Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

24,165,527 Views | 232066 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by Heineken-Ashi
Ag CPA
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I bet something like 95% of the bans on this site come from F16 and F5 (maybe Premium has some as well, don't know).

ETA: Forgot about Rivalries; never go there but the name alone makes it sound ripe for banning.
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
Ag CPA said:

I bet something like 95% of the bans on this site come from F16 and F5 (maybe Premium has some as well, don't know).

And prog has earned himself a market share of at least 20% of the total bans

Just kidding prog, we <3 you!
ProgN
Red Pear Luke (BCS) said:

Ag CPA said:

And prog has earned himself a market share of at least 20% of the total bans

Just kidding prog, we <3 you!

20%? I have my own cabin at banned camp my friend.
Heineken-Ashi
Does anyone use Ichimoku clouds? If not, here's a very quick run through.

High Level: The cloud works best in trends. Price above the cloud = bullish trend up. Price below the cloud = bearish trend down. Price in the cloud = no trade.

Basic settings: Here's a screenshot from investopedia.

When you go to input the settings on your platform, the default will be..
Conversion Line - 9 (The average of the highest high and the lowest low calculated over the previous nine periods)
Base Line Length - 26 (This is the average of the highest high and the lowest low over the past 26 periods)
Leading Span A Length - 26 (The average of the previous two plotted 26 periods ahead)
Leading Span B Length - 52 (averages the highest high and the lowest low taken over the past 52 candles and plotted 26 periods ahead)
Lagging Span - 26 (Close price of each candle plotted 26 periods behind)

In Japan, traditionally the work month included 26 days which is why that number is used. Personally, I like fib numbers. So my settings are in order... 8,21,21,42,21. This also lines up with the 8/21 crossover which I've come to learn is so key. The traditional settings are how 99% of traders will use this though and probably recommended until you get a feel.

What it looks like: Here's the last year of IWM daily candles.
Green cloud = bullish cloud trend, top acting as support and bottom as final support.
Red cloud = bearish cloud trend, bottom acting as resistance and top as final resistance.
Blue line = 8 EMA
Orange line = 21 EMA
Yellow line = Lagging Span
First lower indicator - RSI
Second lower Indicator - MACD

How to use this: First of all, while it can be as simple as break above the cloud = go long and break below = go short, often times, those events have already missed big chunks of the move or lost significant profits. Those moves are the LAST indicator for a new trend taking hold.

This chart alone has MANY support and resistance levels depending on where you are. When firmly above or below the cloud, it will be..

1. 8 EMA
2. 21 EMA
3. Top of cloud
4. Bottom of cloud

But there's one more shown below. The lagging span shows the close price 26 days behind current action. So if we take the last major low on the chart, look at where that was on the yellow lagging span line, and then line that point in time up with the candle on the same day, THAT CANDLE was predictive of the next significant resistance area. It's not always going to land 100% where that candle was, but IF a new trend were to form, you can almost always bet your ass that level will be hit during the next trend and often act as a general support or resistance area. See the box on the chart below.

Price came and found the same area, which also happened to be after a bullish 8/21 crossover and the top of the cloud, and used that area as resistance. From there, it used the 8 EMA as support to continue riding upward with RSI and MACD in a strong uptrend. This is a way to visualize a potential target from a price reversal once you feel like on is in place. But for it to work, a new trend HAS to take hold. If 21 days go by and it hasn't happened, it likely isn't going to.

So can we use this to project what a downtrend from here might do? Sure! Just take Friday's close, go to the yellow lagging span line, find the candle on that day, and that's the general price level you are looking for. But we also need to make sure we know where the EMA's are so we can look for crossover, and the most important, where the cloud is.

There's one more key about the cloud that is probably the most important. The thinner the cloud, the easier it is to breakthrough. It can breakthrough anywhere, but if it approaches a thin spot, it likes to knife through like butter. In this case, we have 4-5 days of paper thin cloud. If we start a downtrend, it could theoretically get through quickly and be a potentially very bearish signal of a new, longer, deeper, downtrend. But using the chart above, we are aiming for the low $190's in a reversal scenario. And as long as we get there within the next 21 days, we will end up below the cloud forcing the cloud to become resistance and not support as it is right now.

I strongly recommed doing a deeper dive if your interested. This is another powerful trend indicator. Simply having it on your charts is a huge clue as to where you are in the process.
"H-A: In return for the flattery, can you reduce the size of your signature? It's the only part of your posts that don't add value. In its' place, just put "I'm an investing savant, and make no apologies for it", as oldarmy1 would do."
- I Bleed Maroon (distracted easily by signatures)
Heineken-Ashi
Eyeing April $17 or $18 calls for UNG early this week. Price target is $19-$21. The $17's under $1.00 and the $18's under $0.50 for a 2x minimum.
"H-A: In return for the flattery, can you reduce the size of your signature? It's the only part of your posts that don't add value. In its' place, just put "I'm an investing savant, and make no apologies for it", as oldarmy1 would do."
Bocephus
AG
Reddit is starting their road show. Allegedly gonna IPO at $31-34 a share. I will short it as soon as you are allowed to
TAMU ‘98 Ole Miss ‘21
Heineken-Ashi
Bocephus said:

Reddit is starting their road show. Allegedly gonna IPO at $31-34 a share. I will short it as soon as you are allowed to
It's not shorting when it's done to them. It's called downvoting.
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
Bocephus said:

I grew up on Reddit. Discovered it in 2010 as a fish in the dorm 1 with my old Lady. We'd stay up late at night giggling about the comments made on the various subs.

