Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

24,088,162 Views | 231833 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by Heineken-Ashi
$30,000 Millionaire
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Real advice: if you can't manage your emotions to take losses, do not ever play options.
You don’t trade for money, you trade for freedom.
BaylorSpineGuy
It's stuck in a channel between 310ish and 350ish for last 4 months. Easy rule for someone swinging is long > 315 and short around 345-50.

Personally, I love my Oculus and play on it every night. I love the walk around putt putt golf game and Wander is one of the best experiences ever. But I generally hate that company and the CEO seems like a slimeball to me.

That said, the Jan 21 call activity is fairly high compared to puts.
Barty Dont Hedge
$30,000 Millionaire said:

Real advice: if you can't manage your emotions to take losses, do not ever play options.
Degenerate gamblers have no emotion.....speaking from personal experience.
Philip J Fry
AG
Re-organizing my 401k portfolio a bit to be more diverse with my investments. Here's what I'm leaning towards:

---Stocks/ETFs----
DVN
EXR
EVC
NAVI
RRC
WWR (I'll pretend I'm not down 43%)
SAVA (Gambling with 10K.)
QQQ

---Mutual Funds---
CPOAX
FCNTX
OALGX
PRBLX

I chose the non-texags stocks based on consistent growth compared to the S&P. Any thoughts? Am I doing anything completely stupid here? I'm like 65% mutual funds.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
Philip J Fry said:

I've done some personal reflection over the break on trading tragedies (tragedies) and I noticed that I'm much more willing to sell for a loss than to sell for a profit. I'll put a stop loss limit at just under known support levels, which almost always gets triggered these days, but I'm not selling when I'm up 20%. I was going for net free, but I think something along the lines of selling 10% of shares for every 10% gain intervals would be better suited to me.

/end diary

The minimum you can have is R:R risk to reward. If you're setting your stop loss at 20%, you need to start taking gains at 20% and not letting a green trade turn red. Net free can be 20% of your contracts.

I always use a stop, even if mental

If you're playing weeklies, entries and risk management is everything. If you're playing longer term options, #1 they're more forgiving relative to price movement, but secondly your cut decisions are typically a close below a support vs just hitting a support.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
If you had a Green Day today, you're ready to be a trader.
ProgN

Real advice: if you can't manage your emotions to take losses, do not ever play options the market is not for you.
FIFY

IMO, the market is the single most powerful vehicle to create life changing wealth with the easiest way to participate. However, it's also ruthless and doesn't give a **** about your feelings. Spoiler alert, you will never be on the right side of every trade, but learn from your costly mistakes and you'll up your winning percentages. If you halfass it then you're gambling and you will lose. If you're not committed to learning it, then get out.

That wasn't directed towards you 30K, but for others here that are more green. Everyone here, including lurkers, have the intelligence to learn and help your loved ones. The decision is yours.
Philip J Fry
AG
I do wish there was an option for stop losses that considered duration. I've lost count the number of time it would hit my limit and then bounce back to normal levels. I suppose that's just me setting the stop too high, but has frustrated me to the point where I don't want to use them.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
I knew that yo. Long equity is easy. Just buy ITOT and go away for a few years.
ProgN
IMO, if your trading in a tax deferred vehicle then you should only be shooting for singles. Don't fall in love with the story or what might happen. If a stock gives you 15-30% quickly, take it and don't look back. Do that for a year and you can thank me later. Your account will explode.
Spoony Love
AG

It started green......
El Quimico
Long time lurker on this board. Much appreciation to the many posters who so generously share their insights.

There hasn't been much discussion about ABUS on this board since the MRNA appeal was upheld. ABUS is one of my long term holds. Added more today.
Barty Dont Hedge

Green Day, what is that? Ohhhhh. The band. I get it. #AmericanIdiot
Philip J Fry
AG
Feels like I haven't had a Green Day since October
BrokeAssAggie
Sounds like Dookie
62strat
AG

My acct is red but wife's is green lol. Saved by tgt and cost.

granted, both accts were plus or minus by 0.25% or less overall.
Ags2013
AG
WWR at $2.03 AH. My gracious.
Diggity
AG
all part of the plan!
Triple_Bagger
FUBO

Considering buying stock in FUBO for a longterm play. Sitting near the 52-week low right now.

Company isn't profitable yet, but they have been growing quickly (Sales doubled this year).

I use it to stream NFL network because it's not available through my cable provider and I started watching other shows on the app as well. I like it.

Thoughts?
FJ43
Man check in and y'all gettin all serious before year end.

