Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

24,054,536 Views | 231689 Replies | Last: 13 min ago by Heineken-Ashi
FJ43
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just my opinion as a redneck sitting in Knoxville....

Singles and doubles...

Love what Prog said and I, as many of you know, love this approach. Scalping is my favorite thing to do but not where my 'money' is in trading. I love it almost to a fault. It is like a big boys video a game to me and I'm not a gamer.

Yes we hit some triples, home runs and grand slams but that wasn't necessarily the trade plan.

If you want to hit singles and doubles consistently have a trade plan. I'm entering here and exiting there and know why. Once you hit your target set a trailing stop and move on.

Just go have fun and don't bet the farm scalping or swing trading.

Wealth gained hastily will dwindle. but whoever gathers little by little will increase it.
Proverbs 13:11

SF2004
AG
What we saw today was pure market manipulation and causes people to lose faith in the system.

ZERO changed from morning to afternoon.

They ran a pump and dump on the entire market.

I need to stop looking at charts and step away... just making me angry thinking about this afternoon.
Bob Knights Paper Hands
Definitely make sure you're head is in the right space. You can't trade with emotion. As Prog mentioned, this is a singles trading market. Get in and take profits or stop out. You lose money if you aren't disciplined. I can tend to go for HR swings too much and that makes this difficult for me too. You'll get it.
ProgN
SF2004 said:

What we saw today was pure market manipulation and causes people to lose faith in the system.

I need to stop looking at charts and step away... just making me angry thinking about this afternoon.
Charts really aren't applicable in a correction. There isn't any support, only fear and emotion. We need peak fear and capitulation from retail to find the bottom. IMO, we are very close. Margin calls are being sent out now by the millions and will fuel more fear and selling. It sucks, but it's a part of the game, don't be in that group, that's what the MM's want.
Ag CPA
AG
SF2004 said:

The markets are trading on emotion; I dumped most of my remaining FANG-type stocks this morning while they were up and I am guessing others are using these bumps to unload assuming that growth and tech is heading further down.
ProgN
SF2004 said:

It's not manipulation as much as it's psychology. Bears have had their asses kicked for over a year, do you really think they're not going to try to exact their pound of flesh from the bulls? You're either fearful or looking for trades, which group you're in is up to you. My advice is to avoid cheap unknown stocks because that's not where money will flow into. Fewer shares in fund favorites will grow your account faster because stocks are the best vehicle to outpace rampant inflation and that's where the money will funnel to. Don't use margin and use options at your own peril.
Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX
^ This
bmks270
AG
Disney PE is over 100.

It's overvalued in my view.

Dan Scott
AG
Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX
According to barchart.com the SPY 200 Day Moving Average is $441.68. Agree with this board that tomorrow gives an early flush from margin accounts that need to even-up. I think that $441.68 will be pretty tough to penetrate below this, but likely it happens. I doubt the market Closes below SPY $441.68 on Friday 1/21/22.

DJIA - Jan 4th Closing High (52 Week Closing High - not intraday high) 36,799.65 and today Closing at 34,715.39 or a 5.664% pullback....so far. Albeit OPEX, I think we're in a health restoring pullback.

For a bear market or recession, a lot of factors go into both, but for quick hits, the market needs a pullback of 20% or greater of Closing High(36,799.65 from 1/4/22) to a Closing Low(that would be ~29,439.72). As for recession, the U.S. continues in economic expansion even with supply chain issues and I do not see this changing in 2022. As an economic expansion ends and there are prolonged yield curve inversions it finalizes with recession. Short term yield inversions (fluctuations) aren't counted. However, prolonged curve inversions and an ending economic expansion cycle can signal a bear market on the horizon(a year to 2 out). I don't see the DJIA dipping and I don't see an end to the U.S. economic expansion, yet.

My plan this evening for tomorrow, I will buy PDI and possibly JNJ (previous post discussion). If Tech looks good, I'll add to my HNDL.
austinAG90
AG
US equity futures are opening up down big again... The Nasdaq, already in corrective territory is now down another 135 points... S+P points down 22.. Both had massive reversals today with the Nasdaq dropping from a 14642 high at 11 am to close at 14140, down 500 points interday... Add another 135 as we write this... The S+P was no better as it dropped 100 points from the high to close.. Add another 22 now... Ultimately we will call it an UGLY close...

