Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

24,027,202 Views | 231616 Replies | Last: 6 hrs ago by ProgN
ryanhnc10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
NIO Inc. said Monday that it has formed a committee to look into recent allegations that the China-based electric vehicle maker is using an affiliate battery maker to boost financial results.

Short-seller Grizzly Research LLC had alleged on June 28 that sales to Wuhan Weineng Battery Asset Co., which was formed by NIO and a consortium of investors, helped NIO inflate net income by about 95% and revenue by 10%.
E
AG
ryanhnc10 said:

NIO Inc. said Monday that it has formed a committee to look into recent allegations that the China-based electric vehicle maker is using an affiliate battery maker to boost financial results.

Short-seller Grizzly Research LLC had alleged on June 28 that sales to Wuhan Weineng Battery Asset Co., which was formed by NIO and a consortium of investors, helped NIO inflate net income by about 95% and revenue by 10%.

Yikes! Time to dump my NIO
Spoony Love
AG
Do not want
sts7049
AG
ooo I have NIO puts. cmon baby, crash!
Bob Knights Paper Hands
We'll know tomorrow if we will leg down some more, I think. I'd say we have at least a 50% chance to hit 3500. My thoughts would be if we do test lows again, wait for us to confirm above the 20-day exponential moving average before starting to get back in the market in 3-5 steps of 33% to 20% each of what you pulled out.

You don't have to pick the very bottom, but this way you won't push chips in and watch us sink another >10% while trying to decide if you should pull money back out again.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Dammit... this is why i suck at this. I never wait for confirmation of reversal
Bob Knights Paper Hands
I also thought this was interesting at least
Michael Cera Palin
AG
So amazing to me coming from the engineering world to see graphs with no axis labels. I assume the x-axis is number of days after the peak?
Bob Knights Paper Hands
That's my assumption as well. I got it off of Twitter, so we're lucky it has numbers on the axies.
Michael Cera Palin
AG
"Eh they're a bunch of degenerates they'll figure it out"
ryanhnc10
AG
Bob Knights Liver said:

Man that stretch from 1929-1938 was nuts according to that graph
ProgN
91AggieLawyer said:

OK, I know asking about a fund or index on this thread is a little like showing up to a NASCAR garage with a broken chain on a bicycle and wanting mechanical advice, but I'll ask anyway: any thoughts on where the bottom of the S&P ends up? 3500? 3000? Lower?

I dumped my wife's 403b fund S&P somewhere around 3900 and want to know where to get back in.
This isn't an absolute but if you're trying to enter long term mutual funds or investments with a long time goal then consider this, pick 10 market leaders and monitor their price action when they report earnings. If the majority of them report bad, expected, or exceed expectations just discount that. Watch what they do after their forward guidance. If their forward guidance is bad but their stock isn't slaughtered AH in 7-8 of those stocks then it means we're closer to the bottom in the market. If the majority of them are crushed, then keep your powder dry because lower prices are likely. We begin earnings period this week and news is driving the market. Economic reports also carry a loot of weight now because most retail investors are scared. If you can monitor more bellwethers than 10 that's even better, but pick those leaders from different industries. News and their stock reaction is more valuable in this earnings period, especially if guidance is bad and the stock isn't crushed. This is JMO that I've formed through almost 3 decades of experience in the market, but it's not the Gospel.
wanderer
Yes, times were not great. In fact, some even say it was a Great Depression.
ryanhnc10
AG
wanderer said:

Yes, times were not great. In fact, some even say it was a Great Depression.

