Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

24,081,366 Views | 231779 Replies | Last: 7 min ago by Brian Earl Spilner
Irish 2.0
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Thanks
Of course it was for that. In what universe did you think it was okay to post a naked man spreading open his butt cheeks on our platform?
Agsquatch
AG
took profits on AMD. super thankful for that one!
BaylorSpineGuy
So how does the wash sale work? If I wanna re-buy a stock, I have to wait 30 days. Or only to let the sale for a loss be counted towards tax for this last year?
emac0002
AG
Wait 30 days
McInnis 03
AG
10K AMD Mar 135C bought for $23MM.....woah.
agdaddy04
AG
Don't want to clutter this up but could you send me information about how to determine if this is a good strategy for my rollover?
Agsquatch
AG
McInnis 03 said:

what's the point to buying ITM calls? Is it purely a leverage/delta play?

If so why not 130c or 145c?
Irish 2.0
Senor Butthead said:

McInnis 03 said:

what's the point to buying ITM calls? Is it purely a leverage/delta play?

If so why not 130c or 145c?
Synthetic longs. Less up fron capital. The deeper ITM you go, the less premium above the trading price you'll pay. I do it fairly often now since I don't trade OTM options anymore
Of course it was for that. In what universe did you think it was okay to post a naked man spreading open his butt cheeks on our platform?
BrokeAssAggie
LCID flagging. I'm adding $42 weekly calls for a day trade.
Agsquatch
AG
makes sense. extrinsic vs intrinsic.
flyingaggie12
AG
I'm jumping in on SOFI
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
BaylorSpineGuy said:

So how does the wash sale work? If I wanna re-buy a stock, I have to wait 30 days. Or only to let the sale for a loss be counted towards tax for this last year?

Correct you can buy back whenever you want, but if you buy back within 30 days you can't use the sale as a tax loss.
Everybody loves a dirt road
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Bought a crwd apr 240c for 6.5
Everybody loves a dirt road
austinAG90
AG
Treasuries Taking It On the Chin.. 7-30 Higher in Yield by 10+ Basis

We knew a sell of treasuries was not far away, we did not expect it out of the shoot today... But since treasuries started trading at 7 am there has been pressure which is quickly turning into a rout as plenty of block sales are putting pressure on the belly and long end of the curve... It seems to be accelerating...the 1.60 support level is not really holding for 10 years, but we are not ready to go to 1.70 just yet... 5 years still holding inside the November high of 1.37... But we are seeing more and more reports of long sellers of treasury futures... And now some significant put buying is coming in...so far equities are holding modest gains... But if the 10 year starts to break towards 1.70 and long bonds 2.06, it may be a rough afternoon for equities.
Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX
I don't have a link per se. Last year I Converted BTI stock from a Rollover IRA to a Roth IRA. The BTI dividend had not paid when I Converted, but I Converted after the BTI Ex-Div date and before BTI pay date. The Div paid to my Rollover IRA. I called Vanguard to ask why they paid Div to Rollover IRA since the shares were sitting in the Roth IRA. My timing on the Conversion was off - Convert shares to Roth before Ex-Div Date and Div pays to Roth. This 2022 tax year, I'll be Converting that 2021 BTI Div as part of the Conversion for 2022 tax year and paying tax on it, all because of my poor uninformed timing. Hope this is clear/makes sense.

I am Converting a **** ton of T today and verified the Conversion/Div payout with Vanguard on 12/31. As long as T shares get Converted to Roth IRA on, or before, January 6th the T Div will pay to the Roth IRA account. It's a sizeable Div for me and I want it tax-free....because I'll be paying Uncle Sam a large sum for the share Conversion transaction. A major part of my long term plan, I am going tax free.
McKinney Ag69
AG
Here are some recent Nancy Pelosi trades I'm thinking of jumping on.

• DIS at 156.38-Purchase made on 12/17/2021 Bought 50 LEAP call options with a strike price of $130 and expiration date of 9/16/2022 totaling $160,000.
  • CRM at 257.40- Purchase made on 12/20/2021-Bought 130 LEAP call options with a strike price of $210 and expiration date of 1/20/2023 totaling $820,000
  • RBLX at 100.52-Purchase made on 12/20/2021-Bought 100 call option with a strike price of $100 and expiration date of 1/20/2021 totaling $275,000
  • MU at 94.94-Purchase made on 12/21/2021-Bought 100 LEAP call options with a strike price of $50 and expiration date of 09/16/2022 totaling $450,000
agdaddy04
AG
Gotcha. I didn't realize you could just pick one stock and convert it. And it doesn't matter that this is a 401k rollover? Guessing you pay current income tax rate on what you're converting though, right?
Agsquatch
AG
agdaddy04 said:

Gotcha. I didn't realize you could just pick one stock and convert it. And it doesn't matter that this is a 401k rollover? Guessing you pay current income tax rate on what you're converting though, right?
yes. i don't know if it has changed since i was in the RIA business, but any withholding you do before age 59.5 is considered a premature distribution and gets the 10% penalty tax. so you get boned for withholding.
Ragoo
AG
McInnis 03 said:

guess I will sell some put spreads against those.
agdaddy04 said:

If the 401k Rollover is still under your old company's umbrella, I don't know how that works. If it is a 401k Rollover that you rolled into your personal control and self manage - you're golden.