Outlook, not good between now and next Wednesday...According to Charlie McElligott of Nomura, said that the S+P had to hold 4507 to prevent the CTA model from flipping short equities... The S+P 100% long signal is flipping 37% short... Treasuries are not open yet but Treasury futures are rallying, well on the way to our 15 basis reversal from the large short positions in treasuries..
Max Stonetrail
ProgN said:

SF2004 said:

It's not manipulation as much as it's psychology. Bears have had their asses kicked for over a year, do you really think they're not going to try to exact their pound of flesh from the bulls? You're either fearful or looking for trades, which group you're in is up to you. My advice is to avoid cheap unknown stocks because that's not where money will flow into. Fewer shares in fund favorites will grow your account faster because stocks are the best vehicle to outpace rampant inflation and that's where the money will funnel to. Don't use margin and use options at your own peril.
Add to that the Fed no longer pumping QE into the market. That is HUGE for the bull side. Also, no more stimmy checks or child tax credit. These kinds of things have contributed to the bull run for a while.

Don't fight the Fed. I hear this over and over and it rings true every time.

Also, yes today sucked, but I bought my first stock in 1994 and this isn't close to the first or tenth or even the hundredth time I've seen it. And we will likely see it again in the next day or week or month.

And it happens in reverse to, we just don't remember it as vividly because the pain hurts and the gain doesn't.
Irish 2.0
If there is one thing I know about OPEX….it is that I know nothing about OPEX…
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
folks, red days happen to the best of us. -$7K for me today. took a long at 4535 - big mistake.
Irish 2.0
Red Rover
AG
austinAG90 said:

Treasuries are not open yet but Treasury futures are rallying, well on the way to our 15 basis reversal from the large short positions in treasuries..

I don't follow Treasury futures. How does this tie in with other investments, such as equities or with yields? How have Treasury futures been behaving through the covid recovery and brrrr balance sheet expansion?
SF2004
AG
Irish 2.0 said:

Is this the capitulation of retail that Prog is talking about?
Bob Knights Paper Hands
Irish 2.0 said:

If there is one thing I know about OPEX….it is that I know nothing about OPEX…

And knowing nothing is half the battle.
Carlo4
AG
How low does Rivian go? Had Covid all week and ignored everything… and just looked at it down 20% this week.
BaylorSpineGuy
I go and do one operation and leave you guys in charge of the market…and I come back and get this?!?

I sold my puts in the morning on the reversal and never got to get back in :-(. Missed some money:-(
Dan Scott
AG
Hard to say. They are pre revenue with $60B valuation
Dan Scott
AG
Trump about to me on Hannity. Let's hear some more about Truth Social please
GTIAG09
AG
Stumbled across this today for WWR. Is this just a nothing burger? Atleast they didn't sell?

Ag CPA
AG
Chad and Dain's tax w/h are excessive (s/b 22%, or 37% max if your non-salary income YTD exceeds $1MM, which it probably does not in January), it's a back-door way to sell shares hoping that nobody notices.
Dan Scott
AG
Futures now have S&P at the 200 ma
jj9000
AG
SF2004 said:

Irish 2.0 said:

Likely not...This looks like a firm exiting their positions.

Capitulation, fear, and desperation go hand-in-hand. We're nowhere near any of those.

I haven't taken note of any real panic selling (yet). Methodical and incessant selling, yes. But, not panic selling.
ryanhnc10
AG
Max Stonetrail said:

ProgN said:

SF2004 said:

Add to that the Fed no longer pumping QE into the market. That is HUGE for the bull side. Also, no more stimmy checks or child tax credit. These kinds of things have contributed to the bull run for a while.

Also, yes today sucked, but I bought my first stock in 1994 and this isn't close to the first or tenth or even the hundredth time I've seen it. And we will likely see it again in the next day or week or month.

And it happens in reverse to, we just don't remember it as vividly because the pain hurts and the gain doesn't.

While this is definitely true, there are also large chunks of stocks that have actually been selling off for 4+ months now. A handful of stocks were propping up the whole market. I don't know what that means for those large chunks that have been selling off for months already
ProgN
Max Stonetrail said:

ProgN said:

SF2004 said:

Your points are correct but I'd add this to your summation. Stocks are the easiest and best vehicle to outpace inflation. I doubt anyone here or anyone at their jobs are decreasing 401K contributions out of their checks. That money will continue to accumulate and will have to be put to work. When that happens, I don't believe it will spread to all stocks, that's why I'm focused on the best of the best. I suggest avoiding cheap relatively unknown stocks and putting your money in the leaders. To get the best return, buy when everyone is afraid before the funds do.
Max Stonetrail
Carlo4 said:

How low does Rivian go? Had Covid all week and ignored everything… and just looked at it down 20% this week.

The real question is are you looking for a trade or an investment? In my opinion, there are probably better trading opportunities out there. New companies with no real production or sales can have all kinds of big surprises happen...