My point is, to have a separate line on that graph you had to have at least a 20% rally to get out of the bear market and then enter a new one. That is some violent swinging over a long period instead of one or two really long bear markets
ProgN
FJ43 said:

You're way more advanced to fall for this. Those firms are white collar ambulance chasers that are making hay during market downturns because mom and pop are down and believe these altruistic lawyers can get their money back. The same firms hit companies with lawsuits to capture clients in the case that fraud is discovered. Ironically, those firms will not make investors whole but if they do find fraud, then they'll enrich themselves while their clients receive pennies on the dollar. When they find out that a company didn't commit fraud, they disappear. Those unethical ****s are vultures and are legally profiting from using the same deceptive practices that they're suing for.
FJ43
ProgN said:

FJ43 said:

You're way more advanced to fall for this. Those firms are white collar ambulance chasers that are making hay during market downturns because mom and pop are down and believe these altruistic lawyers can get their money back. The same firms hit companies with lawsuits to capture clients in the case that fraud is discovered. Ironically, those firms will not make investors whole but if they do find fraud, then they'll enrich themselves while their clients receive pennies on the dollar. When they find out that a company didn't commit fraud, they disappear. Those unethical ****s are vultures and are legally profiting from using the same deceptive practices that they're suing for.

I'm with ya brother. I'm long NIO just under $15 average cost. Just first I've seen anything about this come across my news alerts on long positions. Got another of those regarding NIO last night…different firm.

For me set price alerts and forget about it.
Wealth gained hastily will dwindle. but whoever gathers little by little will increase it.
Proverbs 13:11

Bob Knights Paper Hands
Nothing matters until reaction to real CPI.

Carlo4
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

LMCane
Bob Knights Liver said:

So What is your hypothesis or conclusion from that chart?
E
AG
FJ43 said:

ProgN said:

FJ43 said:

I'm with ya brother. I'm long NIO just under $15 average cost. Just first I've seen anything about this come across my news alerts on long positions. Got another of those regarding NIO last night…different firm.

For me set price alerts and forget about it.

Knowing this market, that new just might make the price go up!
austinAG90
AG
CPI Is THE FOCAL POINT...And Should Set the Next Trend for Stocks and Bonds

This morning all eyes will be on the CPI number... The YOY is what the Fed will be focused on... The expectation is 8.8% with a range on the BB Survey of 8.1 to 8.9%... There are whisper numbers out there with a 9% handle and some yo yo put out a phony report yesterday on BLS stationary that said the number was 10.2%... That was quickly debunked as the charts and the numbers in the text did not match... But the WH has added fuel to the fire with their pronouncements of higher numbers. We think the WH is just trying to cover their behind on what is the expected number... Other numbers will play a role in what the Fed thinks, but the YOY is what Powell says drives inflation expectations...

Fed.. 75 is locked in and we do not see a number that will reduce that expectation unless there is a 7 handle, which is mathematically impossible given where oil was when it was measured, soaring food costs, and rent increases... While oil reversed nicely on recession fears, that will show up in the August print for July... Rent will remain sticky... So 75 for July and 50 for September... But a lot can happen between 7/27 and 9/21... And we will have Jackson Hole at the end of August.. But this Fed is not the only CB to be aggressive... Both New Zealand and South Korea raised rates 50 this morning and BOC is going to raise 75 today... The question that will be on investor's minds is if we get an even worse number today could the Fed raise 100... We doubt that...

Scenarios... We won't waste time... The number should come in 8.5 to 9%... The war is still between inflation and recession... The higher the number, the more the Fed wants to raise rates to fight it... The more the Fed wants to raise rates, the faster the market builds in a recession... The more the market builds in a recession the more rates rally (go lower in yield), which is what we have been seeing since Friday with the 10 year going from 3.10 to 2.96 right now. It had gotten to 2.90 yesterday but a lousy auction curtailed the rally... But if recession takes the lead after CPI today then 2.875 and 2.75 are in the cards...

Rates... 2 year range is 2.75-3.125... 10 year 2.71 to 3.20... 5 year about the same... 2/10 remains solidly inverted for now, but is very volatile.. And could be positive if the recession scenario gets another wave of legs... Fed speakers are light today and not sure what more they can say... Bullard and Waller will be up on Friday, as is Bostic... But all of these speakers have been actively out there giving their views, which is well built into the rates markets...