I learned to harness its power, googling "best watches to buy for fitness" or "tips for improving my running", etc. I also was part of the old legion on r/cfb with TrimChaser and other notables. I found r/wsb as part of my initial foray into investing. Buying the likes of MSFT and yahoo. Even made a few scheckles on AMD when it was $2/share (I beat myself every time thinking about selling those shares).

It was great. You had the wonderfulness like Texags bc of the anonymous aspect. But also way more engagement. You could post a question and find help and people answering questions. Be it about gardening, stocks, college football, squirrel haters, r/50_50 (iykyk), etc. People would build these subreddits to talk about anything and you could learn or have repository's to learn. It was great and addicting. The gold was always in the comments.

Then Reddit started sucking. It had an extremely liberal slant. There was still great spots to go and avoid it. But it just got more and more trash. But you still had greatness like GameStop trades and whatnot.

But this last two years, it's gotten so unusable. They've destroyed what made it great. All in the name of a dollar, which I can respect. But I've almost stopped using it completely save for the NFL and CFB subreddits during the season.

I would not buy the stock, but not for the reason above. It wouldn't buy it because they can't sell ads. They've struggled forever to monetize the app since I've been on. They make enough to cover the server and running costs. But that's it. It's not a money maker. Its real value is a data mine for learning but that life only has so much value.

I don't have balls to short because my bone to pick on shorting is Arbor and others in the real estate game with extreme cases of fraud. But I don't see long term value in Reddit.
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
Here is a link to a similar gif but one of the funniest ones I've ever seen regarding the stock market. This is the OG but it's pretty close…

https://www.reddit.com/r/wallstreetbets/comments/r7ibhe/what_the_hell_do_we_do_now/
Heineken-Ashi
If futures keep going down we might not have time to grab IWM entries. Night owls and world jockeys might get it done before we open.
Brewmaster
AG
switched to Log scale... and trying these clouds. Similar to Ripster's clouds no?

I can't seem to get the red clouds to show up though.

Heineken-Ashi
Brewmaster said:

switched to Log scale... and trying these clouds. Similar to Ripster's clouds no?

I can't seem to get the red clouds to show up though.

You might have to toy with the settings and colors.
Brewmaster
AG
closed out AMD puts at open, big winners. Sorry didn't post that here, I got a late entry on Friday in them (but liked that AMD lost a pretty key recent level). it might be going for that 192 gap now.
Heineken-Ashi
IWM falling
texagbeliever
Brewmaster said:

sold AMD puts at open, big winners. Sorry didn't post that here, I got a late entry on Friday in them (but liked that AMD lost a pretty key recent level). it might be going for that 192 gap now.
I'm guessing you mean you closed out on AMD puts at open not sold to an open position.

I see SPY & QQQ threatening the bottom of their upward channels since Oct.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
AAPL with a relief bounce.
Heineken-Ashi
If SMCI gives up $1,000, $950 could come fairly quick.
FishrCoAg
AG
Just sold ASAN 20.50 calls expiring Friday for 1.20, stock is at 18.77. Nice little 4 day return whether called or not.
FishrCoAg
AG
FishrCoAg said:

Just sold ASAN 20.50 calls expiring Friday for 1.20, stock is at 18.77. Nice little 4 day return whether called or not.

ETA covered calls on prior holdings
Brewmaster
AG
texagbeliever said:

Brewmaster said:

sold AMD puts at open, big winners. Sorry didn't post that here, I got a late entry on Friday in them (but liked that AMD lost a pretty key recent level). it might be going for that 192 gap now.
I'm guessing you mean you closed out on AMD puts at open not sold to an open position.

I see SPY & QQQ threatening the bottom of their upward channels since Oct.
yes sir, closed out, sorry, poorly worded.

NVDA trying to bounce, so is AMD.
Heineken-Ashi
If SPX bounces here, need to watch 5125 level for potential head and shoulders on short timeframe candles.
ravingfans
AG
Heineken-Ashi said:

Let's say we get to IWM $208 and change. What strike do we pick and what expiration? It's ultimately up to you. The expert I learned from charts out on excel 9 strikes over 3 different expirations. He takes the each strike and subtracts the 3rd wave target, in this case it would be around $201. So a $205 strike minus $201 at expiration would be a $4 contract. Getting there before expiration would give you a time (theta) premium above that. That's the minimum target. Then take each strike minus the 5th wave target, in this case it would be $199 on the high end. So that same $205 strike would be worth $6 in the "expected" scenario. Just have to give yourself enough time to get there. And if we get to that level, IWM $205's should be around $1.00 per contract, so that's a potential 4x minimum and 6x maximum for March 15's, and $2.20 or so for March 22's. I don't like the minimum to be less than 2x, so I would likely go March 15 to make sure I capture most bang for he buck for the 3rd wave down.

