Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

23,984,353 Views | 231561 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by Heineken-Ashi
irish pete ag06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So how does selling the cash settled index options work since there's no underlying security like a stock or ETF?

Does it require margin?
krosch11
AG
Did I just teleport to Halletsville?
oldarmy1
AG
One of my rare strategies paid off nice. Bought the expiring $389 Spy calls for $0.03 thinking we get some follow on buying after hours. I shorted at $390.25 just now for $1.25 gain so I call out the shares at $389 to close the trade.

Always an angle!
Philip J Fry
AG
irish pete ag06 said:

I will probably find a way to screw this up, but man... buying and selling TQQQ and SQQQ based on the 8/21 daily EMA cross looks like a great way to swing trade. I've been doing some manual back testing. I think I am about to start doing this.

I would be happy if I could just time half of those right.
Txducker
AG
oldarmy1 said:

One of my rare strategies paid off nice. Bought the expiring $389 Spy calls for $0.03 thinking we get some follow on buying after hours. I shorted at $390.25 just now for $1.25 gain so I call out the shares at $389 to close the trade.

Always an angle!
I always wondered why options are bought in the last hour of trading besides closing sold positions. I now learned a new strategy. Thanks for sharing.
Txducker
AG
Txducker said:

oldarmy1 said:

Always an angle!
I always wondered why options are bought in the last hour of trading besides closing sold positions. I now learned a new strategy. I like how the $0.03/call has such a low risk of losing a significant amount of money versus the potential profit. The risk reward ratio is very favorable. Thanks for sharing.
BaylorSpineGuy
Txducker said:

Txducker said:

oldarmy1 said:

Always an angle!
I always wondered why options are bought in the last hour of trading besides closing sold positions. I now learned a new strategy. I like how the $0.03/call has such a low risk of losing a significant amount of money versus the potential profit. The risk reward ratio is very favorable. Thanks for sharing.

That's why OA only bought 600 contracts. ;-).
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
The only thing with OA's strategy is that you need to manage whether or not the shares are exercised to you.

You could close 0.02 in the money like we did yesterday and then instead of going up, the market pukes a buck. In that scenario you need to opt out of exercising. And you obviously have to have enough margin to cover the options you bought.
You don’t trade for money, you trade for freedom.
oldarmy1
AG
You control the option. I called out the shares only after getting the move up allowing me to short it. If the market had remained flat or just above the $189 strike I just cancel the assignment.

That said, you do have to have the funds available for the shares being traded/shorted.

oldarmy1
AG
BaylorSpineGuy said:

Txducker said:

Txducker said:

oldarmy1 said:

Always an angle!

I bought 20, but I like that thinking!
ProgN
https://www.newsweek.com/student-loan-debt-relief-checks-could-mailed-two-weeks-biden-says-1755288?amp=1

Quote:

President Joe Biden has predicted that checks could be sent to those who applied for his student loan debt forgiveness program within "two weeks," despite the program being tied up in court.

The president's program, which forgives up to $20,000 in outstanding debt for borrowers making $125,000 or less per year, was temporarily frozen following a Republican-led legal challenge last week. Applications for the program opened on October 15, with 22 million out of around 44 million eligible Americans applying during the first week.

When asked about the freeze during a NewsNation interview on Thursday, Biden said his administration would win the court case and that the program would soon resume.
I haven't done any in depth research to confirm if "checks" are really going to be mailed out yet, but this is horrible. They won't paydown their debt, they'll spend it and inflationary pressure will be massive. Some estimates are the cost to be between 600B - 1T. That amount of stimulus unleashed on the economy will drive inflation through the stratosphere.
irish pete ag06
AG
We won't see 2% inflation again this decade.

I agree with Cem on this one. The Fed can do everything they want to "curb" inflation but fiscal policy will continue to win in the long run.

As someone posted in the comments below... this is how you also artificially inflate GDP numbers.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Swear to God it's one step forward and two steps back with this administration. What's the point of continuing to raise rates if they're still pulling **** like this?
BaylorSpineGuy
irish pete ag06 said:

We won't see 2% inflation again this decade.

I agree with Cem on this one. The Fed can do everything they want to "curb" inflation but fiscal policy will continue to win in the long run.

As someone posted in the comments below... this is how you also artificially inflate GDP numbers.

Inflation is secular, and it routinely takes 5-10 yrs to unwind inflation once it hits 5% or more. That's historic context.

I think it'll be difficult to make new ATH's in the indexes with these sorts of headwinds.

To make it more germane to this current market, I think we need to have added focus on the DJIA/DIA. It's already bumping up against the 200 daily SMA. NASDAQ not even up at the 50 daily SMA yet, and SPX/Y between the 50 and 200.

If DIA rally fails at 200, that may give us some insight.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?utm_campaign=Oktopost-ReSolve+Riffs+&utm_content=Oktopost-Twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_source=Twitter&v=fUDf7oKXc5Y&feature=youtu.be

This is another recent video by him. Around the 9-12 min mark, he discusses seasonality and what to expect particularly around December OpEx/VIXperation.

