Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

24,029,135 Views | 231617 Replies | Last: 19 sec ago by Quacked
Philip J Fry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What's up with eBay? Only thing green in my watch list.
Ag CPA
AG
SF2004 said:

ProgN said:

Well my take on the current situation is that the bottom is very close after reading posts from today. We have people dumping AAPL, with 300B in cash, today. We have others now ready to cull their portfolios. If posts like this happened in our small group then you can bet your ass millions of families are having this same feeling and conversations tonight. Not to call out anyone here but I'll also add posts definitely saying some stocks will never see their ATHs again. I'm not giving any advice other than remember this when the markets are overextended to the upside and price targets are being raised daily, like 6 months ago. Everyone, including firms and 'experts', are forecasting the apocalypse. I have no issue if you want to sell junk but selling market leaders at these levels are more than likely to give you a double whammy when they rebound. IMO, retail capitulation is very close with people moving their 401Ks because 'they don't want to ride it down to zero'. Spoiler alert, they're not going to zero.

Everything is spot on except for the bold part. There are examples of strong .com bubble companies that are stables now but never reached their ATH from the late 90s.

INTC topped out at $76 in September of '01. The closest it got was $69 during the pandemic pump.

There will be some solid companies that got way overvalued and permanent bag holders were created.
Yep, anyone old enough to remember 2000 knows this. Granted that Microsoft did reattain its ATH after 17 years so there is hope.
Philip J Fry
AG
StonewallAggieDEFENSE said:

I can't understand why we are still at such a high level. Prices are what…still 60% higher that when Trump took over? We have arguably 12-16% real inflation, the most anti- business democrat in office, the worst economy since Carter and yet this stock market continues to be above real value. Someone explain to me why this market isn't 2/3 lower?

We are in the middle of a correction right now. Wake me up when it's over and we are still +60%.
Carioca Corredor
AG
The aviation industry is placing a new company on NYSE via SPAC through Zanite corp.
EVE is mostly backed by Brasilian company Embraer amongst others. Eve is an upward mobility people transporter. Heard last year customers could be the Ubers of the world. Has some solid board members.

https://eveairmobility.com/eve-an-embraer-company-to-list-on-nyse-through-business-combination-with-zanite-acquisition-corp/
ProgN
SF2004 said:

ProgN said:

Well my take on the current situation is that the bottom is very close after reading posts from today. We have people dumping AAPL, with 300B in cash, today. We have others now ready to cull their portfolios. If posts like this happened in our small group then you can bet your ass millions of families are having this same feeling and conversations tonight. Not to call out anyone here but I'll also add posts definitely saying some stocks will never see their ATHs again. I'm not giving any advice other than remember this when the markets are overextended to the upside and price targets are being raised daily, like 6 months ago. Everyone, including firms and 'experts', are forecasting the apocalypse. I have no issue if you want to sell junk but selling market leaders at these levels are more than likely to give you a double whammy when they rebound. IMO, retail capitulation is very close with people moving their 401Ks because 'they don't want to ride it down to zero'. Spoiler alert, they're not going to zero.

Everything is spot on except for the bold part. There are examples of strong .com bubble companies that are stables now but never reached their ATH from the late 90s.

INTC topped out at $76 in September of '01. The closest it got was $69 during the pandemic pump.

There will be some solid companies that got way overvalued and permanent bag holders were created.
True, but that was their own fault because of their arrogance and living off their past dominance, like sip football. They didn't consider AMD a threat but AMD adapted and now is crushing them. They didn't return to ATH because of their piss poor management not the macro markets. Do you honestly think AAPL, MSFT, AMD, NVDA, AMZN, GOOG, etc., have become complacent like INTC? NFLX is a definite candidate to follow the INTC path for the same reasons. Hell, I hate DIS because of their SJW and in your face politics that infect that place, but DIS is so on sale at this price I could hold my nose to park some cash there. I've never invested in FB because I wouldn't be sad if Zuck's plane crashed into a mountain but they better pray their VR investment comes through because as a site, it's on it's way to becoming Myspace. Kids today avoid FB because their parents and grandparents are on it and Instagram doesn't generate near the money for them that FB does/did.
ProgN
Ag CPA said:

SF2004 said:

ProgN said:

Yep, anyone old enough to remember 2000 knows this. Granted that Microsoft did reattain its ATH after 17 years so there is hope.
MSFT adapted, INTC did not.
Bob Knights Paper Hands
I know there were some that lost a lot today, but that TSLA big green candle at 8:54 stopped me out of my puts on a day that I should have minted money. Son of a *******.
irish pete ag06
AG
agdaddy04 said:

So I'm going to be a little vulnerable here. My account went from $900k in November to just over $500k today at closing, as it lost another $37k in value just today. You'll see that many of these could have been sold at profit at one time or another and I kept removing my stop losses out of pride, I don't know but obviously that was stupid. I know I'm not looking for professional advice, but the ones in the second list - should I just cut these loose as it is and go with names that are more well known with better leadership? Here's how it's broken down right now.

Ones I'm not too worried about, it just sucks:
AMZN, down 27% overall and almost 6% of that was today - equates to 21% of my IRA
BTI, down 4%
CWH, down 24%
CZR, down 29%
DIS, down 30% - may want to drop this for other reasons
GOOGL, down 23% - bought right after the split announcement
NVDA, down 34%
OMF, down 29%
PDI, down 8%
PLTR, down 60%
POWW, down 34%
RIG, down 24%
TTD, down 20.5%
WBD, down 29% (this was due to split of T share)
WWR, down 76% but really don't want to let this one go right now

This was due to some high praise on here as a sure thing for a retirement account, but obviously I didn't do the due diligence required
PSAFE that was BFT, down 84% - and this is by far biggest loser in terms of dollars

Probably should just cut ties, but not sure where to put it
ARKK, down 58%
BFLY, down 84%
BODY, down 87%
CHWY, down 67%
CIDM, down 65%
CLOV, down 70% prior to the small AH spike today
CROX, down 34%
CVNA, down 87%
ELOX, down 80% - cashed out the net free shares
FUBO, down 89%
GREE, down 80%
IDRA, down 68%
JUPW, down 47%
LGMK, down 91%
METX, down 92%
NMG, down 40%
NNOX, down 80%
RBLX, down 76% - this was case of FOMO after I initially sold for 35% profit
RGS, down 68%
ROKU, down 69%
SAVA, down 75%
SKLZ, down 94%
SNDL, down 46% - but this is after I took out many net free shares at least
SOFI, down 68%
UPWK, down 58%
VEON, down 74%
ZEST, down 80%

Actually green on:
T, up 1.5%
XOM, up 53.5%
Props for posting this. I had a lot of these in my Roth IRA and cut the bag a while back on most. Off the top of my head CLOV (my biggest stock market loss ever), RBLX, SOFI, PLTR, and even WWR!

I figured the capital could be used better in DCA'ing into AAPL and/or TQQQ. One day in the next decade when the high betas go nucking futs again, I will buy in and sell without even thinking about it. Never marrying any of those little *******s again.
Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX
Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX said:

https://downloads.usda.library.cornell.edu/usda-esmis/files/8336h188j/gm80k152f/34850n40s/prog1822.pdf

Corn Planted (Selected 18 States)
5 Year Average = 15%
As of 4/24/22 = 7%
As of 4/17/22 = 4%
As of 4/24/21 = 16%

Soybean Planted (Selected 18 States)
5 Year Average = 5%
As of 4/24/22 = 3%
As of 4/17/22 = 1%
As of 4/24/21 = 7%

Behind. Keep an eye on cooler temps in upper midwest. Ground needs to be above 50 degrees to plant corn. (We had trace amounts of snow this morning, but should be 60 on Thursday.) Will be a race to get acres planted, rains in the forecast, dry conditions and ground isn't warming fast. Nearby takeaway is bullish.
https://downloads.usda.library.cornell.edu/usda-esmis/files/8336h188j/5712nb460/vt151p581/prog1922.pdf

5 Year Average = 33%
As of 5/1/22 = 14%
As of 4/24/22 = 7%
As of 5/1/21 = 42%

5 Year Average = 15%
As of 5/1/22 = 8%
As of 4/24/22 = 3%
As of 5/1/21 = 22%

Gotta play some real catch up in the coming days.

