Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

24,091,007 Views | 231837 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by Swollen Thumb
FTAG 2000
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
ProgN said:

AG 2000' said:

ProgN said:

I'm trading SPY because money is flowing into the mega companies. Small caps that are near their 52 wk low usually underperform during this time of year because people sell to offset gains elsewhere. You could probably dump some now and buy them back Jan 2 at near the same price that you sold them. You'd essentially capture the tax loss and still have the same amount of stock, if you wanted to buy it back.
Can we talk a bit more about this? First time coming into end of year.

If I go back and look at IWM for the last several years, December looks to be an increase the majority of the time.

But I'm guessing that doesn't necessarily apply to all the individual stocks contained therein?

Definitely looking to do some harvesting, but want to be smart about it.

This is only applicable in taxable accounts to don't apply it to tax-deferred accounts.

At the end of the year, you can't really compare IWM to individual stocks. I'll use WWR in this example, but I'm not beating up on it. Let's say you own 2000 shrs of WWR at an average of $10. If you were to sell your position at $3, then you'll have a realized loss of 14K, This loss will offset dollar for dollar against your gains for the year. If you have more in loss, then you can use it to offset $3,000 of ordinary income. Any remaining loss can be carried over into future years.

Now, you have to not buy the stock back until after 30 days or you lose the tax benefit. However, I bet you'll be able to buy those 2000 shares back after 30 days and when their plant comes online, then you can enjoy the ride, but you'll also be able to use that big loss in a positive way for tax purposes.

Disclaimer: I'm not in WWR but if I were, then I'd dump it at $3 and bet I could buy it back at $3 after 30 days.

Hope that helps.
It does, thank you Prog!
cageybee77
AG
MRNA recovering from the dip nicely. Made 3.7% off of the dip so far. Can we do this (MRNA) every day please?
H-town ag
AG
Stop with the WWR selling ... we are gong places.
Ags2013
AG
H-town ag said:

Stop with the WWR selling ... we are gong places.

Appears to be going down
ProgN
SF2004 said:

Am I stupid for cutting my losses on CLOV and WWR to take the tax write off?

These seem like dog **** right now.
I would if is was me because they'll probably be at these prices Jan 2. Then you can buy them back, but also use the loss as a benefit. Why hold it a month when there's almost zero chance of them exploding in December? Book the loss, then use the same amount of money to buy it back.
H-town ag
AG
McInnis 03
AG
Cheddar showing you anything on DIS Jan monthly 140 or 145 strike?
Brewmaster
AG
if AAPL takes out all time highs here, look out! tons of bull flow all day, lots of next week ITM
Irish 2.0
McInnis 03 said:

Cheddar showing you anything on DIS Jan monthly 140 or 145 strike?
Nothing that jumps out as unusual. No whale bets today
Ags2013
AG
FWIW in reference to WWR

McInnis 03
AG
I saw an interesting spread on the 140c (700~ @ $9) and 145C (1000+ @$6) that caught my attention.

Not sure what to make of it with the uneven volume
FTAG 2000
AG
How good historically is the sector seasonality calendar?

Have some RKT and UWMC that I could take losses on now and re-enter in January.

The equity clock shows December as bullish.

gigemJTH12
AG
Ags2013 said:

FWIW in reference to WWR

I have averaged down so many times. I cant invest any more into that stock iwthout being very irresponsible. My price is what it is at this point.
Irish 2.0
Ags2013 said:

FWIW in reference to WWR

Touchless
AG
WWR with the gap to be filled at $2.53 from 9/30/2020. I can see that getting filled before finally being able to climb back up. Just want it to go ahead and flush and get it over with.
Irish 2.0
Cheddar doesn't pick-up and designate spreads. At least I haven't found that feature
FTAG 2000
AG
With WWR - it's been in a downtrend channel for a month now. What's going to be the catalyst between now and EOY? They've announced stuff for Q1 that are milestone and catalyst related, but I haven't seen anything hinting at December news.

I guess you could get another one of those announcements about a deal to buy their graphite like we had, but that was beat down pretty quickly.

