Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Under Armour (UA)

23,949 Views | 138 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Bocephus
WestTexAg12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
WestTexAg12
AG
What. The. F*******????

Down almost 50%
WestTexAg12
AG
It said they did a stock split. What does this mean?
Pasquale Liucci
AG
Relax lol. It looks like they split their stock. Effectively doubled the shares in the company. If you are a shareholder, each of your shares is worth 1/2 as much as before but you own 2x as many shares.
WestTexAg12
AG
Is this supposed to help in the long run or what?
El Chupacabra
I wish they were down 50%. If be all over that.

Didn't they just split not too long ago?
Duncan Idaho
And I thought I was an unsophisticated investor
Ragoo
AG
Their ceo plans to split every time they get up near $100. Something about being attractive to retail investors.
Casey TableTennis
AG
There is a theoretical advantage to having a lower stock price due to many retail investors misperception that a stock that is at $25 is cheaper than a stock at $50 (with 1/2 as many shares). However, if a company is trying to reduce the number of shareholders having the higher price is better. Really it boils down to what type of investors they want as shareholders, if a preference even exists.

Warren Buffett has famously shunned the idea of splitting stocks.

El Chupacabra
They split in July 2012 and April 2014 and now again.

So 100 shares bought sometime before July 2012 would now be 800 shares.
Ragoo
AG
quote:
There is a theoretical advantage to having a lower stock price due to many retail investors misperception that a stock that is at $25 is cheaper than a stock at $50 (with 1/2 as many shares). However, if a company is trying to reduce the number of shareholders having the higher price is better. Really it boils down to what type of investors they want as shareholders, if a preference even exists.

Warren Buffett has famously shunned the idea of splitting stocks.

which is why his a-class shares are over $200k each.
WestTexAg12
AG
congrats. How old are you?
Duncan Idaho
Now or when I learned what a share of stock is and the idea of a market capitalization and how they relate?

One would be much older than you and the other would be much younger than you and certainly before I started buying individual stocks.
El Chupacabra
Just got me looking.

Apple would now be around 6,050 per share with no splits ever

GE would be around 2,950.

WMT 34,816

INTC 25,525

HD 9,150
Ragoo
AG
quote:
Just got me looking.

WMT 34,816

INTC 25,525

HD 9,150
apple would be higher if they also didn't start a dividend
giddings_ag_06
AG
This is a way for Kevin Plank to stay safely as a majority owner (as he should be) and the board to show they fully approve his leadership and he has their full support. You could (imo) safely call him one of the top 5 CEO's along with Musk, Cook, Knight and Zuckerburg, but that's obviously my personal opinion.

The split took a while due to a class action suit protesting the increase in Plank's ownership, which was stupid by the group that pursued it. I've owned UA for awhile and first bought in right after graduating from A&M in 2010. Not one time have I worried about UA's direction or goals and continue to feel very happy about the future in the company as long as Plank is in charge.

I'm not sure how you could A) not know the stock was going to split since its been planned so long and B) not just realize the stock opened half what it closed yesterday, therefore there must be a pretty simple explanation. I really think some people treat investing like Vegas.
gindaloon
AG
Although the effect on UA price appears to be a stock split it was actually a stock dividend. The company issued Class C Shares on a 1 for 1 basis to existing Class A and B holders in the form of a stock dividend. So if you had 100 shares of UA you now have 100 shares of UA AND 100 shares of UA.C
devastor
AG
quote:
Although the effect on UA price appears to be a stock split it was actually a stock dividend. The company issued Class C Shares on a 1 for 1 basis to existing Class A and B holders in the form of a stock dividend. So if you had 100 shares of UA you now have 100 shares of UA AND 100 shares of UA.C
So want is the difference between UA and UA.C? Guess what is a Class C shares? Advantages?
Ragoo
AG
quote:
quote:
So want is the difference between UA and UA.C? Guess what is a Class C shares? Advantages?
class c shares probably don't have voting rights.
oldarmy1
AG
quote:
This is a way for Kevin Plank to stay safely as a majority owner (as he should be) and the board to show they fully approve his leadership and he has their full support. You could (imo) safely call him one of the top 5 CEO's along with Musk, Cook, Knight and Zuckerburg, but that's obviously my personal opinion.

