Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

24,026,042 Views | 231616 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by ProgN
SoTXAg09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
lobwedgephil said:

SoTXAg09 said:

Anybody care to explain what Mancini is describing here;
Quote:

Friday was fairly simple for me as I stopped trading around 1pm. As most know, I was long from Thursday. I said that I would add if price was still basing above 3945 Friday morning. If you look at Thursdays overnight action from midnight to 830AM EST, ES built a *perfect* bull flag (I would recommend checking this so you can see in real life what these patterns look like). This is why I said I would add in the morning if we were basing above 3945, and when I see a well developed, 12hr+ bull flag like this, I have no issues buying right inside it. From there, follow through was perfect: We rallied at 830 AM to around 4k, pulled back to perfectly back-test the bull flag at 3975, then ran to ~4025 target.

I've looked at Thursday's overnight on 5 min, 10 min and 1 hour and don't see this 12 hour bull flag in ES.
Classic bull flag, price broke out, came back and retested support, and went back up.

Thanks. It was the description of 12-8 that threw me off, but that channel makes more sense.
Brewmaster
AG
Ragoo said:

That shirt is extremely comfortable. I don't know the blend but it is so soft.

Also, who doesn't like a shirt with sausage on it?
now you need a Real Ale Ride 2022 shirt. I'm doing the 50 miler.
moses1084ever
AG
quick short scalp on the JPY (/6J) to close the day out for me
Brewmaster
AG
$30,000 Millionaire said:

I am no expert on euro and Russian politics, but I have had business dealings with all. know the Russians need money and I think Putin's days are short at this point. The Germans are as stupid and arrogant as the day is long. They would look down their nose at us when they literally had to be stopped from committing genocide. We saved them and I am sure we will save them again. West Berlin would have fallen to the Russians in the 50s if not for us.

I think Russia has a careful calculus that they have to make here. They're choosing to posture before the true winter period vs shutting the pipeline off in the dead of winter and really making people suffer. I think they will lose a lot of their remaining apologists as well and they will become even more of a world villain. Side note, it's inexplicable to me how many "conservatives" in our country are pro Russia and have no problem with Russia invading Ukraine. Russia has also proven that their military sucks. They're still a nuclear power and must be respected but they can't win a ground war against another country.
Consider that some of those conservatives have friends in high or low places. I have some that were in low places and have been there. Nothing you are seeing on tv or in the papers is being accurately portrayed. Ukraine should not be a friend of any patriot here in the states. FWIW there are pro Russian Ukrainians that are tired of being blown up and mistreated by pro Ukraine terrorists (these exist and have for years).

back to stonks only go down!
BaylorSpineGuy

Is this the manipulation Farmer was referring to?
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
59 South said:

Question for you all on setting stop orders - do you usually use stop loss (market order triggered) or stop limit?

I usually do stop loss for market orders as long as it is something very liquid. Otherwise, I'll set a stop limit and/or just a notification as long as I know I'll be home and near my device to manage it quickly. There is risk in both options - took me a while to understand the mechanics.

Yes. Thinly traded and swing option I will use alerts.
You don’t trade for money, you trade for freedom.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
I don't think any of these situations are binary. I just can't imagine any scenario where I would cheer for Russia taking aggressive action. The world is better when nation states get along.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
3930 and 3960 are the keys today. Good luck to you all
cageybee77
AG
fookin fidelity is crawling.....can't make a trade. maybe "the heavens" are trying to keep me from making a bad trade...
Brewmaster
AG
interesting big buy:

TSLA deeper ITM call buy for OCT, and captures earnings
topher06
Thanks again for talking me into selling those spy calls FJ. Woof again today
Golf1
AG
Out of all of my positions and might be done for the day. I keep seeing us making lower lows today but everything just seems oversold to me.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Picked up more GOOGL at $106.
GreasenUSA
AG
cageybee77 said:

fookin fidelity is crawling.....can't make a trade. maybe "the heavens" are trying to keep me from making a bad trade...
ETrade Pro charts aren't working today. They still can't figure out how to handle holidays.