5 Year Average = 50%
As of 5/8/22 = 22%
As of 5/1/22 = 14%
As of 5/8/21 = 64%

5 Year Average = 24%
As of 5/8/22 = 12%
As of 5/1/22 = 8%
As of 5/8/21 = 39%

Yeah,...we are behind.
Brewmaster
AG
M4 Benelli said:

Any of you cats in PBR? No not Pabst Blue Ribbon, but Petros "Jed Clampet" Brasileiro? I'm seeing a lot of scratching and pining for XOM, but PBR looking tastier, if you're into steak picanha that is.

Market Cap-83 bil vs (XOM's 355bil)
P.E- 4 vs (XOM - P.E 14)
Div Yield -22% (XOM - 4.7%)

FCF for the quarter came in at ~$8.8b, or ~10.2% of the current market cap; free cash flow was reduced by a one-time pension liability payment of $1.3b.

Pursuant to the company's 60% FCF payout policy, which now includes an option for "special" divs, the board authorized an $8.2b dividend for Q2 (9.5% yield) and a $1.5b dividend (1.7% yield) to be paid out of profit reserves -- the total dividend payment equates to ~11.2% of the market cap.

.73 cent special divy also coming in the interim, but ex-div date yet to be announced.

RISK ALERT- Commie s stain Lula De Silva becomes President and iron claws the company to reduce fuel costs for Brazilians. During his first reign of terror, Lula Kabob required Petrobras to sell diesel and gasoline below market prices. The dynamic since has changed at Petrobras (PBR), as Brazil has developed its offshore resources via major partnerships. Brazil is now a major oil exporter. Upcoming election makes the weak spined skiddish, but for those with picanha built spines, a Fogo de Chao esque divy will be served on your plate by a buxom Gauchette.

Full Disclosure- No position, but looking to enter.
hahaha, this man can write. thank you sir, I will check it out! PBR that is.
jj9000
AG
I disagree with overall sentiment.

I haven't heard any talk of liquidating 401k.

This feels nothing like 2008-2009...or early 2000s.

There is no fear b/c people are looking at their portfolio and they're still +50% pre-COVID...so they haven't really lost anything yet. They're playing with house money b/c they saw S&P 2,500 during COVID and they're WAY up from that. I read one instance of AAPL selling, but that wasn't really out of capitulation. When we get to the "I'm putting what I have left into a HY Savings account".... THAT'S the time to buy heavy.
Bob Knights Paper Hands
INTC also got passed in technology by their competitors.
ProgN

https://downloads.usda.library.cornell.edu/usda-esmis/files/8336h188j/gm80k152f/34850n40s/prog1822.pdf

5 Year Average = 15%
As of 4/24/22 = 7%
As of 4/17/22 = 4%
As of 4/24/21 = 16%

5 Year Average = 5%
As of 4/24/22 = 3%
As of 4/17/22 = 1%
As of 4/24/21 = 7%

Behind. Keep an eye on cooler temps in upper midwest. Ground needs to be above 50 degrees to plant corn. (We had trace amounts of snow this morning, but should be 60 on Thursday.) Will be a race to get acres planted, rains in the forecast, dry conditions and ground isn't warming fast. Nearby takeaway is bullish.
https://downloads.usda.library.cornell.edu/usda-esmis/files/8336h188j/5712nb460/vt151p581/prog1922.pdf

5 Year Average = 33%
As of 5/1/22 = 14%
As of 4/24/22 = 7%
As of 5/1/21 = 42%

5 Year Average = 15%
As of 5/1/22 = 8%
As of 4/24/22 = 3%
As of 5/1/21 = 22%

Gotta play some real catch up in the coming days.

5 Year Average = 50%
As of 5/8/22 = 22%
As of 5/1/22 = 14%
As of 5/8/21 = 64%

5 Year Average = 24%
As of 5/8/22 = 12%
As of 5/1/22 = 8%
As of 5/8/21 = 39%

Yeah,...we are behind.

No disrespect intended but I picture you and the Mrs. in 'Green Acres'. I'm old and grew up watching that show. New army will have a WTF moment seeing those gifs.
agdaddy04
AG
Thanks everyone. I thought I had learned a lesson and then got so busy with work that I didn't focus. Obviously got hung up on trying to make a quick buck rather than with companies I understood. I'll get better at it, but dang expensive lesson. At least I'm 40 and not 50. Have a lot of good earning years left too.
agdaddy04
AG
For the ones you say "don't look at it" is there ever a time you'd sell or no?
FJ43

Today may be the first day that I can't decide if I enjoyed reading the thread this evening or not.

