Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

24,037,711 Views | 231639 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by Heineken-Ashi
$30,000 Millionaire
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm surprised the fear is this high.

Nobody saw '08 coming.
You don’t trade for money, you trade for freedom.
irish pete ag06
AG
BaylorSpineGuy said:

Here's some interesting fodder on TWTR this morning. I was actually watching that day and remember it. No idea if this is nonsense or what but at least
For good conversation.

wanderer
jj9000 said:

AG 2000' said:

That goober who sold SPY at 364 is really effing up my charts.
Sorry about that.

I pressed the wrong button.
Triple_Bagger
BTC is up 2.5% today. Risk on?
Next Year Is Our Year
Thanks. I know you are in shares for companies that you believe in but is there a point where you would let them go for a loss? Break a major support level? 50% max loss stop? Anything like that.

Assuming selling cc at these low levels aren't worth it?

Appreciate the help as always!
Bob Knights Paper Hands
Triple_Bagger said:

BTD!!! FOMO!!!
Triple_Bagger
Bob Knights Liver said:

Triple_Bagger said:

BTD!!! FOMO!!!
False alarm....
Dan Scott
AG
It's down 2% now.

Ideal plan for tomorrow is for big gap down, and around 11:30 buy the dip. Market is going to have crazy swings and bottom out Wednesday with fed decision
jimmo
Bob Knights Liver said:

No, I we confirm a reversal upward somehow, I could leg back in on the way up as well. That way I don't jump all back in at the top of a dead cat bounce, but I also do sit in cash during a bull run waiting on that break to the downside.
gotcha
thanks
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
Next Year Is Our Year said:

Thanks. I know you are in shares for companies that you believe in but is there a point where you would let them go for a loss? Break a major support level? 50% max loss stop? Anything like that.

Assuming selling cc at these low levels aren't worth it?

Appreciate the help as always!

If I believe we are going to go down to SPX 3000, I will unload everything. I don't believe that yet.
Dan Scott
AG
Am I thinking about this right?

Before Covid, the DOW got to 24000. That's with interest rates beginning to climb. Since then we printed trillions of dollars and that money has to go somewhere. Pre-Covid market of S&P 500 was about 30T. Today it's about 37T. We printed $7T in last two years so assuming half of it went to stock market then fair value for s&p excluding any growth since Covid is about $34T meaning another 10% is absolute bottom based off those assumptions
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
Multiples and perceived fair value matters.

I have literally never seen fin twit be so bearish. It's like they're acting like we are going to hit 3500 tomorrow. I guess we could, but as soon as the fed admits it can't really raise rates….
ProgN
Then they'll just send Bullard out in front of the cameras pounding the table for 100 basis point hikes.
Bob Knights Paper Hands
jimmo said:

Bob Knights Liver said:

No, I we confirm a reversal upward somehow, I could leg back in on the way up as well. That way I don't jump all back in at the top of a dead cat bounce, but I also do sit in cash during a bull run waiting on that break to the downside.
gotcha
thanks

If you took anything from that steam pile of crap, kudos to you. I should post less before I've had coffee in the mornings.
Ag CPA
AG
$30,000 Millionaire said:

I have literally never seen fin twit be so bearish. It's like they're acting like we are going to hit 3500 tomorrow. I guess we could, but as soon as the fed admits it can't really raise rates….
Why can't it raise rates?
Philip J Fry
AG
Raise interest rates when we are halfway to a recession?
ProgN
Ag CPA said:

Why can't it raise rates?
Debt service on 31T increases with each rate hike. Spending like drunken sailors for the last 20 years has caught up with us.
Bonfire1996
AG
We can significantly raise rates, but we have to drop them within 24 months to a level that we can afford long term.

When you hear pundits talking about the Fed attempting to find equilibrium, where "growth can be achieved and inflation minimized" it's all a smoke screen. Equilibrium is what rate we can afford the debt service on, but not choke back investment and growth into much quicker recession cycles.

If the hawks get their way, and they will, we are in for stagflation then deflation as producers face the prospects of company failure. We are in for a very dark 24 months.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
Bonfire1996 said:

We can significantly raise rates, but we have to drop them within 24 months to a level that we can afford long term.

