Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

24,169,939 Views | 232066 Replies | Last: 15 hrs ago by Heineken-Ashi
OneBlitzer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
oops wrong forum
AgCPA95
AG
$POWL

$2.17 per share versus $1.20 expectation for the quarter:

Fourth Quarter Key Highlights:
  • Revenues totaled $209 million, an increase of 28%;
  • Gross profit was $52 million, or 24.9% of revenue, an improvement of 430 basis points;
  • Net Income was $26 million, or $2.17 per diluted share, and included:
    • Unusual items resulting in a benefit of $0.22 per diluted share;
  • Net new orders totaled $171 million;
  • As of September 30, 2023, backlog was $1.3 billion, an increase of 118%;
  • Cash and short-term investments as of September 30, 2023, totaled $279 million.
Full Year Key Highlights:
  • Revenues totaled $699 million, an increase of 31%;
  • Gross profit was $148 million, or 21.1% of revenue, an improvement of 510 basis points;
  • Net Income was $54.5 million, or $4.50 per diluted share and included:
    • Unusual items throughout Fiscal 2023 with a combined benefit of $0.38 per diluted share;
  • Net new orders totaled $1.4 billion, approximately double the prior year.
ProgN
AgCPA95 said:

$POWL

$2.17 per share versus $1.20 expectation for the quarter:

Fourth Quarter Key Highlights:
  • Revenues totaled $209 million, an increase of 28%;
  • Gross profit was $52 million, or 24.9% of revenue, an improvement of 430 basis points;
  • Net Income was $26 million, or $2.17 per diluted share, and included:
    • Unusual items resulting in a benefit of $0.22 per diluted share;
  • Net new orders totaled $171 million;
  • As of September 30, 2023, backlog was $1.3 billion, an increase of 118%;
  • Cash and short-term investments as of September 30, 2023, totaled $279 million.
Full Year Key Highlights:
  • Revenues totaled $699 million, an increase of 31%;
  • Gross profit was $148 million, or 21.1% of revenue, an improvement of 510 basis points;
  • Net Income was $54.5 million, or $4.50 per diluted share and included:
    • Unusual items throughout Fiscal 2023 with a combined benefit of $0.38 per diluted share;
  • Net new orders totaled $1.4 billion, approximately double the prior year.

Powell Industries Announces Fiscal 2023 Fourth Quarter And Full Year Results | Powell Industries, Inc. (gcs-web.com)

They obliterated expectations and gave a very positive outlook. Tomorrow should be fun after their conference call in the morning. Folks that are underwhelmed by the AH movement need to remember that this is a microcap and thinly traded. It should move tomorrow when the market opens.

They doubled their backlog to 1.4 B is astounding. This was a monster earnings report.
TheVarian
AG
Is this a good long hold? I need some new blood
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Guess the real question is whether or not it supports a price per share of more than double what it was at this time last year
ProgN
TheVarian said:

That's not a yes/no answer, it's more complicated than that and I'll try to avoid a long answer.

First, I wouldn't buy it tomorrow if it spikes higher at the open. If it opens down due to profit taking, then absolutely (FTR I think it gaps higher).

If you're an investor that buys and plants it, then yes. This company's growth and demand is incredible, as evidenced by 118% in their backlog YoY. It only has 12M shares outstanding so as they grow, it probably has several stock splits in it's future. It's a microcap that pays a dividend, which is extremely rare for a growth company. Blackrock and another huge fund have large investments in it as well. They have a solid customer pipeline as well.

I'm a momentum trader and use technical analysis to choose buys and sells. However, after this report I doubt I'll trade all of it and leave some planted, especially in my son's custodial account.

Tl;dr: Yes it's a very good candidate to buy and just hold onto, just realize that with a small float that it will have wild swings.
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
ProgN said:

TheVarian said:

That's not a yes/no answer, it's more complicated than that and I'll try to avoid a long answer.

First, I wouldn't buy it tomorrow if it spikes higher at the open. If it opens down due to profit taking, then absolutely (FTR I think it gaps higher).

If you're an investor that buys and plants it, then yes. This company's growth and demand is incredible, as evidenced by 118% in their backlog YoY. It only has 12M shares outstanding so as they grow, it probably has several stock splits in it's future. It's a microcap that pays a dividend, which is extremely rare for a growth company. Blackrock and another huge fund have large investments in it as well. They have a solid customer pipeline as well.

I'm a momentum trader and use technical analysis to choose buys and sells. However, after this report I doubt I'll trade all of it and leave some planted, especially in my son's custodial account.