I don't think we need to go longer out than a month, and likely not more than a week or two to get the meat of the move. Once the 3rd wave hits, you will take some or all profits, as 4th waves can go sideways as bulls start to step back in and put up a fight. You're never guaranteed a 5th wave, especially looking down. It's icing on the cake and should only entail a holding of the full amount of contracts if everything has happened EXACTLY as expected with plenty of time remaining.

Watching VERY closely Monday. IWM/RUT need to take out the 61.8% level to make me cautious about downside coming. The 76.4% level giving way makes me likely abandon the put trade, as the setup just wouldn't be optimal anymore and bulls would have a strong chance to push to new highs. And if we get new highs, we look for the next top to do this again.

so since IWM is at $205.36 or so, the puts are increasing in value

I'm seeing Mar15's with $205 strike at around $2.23 and Mar22's at around $3.50

on your other post with after hours trading, etc did these move to fast to get in, or does this indicate moving the strike lower?

with a strike of $202, I'm seeing Mar15 @ $202 for $1.11 and Mar22 @ $202 for $2.25
Brewmaster
AG
UNFI moving up... might be reversing trend. or quick bounce play
Heineken-Ashi
We did not get the bounce I was looking for and then opened solidly down. There's a chance this open was an extension of Friday's down move and it moves to consolidate this week back into my target zone where the puts become an option again, but it's just not as straightforward and predictable at this time. On monthly candles, IWM looks like a nice cup and handle. So upside can't be discounted. This setup was dependent on Friday's low holding and getting a retrace back up. Still watching, but it's not actionable at this time unless you are gambling.
nortex97
AG
SILV up 18 percent today. Hopefully that run up continues, I am still down a bit on it.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/silvercrest-reports-fourth-quarter-2023-110300430.html
Heineken-Ashi
nortex97 said:

SILV up 18 percent today. Hopefully that run up continues, I am still down a bit on it.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/silvercrest-reports-fourth-quarter-2023-110300430.html
On the micro level, I'm looking for one more move up in SLV to $22.70 area. If $21.50 can hold on a pullback, SLV should move over $23 in the coming days or weeks. From that point, it absolutely has to hold $21 and really never get back under it. If it can do that, whoa nelly for this summer/fall. Miners and holding companies do their own thing until the underlying metals really start moving. Then it's pretty lockstop with the better companies obviously likely to outperform.
ravingfans
AG
Heineken-Ashi said:

We did not get the bounce I was looking for and then opened solidly down. There's a chance this open was an extension of Friday's down move and it moves to consolidate this week back into my target zone where the puts become an option again, but it's just not as straightforward and predictable at this time. On monthly candles, IWM looks like a nice cup and handle. So upside can't be discounted. This setup was dependent on Friday's low holding and getting a retrace back up. Still watching, but it's not actionable at this time unless you are gambling.
thanks--this helps. I'm attempting to take the gambling out of my trading
Brewmaster
AG
nm
Heineken-Ashi
Looking more and more like BTC miners have a big fall ahead of them. Don't get impatient. These guys have huge swings in both directions.
I bleed maroon
AG
Heineken-Ashi said:

Looking more and more like BTC miners have a big fall ahead of them. Don't get impatient. These guys have huge swings in both directions.
What's your take on COIN? I have held 100 shares for several years that are finally back to even, and rolled my $200 covered calls to $250. I have an order in to roll them again, to $300s, but I may just let the shares get called away. Open to suggestions...
Heineken-Ashi
I bleed maroon said:

Heineken-Ashi said:

What's your take on COIN? I have held 100 shares for several years that are finally back to even, and rolled my $200 covered calls to $250. I have an order in to roll them again, to $300s, but I may just let the shares get called away. Open to suggestions...
Getting frothy. Ideal target is $300 on the low end and $340 on the high end. Possibly topped already though within it's current move off the February low. This is a diagonal of some sort, hence the large swings up and large overlapping swings back down which makes it extremely hard to predict on its own.

I'm personally expecting BTC $76k to be resistance with a possible significant drop before bullish continuation after the halving.

Long story short, I'm not confident in much of anything at this point other than a large swing down of some sort seems to be on the horizon. But we're talking BTC here, something with limited supply and increasing global adoption. Looking at it like a stock might be foolish. And in return, looking at things that benefit and mimic it's bull/bear runs can be equally foolish.
Heineken-Ashi
Watch UNG if it drops but can hold above $15.20. March 15th $16 calls should be 20 cents or cheaper with price target $16.50-$17 on a bounce move which would offer 2.5x-5x potential.
HoustonAg_2009
Anyone following OPRA? I don't know much about it at all, but a paid stock service I'm in recommended it today.
Brewmaster
AG
lots of flow on MARA calls

maybe they are playing a short term bounce
gougler08
AG
HoustonAg_2009 said:

Anyone following OPRA? I don't know much about it at all, but a paid stock service I'm in recommended it today.
I don't see what would trigger wanting to buy now...maybe if it gets closer to $10 which looks like a firm floor
First Page Last Page
Page 6359 of 6631

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.