When you hear pundits talking about the Fed attempting to find equilibrium, where "growth can be achieved and inflation minimized" it's all a smoke screen. Equilibrium is what rate we can afford the debt service on, but not choke back investment and growth into much quicker recession cycles.

If the hawks get their way, and they will, we are in for stagflation then deflation as producers face the prospects of company failure. We are in for a very dark 24 months.

I believe you are a CFO, if I remember right. What do you think about the mid term factor? If you're the admin, do you want inflation plus recession or just inflation?
Whirligigs
Bonfire1996 said:

SBA still offering 3.75% extensions on Covid loans / the questions is - sounds tasty if facing a deflationary environment. The risk is if business still exists.
frankm01
utah, get me two
no bull****, yall think we are going into a recession? tempted to pull money out of brokerage, small loss and just sit in cash
Philip J Fry
AG
Well, we just had our first quarter of negative growth. One common definition is 2 consecutive quarters of negative growth. Another is more nebulous tine frame.
BaylorSpineGuy
That's my guess. Remember, we had a death cross about 2-3 months ago and it's nowhere near crossing back ("golden cross".). I'm no expert tho. The guys in here are much sharper, but this feels like it's not coming to an end any time soon.
PeekingDuck
AG
We are already in a recession, it just isn't official yet.
cctexagMD
AG
What is Oldarmy's discord?
"I wanna go home with the Armadillo."- Gary P. Nunn
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Philip J Fry
AG
Okay, here's some stuff...

First, want to know what the market looks like as a whole? Here's all 8000+ US equities.

Here are what I consider the top 20.

Notice AMR looks like could be poised for a drop if you are looking for a shorting opportunity.

Complete screener location here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1N2qehCQEra2iMLe30YFPaBZfCsjJde2cllgnZPAzoj0/edit?usp=sharing

My picks for the week are:

and

I like them because they are at support levels that they've successfully bounced off from in the past. Makes for an easy stop on quote setting to limit your risk. Looking for an easy +10% here.

EXR is also looking good to me. I'm looking for bad news that would be behind the drop, but I'm not seeing any,

Here's how I'm doing. I royally screwed myself with ZIM. I failed to set a stop on quote limit, it moved pretty quickly down, and I failed to keep track. Ended up costing me quite a bit in my portfolio. Oh well, live and learn.

The main issue I have with the market is the very bearish MACD line we entered a few weeks ago. Be careful and have a a bear and a bull scenario when you plan. It's the best way I know how to limit your risk. Be very intentional about executing your plan and do not deviate. Time to start looking for singles and not grand slams with every trade.
Bonfire1996
AG

Bonfire1996 said:

I believe you are a CFO, if I remember right. What do you think about the mid term factor? If you're the admin, do you want inflation plus recession or just inflation?
I was a CFO for a decade. Now back into banking.

I think the smart folks in govt/Fed know the only way to curb inflation is demand destruction and that's only coming with recession.
BaylorSpineGuy
May be Black Monday? Seems there was a flash crash in NASDAQ NORDIC overnight, mostly recovered now. Get your popcorn ready.

wanderer
You are obviously welcome on the thread but you probably need to dial it back with all the doomsday talk. At least a couple times a week you're cautioning that a Black Monday or Tuesday or Wednesday or Thursday or Friday is looming.
austinAG90
AG
Stocks Meekly Rally...Now Giving It Back... as a Hawkish Powell Looms

Equity market futures tried to rally overnight, but with both London and China closed for May day, the focus was very light... S+P futures hit a high of 4158 at 3 am, but have now given it all back as NY has come in and is now down 15 points... We think equities, after a dismal April, are close to an intermediate bottom, but not today... The focus of the week is clearly Powell and the Fed... If they are uber hawkish and need to get to neutral asap, then it does not matter what neutral is, we are going to have a rough first half of May... WIRP, now has over 10 hikes built in this year, which would bring another 250 basis to fed funds... However, some , like David Folkers-Landaus of DB, have moved their talk of where neutral is from 4% to as high as 6%... The world is not ready for 6% Fed funds... He does hedge himself, but that is the most aggressive...

