Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

23,982,412 Views | 231555 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by Heineken-Ashi
Heineken-Ashi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bhanacik said:

Chef Elko said:

Heineken-Ashi said:

Chef Elko said:

I just feel like if this was all true why would the government allow Bitcoin etfs and allow cryptocurrencies to be more accessible to older folks/those who have amassed a large amount of assets?
Because the wealthy class wanted access to the constant 401k money to profit off the speculation in BTC.

Is BTC a government psyop created to eventually pivot the USD to BTC? Doubt it, but you never know.

Will the wealth class let anything that is highly speculated and traded exist without getting their piece of the pie? Never.
Why not just let it thrive in various exchanges and more in the shadows so the wealthy can exploit more market inefficiencies? There's two sides to everything brought up here.

I'm not confident the federal government will ever cut back spending like they should. The can will be kicked forever. If the dollar truly fails, how bad will we be off? Certainly the entire world will be in chaos.
This is my thought as well. The government will always come up with some way to carry on; just like they did in 2008.
Lyn Alden put out a fantastic article today to her paid subscribers. Just going to post the very last section as it's relevant to your line of thinking.

Quote:

The Changing Game Rules

The properties of the fiat currency system have incentivized debt accumulation and the playing of this global game of financial Blackjack.

Four decades of falling interest rates have been a huge tailwind for this strategy, since debts could continually be refinanced at ever-lower rates, and increasingly at rates that are very low relative to the rate of money supply growth. Additionally, large numbers of open capital markets in an increasingly connected world have made it possible to arbitrage between jurisdictions as well.

[url=]
[/url]
Now, after interest rates bounced off zero in developed markets and may start going structurally sideways instead of structurally down, the effectiveness of that strategy is likely to diminish.
And as governments around the world increasingly have high debt at their sovereign level, they become increasingly incapable of sustaining high positive real yields for long periods of time, which makes it harder for them to convincingly fight inflation. Countries that face acute fiscal issues often turn to capital controls, which impairs the game of global financial Blackjack. It happened all the time in developed countries from the 1930s into the 1970s, and still happens all the time more recently in various emerging markets.
Quote:

High public debt often produces the drama of default and restructuring. But debt is also reduced through financial repression, a tax on bondholders and savers via negative or belowmarket real interest rates. After WWII, capital controls and regulatory restrictions created a captive audience for government debt, limiting tax-base erosion. Financial repression is most successful in liquidating debt when accompanied by inflation. For the advanced economies, real interest rates were negative of the time during 19451980. Average annual interest expense savings for a 12country sample range from about 1 to 5 percent of GDP for the full 19451980 period. We suggest that, once again, financial repression may be part of the toolkit deployed to cope with the most recent surge in public debt in advanced economies.
-The Liquidation of Government Debt, IMF Working Paper 2015/007
Geopolitical conflicts are likely to further add barriers between the free movement of capital. Whether it's kinetic wars or trade wars or financial wars, as large groups of countries increasingly have tensions between each other in terms of strategic interests and run into their own fiscal dominance issues, the frictions on global capital movement have a high likelihood of increasing.

So, the effectiveness of this global financial Blackjack strategy is likely going to diminish, although entities that already locked their debt in for long durations are potentially in a position to ride the momentum for quite a while longer.

The types of investments that worked well during the past four decades are less likely to work quite as well over the next four decades. The virtuous cycle of ever-lower interest rates, ever-higher private debt levels, and ever-higher equity valuations, is likely getting past its prime, and is at risk of rolling over into a vicious cycle in the other direction.

And in that shifting environment, it's important to remember that most investments are bad. The majority of unlevered businesses are not strong enough to produce returns for passive investors that outperform T-bills or gold. The majority of unlevered real estate properties, after maintenance and operation and taxes are considered, also fail to outperform basic assets like gold.

So in that environment, from the perspective of a passive outside investor looking to deploy capital, it's important to either seek out the businesses that have durable competitive advantages (network effects, powerful brands, intangible property, economies of scale, oligopoly participation, and so forth), or to be very sensitive to valuations when buying mediocre companies.

The prior four decades are unlikely to be a good dataset for back-testing and forming strategies that will work for next four decades, because the conditions will likely be quite different.

And the most important part..

Quote:

For equity and real estate investors, the key takeaways from this piece are 1) do not extrapolate the prior decades for a given investment and instead assess it with this context in mind, 2) try to emphasize the sectors that Bessembinder identified as ones that disproportionally generate excess returns, and 3) look for companies that have locked in or are otherwise still able to play this arbitrage game going forward in a more difficult environment for it.

