Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

23,974,312 Views | 231555 Replies | Last: 9 hrs ago by Heineken-Ashi
RightWingConspirator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What's the story on TTD? I own 80 shares right now. What's the news?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
AMZN and AAPL (EPS) beat.

Let's see if we can turn this thing around.
E
AG
Stocks normally tank after they beat right?

looking at you APPL....
GreasenUSA
AG
With AAPL ****ting the bed on sales, maybe we finally get some continuation to the downside and touch the 50 in the coming days.
frankm01
Nothing special that I know of on TTD. I was just commenting that Prog brought it to this board many months ago with some conviction. I then researched it myself, bought some as a long term hold and am very glad I did.
ProgN
frankm01 said:

Nothing special that I know of on TTD. I was just commenting that Prog brought it to this board many months ago with some conviction. I then researched it myself, bought some as a long term hold and am very glad I did.
If we have a good correction this qtr, buy SMCI and I'll post 2 more later tonight.
RightWingConspirator
AG
I've been holding TTD now for the last three years, but I was pretty far down on the shares I added subsequent to my original position. I'm within striking distance of breaking even. Need about 5 more points.
ProgN
Look at the candles AH right now on PLTR.
agdaddy04
AG
I've got a lot of shares at $50/share. I was thinking about trimming at $91, but decided not to.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
I missed W. womp womp
You don’t trade for money, you trade for freedom.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
GreasenUSA said:

With AAPL ****ting the bed on sales, maybe we finally get some continuation to the downside and touch the 50 in the coming days.
maybe even as soon as tomorrow.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
AgPT06 said:

Yuck on CWH this morning. My cost average is <$10 from selling covered calls repeatedly but was wondering when they would finally have a earnings day. Cut dividend from .625 to .125
I was not impressed.
techno-ag
AG
Ccutamu said:

Wow!

$100/bbl around the corner?
ProgN
cptthunder said:

ProgN said:

I will. I'm pissed I didn't think of this sooner because I was well aware of shortages industry wide.

That said,

Who all in here are in the petroleum industry or electrical industry because I want to pick your brains?

What part of the petroleum industry you talking?
Good evening family,

Many of you know that my former boss asked me to comeback to be his project manager for phase 2 of same complex that I was the project manager for 7 years ago. Anyone in construction can attest to the fact that it's about a 2 year delay for meter packs and large disconnects for apartments, hotels, etc. This is happening nationwide, not just in Texas. The owner of the electrical company doing my project said that a project in San Antonio can't even get transformers for 2 years. The following 2 stocks are in the manufacturing arena and the first one popped up on screen this week. I asked if anyone in petroleum, electrical and construction are familiar with them to please share their views and knowledge because I don't know enough of about them. I can provide a broker's opinion, but not real world verification.

The first is: Powell Industries
Symbol: POWL

They reported earnings 2 days ago and absolutely destroyed Wall Street's estimates.
Quote:

Powell Industries Shares Jump After Profit Doubles >POWL
9:51 am ET August 2, 2023 (Dow Jones) Print

By Colin Kellaher

Powell Industries shares surged sharply in early trading Wednesday after the maker of products and systems for the distribution, control and monitoring of electrical energy posted strong quarterly results.

Shares of the Houston company were recently changing hands at $80.44, up 31%.

After the closing bell on Tuesday, Powell said its net income for the fiscal third quarter ended June 30 more than doubled to $18.5 million, or $1.52 a share, from $9.1 million, or 76 cents a share, a year earlier.

The company also said revenue jumped 42% to $192.4 million, while its backlog nearly tripled to $1.3 billion.

This is a Houston based company and they do a lot of work for the petroleum industry, that's why I asked for anyone in O&G familiar with them to opine.

