Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

23,994,488 Views | 231574 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by EliteZags
sts7049
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
it already flashed on open to almost 4150 (4147 is what i see), so we'll see if there is any reaction here.
FJ43

Just a chart with trend lines and EMAs.

SRs removed except for one.

Wealth gained hastily will dwindle. but whoever gathers little by little will increase it.
Proverbs 13:11

topher06
So we are significantly overextended?
FJ43
topher06 said:

So we are significantly overextended?
Lots of events this week so anything can happen. Both ways.

However, when we extend this far above the 5ema, into resistance, 8 out of 10 times I will win shorting as a scalp trade.

I did at the close. Maybe it's the 2 of 10 but I'll take that risk as a trade.
Wealth gained hastily will dwindle. but whoever gathers little by little will increase it.

Charismatic Megafauna
AG
What short position did you take? Friday atm spy puts?
FJ43
Charismatic Megafauna said:

What short position did you take? Friday atm spy puts?
Friday 410s at 4.85

Charismatic Megafauna
AG
See i knew that was the smart way to play it, so why do i keep buying degenerate garbage!?
FJ43

See i knew that was the smart way to play it, so why do i keep buying degenerate garbage!?
Lol....when you say degenerate garbage what did you do?

How do you determine to go short or long?

What do you look at to determine what strike to choose?

Charismatic Megafauna
AG
I bought wed 415 calls and 405 puts, already cashed out most of the calls at and just after close for 20-25% gain but i know the rest can go to 0 quick. I felt comfortable with 415 strike because i have a daily sr at 417ish from way back. I felt comfortable with 405 strike on the puts because you keep posting these doom and gloom charts and you keep being right

Edit: also we spent all day putting in a mondo bull flag on the hourly
BaylorSpineGuy
When we hit Model T today, I bought 400P for Oct expiry. My thought was that 400 is roughly Mode l T from this range to recent low.

However, I remember earlier this summer getting burned on one of these major economic releases because I was only trading one direction, so I bought some 415 weekly calls for this week to be hedged. And if it rallies up after this, I will close my calls and use the gains to buy more puts.

That's my thought at least….
FJ43

I bought wed 415 calls and 405 puts, already cashed out most of the calls at and just after close for 20-25% gain but i know the rest can go to 0 quick. I felt comfortable with 415 strike because i have a daily sr at 417ish from way back. I felt comfortable with 405 strike on the puts because you keep posting these doom and gloom charts and you keep being right

Edit: also we spent all day putting in a mondo bull flag on the hourly
If we lose today's low I'd bet we see 405/6 which your puts will pay. 407/8 possible medium support. But be ready to exit with solid execution. Theta will get you with Wed expiry. Tomorrow I'd expect flash moves either way.

We could see a move up again. But....I think we need to rest if we are going to break the trend. 4 green candles with two gap and go with no backtest, this much over the 5 is just one thing I look at. That was my key having rejected at resistance.

Obviously I bet to the downside of a backtest before Friday. Preferably tomorrow. If not no big deal. Just a trade and for my trading style and risk management a high probability setup.

FJ43

More than anything I want a VIX spike to 30. But I'm sick like that....

Charismatic Megafauna
AG
For once I'm all for it. Tomorrow, please!
Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX
If you're interested in the G7 Price Cap Guidance on Russian Oil and Refined Products, here it is.

https://home.treasury.gov/system/files/126/cap_guidance_20220909.pdf

For the TL;DR crowd, it's an 8 page joke. That's why the Crude Cap is held off until Dec 5th and Refined Products Cap held off until Fed 2023. Allows enough time for backdoor deals.

Side Note: Developing news, Israel looking to come to Germany's rescue. Israel good for 10% NatGas of what Russia was sending Germany. Some irony in all this. https://www.jpost.com/business-and-innovation/all-news/article-716970

CPI: Tomorrow, I'm not expecting any drastic improvement. The measurement is YoY so we need a few more months out of the way for the math to reflect measurable improvement. But, who knows, maybe they'll change the calculation....President Obama did.

Janet Yellen says gas could spike in November. (These are some of America's brightest.) Farmer says "Gas WILL spike in November, if not before with SPR releases stopping."

Like I posted before,....amazing the media is starting to chirp about SPR crude releases and price now. They'll find a way to explain a crude oil S&D to the citizens after the mid-term election and gasoline is north of $6.

Alert: Brandon mentioned SPR releases to continue after October. The Administration was quick to correct Brandon and the end of SPR releases, but they did not use exacting language. Legally, they stop at the end of Sep (6 months), but the Administration wants all 180 million barrels out and they claim to need October to do it. If Brandon goes beyond 180 million barrels and tries to empty the SPR....lookout.
lobwedgephil
CPI in the morning can blow up any technical setup, no way to know market reaction.
FJ43
Mornun!

Well slight gap up early PM. I'll be watching the 200EMA in the mid 415s (seems like a magnet) but harder watch at 416.30s (my favorite level it seems) for rejection.

With CPI today and quarter shenanigans anything can happen.

My plan is if we move to the above levels, I'll take puts out into mid to late October and possibly add to them should we get to 420-23 in the days ahead plus sell covered calls on longs.

Currently I'm short with weeklies (410P) expiring Friday as a trade along with VIX calls expiring next week.

Trade wisely!

Bob Knights Paper Hands
lobwedgephil said:

CPI in the morning can blow up any technical setup, no way to know market reaction.

