Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

24,170,205 Views | 232066 Replies | Last: 16 hrs ago by Heineken-Ashi
Boy Named Sue
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anybody have thoughts on CAVA fundamentals and long-term hold prospects? My daughter is starting to dabble in stock investment with the IRA I set up for her, and she is convinced that this restaurant is going places because of the quality of the product.
techno-ag
AG
WWR near all time low at 68 cents.
Ags2013
AG
techno-ag said:

Time to load up! JkJk
cryption
Ags2013 said:

techno-ag said:

Time to load up! JkJk
Never be this low again!
TxAgLaw03RW
AG
Maybe that offer from IDR earlier this year at $1.36/share wasn't so bad after all.
BlueTaze
Anyone think LUMN can fend off a reverse split and make it to end of rate hike cycle? They are holding major high interest debt, but still have decent revenue and big physical network. Good chance they get shoved into Ch11 to fire sell their network, but IF not, could be big upside. Thoughts?
bigtoneag
AG
Wake me up when they get rid of their going concern disclosure.
AgEng06
AG
Seems relevant here...

https://instagr.am/p/CwGCD5FrgmL
Boy Named Sue
AG
SPY 441 possible if they break through 439 here? I've scaled into 439cs for last few hours
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Clown world. Jpow tells us he won't rest until we have double digit mortgages and tech can't borrow at all, and the crowd goes wild
bmoochie
AG
Money printing machine goes brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
GreasenUSA
AG
Charismatic Megafauna said:

Clown world. Jpow tells us he won't rest until we have double digit mortgages and tech can't borrow at all, and the crowd goes wild

They wouldn't give us a single day of continuation all week.
Heineken-Ashi

His hope was to talk the economy into slowing down so he can start to lower rates slowly. Not going to work. People cant stop their runaway lifestyles. Savings and cash are mostyl gone and people are operating on credit and about to slam into a brick wall. Then FED will have no choice but to lower rates but it will be too late and all it will do is create even worse inflation down the road.

Quote:

A recent survey by the financial services company Empower found that a third of households with student debt expected their monthly loan payments to be at least $1,000, and that many were preparing for "significant" lifestyle and budget changes when repayment begins. Those planned adjustments include cutting back on dining out, as well as taking on more credit card debt.
Credit Card Debt Hits New Peak as Some Borrowers Face Financial Strain - The New York Times (nytimes.com)
"H-A: In return for the flattery, can you reduce the size of your signature? It's the only part of your posts that don't add value. In its' place, just put "I'm an investing savant, and make no apologies for it", as oldarmy1 would do."
- I Bleed Maroon (distracted easily by signatures)
reineraggie09
AG
How do you recommend getting prepared? A couple days ago you discussed the cycle making an argument we are in the middle recovery phase. You stated not being prepared is a bad plan even if the big move isn't for another 7 years.

Does that mean going all cash? If so and the love doesn't happen for 7 years, the move may not even be down to our current level. Is it better to just stay mostly invested?

Currently we are preparing by paying down debt at a massive clip. Paid off our student loans last month and should be debt free including house in 14-18 months. At that point a significant reduction in our free cash flow won't be as catastrophic.

Just curious your thoughts. Appreciate and respect your input.
HoustonAg2014
AG
The main question that I "think" all should ask, is how does this affect Visa/Mastercard. That's the main question. Won't seem like it until you pull your card out and wonder who is in the hook.
Ag92NGranbury
AG
i think of the business saying... revenue is vanity, profit is sanity, and cash is king

keep revenue sources flowing... make sure that your personal balance sheet is profitable and not operating at a loss, and build that cash stash

for me... no debt unless 2% or less interest rate... maintain diversity in investments (i will not go all cash for the fear of missing out on growth or dividends)... increasing that personal P/L profitability, and building that cash stash up as much as possible (and staying short in treasury markets for interest)

i still believe that we are on the precipice of one of the best times in history for purchasing assets

disclaimer... this is not financial advice and your mileage may vary
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
Ag92NGranbury said:

i think of the business saying... revenue is vanity, profit is sanity, and cash is king

keep revenue sources flowing... make sure that your personal balance sheet is profitable and not operating at a loss, and build that cash stash

for me... no debt unless 2% or less interest rate... maintain diversity in investments (i will not go all cash for the fear of missing out on growth or dividends)... increasing that personal P/L profitability, and building that cash stash up as much as possible (and staying short in treasury markets for interest)

i still believe that we are on the precipice of one of the best times in history for purchasing assets

disclaimer... this is not financial advice and your mileage may vary
Thoughts on rolling some cash of the emergency fund into a rolling 1YR CD ladder?

Current HYSA is pushing 4.25% but I can get a 3-month CD at 5.30% and a 1 OR 2YR CD at 5.50%.

My thoughts are this - take the cash and divide it into 4 parts:

• 1st Part - buy into a 3-month CD at 5.30%, then wait 3 months.
  • Roll the 1st part into a new 6 month CD, take 2nd part and buy into a new 3 month CD, then wait 3 more months.
  • Roll the 2nd part at expiry into a new 9 month CD, take the 3rd part and buy into a new 3 month CD, then wait 3 more months
  • Roll the 3rd into part as it expires in 3 months into a new 1YR CD and then roll the 4th part into new 3 month CD.

I think the goal here is to just arbitrage the yield deltas between a HYSA and the current CD rates. I am not convinced that rates will drop any time soon until 2nd half of next year. But it gives me the rolling ability to take liquidity and preserve or buy into more long term holds. Please note this is in addition to monthly VTI purchases as well.
reineraggie09
AG
Thanks Granbury. I took a few profits this past week. I'm not a day trader. No way I could with my job. More of an investor. Reduced my TQQQ by 50% this week. Made 100% return since October. May trim down a few other positions and build a little cash in the investment accounts.

I started my own business last fall. Trying to simultaneously fix my personal and business balance sheets starting with non-asset backed liabilities. Once those are done, start attacking asset backed liabilities like equipment
Heineken-Ashi
reineraggie09 said:

How do you recommend getting prepared? A couple days ago you discussed the cycle making an argument we are in the middle recovery phase. You stated not being prepared is a bad plan even if the big move isn't for another 7 years.

Does that mean going all cash? If so and the love doesn't happen for 7 years, the move may not even be down to our current level. Is it better to just stay mostly invested?

Currently we are preparing by paying down debt at a massive clip. Paid off our student loans last month and should be debt free including house in 14-18 months. At that point a significant reduction in our free cash flow won't be as catastrophic.

Just curious your thoughts. Appreciate and respect your input.

I think you are smart to pay off debt so long as you aren't paying off notes secured at historically low rates with low leverage.

You absolutely should be invested. But the days of dollar cost averaging blindly should be over. You have to be targeted with your money. Every single trade-able asset operates on its timeline, with its own fundamentals, it's own technicals, and largely independent of outside forces barring major market events. But as we saw in 2022, there isn't much hiding space when an event happens. And you won't know it's coming. And you won't know how long it will take. You will try to re-engage at multiple bottoms only to find that wasn't the bottom.

And you absolutely cannot assume the decade of historically low rates and free easy money will be repeated. What happened prior to COVID happened. It might happen again. But just throwing money in SPY and ignoring it while assuming it will be worth more in 10 years than the amount the dollar has lost is foolish.

You should divide your investment cash into six segments. When income is earned and excess cash is generated, the cash should be regularly divided between the segments and should be consistently spent based on the plan for the segment and the allocation you pre-decide.

1. This is your **** hits the fan money. You do not care what happens to this money in relation to the dollar value of it. This should be spent specifically on hard assets meant as a true hedge against catastrophic events. Physical metals is pretty much the guideline here. This should be a small portion of your monthly investible cash. Again, the value of this segment doesn't matter. The dollars should be considered sunk. This is an insurance policy for a situation you don't want to have to think is possible - the dollar being destroyed. If you are 80 and it hasn't happened, RE-convert to cash and buy some Heinekens, cocaine, and hookers.

