Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

24,039,019 Views | 231645 Replies | Last: 26 min ago by ProgN
Charismatic Megafauna
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Between the masked profile picture, bad math and faux outrage i figured it had to be satire. Well executed troll though!
krosch11
AG
I cannot wait !
Michael Cera Palin
AG

I know this is a day old, but I just saw it and hadn't seen it discussed here. Man I hope Elon pulls this out.
austinAG90
AG
One of my parachutes is to go to work with a firm with an office in PR…considering my wife loves the beach we are seriously considering it…kids can come see us and we can come and visit for holidays and a few football games….long time ago when I got to the point I needed a CPA I hired one who had started his career at the IRS and then went out and became a CPA for folks in my profession…his first advice was have the max taken out of every paycheck…back then it was 39+% but his reasoning was the government has no problem paying a refund as long as they had the income in the prior year…thought he was nuts but went along and sure enough it worked plus would cover up some short term gains etc…now days the internet free loan talk is dead….you aren't getting any interest anyway….unfortunately many tax advantages have been taken away such as mortgage interest and property tax breaks and country clubs dues which used to a business expense... I hate taxes…back to the shrimp boil
irish pete ag06
AG
Bob Knights Liver said:

Those CFA cert tests are going to be a *****!
I'll let you know... sometime in the near(ish) future.
aggiedaniel06
AG
This is in response to the UBI discussion:
While it seems counterintuitive to hand out more free money, when it's free money that has got us into this inflationary environment in the first place, here is my reasoning.

With the national debt where it is, the Fed can't get to normalized EFFR of 2.25-2.75 bps without crashing the markets. The annual debt servicing would increase to the tune of around 3 trillion/year.

So if they don't/can't end up raising rates as high as people expect or once they reverse course and start lowering rates at the first sign of serious market turmoil, the only way the bottom half of the economy can survive inflation, without the threat of revolution, is providing them some form of assistance to deal with this inflation.

In fact, these student loan write-offs can be considered somewhat of an indirect form of it.
aggiedaniel06
AG
I don't buy that the main cause for inflation is supply side dynamics. It maybe true for some goods like cars, and now with some commodities and fertilizers due to the Russia war, but there has been severe demand side inflation as well, especially anything luxury.

As an an anecdote, Rolex can't make watches fast enough, not due to supply chain issues, but because the demand growth has increased by over 100% from pre-Covid.

The Fed & government has screwed-up and now wants you to believe it's some supply side imbalance and not their loose and careless policies that caused this. Hence they keep pushing that narrative.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
So, you're saying long $TLT

You don’t trade for money, you trade for freedom.
Bob Knights Paper Hands
Last tax post from me.

Holy ****balls, I did a really great job of booking losses last year. I may have finally found my area of expertise.
Brewmaster
AG
$30,000 Millionaire said:

the government has not really directly assisted the tax payer. They've assisted firms like Blackrock who went and bought up all the rental homes.

If Daniel will oblige, I am curious to get his perspective on how UBI solves inflation challenges. Just a guess, but it could take some heat off of wages because in theory, there would be fewer people searching for jobs.

I'm not an economist, just a value investor at heart and a trader. Volcker stopped it in the 80s with extreme interest rates, which in essence created demand destruction. Stagflation is inevitable, I'm afraid.
Bingo 30k. I'm glad you posted that. It's just a theory of mine, but I think they're also enjoying watching cities turn to garbage (and buying up cheap real estate). I'm thinking SF and NYC for starters. Eventually these will be popular places to live again and they will own a huge stake.
Diggity
AG
You're right... Nobody wants to live in NYC and San Francisco
SoTXAg09
AG
BaylorSpineGuy said:

I got a $29K refund this year. What's my secret, you ask? Buying small caps!

On a side note, have been dealing with horrible trauma these past 10-12 days! I operated the worst thoracic fracture I've seen in 12 yrs last week, and today a young guy came in after a motorcycle crash who has occipitocervical dislocation (AOD), otherwise known as internal decapitation I never liked that term tho. He's getting scheduled for occipitocervical fusion for the morning. Horrible injury.

I've done one or two others in my 3 yrs in practice and the first one I did (almost 2 yrs ago) walked into my office last
Month and is basically normal, so really proud of her outcome.

I'll try to post some pics of the radiographs when I can.

Looking forward to the radiographs.

