Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

24,040,796 Views | 231649 Replies | Last: 23 min ago by ProgN
I bleed maroon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Touchless said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

McInnis 03 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Wait, was there a dividend announcement for GOOGL?
"Split as dividend"
What exactly does that mean? Honestly never heard of that before and no idea how that works.
If I have 4 shares, I sure as hell hope it doesn't mean my 76 other shares will come in as a dividend.
My assumption is they are doing the split in place of a dividend? So you wouldn't be taxed on it like you would a dividend. Giving shareholder value through the split instead of dividend.
This is actually the closest guess so far, but still off a bit.

This is a simple stock split, which means there is zero additional value created - it's simple window dressing, and has no financial impact whatsoever. It's not a stock dividend, which is a different thing entirely.

People get wrapped around the axle on splits because they're a self-fulfilling prophecy - - good companies' stocks go up and tend to split more often, therefore stock splits are "valuable". Companies whose shares trade in the same range have no need to split, and are "less valuable".

There are some tangible benefits to stock splits, such as it's marginally easier to sell part of your lot (although this is much less meaningful in today's fractional share trading capable environment). In options buying and writing, it definitely makes a difference, and makes more trading strategies accessible to retail traders.

Example: I own 10 shares of GOOGL (bought in 2018 for $991/share). After the split, I will own 200 shares. This will make it easier for me to write covered calls on 100 or 200 shares of GOOGL, which is a good thing for me (I will probably do so sometime soon after the split). I can't write a covered call on 10 shares, currently.

Long story short - - good companies tend to split their stock due to price appreciation. Splits themselves have no intrinsic value.
Irish 2.0
Engine10 said:

agdaddy04 said:

Jet Black said:

Would it make sense to buy one share of Google at the open tomorrow?

Why not do it tonight? GOOGL trades pretty late I believe

Gotta think huge gap up gets sold back a little. We're +250 from the news lol but who knows

They're not selling a split much. Look what happened to TSLA when they announced their split. GOOGL institutional owners are going to suck retail in and then drop the hammer post split most likely. Still five months away from splitting too I believe
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Thanks for the breakdown. Sounds like a standard split, so I'm not sure why the "as dividend" is even used. That threw me off.
Talon2DSO
AG
Irish 2.0 said:

Engine10 said:

agdaddy04 said:

Jet Black said:

Gotta think huge gap up gets sold back a little. We're +250 from the news lol but who knows

They're not selling a split much. Look what happened to TSLA when they announced their split. GOOGL institutional owners are going to suck retail in and then drop the hammer post split most likely. Still five months away from splitting too I believe

What do you mean "drop the hammer"
Irish 2.0
Talon2DSO said:

Irish 2.0 said:

Engine10 said:

agdaddy04 said:

Jet Black said:

There's going to be a lot of retail jumping into GOOGL at highs over the next couple months. I could see a decent pullback after the split happens
2wealfth Man
AG
Max Stonetrail said:

2wealfth Man said:

Xilinx now up $19 share after hours. Merger arbitrage play is shaping up to be spectacular.
XLNX holders get 1.7ish AMD shares per share. That makes $218ish the price.
Yeah, Xilinx popped up pretty quickly there after AMD announced. I got Xilinx when market exchange rate was about 1.49 (XLMK $169/AMD $113). All the better, funded a portion of the Xilinx purchase with proceeds from shorting shares of AMD.
Engine10
AG
Agree, but fug it I'm in for 5 for now haha
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
look at the NVDA split.
Ragoo
AG
I am rather upset. I believe with the sell off the last couple of weeks Fidelity turned off margin.

I had several put spreads I sold for premium working. They have out to March expiry. A couple of weeks ago I bought 1/23 AMD $100c leaps.

My "risk" on my put spread was on margin. Although I have a couple of positions I intend to liquidate if I would be assignment risk at expiry.

Well fidelity liquidated my AMD leaps today around noon. They did this to free up cash to cover my put spread "risk". No warning nothing. Wasn't an issue last week but it was today. Of course today was also AMD earnings which is why I bought the calls to begin with.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
Ragoo said:

I am rather upset. I believe with the sell off the last couple of weeks Fidelity turned off margin.

I had several put spreads I sold for premium working. They have out to March expiry. A couple of weeks ago I bought 1/23 AMD $100c leaps.

My "risk" on my put spread was on margin. Although I have a couple of positions I intend to liquidate if I would be assignment risk at expiry.

Well fidelity liquidated my AMD leaps today around noon. They did this to free up cash to cover my put spread "risk". No warning nothing. Wasn't an issue last week but it was today. Of course today was also AMD earnings which is why I bought the calls to begin with.
I am planning on moving more of my portfolio to TOS/TD.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
Fidelity sold expiring ITM SPY 0DTE calls I had around noon one day that I wanted to hold until close. I have more than $1M in the account. It cost me profit.
MaroonDynasty
Irish 2.0 said:

Talon2DSO said:

Irish 2.0 said:

Engine10 said:

agdaddy04 said:

Jet Black said:

There's going to be a lot of retail jumping into GOOGL at highs over the next couple months. I could see a decent pullback after the split happens

Depends could be like TTD, TTD doubled after the split it just depends on how big money wants to play it.