TL;DR, I like this company because I'm not concerned about them missing earnings and fundamentals give confidence. They're a small corporation with only 11.9 M float and also pay a small dividend, which tells me they make a lot of money and is a rarity for small cap company. I'm not buying it here, but when the macros do correct and it fills that huge gap from 2 days ago, then I'm buying and planting it in the accounts I control. Pull up a chart on it. I'd like others to give their opinions on it, because I don't like recommending stocks, especially small caps, that I have limited knowledge of. TIA

The second is: Eaton Corporation
Symbol: ETN

They're a larger corporation, 400 M shr float, that manufacture a lot of things and they also have a strong backlog, and earnings. The meter packs and disconnects for my project were originally scheduled to have arrived 7 months ago, but I received my first one last week for just one building. My project would've been completed at the beginning of next month but now it's looking like it will be February 2024. I can't wait to be temporarily let go until he decides to build the next complex. I'll take my initial position around $190 and even more at $170 should it fill that gap in a correction.

IMO, these are two strong, safe plays that can also provide excellent stock appreciation for folks that may want some diversification if they're too tech heavy.

I'd like y'alls opinions and suggestions of any other similar electrical equipment manufactures (large transformers, etc) that I can research.

TIA

FJ43
ProgN said:

cptthunder said:

ProgN said:

I will. I'm pissed I didn't think of this sooner because I was well aware of shortages industry wide.

That said,

Who all in here are in the petroleum industry or electrical industry because I want to pick your brains?

Good evening family,

Many of you know that my former boss asked me to comeback to be his project manager for phase 2 of same complex that I was the project manager for 7 years ago. Anyone in construction can attest to the fact that it's about a 2 year delay for meter packs and large disconnects for apartments, hotels, etc. This is happening nationwide, not just in Texas. The owner of the electrical company doing my project said that a project in San Antonio can't even get transformers for 2 years. The following 2 stocks are in the manufacturing arena and the first one popped up on screen this week. I asked if anyone in petroleum, electrical and construction are familiar with them to please share their views and knowledge because I don't know enough of about them. I can provide a broker's opinion, but not real world verification.

They reported earnings 2 days ago and absolutely destroyed Wall Street's estimates.
Quote:

By Colin Kellaher

Powell Industries shares surged sharply in early trading Wednesday after the maker of products and systems for the distribution, control and monitoring of electrical energy posted strong quarterly results.

After the closing bell on Tuesday, Powell said its net income for the fiscal third quarter ended June 30 more than doubled to $18.5 million, or $1.52 a share, from $9.1 million, or 76 cents a share, a year earlier.

The company also said revenue jumped 42% to $192.4 million, while its backlog nearly tripled to $1.3 billion.

This is a Houston based company and they do a lot of work for the petroleum industry, that's why I asked for anyone in O&G familiar with them to opine.

TL;DR, I like this company because I'm not concerned about them missing earnings and fundamentals give confidence. They're a small corporation with only 11.9 M float and also pay a small dividend, which tells me they make a lot of money and is a rarity for small cap company. I'm not buying it here, but when the macros do correct and it fills that huge gap from 2 days ago, then I'm buying and planting it in the accounts I control. Pull up a chart on it. I'd like others to give their opinions on it, because I don't like recommending stocks, especially small caps, that I have limited knowledge of. TIA

They're a larger corporation, 400 M shr float, that manufacture a lot of things and they also have a strong backlog, and earnings. The meter packs and disconnects for my project were originally scheduled to have arrived 7 months ago, but I received my first one last week for just one building. My project would've been completed at the beginning of next month but now it's looking like it will be February 2024. I can't wait to be temporarily let go until he decides to build the next complex. I'll take my initial position around $190 and even more at $170 should it fill that gap in a correction.

IMO, these are two strong, safe plays that can also provide excellent stock appreciation for folks that may want some diversification if they're too tech heavy.

I'd like y'alls opinions and suggestions of any other similar electrical equipment manufactures (large transformers, etc) that I can research.

TIA

Ya know you're supposed to tell us BEFORE a 50% gain in day right?
Wealth gained hastily will dwindle. but whoever gathers little by little will increase it.
Proverbs 13:11

ProgN
That's what triggered it on my screen, so I had to find out what the hell they did. The more I looked at it, the more I like it.
FJ43
ProgN said:

That's what triggered it on my screen, so I had to find out what the hell they did. The more I looked at it, the more I like it.