For an investment, I think Rivian is probably a good company and their product is good from what I have read. Like Dan Scott said it's pre revenue. That is an extremely rich valuation for a company without sales. Keep in mind they have been in business since 2009. You can't just build an automotive company overnight. They have a $60B market cap right now. Can they get to $600B in 5 years? 10 years? That's a ten bagger. TSLA hit a billion. I would probably wait for them to report a couple more quarters before committing much money to it. If it gets cheap, maybe pick up a few shares. Since most stock purchases are commission free these days, it doesn't cost any more to buy 100 shares one at a time or all at once.
ProgN
SF2004 said:

Irish 2.0 said:

It's a crack in the dam. I'm confident a ton of margin calls went out today and accounts will have about a business week to satisfy the calls or sell positions to cover. Most retail accounts on margin do not have the funds to meet the margin call so they'll liquidate positions, or the firm will do it for them. Regardless, this will create more selling pressure, thus generating more margin calls adding even more selling pressure. You see the vicious cycle that could ensue? This usually happens near the bottom of a correction. Don't be on margin and ride the storm out, don't get emotional. That's the best advice I can give.
ProgN
BaylorSpineGuy said:

I go and do one operation and leave you guys in charge of the market…and I come back and get this?!?

I sold my puts in the morning on the reversal and never got to get back in :-(. Missed some money:-(
I've started to read your posts in the voice of Benedict Cumberbatch so don't get offended if I call you Dr. Strange. It seems more fitting than Carebear.
Max Stonetrail
ProgN said:

Max Stonetrail said:

ProgN said:

SF2004 said:

Your points are correct but I'd add this to your summation. Stocks are the easiest and best vehicle to outpace inflation. I doubt anyone here or anyone at their jobs are decreasing 401K contributions out of their checks. That money will continue to accumulate and will have to be put to work. When that happens, I don't believe it will spread to all stocks, that's why I'm focused on the best of the best. I suggest avoiding cheap relatively unknown stocks and putting your money in the leaders. To get the best return, buy when everyone is afraid before the funds do.

Totally agree on quality. All those stocks that were so fun to trade this time last year in the Robinhood craze are now sitting at the bottom of people's portfolios, mine included.

I would add be careful even with quality companies like NFLX and their big moves. The drop today looks like a great buying opportunity, and if you picked some up and it pops tomorrow, get out. Take the money. I made mistakes with ROKU and PYPL. Got a good price after a big drop then a good bounce, didn't sell, now bag holding. Those are good companies and they are in my retirement not trading account, so I am comfortable with the years I have to wait. I will admit I hate looking at them for now, but they have hope. SNDL, MBIO, DPW (now NILE), CLOV, dare I say WWR, etc, not so much.

It's easy to get caught up in this thread in the day to day even minute to minute chart action and forget the macro factors that are chart busters like the Fed, the 10 year bond's affect on tech, inflows from 401ks, Fed actions.
ProgN
Max Stonetrail said:

ProgN said:

Max Stonetrail said:

ProgN said:

SF2004 said:

Totally agree on quality. All those stocks that were so fun to trade this time last year in the Robinhood craze are now sitting at the bottom of people's portfolios, mine included.

I would add be careful even with quality companies like NFLX and their big moves. The drop today looks like a great buying opportunity, and if you picked some up and it pops tomorrow, get out. Take the money. I made mistakes with ROKU and PYPL. Got a good price after a big drop then a good bounce, didn't sell, now bag holding. Those are good companies and they are in my retirement not trading account, so I am comfortable with the years I have to wait. I will admit I hate looking at them for now, but they have hope. SNDL, MBIO, DPW (now NILE), CLOV, dare I say WWR, etc, not so much.

It's easy to get caught up in this thread in the day to day even minute to minute chart action and forget the macro factors that are chart busters like the Fed, the 10 year bond's affect on tech, inflows from 401ks, Fed actions.
I bought WWR the last few days of December but it's a plant and forget about it. I'm accumulating positions in NVDA, more TTD, CZR, and PLTR. I'm confident those 4 will be very profitable for me over the next few weeks/months. I have zero interest in the other stocks you posted but I hope they're profitable for everyone here that's in them.
Brewmaster
AG
SF2004 said:

we haven't had a day with a higher low in what a week plus? plus only 3 green days in January.

Get into FJ's school of put/call scalping and make some big $. You can also buy Mancini's sub and play his levels, they are absolutely nails. Basically when one fails and in downtrend (like early afternoon today), I went long QQQ puts (but was literally watching SPX levels). I cashed out a few minutes before close.

A big dump like this week is a great way to make some $ and offset pain from losing money on commons.

Imagine turning the SPX chart over the last 2 weeks upside down, that's a 350 point bull run. Now just buy puts instead of calls.
lobwedgephil
Inching closer to 200 on ES, one of those I am not sure will be meaningful as everyone is watching for it.
First Page Last Page
Page 4874 of 6620

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.