Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

24,033,051 Views | 231624 Replies | Last: 21 min ago by Happygilmore20
Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX
How long do you want to ignore this user?
XOM,...one ten before month end.
cjo03
AG
Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX said:

i liked the "test the $110-112" by friday prediction better
cjo03 said:

Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX said:

i liked the "test the $110-112" by friday prediction better
Oh! I still think that test will happen for the $110-$112 by Friday. I think XOM will finish at $110 at year end/month end - that would be strong. The 8-K will be out in a couple weeks and Q4 may not top Q3, but it will be a record Q4. And the Q4 from 21 that will be replaced will only substantiate a higher share price in 2023 based on PE. Don't remember which bank or analyst, but this week they cut XOM from $131 to $127. It will not surprise me to see $120 by the time we head to Q4 earnings report.

ETA: Sorry for the confusion. I was not clear at all.
Tomorrow, December 22nd, Putin is to give a formal response to the G7 Price Caps, according to Russian media and their Gov't Press Office.
FJ43
Well done brother. Solid and really happy to see this.
Wealth gained hastily will dwindle. but whoever gathers little by little will increase it.
Proverbs 13:11

Philip J Fry
AG
Boy Named Sue said:

What app is that you're using?

It's a custom built MATLab script that grabs the EOD data for all equities of the major American indexes. From there, I calculate 5ema, 10ema, and 120ema. I also calculate RSI, MACD, and volatility. From here, it's just a matter of attempting to filter down to a handful of stocks to watch for the week.

My strategy early on was to only buy stocks whose price was above its 120ema, but as the market crashed, I'd find weeks where there were no good stocks to buy. That's mostly when I got myself in trouble and offered a pretty quick reminder that cash is a position.

I looked for stocks whose pattern suggested a 20% gain. Mostly stocks at the lower end of the channel. I would buy at the channel and set a tight stop loss. As the price went up, I forced myself to exit at my target price and not look back. Stringing singles together instead of 10 baggers with a bunch of losers really adds up. I just wish I was as proactive with my 401K as I was my brokerage account.
jimmo
Philip J Fry said:

Boy Named Sue said:

It's a custom built MATLab script that grabs the EOD data for all equities of the major American indexes. From there, I calculate 5ema, 10ema, and 120ema. I also calculate RSI, MACD, and volatility. From here, it's just a matter of attempting to filter down to a handful of stocks to watch for the week.

My strategy early on was to only buy stocks whose price was above its 120ema, but as the market crashed, I'd find weeks where there were no good stocks to buy. That's mostly when I got myself in trouble and offered a pretty quick reminder that cash is a position.

I looked for stocks whose pattern suggested a 20% gain. Mostly stocks at the lower end of the channel. I would buy at the channel and set a tight stop loss. As the price went up, I forced myself to exit at my target price and not look back. Stringing singles together instead of 10 baggers with a bunch of losers really adds up. I just wish I was as proactive with my 401K as I was my brokerage account.
thanks Philip!
Well done sir
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
I can't help but want to fade people. Probably a bad habit.

I am not saying it will rally, but there are gonna be a lot of fresh shorts that lose their asses in short order when this short squeezes.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/im-a-tesla-investor-elon-musk-is-a-danger-to-the-company

You don’t trade for money, you trade for freedom.
FTAG 2000
AG
Philip J Fry said:

Boy Named Sue said:

How did you factor in the RSI and MACD into your assessment?
FJ43
bmoochie said:

FJ43 said:

FWIW if we get a good dead cat bounce in the next week into the 390 range I will go short out to Jan or maybe even Feb monthly expiry.
FJ,

We aren't there yet but assuming we get to $390 in the next day or so, are you looking at it as a model T play for retracement back down? Assuming it doesn't venture much higher than $390, that put it roughly around $384. Just curious on your thoughts.

Sorry for the delay. Long day today.

If you use recent high 12/13 and low 12/20 MT is at the white SR just above the arrow. 393.25ish. I had an hourly SR there for scalping within cents of that already. Changed it to be MT. At the yellow arrow is the 50EMA and a major SR in the 388.60s where I think we get some traffic. That's top of the gap box to fill also.