Great points made though. There are a number of different types/styles of traders on this forum I have respect for. All sorts of ways to make a dollar and more importantly protect your wealth.

Whether you trade options or not, equities or not, both or not find your lane, whatever you enjoy….then be ruthless about being disciplined.
Wealth gained hastily will dwindle. but whoever gathers little by little will increase it.
Proverbs 13:11

Brewmaster
AG
Triple_Bagger said:

FUBO

Considering buying stock in FUBO for a longterm play. Sitting near the 52-week low right now.

Company isn't profitable yet, but they have been growing quickly (Sales doubled this year).

I use it to stream NFL network because it's not available through my cable provider and I started watching other shows on the app as well. I like it.

Thoughts?

I like it, I don't see them going anywhere. I'm long at these levels. I think it's just received a hair cut like every other growth name. Next week should tell all in my opinion (end of year selling should be over and I think rotation occurs).

I think Irish is long FUBO too, I'm not in his league though!
sts7049
AG
i want to get in on FUBO but i want to see it bottom out first... or at least show some signs of positive life
Brewmaster
AG
FJ43 said:

Man check in and y'all gettin all serious before year end.

Great points made though. There are a number of different types/styles of traders on this forum I have respect for. All sorts of ways to make a dollar and more importantly protect your wealth.

Whether you trade options or not, equities or not, both or not find your lane, whatever you enjoy….then be ruthless about being disciplined.
maybe this will help someone, I'm still not great at this, but I seem to have found a niche in scalping:

I started a scalping account from an account I burned to the ground. I told myself, I will not add a dime to it. I will grow it from the next to nothing that's in it. Scalps only, intraday only, no holding overnight. I've taken profits as little as 3%, rarely do I get more than 20%, lots of 10% gains. I've more than 5x'd that old account and I am going to stick with that plan. No long options overnight, not even if it's 2 months out and there was flow on it, setup is beautiful, I don't care, not holding it!

this has worked well for me. I'm also a bit impulsive, so in a way scalping works for me b/c I'm quick in and out. Most of the time, I play with next week options (not weekly, so less premium burn if I end up holding for a couple hours). I did play ABBV today on crazy weekly flow, but got greedy and got stopped out with a tiny loss (should've taken the 10%!).

one thing drippy (twitter) harps on is buying dips and setting your stops at breakeven. This is a great tool in scalping. Also ditch the PDT account, go cash only, F margin!

You know you can do 1 or 2 cash trades a day for 5 to 10% gains and your account will explode upwards quickly. and occasionally you'll hit an FJ lotto for 50+%!
Philip J Fry
AG
Check out RRC. Looks like it's ripe for a run to me.

SF2004
AG
Things I learned.

Stay away from the **** companies that litter this thread. OA1 is a good guy but few of us can really run our accounts like him.

ELOX, WWR, CLOV... these companies are **** right now.

IMHO trading doesn't work unless the company is fundamentally sound. Meaning that we know that AAPL is a strong anchor in our economy... therefore when they signal being oversold it carries much more weight than if current meme stock is oversold.

What works for me after a year of ups and downs?

Selling naked puts on solid companies when the price action presents itself, selling put verticals on the SPY and QQQ, and the tried and true iron condor at high IV rank on the SPY.

Lastly, discipline is KEY and knowing when to take a loss/profit.
Irish 2.0
Of course it was for that. In what universe did you think it was okay to post a naked man spreading open his butt cheeks on our platform?
tailgatetimer10
AG
When I jump into these, they are a small percentage of my portfolio.
agdaddy04
AG
Would've been a pretty good year if I wouldn't have put a little more than I should've into PSFE (BFT).
RenoAg
Yeah? Well when ELOX and WWR finally make me rich, you don't get to ride in my lambo.
FJ43
Question for this board.....

Are you a trader or an investor?

Full disclosure....I trade the markets in my trading, ROTH, IRA and 401k accounts. . I invest in privately held companies (people) and land.
Wealth gained hastily will dwindle. but whoever gathers little by little will increase it.

FJ43
Not sure if everyone on here has seen this but thought many of you would be interested. This is a very generous group we have here and made me think of y'all.

This is to honor Scimitar who we lost this past year.

https://texags.com/forums/25/topics/3262326

Philip J Fry
AG
401k purchases are investments.

Non retirement accounts are for swing trading and degenerate gambling.
tlepoC
AG
Philip J Fry said:

...degenerate gambling.

FJ43
azul_rain
everyday when i check fidelity
First Page Last Page
Page 4786 of 6624

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.