The split took a while due to a class action suit protesting the increase in Plank's ownership, which was stupid by the group that pursued it. I've owned UA for awhile and first bought in right after graduating from A&M in 2010. Not one time have I worried about UA's direction or goals and continue to feel very happy about the future in the company as long as Plank is in charge.

I'm not sure how you could A) not know the stock was going to split since its been planned so long and B) not just realize the stock opened half what it closed yesterday, therefore there must be a pretty simple explanation. I really think some people treat investing like Vegas.
Well said.
TheMasterplan
They sponsor Stephen Curry. They must be doing something right.
devastor
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Yeah looked more into this and you are correct. Does not have any voting rights.

So after this "stock split" I'm looking at buying more. Why would I buy UA Class C vs. UA Class A? Voting rights is not a huge deal to me but I want to invest in the class shares that would split again or potentially give out a dividend. P.S. UA does not have a dividend/yield at the moment.
gougler08
AG
quote:
And Jordan Spieth, and Cam Newton and others
Ragoo
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Yeah looked more into this and you are correct. Does not have any voting rights.

So after this "stock split" I'm looking at buying more. Why would I buy UA Class C vs. UA Class A? Voting rights is not a huge deal to me but I want to invest in the class shares that would split again or potentially give out a dividend. P.S. UA does not have a dividend/yield at the moment.
my guess is that you would buy UA shares instead of UA.C shares.
62strat
AG
quote:
quote:
Hmm.. a couple of guys who blew their big chance this year?
gougler08
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Haha fair enough, but I'd also argue they are the face of their respective sports at this point (maybe not Cam, but he will carry a large following in the younger age, more so than Brady or Rodgers)
giddings_ag_06
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Haha fair enough, but I'd also argue they are the face of their respective sports at this point (maybe not Cam, but he will carry a large following in the younger age, more so than Brady or Rodgers)

Good thing for UA, they have Brady too. And Michael Phelps. And Misty Copeland. And Clayton Kershaw.

UA has great athletes on their roster.
AgBank
AG
quote:
Now or when I learned what a share of stock is and the idea of a market capitalization and how they relate?

One would be much older than you and the other would be much younger than you and certainly before I started buying individual stocks.
I believe I learned about stock splits when I was playing Railroad Tycoon. I guess that puts me at 12 years old?
Duncan Idaho
quote:
Just got me looking.

WMT 34,816

INTC 25,525

HD 9,150

At first glance That GE number is surprisingly low just due to the age of the company.
giddings_ag_06
AG
quote:
quote:
Just got me looking.

WMT 34,816

INTC 25,525

HD 9,150

At first glance That GE number is surprisingly low just due to the age of the company.

But you also have to consider all the dividend money you'd have made since then, which if you reinvested, would be a significant amount of shares.
62strat
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Good thing for UA, they have Brady too. And Michael Phelps. And Misty Copeland. And Clayton Kershaw.

UA has great athletes on their roster.
no doubt. Just thought it was funny he listed two of the biggest hyped up players that blew their championship game. (Well, to give credit where it's due, Cam didn't really blow it, he just never met Von and Demarcus before that game)
Duncan Idaho
I get that and it is why I phrase it the way I did and not "suspiciously low" or something that would make me think it was wrong.
Cowboy Curtis
AG
quote:
quote:
Throw in Tom Brady's 4 game suspension. Their star athletes are all in the news for the wrong reasons and shares are down almost $2 today...
gougler08
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Throw in Tom Brady's 4 game suspension. Their star athletes are all in the news for the wrong reasons and shares are down almost $2 today...
The suspension was reinstated on Monday right? Do you really think that news is what caused the stock to drop $2 today, seeing as its 48 hour old news now?
Cowboy Curtis
AG
Not at all. Just saying it's been a rough April for their superstars.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.