Tl;dr: Yes it's a very good candidate to buy and just hold onto, just realize that with a small float that it will have wild swings.
What did they say on the Earnings Call this morning?!

Down 11.5%
TheVarian
AG
Let me fall on my own sword, thank you very much
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
TheVarian said:

Let me fall on my own sword, thank you very much
At this point, I'm already $500 in the hole, might as well throw another $30 for 1 more option to hope it swings back up.

It's better spent there instead of fancy date night with the wife - just gonna take her to Whataburger instead!
fightintxag13
AG
Well I failed to get an entry before the run up in the last month, but this morning allowed me to enter at $79. I'm ready to ride with rest of you!
ProgN
Red Pear Luke (BCS) said:

ProgN said:

TheVarian said:

What did they say on the Earnings Call this morning?!

Down 11.5%
Well this morning wasn't pleasant but not worried about it. I bought a few May $100c @ $5 this morning.

Their conference call is at 10 am and I'm going to try and listen in on it. If anyone else would like to as well, the information is below:

Quote:

CONFERENCE CALL
Powell Industries has scheduled a conference call for Wednesday, December 6, 2023, at 11:00 a.m. Eastern time. To participate in the conference call, dial 1-833-953-2431 (domestic) or 1-412-317-5760 (international) at least 10 minutes before the call begins and ask for the Powell Industries conference call. A telephonic replay of the conference call will be available through December 13, 2023 and may be accessed by calling 1-877-344-7529 (domestic) or 1-412-317-0088 (international) and using passcode 4055736#.

Investors, analysts and the general public will also have the opportunity to listen to the conference call over the Internet by visiting powellind.com. To listen to the live call on the web, please visit the website at least 15 minutes before the call begins to register, download and install any necessary audio software. For those who cannot listen to the live webcast, an archive will be available shortly after the call and will remain available for approximately 90 days at powellind.com.

Powell Industries, Inc., headquartered in Houston, designs, manufactures and services custom-engineered equipment and systems for the distribution, control and monitoring of electrical energy. Powell markets include large industrial customers such as utilities, oil and gas producers, refineries, liquefied natural gas facilities, petrochemical plants, pulp and paper producers, mining operations and commuter railways. For more information, please visit powellind.com.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Welp, bought my cc back for a buck
Red Pear Jack
Sponsor
I bought some LUV on a longer term play, looks like good trend there on the daily chart.
Red Pear Jack
Sponsor
Any thoughts on XOM?

Looks pretty bearish and trend is definitely down.
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
Red Pear Jack said:

Any thoughts on XOM?

I sold out of my Exxon and PXD. Not liking the trend/forecast in Oil.

Will likely scale into TSLA and some more BITO with some and hold the cash with majority.

Edit: Will add RIG is one of my favorites right now and I will continue to watch and buy some here as it keeps dropping.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Heineken-Ashi said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

LUV
I predicted you would post this. You are inevitable.
It's looking pretty good since my re-entry below $25.
PeekingDuck
AG
Red Pear Jack said:

Any thoughts on XOM?

The Guyana noise isn't great, but hopefully nothing material happens. Other than that, XOM is in an amazing position going forward. Oil & gas will be trending up in 2024 unless Saudi dumps the market. They are also well set up for subsidy under the IRA.
sts7049
AG
Red Pear Jack said:

Any thoughts on XOM?

20B in buybacks announced...
PeekingDuck
AG
Methane rules also introduced on Saturday that will adversely impact existing production and small operators. Large guys like XOM can absorb the hit, but it will have an impact on domestic production. Dumbest rule I've ever read from any agency outside of the WOTUS rule that they failed on in the courts. The ignorance at the agency level right now is concerning.
FTAG 2000
AG
PeekingDuck said:

Methane rules also introduced on Saturday that will adversely impact existing production and small operators. Large guys like XOM can absorb the hit, but it will have an impact on domestic production. Dumbest rule I've ever read from any agency outside of the WOTUS rule that they failed on in the courts. The ignorance at the agency level right now is concerning.
it's not ignorance.