Lots of new folks which I love to see. Not sure I've seen so many as in the past few weeks.

But for me I appreciate those that contribute with knowledge, add value to the community or come here to learn and take the journey.

The others....
Wealth gained hastily will dwindle. but whoever gathers little by little will increase it.
Proverbs 13:11

Ag13
AG
ProgN said:

Do you honestly think AAPL, MSFT, AMD, NVDA, AMZN, GOOG, etc., have become complacent like INTC?

These were not the names from the poster's portfolio I was referring to when I said many would never reach their all time highs again. These are good companies with real profits (obviously). It's the spacs and the ark names that got bid up so high for no good fundamental reason that aren't going to approach those heights again unless we happen to have another global pandemic with trillions of stimulus pumped in and people thinking that peloton will sell a bike to every home in America because gyms will be closed forever.
SF2004
AG
Bob Knights Liver said:

INTC also got passed in technology by their competitors.
I am not sure you all understand the history of CPU architecture.

INTC dominated the CPU space until AMD developed Ryzen. They held ~80% market share until around Q1 2019 when AMD started to close.

AMD surging is a recent development.

Even now it isn't that much different and INTC owns 65% market share.
FJ43

I'm just commenting on some holdings without respect to your entire list.

BTI, down 4% - Great stock, paid .6804 div today, long term long.
DIS, down 30% - may want to drop this for other reasons - I am thinking just like you on this one.
GOOGL, down 23% - bought right after the split announcement - I don't look at it.
NVDA, down 34% - I don't look at it
OMF, down 29% - Pays a great div and I supplement income by selling Covered Calls, either a $60 or $65
PDI, down 8% - You'll be breakeven in 4 months or less.
PLTR, down 60% - I like this stock, but sold it. I'll re-enter at some point.
RIG, down 24% - Got rid of.
TTD, down 20.5% - I don't look at it.
WBD, down 29% (this was due to split of T share) - HOLD THIS.
WWR, down 76% but really don't want to let this one go right now - I'm riding to $20 or $0.

In the category...."Probably should just cut ties, but not sure where to put it"
The only ones on that list I own are,
ROKU, down 69% - Very small position and I don't look at it, will keep.
SAVA, down 75% - I will ride this to $100+ or to $0

The Green
T, up 1.5% - HOLD and Add
XOM, up 53.5% - I'm convinced it goes to $105 this year. I have several positions, short term trades and long term holds depending on account. This is an underappreciated O&G stock, IMO.
Farmer I love this post. Much respect brother.
Wealth gained hastily will dwindle. but whoever gathers little by little will increase it.

jj9000
AG
agdaddy04 said:

Thanks everyone. I thought I had learned a lesson and then got so busy with work that I didn't focus. Obviously got hung up on trying to make a quick buck rather than with companies I understood. I'll get better at it, but dang expensive lesson. At least I'm 40 and not 50. Have a lot of good earning years left too.

If you want my 2 cents...after reading what you posted you'd be better off re-deploying your assets into a passively manged Index Fund (VTI/VOO...etc)...and contribute $X per month. You'd be DCA into the fund and wouldn't have to worry about the daily grind of individual stocks. This is not stock advice, just my opinion.
SF2004
AG
jj9000 said:

agdaddy04 said:

If you want my 2 cents...after reading what you posted you'd be better off re-deploying your assets into a passively manged Index Fund (VTI/VOO...etc)...and contribute $X per month. You'd be DCA into the fund and wouldn't have to worry about the daily grind of individual stocks. This is not stock advice, just my opinion.
I don't think this is what this thread is for... i kid i kid.
FJ43
agdaddy04 said:

Easy easy with the 50! For some of us that is in the rear view mirror.

cageybee77
AG
hmm...WBD.....gonna hafta buy me some-o-dat
ProgN
Ag13 said:

ProgN said:

Do you honestly think AAPL, MSFT, AMD, NVDA, AMZN, GOOG, etc., have become complacent like INTC?