Saw a dog yesterday yesterday that survived a gunshot wound to the head. Entered proximal and medial to the right eye, destroying that eye, then blew out the back of his right mandible. Of course, it's a dog though, so he'll get to wear a muzzle for 6 weeks and the mandible will heal however it does.
ProgN
SoTXAg09 said:

BaylorSpineGuy said:

On a side note, have been dealing with horrible trauma these past 10-12 days! I operated the worst thoracic fracture I've seen in 12 yrs last week, and today a young guy came in after a motorcycle crash who has occipitocervical dislocation (AOD), otherwise known as internal decapitation I never liked that term tho. He's getting scheduled for occipitocervical fusion for the morning. Horrible injury.

I've done one or two others in my 3 yrs in practice and the first one I did (almost 2 yrs ago) walked into my office last

Saw a dog yesterday yesterday that survived a gunshot wound to the head. Entered proximal and medial to the right eye, destroying that eye, then blew out the back of his right mandible. Of course, it's a dog though, so he'll get to wear a muzzle for 6 weeks and the mandible will heal however it does.
We have 2 vets, I believe Spud1910 is the other, and a surgeon in our clubhouse! That's awesome.

What other kind of folks do we have, I'm just curious. No one has to reply if they'd rather not.
ProgN
FJ43 said:

Let's not talk about taxes. Wrote my check a month ago. Y'all are giving me flashbacks.
BrokeAssAggie
Just got my email from my CPA, my payment is about 60% less than I was anticipating. Feels like I won the lottery.
spud1910
AG
SoTXAg09 said:

BaylorSpineGuy said:

Gunshot wounds can produce some amazing rads.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
On the subject of radiology stories...
I used to kayak some. I was really good at getting in way over my head and somehow coming out clean on creeks and rivers in nc and wv, so a buddy of mine who is a legitimate badass kayaker came out to visit me for spring break and wanted to do wes****er canyon on the Colorado. I'm like hell yeah no problem let's do it. Well long story short we got a late start, was in over my head on big water this time and finally ended up scaring ourselves bad enough that we got out on a bar in the dark somewhere and decided to follow a fenceline in our wetsuits who knows how far to a singlewide out in the desert where a rancher pulled a gun on us, then gave us a ride on his flatbed pickup (on the flatbed part... because we were wet and dirty) to the pullout, where our friends were not waiting for us with the car and beer and a roaring fire, and we ended up chafed and shivering next to a campfire with these other boaters when the conversation turns to jobs.
One of our new bffs says he's a radiologist in Denver. One of our other new bffs says "oh cool, were you there in 95 (don't remember the exact year) and tun across an xray of a dude with a 45 slug lodged in his skull? That's the dude i capped! " Just when you think your bad luck is drying up... turns out the dude was working at a convenience store or something, bad guy came in and had his boss at gunpoint opening the register and homeboy grabs the revolver under the counter and pops him.
FJ43
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
Random thought: I think Ford is about to beat Tesla's ass in the EV game.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
We've got doctors on here with dumb asses like me. We are winning.
krosch11
AG
I'm in healthcare development . PE backed roll ups originally now on the ASC side of things. Likely will head back to PE in a year or so
ProgN

You're far from a dumbass. I like the caliber of people that this thread attracts.

I'm probably wrong but this massive shift to EVs by everyone doesn't interest me at all. I see more of over promising and underdelivering and a lot of consumers will be disappointed. I'll play swings in their stocks but truly investing in them isn't for me.
McInnis 03
AG
ProgN said:

You're far from a dumbass. I like the caliber of people that this thread attracts.

I'm probably wrong but this massive shift to EVs by everyone doesn't interest me at all. I see more of over promising and underdelivering and a lot of consumers will be disappointed. I'll play swings in their stocks but truly investing in them isn't for me.

Buy land. Install nice ****ters, vending machines, and high power car chargers.

Fuel stations of the future.
BrokeAssAggie
I won't by EV for a long time. Have some battery powered lawn equipment and it just doesn't stack up to the gas powered equipment for power and longevity. Vehicles are the same. If you just need a small task or drive 30 miles a day then EVs might work for you.
ProgN
BrokeAssAggie said:

I won't by EV for a long time. Have some battery powered lawn equipment and it just doesn't stack up to the gas powered equipment for power and longevity. Vehicles are the same. If you just need a small task or drive 30 miles a day then EVs might work for you.
Agreed, I just don't see them doing what ICE vehicles can do. Matter of fact, I'll probably "Bobby Boucher" my happy ass around town on my lawnmower before I ever buy one.
BrokeAssAggie

I'm the biggest dumb ass in here. Hard work is the only way I pulled my self out of lower middle class.
ProgN
McInnis 03 said:

ProgN said:

Buy land. Install nice ****ters, vending machines, and high power car chargers.