Rates... Overnight with London closed, the curve mildly bull flattened but moves were small... On Friday you had a big sell off in treasuries even though equities were getting crushed... Our call two weeks ago that the high yields of the year are in, will be challenged this week... Either Powell is middle of the road or aggressive in his Q+A or not... The markets could go either way... Treasuries could sell off on a too aggressive Fed, which would flatten the curve... Or it could rally if rates investors think a recession is imminent... On the other hand a dovish Powell, which the NY Times recommended over the weekend in an editorial, then the curve would steepen... Either way the big move will start approximately 18 hours after the Powell presser and probably peak at the unemployment number Friday... We have near term support for 10 years at 3.01...2.98 was the high... Long bonds 3.03... 5 years 3.05...

Have we seen the bottom of equities?... We were asked that question multiple times over the weekend...Our answer was we think we are getting close on the numbers we look at... But until we see a capitulation trade, we are not ready to do more than stick our toes into the fray.....we heard one podcast over the weekend ,on Macro Voices, where the guest was talking a 50% sell off from the highs, which would put the S+P closer to 3500...THAT IS NOT OUR VIEW...but it is out there, even with sentiment some of the lowest we have ever seen with the bulls at 16.4%

Fed...we expect 50 basis move on Wednesday... And a detailed announcement of the balance sheet run off, which we see starting gradually next month.. The amounts have been predetermined, 60 billion a month on treasuries, and 35 billion a month on mortgage run offs...we saw Larry Summers say the balance sheet run off is worth about 25 basis on rate hikes... Our friends at Brean think 50... We think 100... David Rosenberg thinks 170, but JP Morgan sees it as 210 basis over 4 years... Meaning it will keep the curve steeper... The tone of Powell will be watched carefully...

Central Banks... In the US it seems to us that as high as inflation is, it has peaked and will move down slowly.. The economy is still strong but slowing.. The dollar is strong and will continue.. The ECB is seeing inflation still rising dramatically as their energy costs are soaring... The latest German import prices were higher than 31%...we think the ECB will begrudgingly stop buying but will be slow to raise rates... The BOJ sees their situation very differently with a slower economy and a demographic issue, so they will stay pat buying rates until they own every JGB out there... And China, is beset by Covid supply chain issues that will not resolve quickly, even though China is pulling out the stops about borrowing...so expect the dollar to continue to be strong.

April was an awful month for long only anything funds (except commodities)... BB Global Aggregate bonds was down 6%, US alone down 8%, Nasdaq 100 down 13% (highest in 14 years) and S_P down 9%...we think that will be the biggest monthly numbers we see this year, but it still does not mean the bottom is in.

Maybe we have been watching too many end of the world type moves..but over the weekend we saw multiple stories coming out of Bloomberg concerning the lack of availability of fertilizer due to the war in Ukraine... And that food yields will be down 15-25% across the world... Which means not enough food and famine... We have to do more towards ending the conflict, whatever it takes, or we will be seeing scary food riots globally...
Mas89
AG
Well at least you will be able to say he told me it would happen. It's like we are watching a huge hurricane out in the ocean, not sure when it will make landfall.
Diesel, jet aviation fuel, and many other commodities are at an all time high this morning. Interest rates are rising, while quite a few stocks have bloated P/E ratios over 300.
What could go wrong?
BaylorSpineGuy
I'll scale it back, no problem. Have oral Boards on Saturday so will be studying and in review course all week anyway. But if a 3.5% drop on the S&P in one day isn't bloody or black, not sure what is. Sure would hate to see real capitulation.

Good luck this week fellas. I'll be back in a week or so.
Spoony Love
AG
I'm speaking for myself here, and likely many of those who are inexperienced as myself to stock investment can relate: I'm building up cash for a little while and taking full days off from option investment. Many things seem to be pointing to waiting and enter later this year for some good value.

April blew up my account and it is basically starting over. It wasn't big to begin with but April didn't help. It was a combination of poor discipline and distractions. What lies ahead I am uncomfortable with. I may switch to horse racing if it keeps going this way. At least horse racing is entertaining.
McInnis 03
AG
BaylorSpineGuy said:

May be Black Monday? Seems there was a flash crash in NASDAQ NORDIC overnight, mostly recovered now. Get your popcorn ready.

First Page Last Page
Page 5362 of 6619

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.