It's ok. I still love you….
Wealth gained hastily will dwindle. but whoever gathers little by little will increase it.
Proverbs 13:11

ProgN
Ragoo
AG
Hard pass on Eaton
emac0002
AG
ProgN said:

cptthunder said:

ProgN said:

That said,

Good evening family,

Quote:

By Colin Kellaher

TIA

I'm an MEP engineer so I really know what you are going thru. It's been crazy the past two years with transformer, gear, panels, etc.

I have heard of Powell before but don't use them. We use Eaton a lot, they are well diversified. I don't know much about looking at charts but trying to learn.
ProgN
Thank you for replying. The wait times are delaying projects, subdivisions, etc. nationwide.

You'll learn a lot about charts by following this thread.
emac0002
AG
Others we use

ABB
Square D
Powersmiths
PQI
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
GreasenUSA said:

I'm reading her book, Trading Sardines, currently. Very entertaining so far.

I tend to listen when she makes statements like this. That said, the bears have generally been no match for the bulls this year, so I'll believe it when I see it.

Did you pay $100 for that? I love books but I'm not sure I'm paying $100 for that book.
Mostly Foggy Recollection
Powell is my second largest customer. Eaton is my largest vendor.

I won't state anything publicly, but I will privately. Too many know me, personally, on here to make a post about these two.
GreasenUSA
AG
$30,000 Millionaire said:

GreasenUSA said:

maybe even as soon as tomorrow.
I should have specified that I meant the Nasdaq/QQQ 50 day. AAPL looks like it may open below its own 50 day this morning.
GreasenUSA
AG
Charismatic Megafauna said:

GreasenUSA said:

I'm reading her book, Trading Sardines, currently. Very entertaining so far.

I tend to listen when she makes statements like this. That said, the bears have generally been no match for the bulls this year, so I'll believe it when I see it.

Did you pay $100 for that? I love books but I'm not sure I'm paying $100 for that book.

Wow, just looked up the price to see you are correct on the retailers.

You can order it from her website for $40. https://lindaraschke.net/trading-sardines/
And the first chapter for free.

Charismatic Megafauna
AG
I'll pay $40! Thanks!
Talon2DSO
AG
Fubo is going to the moon!!
Ccutamu
Talon2DSO said:

Fubo is going to the moon!!
I need it to go to Neptune!

Signed,

bagholder
CC09LawAg
This may be buried somewhere in this thread, apologies if it is. And if it's more appropriate for a new thread I'll start one.

But does anyone have any good resources or recommendations on what to do when trying to evaluate a stock/company?

There is a lot of noise and I think it would help me if there was a book or list that says "start with these 10 things if you're brand new".
GreasenUSA
AG
CC09LawAg said:

But does anyone have any good resources or recommendations on what to do when trying to evaluate a stock/company?
For technical analysis, a lot of folks here like the Jobman book linked in the first post.

It sounds like you may want fundamental analysis, though, which I find yucky outside of macro events. I'm sure someone here can chime in on a good fundamental book.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

AMZN gonna halt the dip or nah?
Thank you Bezos
ProgN
SMCI you ain't got no alibi
you sexy, uh, uh, you sexy
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
CC09LawAg said:

This may be buried somewhere in this thread, apologies if it is. And if it's more appropriate for a new thread I'll start one.

There is a lot of noise and I think it would help me if there was a book or list that says "start with these 10 things if you're brand new".
This is what I first used to learn the basics back when I got into investing. Not sure of your skill level, but I always prefer videos or podcasts that I can put on in the background while I'm doing my day job.

https://www.theinvestorspodcast.com/warren-buffett-investment-strategy/

Charismatic Megafauna
AG
https://www.investor.gov/introduction-investing/getting-started/researching-investments/how-read-10-k

I'm far too lazy for fundamentals though
First Page Last Page
Page 6198 of 6616

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.