Yes and regardless of the CPI or the tone of the presentation, we still won't know how the market will react. The first move isn't always the Move.
BaylorSpineGuy

Initial SPY move in PM trading knocked it down to 404.50. Market no likey.
Triple_Bagger
Everyone thought we would see a decline with inflation because energy has dropped so much, but surprise! Inflation is still rising. 75bps is now a lock for this month's rate hike.
Golf1
AG
Can anyone explain to me the difference on /ES on td Ameritrade and ES1! On trading view? I just recently started playing with trading view so this is what I'm looking at but I noticed how ES1! doesn't really correlate with spy and other stocks I'm looking at like /Es does.
FJ43
Fall fall fall away SPY

VIX shoot up all you want

BaylorSpineGuy
Even tho protective call is gonna get obliterated, I'm actually happy this morning. My bias was a reversal and thus my bigger trade was 400P but I bought the 415C for this week as a protection. Felt less like gambling this time and thankful for that.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Guess I'm selling those puts at open and hold the last call and see if we get a bounce
M4 Benelli
Triple_Bagger said:

Everyone thought we would see a decline with inflation because energy has dropped so much, but surprise! Inflation is still rising. 75bps is now a lock for this month's rate hike.

Aye, the same people who think we're not in a "recession" because the MSM re-defined the term.

sts7049
AG
i bought a chunk of ES-F 3900Ps last night. was sweating this morning but i just closed 80% of them for a 50% gain. now i can ride the chop
BaylorSpineGuy
M4 Benelli said:

Triple_Bagger said:

Aye, the same people who think we're not in a "recession" because the MSM re-defined the term.

I try to look at history when possible. Am currently listening to audio book called Grand Pursuit which looks at the development of study of political economy in 19th and 20th centuries.

Was listening to a chapter around start of WW1. Everyone including Churchill thought the war would last just a couple weeks after German invasion of Belgium. They couldn't have been more wrong.

I see inflation like this. People think it will easily go away or start to decline definitively but I suspect it's entrenched for a time. Even with how much energy dropped in August, it didn't matter.

We have to have longer time lens and look at history to understand these secular trends.
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
Triple_Bagger said:

Gonna put on my Realtor hat for a second to expand on this...

The reason it's up is because of the lag between Housing Growth we've seen since start of '21 and how long it takes to hit the inflation report.

So it's safe to say that this is going to be further affected by those crazy ass rent growth prices you've seen/heard/experienced. The delay is between 8-10 months and I can tell you that the growths have not slowed down.
FJ43
I'll sell the 400P I've been riding at open and trail the 410s with tight trail.

Looking at 400, 397/8…..hopefully

slacker00
AG
Golf1 said:

Can anyone explain to me the difference on /ES on td Ameritrade and ES1! On trading view? I just recently started playing with trading view so this is what I'm looking at but I noticed how ES1! doesn't really correlate with spy and other stocks I'm looking at like /Es does.
/ES is a continuous chart. ES1 is a shorthand for front month contract. If you want to be sure which chart you are on use the full date code.

The equity futures contracts expire every quarter and we happen to be at a point where we have a contract expiring this Friday. So you have /ESU2 and /ESZ2 in play right now. They are roughly 20 points different right now. What you are seeing in the charts is some charts are just the front month and some charts are a continuous chart and they switched contracts in the middle of the chart. /ES chart on TV switched Thursday after the close, so there was a gap up when the futures opened for example.
BaylorSpineGuy
Wondering in hindsight if we could've seen this result yesterday. I think it's possible.

GOLD gapped up and then traded lower after a good rally. TLT made a lower low as well.

Not predicting the future but there is follow through on both of those today.
Golf1
AG
I would not have hated to stay somewhat near what we closed at yesterday. Such a big drop is going to make it difficult to buy puts today.
Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX
Chatter is the SPR releases that will be reported in this week's EIA report are larger than last week. That should be bearish WTI. No worries. The S&D don't lie. Pounding the desk,....once those SPR releases stop the truth cannot be hid anymore.

Buying opportunity in the energy sector this week and likely next. I sold XOM 9/23 $103 Covered Calls yesterday at $0.59. Wasn't patient enough, my original sell order was $0.75. I lowered to $0.59. Reached at least $0.80 thereafter. But, I'm good with the ROI.

No change on outlook. November, U.S. gasoline spike, likely NatGas spike, Germany going to freeze, XOM $120-ish by year end, WTI & Brent $105 to $110 by year end, Dec CPI report reflecting Nov data should start showing some economic improvement due to YoY math calculation but real data for the month could blow it up, Europe still not seeing reality and going Green (hope they freeze too), Germany and EU cant stop a Russian uranium shipment for France (nuke fuel) heading to Germany for processing because uranium/nuclear isn't in the sanctions, energy sector to yield returns through 2022 and 2023, XOM Q3 earnings should be close to record and expect a div increase.

Where is AustinAG?

Going to go pound on my drum.

See y'all!
topher06
This is going to suck in a few minutes. Expecting the only green to be my put hedges and my covered calls. Inflation is out of control.

Sold 3/4 of my hedge puts.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Hoo! That worked out well! Holding one last put for gap fill at 400.4 then reloading crwd calls 2 weeks out

Edit: close enough. 1.50->5.50
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
Tried to tell you guys
You don’t trade for money, you trade for freedom.
First Page Last Page
Page 5684 of 6617

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.