Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

24,030,725 Views | 231620 Replies | Last: 20 min ago by Chef Elko
Ag CPA
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ag CPA said:

Dan Scott said:

I don't that's right. They'd have to mark to market like Berkshire does.

Is there a CPA in here?
You are correct, I think they got a $11B gain on the Rivian shares.
And to back up, this investment is MTM because it is now a publicly traded security; the rules are all over the place depending on how liquid an investment is and what your ownership percentage in it is (your control).
Towns03
AG
Dang, I wish I knew all this lingo.
Towns03
AG
It might be time to take a class on trading. Any recs?
Brewmaster
AG
Futures trying to find a bottom
SF2004
AG
Towns03 said:

It might be time to take a class on trading. Any recs?
This thread..

Pay attention of $30K, FJ, and Irish for trading.

ProgN for longer term portfolio management.

OA1 for the next 100x gainer... but be prepared to cry a lot at a red portfolio.

Me for how to blow up your trading account.
BrokeAssAggie
BREwmaster said:

We said don't look at futures!!
gougler08
AG
BrokeAssAggie said:

BREwmaster said:

We said don't look at futures!!

Futures are green right now?
BrokeAssAggie
Saw that too. I think Brew is drunk
Red Rover
AG
It will be interesting to watch Cassava Sciences (SAVA) tomorrow. Open interest on $35-$45 calls is relatively high at 3,863. That represents about 22% of the average day trading volume for shares. Compare that for TSLA or SPY for example, where total cumulative open interest at $900 (TSLA) and $450 (SPY) calls are well below 10% of the average day trading volumes for shares.

The $46 and $47 strikes for tomorrow have an open interest of 682 and 396, but volumes traded today of 432 and 223. That means a lot of that open interest was traded today, so maybe some speculation of a move above. The open interest for the $50 strike is 2,169. If the price moves up to close over $50, a 7.5% increase from where it sits now, the open interest for calls from $35-$50 would represent just above 45% of the average daily volume. That's a pretty sizeable amount and could move the price quickly if even a quarter of those get executed.

Normally that means the hedge funds will short the stock to keep it below $50 and maybe even close below $45. However, with very limited shares available to short (and this stock already big on the FTD list) that may not actually be doable. It would definitely be perfect timing for a WSB type of move. If the price starts marching up, some shorts may get nervous and add a squeeze play to the move. Maybe nothing will happen tomorrow, but with the FDA deadline for the CP coming up this month it will be an entertaining stock to keep an eye on tomorrow.

Also I should add that today Eli Lilly announced that approval and release of donanemab, their AD drug, will be pushed back to late this year or next year. It didn't have the effectiveness that simufalim had in Phase 2 trials, but it's always nice for a competitor to not steal their thunder if Sava releases good preliminary results from the Phase 3 trials this spring or summer.
Red Rover
AG
BrokeAssAggie said:

I think he means if the futures push upwards then it will help reinforce that the bottom is already in. That or maybe he's got a head start on me in the whiskey?
Irish 2.0
Y'all know I'm drunk or stoned 3/4 of the time I post on this thread right?
tlepoC
AG
I just assume that's how you are 3/4 of your life. See forum 16
gougler08
AG
Irish 2.0 said:

Aren't all Irish people?
Irish 2.0
tlepoC said:

I just assume that's how you are 3/4 of your life. See forum 16

SF2004
AG
Irish 2.0 said:

Only 3/4 of the time?
Brewmaster
AG
BrokeAssAggie said:

yeah and trolling you QQQ call holders, lol

had one of these and some Altstadt... damn BVB can brew some fine beer (Brazos Valley Brewing): Slippin into Darkness is an imperial stout brewed with coffee, cacao nibs, and a tiny bit of coconut. and no that is not me pouring after a couple of these, ha!
also fwiw, I think we run up more tomorrow and don't sell til close to close.

Touchless
AG
Irish 2.0 said:

This is why us lolpoors listen to $30k more than you.
Dan Scott
AG
AMZN popped the market. Their numbers were not good. Back out Rivian and it's be crap. I listened to the earnings call and no mention of Rivian which was 75% of their net income.