My exit was into 385 and take the money. Given close to top of box and 50 just above safe, solid, green trade.

Will we keep running into MT very possible. But has to break the 50, top of box and multiple EMAs before decay kicks in and can't have chop by Friday. I could see sideways action also. Want to see 390-91.78 before I go short with any size.

Traders market in a bear trend until its not.

Wealth gained hastily will dwindle. but whoever gathers little by little will increase it.

FJ43
Aren't you on vacation bro?

Philip J Fry
AG
I looked for stocks that had been below 30 RSI within a given number of days…usually 3-5, and has an increasingly bullish crossover, but still negative on the histograph.. Add in a minimum volume requirement.

From here I would have a list of stocks to sort through and I would just have plot each one to find a good one to watch. Most the ones with extremely low RSI were dogs that had huge gaps down because of bad news.

Another indicator I came up with was #days positive vs SPX. I tended to try to choose stocks that had a history of winning or showed that they tended to bounce off the 120ema.

I'll say the stock that frustrated me the most was STNG. No idea how I missed that one. If only I could write a script that would find stocks about to quadruple in value…
FJ43
Philip J Fry said:

I looked for stocks that had been below 30 RSI within a given number of days…usually 3-5, and has an increasingly bullish crossover, but still negative on the histograph.. Add in a minimum volume requirement.

From here I would have a list of stocks to sort through and I would just have plot each one to find a good one to watch. Most the ones with extremely low RSI were dogs that had huge gaps down because of bad news.

Another indicator I came up with was #days positive vs SPX. I tended to try to choose stocks that had a history of winning or showed that they tended to bounce off the 120ema.

I'll say the stock that frustrated me the most was STNG. No idea how I missed that one. If only I could write a script that would find stocks about to quadruple in value…
Scripts are meant to be shared….just sayin

wanderer
Just seeing the word 'Matlab' gives me bad memories from freshman year ENGR101.
BaylorSpineGuy
Philip J Fry said:

If only I could write a script that would find stocks about to quadruple in value…

Fade me to make real money…
irish pete ag06
AG
$30,000 Millionaire said:

I can't help but want to fade people. Probably a bad habit.

I am not saying it will rally, but there are gonna be a lot of fresh shorts that lose their asses in short order when this short squeezes.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/im-a-tesla-investor-elon-musk-is-a-danger-to-the-company

$30,000 Millionaire
AG
There is only so much sitting by the pool a guy can take.
Boy Named Sue
AG
Philip- where'd you pull your data from?
GreasenUSA
AG
Great job Philip!

How would you like to gross an extra $1.99 via the Google Play store?

Philip J Fry
AG
I use eodhistoricaldata.com. For 20 dollars a month, I'd say it's paid for itself. My code looks like:

Quote:

for k = 1:numstocks
stocks=char(stocktickers{1}(k,1));
number_per_minute=number_per_minute+1;
if number_per_minute==1000
pause(30);
number_per_minute=0;
end

stock=sprintf('curl -o %s.csv "https://eodhistoricaldata.com/api/eod/%s.US?from=2021-10-12&to=2022-12-21&period=d&api_token=XXXX"', stocks,stocks)

system(stock);
end

That said, I've been using tradingview more lately. My code takes about an hour to download the entire market because I'm a cheap skate and am limited with how many API calls per minute I can run, so I usually only do the full download on the weekends. I would supplement the data with

https://www.eoddata.com/

which only gives you the EOD data for the current day. I have another more complicated code that parses the data together. I found that the reporting agencies aren't all consistent with some of the ticker symbols and needed a way to get around it. From here, I run my filter tool. It's around 600 lines of code and hardly by best work. Maybe over the break I'll have time to spruce it up a bit.

Philip J Fry
AG
I need to just yank that from all the stores since I haven't had time to maintain it properly. That will likely be happening here pretty soon.