I rolled my 401k out from under my old company plan into my personal control. It was easy as both, company and personal account, were at Vanguard (I split business with Vanguard and Fidelity). My old company 401k plan charter with Vanguard has a clause that reads, if my old company wanted to restrict distributions they are allowed to. Basically, you tell Vanguard you want $10,000 from your 401k, but company tells Vanguard that distributions will not exceed $5,000 on an annual basis. Vanguard has to follow the company restriction rule, regardless that it's your money, only because it's still sitting in "the company plan". .... Nice, huh? My advice, get your 401k money out of a company plan if you leave that company.

Pay at current income tax rate - yes - whatever bracket it kicks you into.

Trading,....

RIG - my old notes have OA stating to hold thru January 2022 and be keeping an eye on it until then. Well, it's January 2022, I don't know if OA has issued any statements on RIG, but I'm cuttin' loose if I get back to breakeven. It's at $3.12 and I own at $4.41. I'll likely sell before exiting end of January.
FJ43
Bought SPY 480C weekly at .68

Lotto size since traveling and not able to watch closely.
Wealth gained hastily will dwindle. but whoever gathers little by little will increase it.
Proverbs 13:11

Spoony Love
AG
I'm in for a 1/5 $480C. Hoping it runs later today before close.
BaylorSpineGuy
Looks like your precious BTI is breaking out of a C&H on the 6 mo chart. Appreciate the heads up on this stock. I'm long with shares, options and loving that sweet dividend.
Brewmaster
AG
Challenger 17 said:

Here are some recent Nancy Pelosi trades I'm thinking of jumping on.

• DIS at 156.38-Purchase made on 12/17/2021 Bought 50 LEAP call options with a strike price of $130 and expiration date of 9/16/2022 totaling $160,000.
  • CRM at 257.40- Purchase made on 12/20/2021-Bought 130 LEAP call options with a strike price of $210 and expiration date of 1/20/2023 totaling $820,000
  • RBLX at 100.52-Purchase made on 12/20/2021-Bought 100 call option with a strike price of $100 and expiration date of 1/20/2021 totaling $275,000
  • MU at 94.94-Purchase made on 12/21/2021-Bought 100 LEAP call options with a strike price of $50 and expiration date of 09/16/2022 totaling $450,000

yeah DIS on any pullbacks and sell the rips. I've already done it twice.
BaylorSpineGuy
Opinion question: is it wrong to short your own company as long as you don't have any insider knowledge?

I realize it's poor form, but it's not wrong to make money. Curious for the opinion of the board.

Disclosure: I have not yet done and do not plan to, but curious for everyone's thoughts.
ProgN
McInnis 03 said:

You sure that was a buy? If that was a sell then it's bearish.
ProgN
BaylorSpineGuy said:

Opinion question: is it wrong to short your own company as long as you don't have any insider knowledge?

I realize it's poor form, but it's not wrong to make money. Curious for the opinion of the board.

Disclosure: I have not yet done and do not plan to, but curious for everyone's thoughts.
Because you're a respectable upstanding member of your community, probably. If you were an inside the beltway swamp creature it'd be SOP.

Just kidding, if you have no direct inside information that could be verified via an investigation, it's more than likely legal and I'd do it.
Irish 2.0
flyingaggie12
AG
Why even mess with the potential risks from doing that?

I wouldn't engage in any trades shorter than 60 days with securities related to your company/employer.

So many other stocks to mess around with…
I'd Short and never think twice; however, do not discuss at the workplace with anyone.

Hell, my old company had a knack for selling off assets in industry's at the bottom of their cycles. Me and another employee would buy the stock of the company that acquired the asset(s). When you can not stop ignorance internally find a way to capitalize on it. We did well. (Lot of high powered consulting company's provide bad advice to company's and senior leadership is afraid to reject that advice, especially after you pay big bucks to have them evaluate. And, sometimes....senior leadership will pay high powered consulting firms to have certain decisions rendered..)
tlepoC
AG
I am shorting your company - why shouldn't you?
BrokeAssAggie
CrazyRichAggie said:

LCID flagging. I'm adding $42 weekly calls for a day trade.

Up 50% on these will trim soon
FJ43
Spoony Love said:

I'm in for a 1/5 $480C. Hoping it runs later today before close.

1/7 for me.
Wealth gained hastily will dwindle. but whoever gathers little by little will increase it.
Proverbs 13:11

McInnis 03
AG

Prophet00
AG
Took a quick 50% on these, thanks for the cal out this AM.
First Page Last Page
Page 4796 of 6623

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.