The stock is probably rallying on the price increase. The stock is still so expensive when you compare PE

AAPL - 29
FB - 17
GOOGL - 25
NFLX - 38
NVDA - 73
AMZN - 54

AMZN will report a quarterly loss for 1Q

I wouldn't be surprised if it slowly gives it all back tomorrow
Dan Scott
AG
Maybe that was too harsh. AWS killed it also
Ragoo
AG
BREwmaster said:

BrokeAssAggie said:

yeah and trolling you QQQ call holders, lol

had one of these and some Altstadt... damn BVB can brew some fine beer (Brazos Valley Brewing): Slippin into Darkness is an imperial stout brewed with coffee, cacao nibs, and a tiny bit of coconut. and no that is not me pouring after a couple of these, ha!
also fwiw, I think we run up more tomorrow and don't sell til close to close.

that will require one trip around watopia
Brewmaster
AG
LOL, already raced today... thursdays are zwift TTT day, did 290w for about 45 minutes, oomph! beers earned!
tailgatetimer10
AG
AWS revenue was up 40%. It's been the only reason Amazon has reported gains the last two quarters

Quote:

While almost 13% of Amazon's total revenue was derived from AWS, some 153% of the company's overall operating income is attributable to cloud, partly because of operating losses in Amazon's international segment.
Irish 2.0
Touchless said:

Irish 2.0 said:

This is why us lolpoors listen to $30k more than you.

Diggity
AG
Even if you back out Rivian, AMZN earnings still came in around $8/share, which is more than double the estimate.

Market may have overreacted a bit but I doubt they give it all back tomorrow.
krosch11
AG
Page 1 of this thread . Not kidding. There's a lot of great info and charts on the first hundred pages.

Also CBOE has free online classes that helped me

Ragoo
AG
BREwmaster said:

LOL, already raced today... thursdays are zwift TTT day, did 290w for about 45 minutes, oomph! beers earned!
jesus dude. How do you crank out those watts?
lobwedgephil
$30,000 Millionaire said:

the value of an investment has zero bearing on EPS unless the company is taking a write down or impairment. Amazon's stake in Rivian would not be reported as a loss unless they impaired. You do need to watch for companies with excessive goodwill, which is intangible value on balance sheets meant to reflect something like the value of a company's brand or pending sales that have not yet materialized.
AMZN included the 12/31 valuation of RIVN as Net Income EPS, it was $100 then.

• Net income increased to $14.3 billion in the fourth quarter, or $27.75 per diluted share, compared with $7.2 billion, or $14.09 per diluted share, in fourth quarter 2020. Fourth quarter 2021 net income includes a pre-tax valuation gain of $11.8 billion included in non-operating income from our common stock investment in Rivian Automotive, Inc., which completed an initial public offering in November.
lobwedgephil
AWS was the lone bright spot, if they weren't down 7% pre ER, they would have sold off hard.

tlepoC
AG
No joke. I winced a bit when I looked at his numbers. I can lay down some power in a Sprint and 1-2 minute power but rapidly drop off from there. FTP is a joke.
Ragoo
AG
tlepoC said:

No joke. I winced a bit when I looked at his numbers. I can lay down some power in a Sprint and 1-2 minute power but rapidly drop off from there. FTP is a joke.
my max output during a .3mile sprint today was over 600w but my average is 175-180
right now.
Bob Knights Paper Hands
Towns03 said:

Dang, I wish I knew all this lingo.

What specifically were you not understanding? I can offer slightly intoxicated answers.
aggiedaniel06
AG
Bob Knights Paper Hands
Daniel, don't feel like you have to censor yourself around us slapdicks.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
Please tell me he was making fun of me. I deserve it
mazag08
AG
Not saying it's going to happen.. but I wouldn't be surprised if Amazon tanks soon.

Chalk it up to the whiskey. If you need me for..

1. Stock advice - Find me on the whiskey thread
2. I lost you money - Find me on the whiskey thread
3. I made you money - Find me on the whiskey thread
4. You hold WWR, CLOV, REI, DNN, VEON, IMMR, WATT, PROG, ENG, DPW (oh forgot.. ****ing Nile. **** you you piece of **** **** sucker awful stock).. we're gonna win. This is the 5* recruiting class. Check back in 3 years. If I'm wrong, blame Jimbo.
First Page Last Page
Page 4977 of 6618

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.