You know, when I was first writing this code, I was putting in a good 60 hours a week on top of my actual job. It was incredibly rewarding, but that's the kind of effort I need go put in to it again and I just don't have it in me anymore. I imagine that's what happened to the guy who made Win42 back in the day.
sts7049
AG
WWR with a spike overnight
txaggie_08
AG
Maybe this is why

https://stocks.apple.com/AoqWqU7XyTl-TAln7vzo4Xg
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
txaggie_08 said:

Maybe this is why

Here is a link that doesn't force you to use Apple's poopy stock app

https://www.yahoo.com/now/idaho-strategic-resources-ceo-provides-115000572.html
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
sts7049
AG
i couldn't open that link, but i found the news. this guy looks like a pumper, but it seems there was a purchase offer that was rejected

https://www.stocktitan.net/news/IDR/idaho-strategic-resources-ceo-provides-business-combination-proposal-tl5rwm20y55k.html

Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
Red Pear BCS Luke said:

txaggie_08 said:

Maybe this is why

Here is a link that doesn't force you to use Apple's poopy stock app

https://www.yahoo.com/now/idaho-strategic-resources-ceo-provides-115000572.html
Idaho Strategic Resources, Inc.
Thu, December 22, 2022 at 5:50 AM CST12 min read

Idaho Strategic Resources, Inc.

"COEUR D'ALENE, ID / ACCESSWIRE / December 22, 2022 / Idaho Strategic Resources (NYSE American:IDR) ("IDR" or the "Company") is announcing that on 12/15/22 it submitted a non-binding proposal to WWR management to acquire all of the outstanding shares of common stock of Wes****er Resources (WWR) ("WWR" or "Wes****er"). The non-binding proposal was accompanied by a short presentation outlining potential terms and the anticipated benefits of such a business combination. The proposal was declined via email by Wes****er's Executive Chairman, on 12/19/22 as 'not being in the best interests of the Company at this time and they will not pursue the proposal further'."
wanderer
It's bad when it's hard to get excited about a 73% premium on the current ticker price. That premium % needs a zero on the end if I'm being honest. Hah
BaylorSpineGuy
Hope all of you have a great holiday with family! I got a few days off to be with my wife's family in The Woodlands. Been a wild 2 wks at work so glad to catch my breath.

Wanted to take a minute to share some market thoughts. What is a Santa rally? Historically, it involves the last 5-7 trading days of the year after Christmas where by equities often get a bounce, usually around 2.

Are we. Going to have a Santa rally this years and why/why not? Not likely. Why not? Here's a good explanation that I recently saw. Globally, equity markets are worth something like $400T (maybe that's all asset markets?), and markets have grown on average about 10%/yr for these last 10-12 yrs. So, there's an extra $40T/yr that needs to go to work. People often add that at the end of the calendar year. This year, there's not gonna be that extra $40T to go to work.

This is why I believe a Santa rally is unlikely. In fact, I think we are gonna get the Grinch. Markets reversed overnight. Let's see if this thing can push up one more day, but I suspect a reversal and selloff after Christmas.
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
I've read the CEO of Idaho's Strategic Resources (IDR) bid to us on Texags, as the largest conglomerated shareholder to consider this as a shareholder.

Honestly - I don't hate the proposal. There is going to be a difference in the managerial day-to-day if IDR takes over but they have income and income producing assets to help. WWR has their cash and unfavored view by the markets (given the valuation is well below the book value per share).

They are offering to buy out the WWR shares for IDR at an equivalent value of $1.36 for the WWR.

They have alot of Rare Earth Elements under their belt with potential for combined economics of scale to help them manage the exploration and processing of these into actual products.

I don't know. I am going to look further into IDR.
wanderer
Only thing you find underground in Idaho is potatoes

(I have no idea, just trying to make a spud joke)
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
wanderer said:

Only thing you find underground in Idaho is potatoes

(I have no idea, just trying to make a spud joke)
techno-ag
AG
Well the stock is certainly cheap enough for a takeover. I guess it's not too surprising. I wonder if the floodgates will open and more suitors come sniffing around WWR.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
T&P for overnight call holders.

Boil getting impacted by falling prices in US / Europe. Oversold on 30 min chart. It can go lower, but would be surprised to see sub 20
I don't have a subscription but, allegedly -
Bloomberg Reporting
Energy No 1 investment for 2023
Industrial No 2
We got Sun Dogs this morning in the southeastern skies. Beautiful sight with my coffee.
First Page Last Page
Page 5895 of 6618

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.