do not see ANYONE these days wearing UA. I stopped buying their stuff in high school.

Your 3rd point couldn't be any more wrong. I see UA everywhere. Do you just not get out? What caused you to suddenly stop buying their clothes? Not cool enough for you? Today at the gym over half of us were decked out in UA gear.

I have no idea what you're trying to say in your first point. Do you even know why they had that stock split?

And finally, their growth strategy was terrible? Until Sports Authority tanked, UA had steadily (and over expectations) grown every quarter for years. They had one of the best growth strategies if you ask me. Got in to golf and had the #1 pro golfer. Had the super bowl MVP quarterback (will probably have that again with Brady next week). Have steph curry who is dominating the basketball game. Yea, they have hit a speed bump the last two quarters, but saying their growth strategy sucks is idiotic. They've been arguably one of the hottest public companies for years.
Rice and Fries
Well I just bought 5 new golf shirts, all Adidas. But I'm 26.
DRE06
AG
yeah. 100% disagree with nobody wearing UA. As far as non-shoe athletic wear, they seem to be dominating.

I just haven't seen the momentum on shoes.....and that seems to be where the $ is. Seems like Adidas is gaining more share on Nike in the shoe segment than UA.
HoustonAg2014
AG
http://money.usnews.com/investing/articles/2016-12-20/ua-vs-uaa-whats-the-difference-between-under-armours-2-stock-classes

Maybe terrible is a stretch but telling your shareholders they do not have a lot of room to grow the next couple years was an issue.

And yeah I outgrew UA. Most of the apparel I see is Nike, Lulu, Adidas, and whatever else girls wear these days. The only people that seem to wear UA are people that feel the need to wear their UA hats in the gym or slap a UA sticker on the back of their car. There are wayyyyyy better golf shirts out there than Under Armour sorry to disappoint you.
bam02
AG
Aggiesincebirth said:

http://money.usnews.com/investing/articles/2016-12-20/ua-vs-uaa-whats-the-difference-between-under-armours-2-stock-classes

Maybe terrible is a stretch but telling your shareholders they do not have a lot of room to grow the next couple years was an issue.

And yeah I outgrew UA. Most of the apparel I see is Nike, Lulu, Adidas, and whatever else girls wear these days. The only people that seem to wear UA are people that feel the need to wear their UA hats in the gym or slap a UA sticker on the back of their car. There are wayyyyyy better golf shirts out there than Under Armour sorry to disappoint you.

I actually avoided wearing UA stuff for a long time because I thought it was just trendy. I bought a few fishing shirts and was sold on the quality.

I see it everywhere. I know what Lululemon is but wouldn't recognize it's logo if I ever we it. Also, I've never seen anyone with a UA sticker on their vehicle.

You seem really hostile towards UA. Did a UA- wearing high school football player steals your girlfriend?
giddings_ag_06
AG
bam02 said:

Aggiesincebirth said:

I actually avoided wearing UA stuff for a long time because I thought it was just trendy. I bought a few fishing shirts and was sold on the quality.

I see it everywhere. I know what Lululemon is but wouldn't recognize it's logo if I ever we it. Also, I've never seen anyone with a UA sticker on their vehicle.

You seem really hostile towards UA. Did a UA- wearing high school football player steals your girlfriend?

Probably just a heavy Nike investor.

I was most impressed with the "and whatever else girls wear these days" line. It's no shock that you won't see many girls wear UA because they only started making a push into the women's sector in the last year. It's heavily dominated by athletic men's lines. I also completely disagree on the wayyyyy better golf shirt stuff. In the words of The Dude, "I take it you're not a golfer"?
94chem
Quote:

100% disagree with nobody wearing UA. As far as non-shoe athletic wear, they seem to be dominating.
I'm not a UA fan. Their stuff is way over-priced status-wear. However, I do get tired of these discussions always being focused on hysterical short-term investors who think that one quarter of lower earnings means the company needs to "reinvent" itself. It's the biggest myth of the American free market. Instead of a balance between consumer-driven (finding needs and meeting them) or innovation-driven (finding the next big thing) companies, we have shareholder-driven (maximize short-term profits) companies. Sure, the shareholders are the owners, but they seldom know what is best for them.
ContinentalAg
Under $20 again for those that want to speculate.
NoahAg
Not directly UA related, but I was watching A Football Life, and in some highlights they showed from the early 90s, there were several teams with Starter uniforms! That was a trip. Those jackets were "the bomb" when I was in junior high. I don't any college or pro sports teams will be sporting Starter ever again.
cjo03
AG
down another 9% after earnings.
umadbro44
AG
The stock is still expensive even after the massive drop the past year.
agfan2013
AG
I was wondering why my Roth wasn't up as much today as it should've been with the Dow at another all time high. Don't have a huge amount of UA, but it looks like more than I should at this point.
Cancelled
AG
Has UA reached the point of British Knights/LA Gear? With the exception of one shirt (which wicks sweat, but smells terrible after about 2 hours), I've never owned any UA. I certainly wouldn't purchase their shoes.
redag06
Thinking about getting out of this taking my losses.

As for the apparel, I see their stuff on a daily basis at work, know several folks who only wear their polos to work.

I have 2 and love them, but bought them at 60% with an employee discount, I would never spend full price, but that goes for any of the brands nike, adidas, etc.
Nagler
AG
I still see a bunch of kids wearing it. Kids eventually grow into adults or at least adult like people. These kids will have grown up on UA. That will be there brand, not Nike or Addidas. That being said, kids don't grow up over night. Might be down for a good minute.
AggieMainland
UA shoes are terrible and so far the Curry shoes have been a huge flop. I do think the Curry 4s will be a huge hit in 2018. I know lots of people that don't even wear basketball shoes but are waiting for the Curry 4 Lows as a casual shoe. We'll see.
Diet Cokehead
AG
I have a few shirts and they are awesome, but their shoes suck and it's impossible to compete with the big boys if your shoes suck. Adidas seems to be fixing this of late, but is still light years behind Nike.

UA just doesn't have the prestige of Nike and (to a lesser extent} Adidas and probably never will.
Joe Exotic
AG
queso1 said:

Has UA reached the point of British Knights/LA Gear? With the exception of one shirt (which wicks sweat, but smells terrible after about 2 hours), I've never owned any UA. I certainly wouldn't purchase their shoes.

Just returned from a military mission and UA was the dominate line worn by most of the kids on the mission (50 or so across multiple demographics) 18-25. Some nike but nothing on UA.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.