Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

23,983,308 Views | 231558 Replies | Last: 1 min ago by ProgN
Boy Named Sue
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
There she went. Y'all were right
Saltyag15
AG
I'm guessing I'm quite a bit below the average on this thread in terms of age and 401k size, so this may not carry much weight, but I've never touched mine.
FJ43
Watching 414.54 on XOM for support bounce. Still in darvas box.
Bird Poo
AG
FTAG 2000 said:

Do y'all cash out your 401k positions ahead of things like go away in May? Or keep and average down?

My 401K allows changes only every 6 months. Be careful with that stuff.
Philip J Fry
AG
Next up 4020.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
Watch 4080
You don’t trade for money, you trade for freedom.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
Never touch your 401ks.
Philip J Fry
AG
FTAG 2000 said:

Do y'all cash out your 401k positions ahead of things like go away in May? Or keep and average down?

I was a set it and forget guy until I was down 40%. Then I started taking a much more active role. I've clawed myself back up to -7% since my peak.

When it comes to these critical decision points, I'm mostly bearish until the fed pivots. Until then, I reduce my exposure, but not totally cash out.
ProgN
FTAG 2000 said:

FTAG 2000
AG
Sorry, that was poorly worded. Not true cashing out, but selling out of positions into the money market holding.
topher06
I did that during COVID and got in trouble for churning or something. Didn't make a huge difference, but probably spared myself from a 3% or so of the drop which I think is sort of material in the long run.

Have to admit, it is frustrating as hell to look at the last 2 year chart and see it staying flat despite additional contributions being made the entire time. Particularly knowing it has actually been rocked by inflation as well during that time. Thanks economy and whoever you want to blame it on.
Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX
- The OPEC-announcement-of-May-cut WTI gap filled. Technically, oil upside is ready.
- Since banks are connected at the hip to oil somehow....First Republic....is creating some downward pressure.. (You figure this connection of "banks & oil" out, let me know)
- HES ER out this morning was a beat. Lookin' good! HES and XOM are partners in Guyana, and if it's going good for HES - I know it's going good for XOM. HES is a smaller partner of that project.
- EIA numbers breaking now. Draw on the Big 3. Oil traders may wait for driving season to reverse, but it doesn't matter. We have drawn now for 5 weeks when US should have been building going into driving season. The draw announced today is big and they get bigger each week. Ahhhh,...it's a little late to worry when you see the bottom of the barrel..
- It's not pretty right today, but it will pay
- Getting a late start this morning, sciatic nerve problem, won't let me move like I want to, healing slow. Have a good day.
Talon2DSO
AG
I took a loan on my 401k. I have to pay it back at 9% but that's better than what the market will bring me. So it's like I'm adding more to it as I pay it back and I'm using the loan to build a new deck since ours is falling apart. Hopefully as I repay the loan, my cost basis will drop
topher06
Surprised there isn't more premium on Amazon calls for 4/28. 106C for $3.2
South Platte
FTAG 2000 said:

For retirement funds I'm contributing to I continue buying every month and keep it invested in typical s&P 500 stuff. But for funds I'm not contributing to, I moved out of equity in November 2021 and avoided this drop. Still in money market getting 4.5% but will start DCA later this year if things stabilize.
topher06
Is the interest portion of the contribution back to the 401k tax deductible? If not, is it also taxed when you withdraw during retirement? I assume the contribution of the principal back to the 401k must not be tax deductible, but don't know about interest.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
4080 was good. Hope you caught.
Boy Named Sue
AG
$30,000 Millionaire said:

4080 was good. Hope you caught.
I bought SPY 409Cs when your indicator went off on the 8/21 cross. Up 36% rn

General finance question about SPY. How much does the trading of it impact the price, as opposed to the impact caused by the value of the underlying stocks the fund holds? I guess I just don't understand the interplay between the two. Sorry if that's a stupid question, but I'm sure y'all are accustomed to it by now
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
They are constantly reindexing, but SPY is incredibly liquid and does not move far from futures or CBOE SPX value.
FJ43
Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX said:

- The OPEC-announcement-of-May-cut WTI gap filled. Technically, oil upside is ready.
- Since banks are connected at the hip to oil somehow....First Republic....is creating some downward pressure.. (You figure this connection of "banks & oil" out, let me know)
- HES ER out this morning was a beat. Lookin' good! HES and XOM are partners in Guyana, and if it's going good for HES - I know it's going good for XOM. HES is a smaller partner of that project.
- EIA numbers breaking now. Draw on the Big 3. Oil traders may wait for driving season to reverse, but it doesn't matter. We have drawn now for 5 weeks when US should have been building going into driving season. The draw announced today is big and they get bigger each week. Ahhhh,...it's a little late to worry when you see the bottom of the barrel..
- Getting a late start this morning, sciatic nerve problem, won't let me move like I want to, healing slow. Have a good day.

Bought the dip today and added to my position. Up 24% now. Hooooooolllllld !!!
FTAG 2000
AG
FJ43 said:

Bought the dip today and added to my position. Up 24% now. Hooooooolllllld !!!
What options you in for XOM?
Towns03
AG
What's up with OXY? why have they been on a down trend for the last week+?
wanderer
June 125c
Way to go! .... Gotta buy the dip if you wanna sell the rip!
Keep an eye on VLO tomorrow as they ER.
FJ43
June 125C
FTAG 2000
AG
Thanks, missed that. In those as well. Party on.
Boy Named Sue
AG

Any predictions?
Boy Named Sue
AG
Disney files suit against DeSantis: https://finance.yahoo.com/news/disney-files-lawsuit-against-ron-desantis-alleging-targeted-campaign-of-government-retaliation-163236043.html

Can't wait to see Trump tacitly back Disney here lol
FTAG 2000
AG
Boy Named Sue said:

Disney files suit against DeSantis: https://finance.yahoo.com/news/disney-files-lawsuit-against-ron-desantis-alleging-targeted-campaign-of-government-retaliation-163236043.html

So Disney didn't follow the law in that board appointment attempted runaround, got called on it, and now is pouting in California federal court.

Clowns.
DeangeloVickers
AG
FTAG 2000 said:

Boy Named Sue said:

So Disney didn't follow the law in that board appointment attempted runaround, got called on it, and now is pouting in California federal court.

Clowns.

FTAG 2000
Boy Named Sue
AG
Oh dang I didn't even pick up on the fact they filed in California. Tell me you're forum shopping because your case sucks, without telling me...

Think SPY bounces here? RSI at 30 and support at 406-ish

Edit: that article says they filed in Florida
FTAG 2000
AG
Ah yeah they edited it, it said California at first.
Boy Named Sue said:

Any predictions?
- They're down like15% over last month.
- As a refiner they are best in class, or top 3, I'd say.
- The crack spreads say this outfit should be knocking it out of the park, daily since 2023 began.
- So,...the question is, what do "they" know that we don't to keep VLO in a downtrend? - OR - what the heck are they doing at VLO to deserve this market treatment?

I don't have any predictions. It's weird. Outside of saying to "watch it" I cant give more feedback in good faith.
First Page Last Page
Page 6085 of 6616

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.