HoustonAg_2009
Prog what did you think of the conf call? I sold 1/4 of my position 2 days ago to take some profits, but plugged them right back in today at around $80.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Eyeing a SMCI re-entry...
bmoochie
AG
POWL seems to be recovering decently. Slow grind back up.
PeekingDuck
AG
Unfortunately, some of it is. Anyway, lawsuits will be flying shortly so we'll see where it lands.
EnronAg
AG
prolly dumb with the overarching oil macros, but threw some coin into RIG...charts look like it has really good support at $5.65...Saudi gonna flood the market in 3...2...1
ProgN
HoustonAg_2009 said:

Prog what did you think of the conf call? I sold 1/4 of my position 2 days ago to take some profits, but plugged them right back in today at around $80.
The call was good. IMO, the drop today was because the CEO said that they expect a normalizaton in growth rate. So they don't expect to beat YoY results by 300%. They still have strong demand and have increased capacity to meet that demand. Like it said, they have a small float so moves are vicious but there wasn't anything negative in the call. I bought the May 100c at the open today. I'm not worried about holding it.
oldarmy1
AG
ALERT!

Macro markets made an outside bar on the daily. This is a huge warning to reign in activity, be well positioned for large directional movement. The top this summer I had everyone sell out on was an outside bar. Big institutions set these wide range OB to attempt to mask their actions. Last time the OB was also a downside day bar closing near lows. Next two days pushed upward, thus setting the trap before all heck broke loose to the downside.

Doesn't mean this one results in the same, but I automatically reign in trading and act on protection of share positions. If we push upward tomorrow, I use it on any recent call entries to trim down and just wait it out.

Red Pear Jack
Sponsor
SPY closes below the 8 EMA

I do see opportunities in other stocks that have been beaten down though
MRB10
AG
Thank you. I lurk this thread specifically for this post.
“There is no red.
There is no blue.
There is the state.
And there is you.”

“As government expands, Liberty contracts” - R. Reagan
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Have you guys been playing mancinis 4555 bounces?

trip98
AG
OA1...if I follow your older teachings/videos (been to busy with work/life to jump into your new service), and I have a position in ASO that I've been selling CC's to lower total investment, now would be a good time to sell a CC. right?
IF we get pullback as the chart suggests then I have some flexibility to buy back and book profit or simply watch and see how it goes and maybe expire for 100% premium profit
IF market continues up, I need to be comfortable with being called out....OR buy buck and take a bit of a loss to keep my shares
EnronAg
AG
oldarmy1 said:

ALERT!

Macro markets made an outside bar on the daily. This is a huge warning to reign in activity, be well positioned for large directional movement. The top this summer I had everyone sell out on was an outside bar. Big institutions set these wide range OB to attempt to mask their actions. Last time the OB was also a downside day bar closing near lows. Next two days pushed upward, thus setting the trap before all heck broke loose to the downside.

Doesn't mean this one results in the same, but I automatically reign in trading and act on protection of share positions. If we push upward tomorrow, I use it on any recent call entries to trim down and just wait it out.

not disagreeing with you at all...but weren't 8/24 and 11/9 true OB days where it closed at lows? and then both of those ended up with 3-4 days of rips to the upside...am I missing something on those days?
khkman22
AG
trip98 said:

OA1...if I follow your older teachings/videos (been to busy with work/life to jump into your new service), and I have a position in ASO that I've been selling CC's to lower total investment, now would be a good time to sell a CC. right?
IF we get pullback as the chart suggests then I have some flexibility to buy back and book profit or simply watch and see how it goes and maybe expire for 100% premium profit
IF market continues up, I need to be comfortable with being called out....OR buy buck and take a bit of a loss to keep my shares
Not saying it was right or wrong, but I sold $57.50 1/19 calls on Monday. It looked like it was likely to pull back some in my opinion.
SoTXAg09
AG
EnronAg said:

oldarmy1 said:

ALERT!

not disagreeing with you at all...but weren't 8/24 and 11/9 true OB days where it closed at lows? and then both of those ended up with 3-4 days of rips to the upside...am I missing something on those days?

He did say the bolded part.
trip98
AG
khkman22 said:

trip98 said:

Not saying it was right or wrong, but I sold $57.50 1/19 calls on Monday. It looked like it was likely to pull back some in my opinion.
Ideally I try to sell at the date right before the next earnings announcement. seems like whomever controls these options opening plays games with whats available. There is stuff out in January but then nothing until April.
with that being said, I'm considering a January date.

Also, I usually sell a higher strike that if its called, I'm comfortable with. Yes, it's much less premium but I'm fine nickel and diming that as well and slowly lowering TCO. I bought in at $21.75 and down to $18.70 so not worried about trying to get high premiums to offset a high entry point.
First Page Last Page
Page 6252 of 6631

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.