Ags2013
AG
Irish 2.0 said:

Ags2013 said:

FWIW in reference to WWR

His commitment to the stock is admirable
Brewmaster
AG
BREwmaster said:

if AAPL takes out all time highs here, look out! tons of bull flow all day, lots of next week ITM

165c lotto might pay here soon, or go next week, less risk
azul_rain
Got rid of the last of my Disney, I hope the mouse kingdom falls
ProgN
Ags2013 said:

Irish 2.0 said:

Ags2013 said:

FWIW in reference to WWR

His commitment to the stock is admirable
I like it's prospects and I plan on buying a block closer to the end of the year. That'll be my first foray into it.
azul_rain
Moderna and Pfizer look attractive but too high, see a dip in them soon?
HoustonAg2014
AG
I've been adding to WWR for months as it has fallen. Like heavy and then it drops 5% then it falls. Then I add and it falls. I really want to know what the hell is going on here. I mean we had the "load up before it takes off" then it bounced 15% the. Dropped 30%. I'm in it for the long run, but it's had like 4 Green Day's in the last 4 months. Even with good news the stock drops. I'm hoping it's retail selling.

The mass accumulation stocks have taken a beating… It's just been a hard 6 months. If I loved it at $4 I should really love it at $2.80 but I mean it just keeps falling lol.

End of rant. Still believe in the company but the stock is annoying
Spoony Love
AG
BREwmaster said:

BREwmaster said:

I picked up some 12/10 165C on Friday near the bottom. I am out of them as I was greedy for the gains. Should have waited.
Philip J Fry
AG
EVC with a big gap fill today. Onward and upward.
ProgN
Aggiesincebirth said:

I've been adding to WWR for months as it has fallen. Like heavy and then it drops 5% then it falls. Then I add and it falls. I really want to know what the hell is going on here. I mean we had the "load up before it takes off" then it bounced 15% the. Dropped 30%. I'm in it for the long run, but it's had like 4 Green Day's in the last 4 months. Even with good news the stock drops. I'm hoping it's retail selling.

The mass accumulation stocks have taken a beating… It's just been a hard 6 months. If I loved it at $4 I should really love it at $2.80 but I mean it just keeps falling lol.

Don't expect it or any stocks at their 52 wk lows to show any strength until Jan '22. Those are the stocks people cull for tax losses. That's why I'm waiting to buy until the last week of December. The downside pressure over the next few weeks isn't indicative of their potential. It's just tax reasons.
McInnis 03
AG
AG 2000' said:

How good historically is the sector seasonality calendar?

Have some RKT and UWMC that I could take losses on now and re-enter in January.

The equity clock shows December as bullish.

Irish 2.0
ProgN said:

Aggiesincebirth said:

Don't expect it or any stocks at their 52 wk lows to show any strength until Jan '22. Those are the stocks people cull for tax losses. That's why I'm waiting to buy until the last week of December. The downside pressure over the next few weeks isn't indicative of their potential. It's just tax reasons.
December is naked put month for me...
ProgN
It's usually the same for me but I'm not very optimistic for earning season. I could see a ton of companies crush earnings but forward guidance will be what the street will focus on. I can see companies beat handily and then get crushed after the earnings call.
HoustonAg2014
AG
ProgN said:

Aggiesincebirth said:

Very fair and appreciate the level headdedness. I think the fear is that we sell then it goes up 20% and you start chasing it. That's the thing I don't want to do.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Thoughts on jumping into NVDA at $322? (Vs AMD, QQQ or other tech stocks?)
FTAG 2000
AG
ProgN said:

Aggiesincebirth said:

Appreciate all this guidance. Going out to harvest today.
Brewmaster
AG
Spoony Love said:

BREwmaster said:

BREwmaster said:

I picked up some 12/10 165C on Friday near the bottom. I am out of them as I was greedy for the gains. Should have waited.
these levels are mind boggling:

BlueTaze
I get the macro flows aspect out of small caps in a downturn. But WWR seems well positioned with pilot confirming business model and construction of full scale production plant next year. With the dems dumping money into electrification and China becoming more of a graphite supply risk, seems relatively safe.

Of course nothing is guaranteed....but seems like an outlier to the other small caps with different timelines and head winds.

Been adding lately so #confirmationBias
Irish 2.0
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Thoughts on jumping into NVDA at $322? (Vs AMD, QQQ or other tech stocks?)

I'd hold off personally. It put in a lower low today on the daily and tagged the 10DMA. If it gives up the 10DMA (today's low basically), the next supply is 313 and then 310. Gives up the 310 area and it will close the gap at 305.1 most likely
First Page Last Page
Page 4692 of 6624

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.