Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

24,170,193 Views | 232066 Replies | Last: 16 hrs ago by Heineken-Ashi
Charismatic Megafauna
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX
frankm01 said:

Good to hear from you Farmer. Thanks for this info. I'm sure l speak for all of us here that we miss your valuable insight. Hope things are going well with Mrs Farmer.
Thank you! I'll work to improve.
Thank you! We're on a good path.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Great to have you back Farmer! None of the oil stuff has been making sense the last several months, i don't even think contraband russian oil flooding the developing world explains it. Could be fun when it breaks free! (If you're invested or in the business...not if you have a long commute in a gas guzzler!)
Hope that info helped. Red Sea issues add a little bounce. I dont rule the markets, but ME in total tense situation and crude oil Furures drop....doesnt pass the sniff test at all. I think traders might actually be paying attention in this last move up in crude. Saudi said Q1 will be tight, my math says same, we'll see..
yocod
AG
Not sure if I see oil rebounding much in 2024. Feel like election-year shenanigans cannot be overlooked, and I'm more inclined to think oil prices "find a way" to say suppressed through November. But, I'm also invested in E&Ps and some pipeline (long term investor), and look at any continued suppression as opportunity for the long haul, and if prices do rebound then all the better. I think if you're looking long-term, now is a fine time to dip a toe. Just my $0.02 from random internet guy.
EnronAg
AG
this market just continues to hit ATH after ATH every day...not sure there are any catalysts in the short term that fills all of these stranded SPY gaps...is it possible this moon shot just leaves them stranded behind??? My goodness, thought we'd get some pullback...I mean the pain trade HAS to be a sizable pullback after it has sucked sooooooooo many bears back in...
ProgN
I suspect January will not be pleasant at all.
Ragoo
AG
ProgN said:

I suspect January will not be pleasant at all.
probably a lot of dollars that entered a year ago maturing into short term cap gains with huge relative returns….
E
AG
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
You were saying?
Heineken-Ashi
I own April SPXU calls. Not as a bearish play. But to profit off bullish retracement. Moves as big as the SPX had over the last two months don't go on forever without retracements unless they are blowoff tops (which would be catastrophic).
gougler08
AG
What news spooked the markets?
Heineken-Ashi
gougler08 said:

Why would news spook the market? Everything was insanely overheated. More likely just the beginning of profit taking on the big move up. The consensus is that nobody wanted to take profits before January because they don't want to pay that taxes this year, but there will always be early birds.
El_duderino
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
gougler08 said:

our recruiting class
gougler08
AG
Too soon
Red Pear Jack
Sponsor
I was in and out of puts but kept getting stopped. Flipped to calls and luckily stopped out before the flush.

Not a good day for me today but even though I regret selling those puts it could've been worse if I held on to those calls.
Ag CPA
AG
FOMO money from the last week probably getting worried.
agdaddy04
AG
That curve at 2:30pm was brutal for a lot of my stocks. Figured it was coming though
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
Red Pear Jack said:

I was in and out of puts but kept getting stopped. Flipped to calls and luckily stopped out before the flush.

Not a good day for me today but even though I regret selling those puts it could've been worse if I held on to those calls.

Just buy bitcoin dude!
ProgN
gougler08 said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12887169/Top-Republicans-alarmed-unnerving-report-Xi-warned-Biden-China-reunify-Taiwan-blunt-message-crunch-talks-San-Francisco.html

Quote:

Top lawmakers are expressing concern that the U.S. is projecting 'weakness' after a new report revealed Chinese President Xi Jinping told President Biden he is planning to take over Taiwan soon.

Xi expressed to Biden during last month's APEC Summit in San Francisco, California, that China would 'reunify' with Taiwan, but the timing was still not determined, according to NBC News.

The Chinese president added that his preference is that Taiwan would be taken over 'peacefully' and not by force, according to three U.S. officials.
This hit the wires and what triggered the selloff. It looks like algos activated sells on the news.
MRB10
AG
Totally! It's out performed every other asset class for 7 of the last 10 years!

Solid rec.
“There is no red.
There is no blue.
There is the state.
And there is you.”

“As government expands, Liberty contracts” - R. Reagan
Ag CPA
AG
ProgN said:

gougler08 said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12887169/Top-Republicans-alarmed-unnerving-report-Xi-warned-Biden-China-reunify-Taiwan-blunt-message-crunch-talks-San-Francisco.html

Quote:

Top lawmakers are expressing concern that the U.S. is projecting 'weakness' after a new report revealed Chinese President Xi Jinping told President Biden he is planning to take over Taiwan soon.

Xi expressed to Biden during last month's APEC Summit in San Francisco, California, that China would 'reunify' with Taiwan, but the timing was still not determined, according to NBC News.

The Chinese president added that his preference is that Taiwan would be taken over 'peacefully' and not by force, according to three U.S. officials.
This hit the wires and what triggered the selloff. It looks like algos activated sells on the news.
This hit the wires overnight.
ProgN
Ag CPA said:

ProgN said:

gougler08 said:

Quote:

Well I stand corrected, thank you.
agdaddy04
AG
For the curves to be identical like they were on many different individual stock that seems to be algo's rather than profit taking, no?
ProgN
Yes, I assumed the news about Xi telling Biden that China will reunite Taiwan was the catalyst but I can't say that it was or wasn't since the news came out last night. The selloff definitely looks like something triggered the algos.
krosch11
AG
It's not a bear market until Aggie Daniel stops by to say hello
gougler08
AG
Ag CPA said:

ProgN said:

gougler08 said:

Quote:

Either way, it's not great news
ProgN
Holy ***** Can anybody find out why $POL went ballistic today on MASSIVE volume? TIA

I'm not advocating playing with it but it could be a dangerous, but profitable daytrade (rattlesnake).
cjo03
AG
up 617% today and I am still down 95% on it...

...it's from June 2021 so likely a "net free" share from back during this thread's busy days.

ProgN
What company did it used to be?
frankm01
ProgN said:

I think it was $GOED (Godecker or some such). Something about selling appliances. Lost a few bucks in 2022 on this loser.
Bulldog73
AG
Oh crap. Don't get on their email list. I somehow got on it in 2010 and still can't get off of it. Unsubscribe, report as spam, create a filter. Doesn't matter, that crap still ends up in my inbox.
cjo03
AG
ProgN said:

no clue.

I still have a share or two from dozens of these companies. in 2021, I tried to scalp run ups with thread ideas and sell to keep one or two net free.

short-term it's been a terrible approach… but maybe one of these is the next AAPL and in 20 years will be great:

First Page Last Page
Page 6260 of 6631

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.