Additionally, hard monies become a serious alternative once again in this context, and are worth serious consideration for a portfolio slice, because the hurdle rate for stocks to outperform them is high when there are not a lot of tailwinds at the backs of stocks.

“Give it hell Heinekandle, I’m enjoying it.”
- Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX

“No secure borders, no alpha military, no energy independence, no leadership and most of all no mean tweets - this is the worst trade I’ve ever witnessed in my lifetime. ***Put that quote in your quote/signature section HeinendKandle*** LOL!”
- also Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX (obviously in a worse mood)
59 South
AG
I'm on the fancy Italian vino tonight after a craptastic day at the office myself. I did have a +$3.5k trading week on 2/3 trades after botching the 1 loser when I knew better.

Now switched to Portuguese vino watching one of the 8 million Jurassic world movies with my 10 year old who refuses to go to bed. Oh well, cool dad time.

Had to use my upper middle class Ooni pizza oven to make pizzas of choice for all the ladies of my life earlier ages 8, 10, and 39.9…

Picked up an 8 pack of Guinness pints at Sainsbury's earlier chap! Open invite if you want to visit for a few and a premier league footy match!
El_duderino
You mean to tell me that kids still refuse to go to bed at 10 years old?

59 South
AG
Depends on the kid and their personality. 8 year old at like 8pm is like hey dad it's bedtime snuggle time! 10 year old is like hey dad let's stay up till like 1 am and watch cool movies! Please!!!! I can have popcorn and M&Ms and you have wine!
ProgN
59 South said:

I'm on the fancy Italian vino tonight after a craptastic day at the office myself. I did have a +$3.5k trading week on 2/3 trades after botching the 1 loser when I knew better.

Now switched to Portuguese vino watching one of the 8 million Jurassic world movies with my 10 year old who refuses to go to bed. Oh well, cool dad time.

Had to use my upper middle class Ooni pizza oven to make pizzas of choice for all the ladies of my life earlier ages 8, 10, and 39.9…

Picked up an 8 pack of Guinness pints at Sainsbury's earlier chap! Open invite if you want to visit for a few and a premier league footy match!
59 South
AG
Omg
ProgN
59 South said:

Picked up an 8 pack of Guinness pints at Sainsbury's earlier chap!
Heineken-Ashi
Just as a learning experience for everyone.. take winners when you have them the second the trend starts to move against you. I broke my first rule the last two weeks, I held out for max gain instead of taking a huge win.

Through a private group I pay to be a part of, we initiated IWM May 3 $199 puts a month ago for $2.35 each.

The night that Israel and Iran starting flicking each others beans was the bottom in IWM after a very promising downtrend EXACTLY AS PLANNED. The trading day leading up to it saw these at $9.00+, but we knew max gain was IWM $187 or $12 per contract. With plenty of time to spare we held. Even a week later, I could have still sold for $8. I kept saying "its going to drop to target, just a matter of time".

Well this week, I sold half for $5.00 per contract. The other half expired worthless today. Gave up 3.8x waiting for 5x, only to make barely over 2x. On my smaller account I held all waiting for max gain and lost completely.

And ultimately, the target was pretty much hit, it just happened after hours. Should have pivoted but the promise of max $$$ made me irrational and stupid.

If you do 50 plays risking the same $$ each time, and 20 of them make 3x while the other 30 expire worthless, you've netted a 2x on all 50. That's just a 40% hit rate. Do them math on 50 or 60%. Yes, the big gains can be huge. But take the 3.8x on 75% and leave 25% for runners (talking to myself here).

Long story short, don't let the lure of $$ make you go against your rules and your plan. Stay consistent. Even the most successful people still make stupid mistakes.

P.S. - Will be shorting IWM again within the next two weeks unless the bulls take back total control.

“No secure borders, no alpha military, no energy independence, no leadership and most of all no mean tweets - this is the worst trade I’ve ever witnessed in my lifetime. ***Put that quote in your quote/signature section HeinendKandle*** LOL!”
59 South
AG
Hilarious. Taking a client to Brentford v Fulham tomorrow. Meeting at the pub at 1pm, game at 3pm, then after game at pub. 8ish pints and back home by 6-7pm or so. Mrs 59 will be thrilled!
gougler08
AG
59 South said:

Hilarious. Taking a client to Brentford v Fulham tomorrow. Meeting at the pub at 1pm, game at 3pm, then after game at pub. 8ish pints and back home by 6-7pm or so. Mrs 59 will be thrilled!