$30,000 Millionaire
AG
oldarmy1 said:

You control the option. I called out the shares only after getting the move up allowing me to short it. If the market had remained flat or just above the $189 strike I just cancel the assignment.

That said, you do have to have the funds available for the shares being traded/shorted.

I only mention it because many brokers auto exercise and some of the newer folks on here may not know that they have an action to take with this strategy and your window of when to make that call is limited. With fidelity you only have until 3:15 central time even though FINRA's cut off is 4:30 central.
oldarmy1
AG
Excellent point!
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
oldarmy1 said:

BaylorSpineGuy said:

Txducker said:

Txducker said:

oldarmy1 said:

Always an angle!

That would be $23M in margin! And you'd have to short 60,000 shares AH. It would take you 3 orders to do it and balls of steel.
BaylorSpineGuy
$30,000 Millionaire said:

oldarmy1 said:

BaylorSpineGuy said:

Txducker said:

Txducker said:

oldarmy1 said:

Always an angle!

That would be $23M in margin! And you'd have to short 60,000 shares AH. It would take you 3 orders to do it and balls of steel.

$23M in margin? That's nothing! I heard a rumor that OA is offering to buyout Jimbo's contract with his market winnings this week.
oldarmy1
AG
Ummm, no.
irish pete ag06
AG

oldarmy1 said:

BaylorSpineGuy said:

Txducker said:

Txducker said:

oldarmy1 said:

Always an angle!

Hey man... if you owe the bank $23,000 that's your problem

If you owe the $23 million, that's their problem.
Chipotlemonger
AG
ProgN said:

https://www.newsweek.com/student-loan-debt-relief-checks-could-mailed-two-weeks-biden-says-1755288?amp=1

Quote:

President Joe Biden has predicted that checks could be sent to those who applied for his student loan debt forgiveness program within "two weeks," despite the program being tied up in court.

The president's program, which forgives up to $20,000 in outstanding debt for borrowers making $125,000 or less per year, was temporarily frozen following a Republican-led legal challenge last week. Applications for the program opened on October 15, with 22 million out of around 44 million eligible Americans applying during the first week.

When asked about the freeze during a NewsNation interview on Thursday, Biden said his administration would win the court case and that the program would soon resume.
I haven't done any in depth research to confirm if "checks" are really going to be mailed out yet, but this is horrible. They won't paydown their debt, they'll spend it and inflationary pressure will be massive. Some estimates are the cost to be between 600B - 1T. That amount of stimulus unleashed on the economy will drive inflation through the stratosphere.

I think it's just his way of talking about it. Semantics. Don't think they're actually sending checks out, Joe just being Joe.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Just for reassurance, otm short calls on twtr are safe, right? If i can't close them the holder can't exercise them (not sure why they would want to)
irish pete ag06
AG
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
Interesting futures action so far. Lately there has been more vol than this.
BaylorSpineGuy
At a get together tonight with a friend. He has $150K expiring Friday on deep OTM puts. He's calling for a 12% drop this week to 3400.

He's putting his money where his mouth is.
bmoochie
AG
What's the reasoning?? I'm not a heavy hitter by no stretch but 12% is a ton in one week.
BaylorSpineGuy
bmoochie said:

What's the reasoning?? I'm not a heavy hitter by no stretch but 12% is a ton in one week.

Yeah I was surprised myself. But he swore he wouldn't miss it again after he missed the big drop in June. He's hedged with $50K to the upside this week

His main reason reasoning is that this trading is all algorithmic and this pattern forming now is same as that of late May to early June. He thinks Nov 4 will be a tank. He says this week will mimic the June 9-13 week. Argued that all the media is taking about a pivot, etc., and he is confident Powell will come out hawkish on Wednesday again.

I'm somewhat skeptical since all the seasonality and flows, etc.
BlueTaze
Sounds kinda like a revenge and fomo trade...not wanting to miss out after getting burned last time in June.

I think Powell would have to go even more directly Hawkish than Jackson Hole to get to 3400. I just don't see it. I actually think the surprise may be a 25/50 instead of 75 hike.
techno-ag
AG
I might could see Powell surprising the market again downward.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
All the respect in the world to that guy. I would also gladly be on the other side of that trade. 12% in a week is intense and just generally doesn't happen.
BaylorSpineGuy

All the respect in the world to that guy. I would also gladly be on the other side of that trade. 12% in a week is intense and just generally doesn't happen.

Yeah, he's got silly money anyway, and I hear what he's saying, but I'm not going blind here. Will follow the tape. WSJ guy Timiraros seems to be leaking hawkish speak over the weekend. We shall see….
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
A 3750/3650/3550 butterfly is 7.25, less tomorrow morning.

That's a better way to play a fed puke as a hedge.

10K upside and you only need between 3560 and 3740 to make money.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
Might actually be a fun XSP trade for the board. Waste $70 for the chance to make a grand.
sts7049
AG
Bob Knights Paper Hands
I'm not getting short here. This doesn't make sense to me and when it doesn't make sense I sit out.
First Page Last Page
Page 5799 of 6617

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.