Fuel stations of the future.
You don't think all these gas station conglomerates like Bucee's, Cefco, 7-11, etc aren't already planning expansions with this in mind?
Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX
Our family estate has a Lot off I-35 at a major intersection if you're ready to turn your dream into reality! (BTW, I think you are spot on)
ProgN
https://www.cnbc.com/2022/04/15/biden-administration-to-resume-leasing-for-oil-and-gas-drilling-on-federal-lands.html

Quote:

The Biden administration said it will resume selling leases to drill for oil and gas on federal lands starting next week, but with a major reduction in the number of acres offered and an increase in the royalties companies must pay to drill.

The Interior Department announced that on Monday it will release a sale notice for leases to drill on 144,000 acres of government land 80 percent less than what was initially being evaluated for potential leasing.

President Joe Biden, who on the campaign trail called for an end to drilling on federal lands, has been looking for ways to temporarily increase U.S. energy production to help drive down the price of gas.

The move comes amid growing pressure for the Biden administration to do more to lower gas prices, with Republicans in particular saying it should allow more drilling.

Industry experts say it would take at least six months to a year before new drilling on federal land would produce additional supply and ultimately bring down the cost of gas, which has emerged as a major midterm election issue.

Why would any O&G company sign on to this without assurances that the EPA or some other agency won't change the rules after the midterms? I'm not in the industry so I'm just genuinely curious because I know some of you on here are.
Ag CPA
AG
BrokeAssAggie said:

The two best purchases I have made the past few years were a battery blower and trimmer; had gas-powered Husqvarna's for several years but eventually spent more time getting them to start instead of actually using them (I know, user issue).

Old enough to remember using electrics with an extension cord so anything cordless is awesome as far as I am concerned.
BrokeAssAggie
If the hydrocarbons are there people will pick up the leases. Fed leases are 10 year terms. Royalty was 1/8, looks like they are bumping that up, but I'm guessing it will still be less than 25%, which is what most fee owners get these days.
ProgN
Ag CPA said:

BrokeAssAggie said:

The two best purchases I have made the past few years were a battery blower and trimmer; had gas-powered Husqvarna's for several years but eventually spent more time getting them to start instead of actually using them (I know, user issue).

Old enough to remember using electrics with an extension cord so anything cordless is awesome as far as I am concerned.
For small engines only buy ethanol free gas if available in your area. If mixed fuel is required, buy the ethanol free fuel from HD, Ace, etc. If your small engine has a gas cutoff switch, use that. Cut the gas and let it burn up what's in the line until it dies, especially if you're putting them up for the winter. Those tips go a long way in making them easy to start when you need them.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
To expand on what brokeass said... since i already took the time to write this up...
So when the blm puts leases up for sale they tell you what lands are available and what the terms of the lease are, including royalty rate (% of production they have to pay the gov). Companies bid the bonus they are willing to pay (price they are willing to pay to get the lease). If they think the lease is economical under the new terms they'll bid on it. The market will tell us real quickly whether or not companies will take federal leases with higher royalties. If they catch as many and high of bids as they did with the lower rates biden will look like a genius (even though those leases may not make it into anybody drill schedule unless oil goes back to 120). If nothing catches a bid the sale the media gets to say the oil companies are greedy and don't care about energy independence
ProgN
BrokeAssAggie said:

If the hydrocarbons are there people will pick up the leases. Fed leases are 10 year terms. Royalty was 1/8, looks like they are bumping that up, but I'm guessing it will still be less than 25%, which is what most fee owners get these days.
Thanks, but what prevents the EPA or a presidential EO from coming in and changing or creating new burdensome regulations on O&G companies? Also, with them pushing this ESG crap on banks it makes it harder for them to get loans. Or am I off base and misinterpreting articles I've read?
ProgN
Charismatic Megafauna said:

To expand on what brokeass said... since i already took the time to write this up...
So when the blm puts leases up for sale they tell you what lands are available and what the terms of the lease are, including royalty rate (% of production they have to pay the gov). Companies bid the bonus they are willing to pay (price they are willing to pay to get the lease). If they think the lease is economical under the new terms they'll bid on it. The market will tell us real quickly whether or not companies will take federal leases with higher royalties. If they catch as many and high of bids as they did with the lower rates biden will look like a genius (even though those leases may not make it into anybody drill schedule unless oil goes back to 120). If nothing catches a bid the sale the media gets to say the oil companies are greedy and don't care about energy independence
Thanks, I'm learning on the fly thanks to y'all in the industry.
First Page Last Page
Page 5299 of 6619

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.