Trading with L2 only is always fun.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Golf1 said:

Out of all of my positions and might be done for the day. I keep seeing us making lower lows today but everything just seems oversold to me.

We bounced then flashed under a sr line i drew based on 6/17 and 7/14 touches. I'm an insufferable permabull but i got a couple calls when the flash under got engulfed.

Sbrcy rocking today...if only i could close it!

Edit: Hairless is closing out his shorts
BourbonAg
AG
Had my stop too small on my SPY calls and that break below 3890 got me.
wanderer
Double Rainbow!!.......what does it mean??

(double inverse H&S)
oldarmy1
AG
BourbonAg said:

Had my stop too small on my SPY calls and that break below 3890 got me.
You just experienced what I call a classic "Tricksy" move (happens on individual stocks and macro markets). Write your experience down as to what you were looking for when entering the trade. Why you selected the stop, which I can guess is because of the break below the last 2 day lows, and then how you would better approach it next time.

I was buying when you were selling. I was telling everyone on twitter that the technicals, along with my experience of what I was seeing, said a pivot opportunity formed. Don't tell that market timing thread I claimed to be able to time the markets.

BaylorSpineGuy
Hope all are well today. Sorta related…..

Baylor's former coach Guy Morriss passed away today. Alzheimer's. He looked rough, sadly.

He basically restored some decent hope for our program, which was in shambles when he got to us. He will be remembered for 35-34. Our first win over you guys in 20 yrs. 85 team was the least to beat you before then. I met Hackie Sherrill once and he said that was the best team of ours he ever faced. Met Sherrill at Muster in Little Rock (maybe 2013 or so).

Hope both our teams do well this year. I married an Aggie….so I root for you all now and your going to the SEC probably saved my marriage haha!
oldarmy1
AG
Hate to hear that. Really good man.
irish pete ag06
AG
irish pete ag06 said:

irish pete ag06 said:

BlitzBrother said:

Sold 40% stocks late Thursday , hedged 100% of remainder - Basically looking out until midterms , think 3,950 in the cards as a minimum on S&P500 .
This is basically exactly what I did. I started a tad too early. I started 6-7 trading days ago. I also began entering SQQQ layering in over the previous 2 weeks. Maybe the biggest position I've ever had. Playing for the model T and for it to fall back into previous consolidation zones that roughly equate too 300-310 QQQ.

So on the SQQQ chart, I am targetting 47-50. Today allowed me to move my stop to break even after averaging in.

Before folks lose their crap about longing SQQQ and TQQQ, I am not keeping this forever. It's a swing trade. Not hodl'ing this.

I also bought $30 VIX calls for 21 Sep. I got into these too early as well. Downward moves (upward moves on VIX) happen so dang fast, I didn't want to miss it. These basically got back to breakeven today since I was too early. I still see more volatility upside, so I am holding, but plan to trim soon. Potentially tomorrow.
Target 1 on SQQQ has been achieved. I've had a limit sell of 48 set for a long time, but I took it off today because I am at my new job, where I watch the markets all day as a part of my job. I plan to set a trailing stop order sometime today.

I've learned a tough lesson on the VIX calls. I am just now back to break even. I went too far OTM on these. I would have been much better served buying less contracts for a much strike price. I still have plenty of time, so I'm planning to hold these because I still believe we'll crack 30 before a short term rally ensues.
Sold half my position at 49.05 this morning for a 27% return. This is the largest position I've ever taken by a large margin. It's in my Roth IRA.

Plan for the rest of the 50%

Targeting to limit sell 25% at 55
Targeting to limit sell the last 25% at 60-61

Stop set at $41.50 which would be a 10% win

If everything goes as planned (which I doubt)... The megaphone play on the macros seems too obvious to play out cleanly. I would flip to averaging in to TQQQ for the ride back up.
irish pete ag06
AG
BaylorSpineGuy said:

Hope all are well today. Sorta related…..