Other big implication for GOOGL is this opens them up for possible inclusion into the DOW. I wonder who would get the boot.
MaroonDynasty
That's terrible.
Ragoo
AG
$30,000 Millionaire said:

Fidelity sold expiring ITM SPY 0DTE calls I had around noon one day that I wanted to hold until close. I have more than $1M in the account. It cost me profit.
it makes no sense. I have 6+ weeks left. If it am going to get assigned sure fine liquidate. Hasn't been an issue before. I got assigned $70k in stock holding long calls at expiry. They didn't sell my calls they executed purchase of the shares long - on margin. This was over the summer. I freaked out and covered with cash because I didn't want that much on margin. But this feels shady. Like they wanted the upside.
Irish 2.0
Have you called them?
Ragoo
AG
Irish 2.0 said:

Have you called them?
no. Been busy at work. What would you expect to get from a conversation with them? I can call tomorrow.
Irish 2.0
Ragoo said:

Irish 2.0 said:

Have you called them?
no. Been busy at work. What would you expect to get from a conversation with them? I can call tomorrow.

Have them reverse it and give you your leaps back assuming you've got cash in the account.

If you have stuff besides your trading account with fidelity, call your advisor that covers your IRA(s)
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
Irish 2.0 said:

Have you called them?
Yes. "you didn't have 4.5M in available margin and cash to cover purchasing the shares on the calls if exercised".

Me: Don't you think I'm capable of closing it out myself? Or can you do it at a set time so I'm prepared vs. an arbitrary time? Or even better yet, let me choose vs. you making the decision for me?
Ragoo
AG
I have a 401k and Roth with them too. But I've never spoken to them.
Irish 2.0
Oh, I get it. It sucks. But it's kind of the belly of the beast of using 'margin'. When it's not really your money exposed technically, they get to make the rules. Regardless of how arbitrary they may be
Ragoo
AG
Irish 2.0 said:

Oh, I get it. It sucks. But it's kind of the belly of the beast of using 'margin'. When it's not really your money exposed technically, they get to make the rules. Regardless of how arbitrary they may be
i get that - but a phone call or email or something saying hey if you don't liquidate this amount by this date then we will pick something.
Irish 2.0
Granted mine might be different than yours, but when I log in on Fidelity's website, I've got an advisor that is my POC for my accounts. The person and their contact is in the upper right corner for me.
Irish 2.0
Are there any messages in your fidelity inbox on the website?
Ragoo
AG
I will look. I never log in on desktop. ATP or mobile app only.
agdaddy04
AG
Prog. Wish I would've followed you on MRVL. Great call. Where do you see it going?
Ragoo
AG
No messages
Irish 2.0
That sucks. At least call them. Threaten to move everything if they won't play nice
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
they don't care. like every other large business.
Bob Knights Paper Hands
Do you use their margin calculator to regularly check your margin balance? I thought they were supposed to give you a margin call before liquidating anything, so that you have the ability to choose closing out the put or liquidation shares or other options? I have heard of them liquidating calls on expiration day especially the last hour, but I've never had that happen. I really don't like how they handle sold puts and it's a big enough deal that I'll likely end up moving a portion of my accounts elsewhere so I can more freely sell puts.
FJ43
$30,000 Millionaire said:

IBKR
Wealth gained hastily will dwindle. but whoever gathers little by little will increase it.
Proverbs 13:11

FJ43
Hope y'all degenerates bought VIX puts as a trade at the top.
Wealth gained hastily will dwindle. but whoever gathers little by little will increase it.
Proverbs 13:11

Maximus_Meridius
AG
It's definitely the best for trading hours, but God I hate charting with it…
Bob Knights Paper Hands
FJ43 said:

Hope y'all degenerates bought VIX puts as a trade at the top.

I bought $22 and $21 VIX puts expiring tomorrow. It uses tomorrow's opening price, not today's closing price right? I sold 2/3 of the $22's to go net free. I kept 20 $22s and 150 $21s. I'm hoping for a calm, green AH futures night.
SF2004
AG
Observation over whiskey tonight...

I am noticing that a lot of good solid stocks can stay over bought for several bars (depending on chart, I mostly use the daily). But, when oversold it moves up quickly.

Inverse from more speculative companies. Can stay oversold for a good while but sells off quickly up top.

Am I wrong?

@Irish 2.0 Going back to our AAPL discussion (didn't trade just watched but is was overbought on the hourly) it hasn't really pulled back but just cooled today and looks primed for a run up. Which would easily burn the OTM calls you could have sold for decent premium.
Irish 2.0
The QQQ just reclaimed the 200DMA tonight AH on massive ER beats. No selling of OTM calls are safe right now.

Did you mean naked puts?
First Page Last Page
Page 4958 of 6619

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.