These were not the names from the poster's portfolio I was referring to when I said many would never reach their all time highs again. These are good companies with real profits (obviously). It's the spacs and the ark names that got bid up so high for no good fundamental reason that aren't going to approach those heights again unless we happen to have another global pandemic with trillions of stimulus pumped in and people thinking that peloton will sell a bike to every home in America because gyms will be closed forever.
Agreed, and we were saying the same thing. The speculative junk won't participate in the rebound.
Ag CPA
AG
ProgN said:

Ag CPA said:

SF2004 said:

ProgN said:

My smart-ass point is that, yes, MSFT adapted and is now a crown jewel but it took them a generation get recover their losses because of the ridiculous valuation they had in 1999. Look at the stocks we are discussing and think about which ones will take 10+ years to get back to their ATH. Screw the COVID stocks like Zoom, that is a given. Netflix and Meta for example, how long do you think it will take for them to recover?
irish pete ag06
AG
agdaddy04 said:

You're not alone. My ROTH IRA was also plankton sized but it's down nearly 50% from it's February of 2021 high. It is what it is. Live and learn.
BrokeAssAggie
Man, even energy stocks got hammered today
FJ43

Posted this chart before it happened as a warning. I'm just a redneck, chart degenerate, TA trader guy but warned of the potential death cross on the spike and rejection of the 21EMA. Yes all lagging indicators. However it crossed the next day and here we are. As it relates to EMAs look back and see what happens when the 50 crosses the 200.

Where do we stop. Don't know. But said I would be out if it crossed and sit on cash. Long term stuff meh don't care and sold covered calls. But trades I went out. Other than short, since it's tough for me to scalp intraday at the moment.

$30,000 Millionaire
AG
FJ43 said:

Today may be the first day that I can't decide if I enjoyed reading the thread this evening or not.

Lots of new folks which I love to see. Not sure I've seen so many as in the past few weeks.

But for me I appreciate those that contribute with knowledge, add value to the community or come here to learn and take the journey.

The others....

I'm with you. Now I remember why I took an 8 year hiatus from posting about stocks on TexAgs.
You don’t trade for money, you trade for freedom.
irish pete ag06
AG
FJ43 said:

The others....
If you go, take me with you.
RigsTx
AG
$30,000 Millionaire said:

FJ43 said:

The others....

I'm with you. Now I remember why I took an 8 year hiatus from posting about stocks on TexAgs.

I find the information in this thread to be invaluable. I am trying to better allocate my time to be able to trade more regularly. It would be sad if some bad actors ruined this thread.
Ragoo
AG

FJ43 said:

The others....

probably means we are close to a capitulation

Probably needs to last through the summer though to have any steam into the end of the year.
ProgN
Ag CPA said:

ProgN said:

Ag CPA said:

SF2004 said:

ProgN said:

My smart-ass point is that, yes, MSFT adapted and is now a crown jewel but it took them a generation get recover their losses because of the ridiculous valuation they had in 1999. Look at the stocks we are discussing and think about which ones will take 10+ years to get back to their ATH. Screw the COVID stocks like Zoom, that is a given. Netflix and Meta for example, how long do you think it will take for them to recover?
I respect smart ass because I'm smart ass everyday. Meta should comeback faster than NFLX because they've invested heavily in VR. I think they're trying to aggressively adapt because they see that new members are decreasing and older members are leaving or dying off. NFLX is on a more difficult road. A lot will hinge on how their new lower subscription with ads takes off with the public. I hope it's successful because I nibbled on it at $216 but with people cutting back due to inflation, I'm not optimistic. It's a fund fave and should benefit from retail FOMO when the market turns. That said, it's now a trade instead of a plant and I intend to sell it for a small profit. I wasn't anticipating the selling the past 5 trading days and I'm sure that I wasn't the only one.

I wasn't calling you or anyone out with my posts. IMO, investors are scared and when they return to market the bigs will move while the junk will not. I bought 10K shares of WWR the last day or 2 of 2021 because I thought what they do will be apart of the EV craze. I'm not selling it, but I'm not buying anymore because money won't flow into little unknown stocks. If one of the fintwits pump it, then I'll sell it because right now I consider it dead money. That's all I was trying to say.
Post removed:
by user
ProgN

FJ43 said:

The others....

That goes for you too FJ.
First Page Last Page
Page 5390 of 6618

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.