Baylor's former coach Guy Morriss passed away today. Alzheimer's. He looked rough, sadly.

He basically restored some decent hope for our program, which was in shambles when he got to us. He will be remembered for 35-34. Our first win over you guys in 20 yrs. 85 team was the least to beat you before then. I met Hackie Sherrill once and he said that was the best team of ours he ever faced. Met Sherrill at Muster in Little Rock (maybe 2013 or so).

Hope both our teams do well this year. I married an Aggie….so I root for you all now and your going to the SEC probably saved my marriage haha!
One of my really good friends played ball for him at Texas A&M Commerce. Was a really good and unique experience for him. He told lots of cool stories that always made me like Coach Morris. RIP
Brewmaster
AG
if this holds, we run to resistance (intraday highs) and form a wedge. break this trend line though and this could get smoked.

BaylorSpineGuy
We got close to real success with him but came up just short in 2005. Lost to you guys on the road in OT and lost to OU on the road in double OT. So close! Injuries in 2006 kept us from making the big jump. Briles came in 2 yrs later and the rest is history.

I got know Tyler Lindstrom (Baylor safety) when I lived in Houston for Med school. He liked Morriss well and we always reminisced about the Baylor-aTm game from 2005 in CS. We took you to overtime and lost on a Courtney Lewis? Sweep up the left side. It broke me lol. Was such a good game tho! The best we played you guys on the road…and it made me proud after you beat our asses 73- (or whatever)10 in 2003.

Lindstrom told me he narrowly missed Reggie' McNeal by the shoestrings late in 4th quarter when he went on that big run up the middle of the field on 3rd and long. That would've sealed it for us. I watched that from the sidelines and knew that was probably our shot. Tyler died in Austin earlier this summer and the circumstances haven't been made public. Sad situation.

Anyway….thanks for letting me reminisce. Always love football and even as a fan, it's had profound impact on me. Hope you're all making money today. I'm seeing bad backs left and right lol.
Philip J Fry
AG
I don't know any conservatives who are Pro Russia. I do know many, however, that think Putin would have never done this while Trump was in office.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Dude you're killing it, congrats! Don't get too far out over your skis...
GreasenUSA
AG
Yeah, I went ahead and flagged for trolling. I'd hate to think someone on this thread would be making that comment due to the other option.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Charismatic Megafauna said:

Golf1 said:

We bounced then flashed under a sr line i drew based on 6/17 and 7/14 touches. I'm an insufferable permabull but i got a couple calls when the flash under got engulfed.

Bought 2 of tomorrow's 391s for 2.25, closed one at 3.1 just on principle, set a stop loss for the other at 4 because i had to go to lunch, it filled at 3.97 and I'm really glad it did. Thought about buying them back but decided to get an expiring crwd 177.5 instead. Probably should have bought puts since it seems to be having trouble holding...
irish pete ag06
AG
Thanks! Definitely was a large position, but the triple leveraged QQQ feels slow since I've attempted to trade weekly options for so long now.
Jet Black
I don't really care one way or another, but I can't believe how many people think Ukraine is an innocent victim in this situation.
irish pete ag06
AG
I've come to realize that MOST (I didn't say "all") conflict on any scale in the globe is usually more nuanced than pure evil vs pure good. Teaching geography/history for as long as I have kind of slowly opened my eyes to that.

irish pete ag06
AG
What's up with the VIX?

It just seems like we should be higher.
jj9000
AG
Take the Politics BS to F16.

Don't ruin a good thread here.
Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX
The irony is strong in this one.

https://www.wboy.com/news/tucker/coal-miners-help-push-tourists-dead-electric-car-in-tucker-county/

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
We gonna rally to a green close.
First Page Last Page
Page 5674 of 6618

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.