2. This is your hedge, similar to the above, but in an event where the dollar still remains. Physical metals can be in this segment, but you can also add gold and silver stocks, Bitcoin, and inflation resistant commodities. This is your recession segment. While your speculative investments will be decreasing, this will be stable or increasing in 2008 type of event.

3. Fixed income. This is moving into the productive side of investments. Bonds are a great place. You're not trying to beat the S&P or make bank. You're just guaranteeing that you will have something providing a steady income at all times.

4. Low risk equities. This is one step above segment 3, but still a risk adverse segment. You should be aiming for high performing, low volatility stocks that return a consistent dividend. They aren't as safe as bonds, but can be far more lucrative. This step starts to require more active management. Even great stocks can get hit with the down bug for extended periods of time (cough Disney cough Tesla).

5. Alternative investments. This is where you invest in syndicated real estate deals, business startups, patents, you name it. Your money will likely be untouchable until the sponsor decides to return it, but it can be very lucrative. High risk high reward. And well rounded while not tied completely to the stock market.

6. The final segment. This is for this thread. Highly speculative high risk stock market equities, options, and futures. This is your betting money. Now that you have safely invested your money into a well diversified range of vehicles, you can safely play around. If you lose every penny of this, you should no longer be worried because you were smart with the rest.

How does this look in practice? It's harder to start than maintain.

Say you generate $1,000 of excess cash per month. Here's how you might divide it.

Segment 1 - 10%
Segment 2 - 10%
Segment 3 - 25%
Segment 4 - 25%
Segment 5 - 20%
Segment 6 - 10%

If you don't have enough up front to effectively afford what the segment is designed for, say buying physical gold, then wait until that segment does have enough. For segment 5, it might take you a while to have $25k-$100k to invest in a big deal. That's ok. Plan out how long it will likely take and invest that segment into segment 3 matching the duration until it's hit the threshold.

Returns from each segment should be RE-invested in their own segment based on your own tax threshold. Segment 6 returns should be allocated to the other segments the same way excess cash from primary income source is. Segment 5 can also be re-allocated to the other segments, but might consist of significant capital gains so might be wise to reinvest with segment 5.

The real kicker is, you can't half ass this. It's a life change. You have to commit and stay committed. Each segment represents and risk and return threshold necessary to survive long term no matter what is thrown at you. It is not get rich quick and it cannot survive throwing caution to the wind and suspending the plan for one year. If you have a financial advisor and aren't comfortable self managing all of this, make sure they know the plan and stick to it.

Lastly, I'm by no means saying this is how you have to operate. You asked how to be prepared. You asked if you should be invested waiting for something we can't predict. This is how.
"H-A: In return for the flattery, can you reduce the size of your signature? It's the only part of your posts that don't add value. In its' place, just put "I'm an investing savant, and make no apologies for it", as oldarmy1 would do."
HoustonAg2014
AG
I would recommend buying shares of ASO and selling $50 calls 3 weeks out @ 6.5% return. Then the rest of the year is gravy.
Brewmaster
AG
legendary post sir, thank you for typing all this!

am I crazy for wanting to put 50% into #2 now? Silver in particular looks primed for a big move.
reineraggie09
AG
Thank you sir! This is why I TexAgs. Good people
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Is silver primed for a run or gold primed for a drop? I've had this theory that btc (and crypto in general) have knocked the historic pm proportions out of whack by taking market share from gold. So maybe it's time for a btc or eth run, and gold drops back to 50x silver without silver running?
fightintxag13
AG
I'm liking what I see on SPY on the daily chart if we can close above 443, but I really like it if we close above 443.25. We've regained the 50 dma, and if we close above 443.25, we'll close above the 21 dma.

MACD looks like it wants to cross positively. 8 dma positively crossing the 50 dma and wouldn't be far from the 21 dma if we get a good close today.