Equities... Tough call.. The ranges of 3800-4100 have been holding, but the 3800 could easily give way... More and more think equities have bottomed but are waiting for a capitulation... One thing we are not seeing is a move up in Vix to 35-40, which many are waiting for... That might be a long wait as Vix is based on option prices... Options prices are determined on the margin on what Hedge funds do to hedge their positions... But options are expensive and HF have liquidated many of their longs while some are very short... So the traditional Vix spike that many are waiting for may not happen... Meanwhile the traditional Fed model on EQUITIES is SHOWING A SCRAMING BUY... THAT IS EARNINGS YIELD VERSUS THE 10 YEAR... 5.95% VS 2.96 FOR 10 YEARS.. That is a 300 basis point difference... Do not go out and buy equities today based on that , but keep it in mind.

Economy... We still do not see a recession... Some say 30%, others 50% probability... Google announced a slowdown in hiring, as many others already have announced... The slowdown is real, but many parts of the economy are still red hot and stimulus is likely at some point as the WH gears up for 2024... So we will stick with our no recession call for now... But the odds will increase and the fears are valid.

Volatility.. To quote from a dealer " the ICE Bofa MOVE index, a gauge of costs for treasury options, rose in four of the last 5 weeks. The Vix for equities fell for three straight weeks.. The Moves's premium over the Vix has widened this month to the most since 2009"... Translated, this means that bonds are now more volatile than equities, which is where the fast money has moved to play..

Corporates issuance remains on life support... Only one deal got priced yesterday. The optics were awful... And will probably get worse before getting better... Order book was 1.6 oversubscribed and new issue concession landed at 28 basis... We talked with the NY Times yesterday about corporates, and our view is not good and something the Fed should be watching... But for now companies have good balance sheets, but watch the BBB space...

Fasten your seat belts.. The new trend starts at 8.30 am
LMCane
austinAG90 said:

CPI Is THE FOCAL POINT...And Should Set the Next Trend for Stocks and Bonds

This morning all eyes will be on the CPI number... The YOY is what the Fed will be focused on... The expectation is 8.8% with a range on the BB Survey of 8.1 to 8.9%... There are whisper numbers out there with a 9% handle and some yo yo put out a phony report yesterday on BLS stationary that said the number was 10.2%... That was quickly debunked as the charts and the numbers in the text did not match... But the WH has added fuel to the fire with their pronouncements of higher numbers. We think the WH is just trying to cover their behind on what is the expected number... Other numbers will play a role in what the Fed thinks, but the YOY is what Powell says drives inflation expectations...

Fed.. 75 is locked in and we do not see a number that will reduce that expectation unless there is a 7 handle, which is mathematically impossible given where oil was when it was measured, soaring food costs, and rent increases... While oil reversed nicely on recession fears, that will show up in the August print for July... Rent will remain sticky... So 75 for July and 50 for September... But a lot can happen between 7/27 and 9/21... And we will have Jackson Hole at the end of August.. But this Fed is not the only CB to be aggressive... Both New Zealand and South Korea raised rates 50 this morning and BOC is going to raise 75 today... The question that will be on investor's minds is if we get an even worse number today could the Fed raise 100... We doubt that...

Scenarios... We won't waste time... The number should come in 8.5 to 9%... The war is still between inflation and recession... The higher the number, the more the Fed wants to raise rates to fight it... The more the Fed wants to raise rates, the faster the market builds in a recession... The more the market builds in a recession the more rates rally (go lower in yield), which is what we have been seeing since Friday with the 10 year going from 3.10 to 2.96 right now. It had gotten to 2.90 yesterday but a lousy auction curtailed the rally... But if recession takes the lead after CPI today then 2.875 and 2.75 are in the cards...