Drinking and sports on the company dime is the way to enjoy a Saturday!
59 South
AG
Meh, don't even care if company dime or not to be honest. You're welcome if ever in London again!
ProgN
Heineken-Ashi said:

Just as a learning experience for everyone.. take winners when you have them the second the trend starts to move against you. I broke my first rule the last two weeks, I held out for max gain instead of taking a huge win.

Through a private group I pay to be a part of, we initiated IWM May 3 $199 puts a month ago for $2.35 each.

The night that Israel and Iran starting flicking each others beans was the bottom in IWM after a very promising downtrend EXACTLY AS PLANNED. The trading day leading up to it saw these at $9.00+, but we knew max gain was IWM $187 or $12 per contract. With plenty of time to spare we held. Even a week later, I could have still sold for $8. I kept saying "its going to drop to target, just a matter of time".

Well this week, I sold half for $5.00 per contract. The other half expired worthless today. Gave up 3.8x waiting for 5x, only to make barely over 2x. On my smaller account I held all waiting for max gain and lost completely.

And ultimately, the target was pretty much hit, it just happened after hours. Should have pivoted but the promise of max $$$ made me irrational and stupid.

If you do 50 plays risking the same $$ each time, and 20 of them make 3x while the other 30 expire worthless, you've netted a 2x on all 50. That's just a 40% hit rate. Do them math on 50 or 60%. Yes, the big gains can be huge. But take the 3.8x on 75% and leave 25% for runners (talking to myself here).

Long story short, don't let the lure of $$ make you go against your rules and your plan. Stay consistent. Even the most successful people still make stupid mistakes.

P.S. - Will be shorting IWM again within the next two weeks unless the bulls take back total control.
Just to add to this, I bolded what I was guilty of myself a couple of times this week. I broke discipline because "I just knew more than what my parameters were said to do". Well, nope, I'd have made a lot on those trades, but hindsight is 20/20. Instead of booking the profits, I'm still in them and I'm down.

I learned a lesson though. I developed my discipline over many many years and experience for a reason so I should've followed it.

Tl;dr: Maintain discipline, remove emotion and don't get cocky.
gougler08
AG
59 South said:

Meh, don't even care if company dime or not to be honest. You're welcome if ever in London again!

I'm pushing for a more global role in my next assignment so if I'm successful, I'll definitely be in London more moving forward. I'll take you up on it if I make it over
Heineken-Ashi

ProgN
59 South said:

Oh, I can't wait until I have the time to take you up on this offer and Mrs. 59 South makes you delete your account, not your invite post, your account.
59 South
AG
Meh don't care what she thinks. YOLO let's go!
ProgN
Heineken-Ashi said:

Is that a pictorial example of how bad you missed your targets this week, or did I interpret it wrong?
Heineken-Ashi
ProgN said:

Heineken-Ashi said:

Is that a pictorial example of how bad you missed your targets this week, or did I interpret it wrong?

El_duderino
Heineken-Ashi
This is me right now

ETX_Ag_22_24
AG

I always stop myself from sharing tweets from random accounts I follow, but I thought this one was worth the share!
BlueTaze
CVNA Puts?

Set an alert for $140 to go short.

Chef Elko
AG
How in the hell does this stock make it back from $4 to $120?!?! Wtf, blows my mind.
agdaddy04
AG
lol yep and I sold it at $60 after losing my ass…
ravingfans
AG
Heineken-Ashi said:

bmoochie said:

I won't speak for the stock portion but I actually just had this conversation with my financial advisor who handles my Roth/extra insurance/529. She stated that if you have enough equity in your house, you can essentially buy the property outright with a loan and using house as collateral. So for the sake of round numbers let's say I was looking at a $50k lot. I can own that property today and only have to pay the interest on it if that's what I wanted to do.

So lets say interest is 5%, i would only pay $2500 per year I have it. If my sole purpose was to flip in a three years and sell for lets say $80k. I would have only paid $7500 on this property that I now was able to sell for significant profit.

Now to preface I have not done any research on this yet to dive into this but it was a fairly quick conversation. Heini I think your background is real estate so you can maybe provide more detail on that.
Sounds like a HELOC. Borrowing from your equity at today's rates, paying interest only on the amount you draw, refunding it with proceeds from an investment. Just talked to jja79 on the phone about it for a remodel I need done.