We'll see what the rest of the day holds.
Heineken-Ashi

Is silver primed for a run or gold primed for a drop? I've had this theory that btc (and crypto in general) have knocked the historic pm proportions out of whack by taking market share from gold. So maybe it's time for a btc or eth run, and gold drops back to 50x silver without silver running?
Have you taken into account the supply of gold and silver? How much is being mined? Correlation between supply and price?

I think it is logical to assume that BTC, the instrument dubbed as "virtual" gold, has taken some of the market share of precious metals, especially in the younger demographic who would likely have hedged using gold and silver had BTC not been a thing.

But what is the reality? It's far more complicated. Gold and silver have a historical reaction to many things, primarily their own supply (both in rotation and new supply) and demand, but also the value of the dollar, value of other currencies, and geopolitics. And regarding the supply of silver, a good amount of it is lost every year to scrapyards. It's extremely hard to "mine and add into rotation" more than is lost, but we don't really even know how much is lost and "out of rotation".

And how is BTC going to react in a recession? We don't have enough data points yet in its young life to truly feel confident that it is digital gold. It's also not even a fair comparison. We know how much total BTC can ever be mined. We don't know how much gold can be mined. So there's a supply related deflation component to gold that won't be a component of BTC in short order. That alone makes BTC very compelling.

You could study this for hours and still not have answers on any of these things. Just a lot of hot air, opinions, and prideful commentary. You end up picking and choosing what you want to believe. At the end of the day, gold and silver have a LONG track record, predating modern charting and stock market trends, as being a stable store of value throughout the life cycle of entire civilizations. That is why it's primary purpose should be as a hedge against the entire system we live in. And there's reason to believe BTC will perform the same way, though the lack of history and track record does provide a risk factor. On the other hand, if your goal is to make money off the rising or decreasing value of metals OR BTC in relation to the dollar, then you have to treat them like any other tradeable asset and assume the risks that you would with any other investment vehicle.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
SOXL breaking through resistance.
EnronAg
AG
has essentially bounced off your $443.25 call 3 times today...me thinks if it gets back up there, it won't be 4
Brewmaster
AG

a metals trader I follow is convinced that silver is about to run and more so than gold. GSR is one metric, gold to silver ratio. He also thinks central banks have been quietly loading silver.

Also keep in mind USD is backed by air. Meanwhile many countries have now switched to gold backed currency. Heck even Russia is stockpiling gold. Meanwhile we just print more fiat currency and hope for better. We'll see how that works out.

take those fwiw. Silver even more so than gold, sideways until it goes nuts! Silver is also vital in solar cell tech.
techno-ag
AG
Brewmaster said:

a metals trader I follow is convinced that silver is about to run and more so than gold. GSR is one metric, gold to silver ratio. He also thinks central banks have been quietly loading silver.

Also keep in mind USD is backed by air. Meanwhile many countries have now switched to gold backed currency. Heck even Russia is stockpiling gold. Meanwhile we just print more fiat currency and hope for better. We'll see how that works out.

take those fwiw. Silver even more so than gold, sideways until it goes nuts! Silver is also vital in solar cell tech.
Seems like there's always about to be a run on silver. May as well get a little to sell during the "inevitable" boom.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
EnronAg said:

has essentially bounced off your $443.25 call 3 times today...me thinks if it gets back up there, it won't be 4

Nice call dude, rode a couple xsp calls from .45 to 1.33 on this one!
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
Silver is way too cheap. I have thought it would move lots of times. Maybe this time is different.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
AMC hasn't touched this level since before 2014. (The max period shown on yahoo.)
GreasenUSA
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

AMC hasn't touched this level since before 2014. (The max period shown on yahoo.)
Must not be showing split adjusted data. AMC hit this spot 3 times in 2020 and once more at the beginning of 2021. It's probably due a bounce from here, but it's done after that. Look for the bounce soon, and then short when it breaks back below.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Weird, I thought yahoo did adjust for reverse splits. That seems more reasonable though.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
MS downgrades crwd 3 days before earnings. Hmmm...
First Page Last Page
Page 6211 of 6631

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.