Rates... 2 year range is 2.75-3.125... 10 year 2.71 to 3.20... 5 year about the same... 2/10 remains solidly inverted for now, but is very volatile.. And could be positive if the recession scenario gets another wave of legs... Fed speakers are light today and not sure what more they can say... Bullard and Waller will be up on Friday, as is Bostic... But all of these speakers have been actively out there giving their views, which is well built into the rates markets...

Equities... Tough call.. The ranges of 3800-4100 have been holding, but the 3800 could easily give way... More and more think equities have bottomed but are waiting for a capitulation... One thing we are not seeing is a move up in Vix to 35-40, which many are waiting for... That might be a long wait as Vix is based on option prices... Options prices are determined on the margin on what Hedge funds do to hedge their positions... But options are expensive and HF have liquidated many of their longs while some are very short... So the traditional Vix spike that many are waiting for may not happen... Meanwhile the traditional Fed model on EQUITIES is SHOWING A SCRAMING BUY... THAT IS EARNINGS YIELD VERSUS THE 10 YEAR... 5.95% VS 2.96 FOR 10 YEARS.. That is a 300 basis point difference... Do not go out and buy equities today based on that , but keep it in mind.

Economy... We still do not see a recession... Some say 30%, others 50% probability... Google announced a slowdown in hiring, as many others already have announced... The slowdown is real, but many parts of the economy are still red hot and stimulus is likely at some point as the WH gears up for 2024... So we will stick with our no recession call for now... But the odds will increase and the fears are valid.

Volatility.. To quote from a dealer " the ICE Bofa MOVE index, a gauge of costs for treasury options, rose in four of the last 5 weeks. The Vix for equities fell for three straight weeks.. The Moves's premium over the Vix has widened this month to the most since 2009"... Translated, this means that bonds are now more volatile than equities, which is where the fast money has moved to play..

Corporates issuance remains on life support... Only one deal got priced yesterday. The optics were awful... And will probably get worse before getting better... Order book was 1.6 oversubscribed and new issue concession landed at 28 basis... We talked with the NY Times yesterday about corporates, and our view is not good and something the Fed should be watching... But for now companies have good balance sheets, but watch the BBB space...

Fasten your seat belts.. The new trend starts at 8.30 am

"and stimulus is likely at some point as the WH gears up for 2024"

uh, does this guy not realize there is an election in November in which the GOP is going to control at least one half of Congress?!

but they are going to join Biden in more stimulus to help him get elected in 2024?!
BrokeAssAggie
9%

sts7049
AG
whoops, too slow!
BrokeAssAggie
Premium
AG
Looks to be a buying opportunity upcoming
Bob Knights Paper Hands
Remember to consider covering shorts in premarket, boys.

LMCane
BrokeAssAggie said:

9%

9.1%
LMCane
anyone taking into account that the 1 and 2 year bonds...

are now over 3 and the 10 and 30 year are below it?

usually it's just the 2/10 spread- but now all along the yield curve is inverting in the last few hours
Spoony Love
AG
Oh, that premarket candle on SPY is ANGRY!
sts7049
AG
lets see if we can hang onto 3775 area

LMCane
CPI soared 9.1% year over year (vs 8.8% expected and 8.6% inflation rate in May)

The 1.3% month over month rise is the hottest since 2005

9.1% year over year is the hottest since 1981

Services costs are soaring at their fastest since 1991

Source: Bloomberg
Spoony Love
AG
Prog with the solid bump this morning in F16, as expected. Not all heroes wear capes.

Some just expose asinine thinkers as they should be exposed.
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
Spoony Love said:

Prog with the solid bump this morning in F16, as expected. Not all heroes wear capes.

Some just expose asinine thinkers as they should be exposed.
Pouring one out for my financial homie

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
And my TQQQ $27 sell order that missed out by two cents is stinging that much more today...

Oh well. Just glad I had about $33k in dry powder to play with today from my profit taking.

Gonna dump a lot of that back into TQQQ/UPRO today. Already put some in premarket.
First Page Last Page
Page 5552 of 6618

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.