And why would the bank want to do that? Because their investment (loan to you for your house) is locked in at rates that likely won't be seen again. They are getting paid from you less than they are paying on their own borrowings. Letting you access your equity and paying interest on it, means they get more from their investment in your house than they would have previously, with no additional risk.

Have to be VERY careful these days with unscrupulous greedy lenders (yes banks!) who see your equity as a big prize to steal from you. Happened to two different friends, including a war veteran. Boils my blood!

Basically, the loan is on a property that appreciates rapidly, and the bank calls a loan on flimsy grounds and pressures, forces the borrower into a default, then seizes the property and flips it for a quick profit.

The Rib says frequently how she rests easy knowing our house is paid off. She becomes very upset with even a hint of tapping into our home equity for any reason whatsoever. I am only just beginning to realize how wise she is without even knowing it--God richly blessed me with her for sure.

TLDR: be very careful with loan sharks working at well known banks who are looking for an excuse to steal your equity and kick you to the curb...

[Red face aimed at the lenders, not you H-A]
lobwedgephil
BlueTaze said:

CVNA Puts?

Set an alert for $140 to go short.

Could easily reject here, but if it keeps going, better spot for me to short would be $159-160 area.

flashplayer
AG
Careful with CVNA if you're thinking a near timeframe. 30 something percent of shares were shorted the other day when it broke out following the earnings surprise
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brewmaster
AG
ravingfans said:

Heineken-Ashi said:

bmoochie said:

I won't speak for the stock portion but I actually just had this conversation with my financial advisor who handles my Roth/extra insurance/529. She stated that if you have enough equity in your house, you can essentially buy the property outright with a loan and using house as collateral. So for the sake of round numbers let's say I was looking at a $50k lot. I can own that property today and only have to pay the interest on it if that's what I wanted to do.

So lets say interest is 5%, i would only pay $2500 per year I have it. If my sole purpose was to flip in a three years and sell for lets say $80k. I would have only paid $7500 on this property that I now was able to sell for significant profit.

Now to preface I have not done any research on this yet to dive into this but it was a fairly quick conversation. Heini I think your background is real estate so you can maybe provide more detail on that.
Sounds like a HELOC. Borrowing from your equity at today's rates, paying interest only on the amount you draw, refunding it with proceeds from an investment. Just talked to jja79 on the phone about it for a remodel I need done.

And why would the bank want to do that? Because their investment (loan to you for your house) is locked in at rates that likely won't be seen again. They are getting paid from you less than they are paying on their own borrowings. Letting you access your equity and paying interest on it, means they get more from their investment in your house than they would have previously, with no additional risk.

Have to be VERY careful these days with unscrupulous greedy lenders (yes banks!) who see your equity as a big prize to steal from you. Happened to two different friends, including a war veteran. Boils my blood!

Basically, the loan is on a property that appreciates rapidly, and the bank calls a loan on flimsy grounds and pressures, forces the borrower into a default, then seizes the property and flips it for a quick profit.

The Rib says frequently how she rests easy knowing our house is paid off. She becomes very upset with even a hint of tapping into our home equity for any reason whatsoever. I am only just beginning to realize how wise she is without even knowing it--God richly blessed me with her for sure.

TLDR: be very careful with loan sharks working at well known banks who are looking for an excuse to steal your equity and kick you to the curb...

[Red face aimed at the lenders, not you H-A]

is it wrong to Rule #1?

edit: that was ravingfans not Heineken post, I need more sleep.

you all were on a roll with gifs, figured I'd join!
Heineken-Ashi
?

ProgN
https://www.tipranks.com/news/snowflake-nysesnow-this-ai-stock-is-severely-underrated

Pretty good writeup regarding SNOW and echo's what I've recently said regarding their new CEO.
El_duderino
I think I bought shares around $165 and stopped out for a small loss. Past the wash sale time limit now so SNOW is back on my radar.
Heineken-Ashi
I think OPEN has a good chance for $10 by election, but I'm not sold that it's ready yet. Maybe one more low. Put it on your radar for a potential bottoming before next earnings and a buy opportunity.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Futures falling hard.
Spoony Love
AG
Feels like we are setting up for a trap. If SPY stays this elevated at open, it creates a couple gaps down below that are ripe for a dump. Lots of negative sentiment other than the big seven. Be careful this week folks.
First Page Last Page
Page 6432 of 6616

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.