Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

24,017,168 Views | 231616 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by ProgN
Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Shoot! That happens every night. I walk in the bedroom hot and ready to go with a glow stick. She rolls over and says "Cut out that light - I'm trying to sleep!"
Slappy007
AG
Ranger222 said:

really really liking SNOW here....if the overall market can churn higher from here I think it'll take off and be a leader.

Was looking at OI....I'm thinking DEC 400 Cs could be a fun way to play with time
This looks great.
FJ43
BlueTaze
La Bamba said:

gig em 02 said:

La Bamba said:

DATS another Zack Morris treasure. He completes me.

Celebrating others losses makes you an *******.

It went from $8 to $16, Zack isn't the one losing on this one.

I'm not celebrating others' losses. I hate the fact that people buy on his plays late and get squashed. I don't like pumpers and he is a prime pumper. Tell me, do you think a Bitcoin chat company is worthwhile? Or CEI which two years ago pretended to be a Permian driller and has reverse split a thousand times is worthwhile? Now all of a sudden it's a carbon capture company…
All ZM does is pump and most people get hurt because of it. Im not celebrating that at all, and I've been pretty vocal about my disdain for that type of fintwit personality.

Clearly the fundamentals of both are greatly overhyped. But isnt the risk reward profile much better for getting in Zacks pumps early and then jumping off? As opposed to trying to time the fade?

I know you are scalping without holding over night. But I think CEI at least, will trickle down with low volume, but eventually have another big run that will blow away weeks of short day trades.

But either way it's trading, not personal, so kudos to whoever makes money.

*Also, Camber CEO said he thinks "shorting should be illegal". Maybe he meant a coordinated inside short trade before a public drop of short report. But if he is talking about just shorting in general, then he is an absolute moron.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
NRD09 said:

NRD09 said:

Buying crwd december 270 calls here

Up 48% on these so far and she's on fire!

Solid day...sold the last of these today and sold expiring weeklies on my shares. Some partnership announced. Plenty of time to reload on a dip before earnings run up. 300 is coming!
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
I think shorting should be illegal. Borrowing shares from someone (unbeknownst to them) for the purpose of dumping them on the market to drive the price down sounds like the definition of manipulation. Am i a moron?
Triple_Bagger
NRD09 said:

I think shorting should be illegal. Borrowing shares from someone (unbeknownst to them) for the purpose of dumping them on the market to drive the price down sounds like the definition of manipulation. Am i a moron?
My thoughts on the topic:
1) Your shares are only borrowed if you have margin enabled on your account. Margin is your broker loaning you interest free money. In return, they get to loan your shares out and collect interest on the loaned shares. Think of it similar to how banks work.
2) Shorting allows you to make money on downward movements. Without the ability to short, you would only make money when stocks go up. Why would you takeaway 50% of your potential profit?
3) Short selling has been around longer than any of us, so don't expect it to go away anytime soon.
ProgN
NRD09 said:

Usually firms only can loan out shares to be shorted for purchases made on margin. If you could mobilize everyone to move their purchases into a cash account, thus fully paid for, it would generate a hell of a squeeze. That's what the rules were many moons ago when I was in the industry and not sure if it's still the same. If you buy a stock on margin, then technically you don't have full control of it, thus permitting the MM to loan them out and make interest on both sides of that trade.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Apparently I'm a moron.

Didn't know the margin part, that's interesting. There are several options strategies to make money on a declining stock price without shorting though.
ProgN
NRD09 said:

Apparently I'm a moron.

Didn't know the margin part, that's interesting. There are several options strategies to make money on a declining stock price without shorting though.
Big short sellers compound their gains with options in addition to shorting the stock. Look back in this thread when SAVA was trading around $120+ going into a big announcement. Someone sold a big block of 100c and collected a huge premium. I believe that was the main short that's been crushing the stock. He probably was buying puts at the same time. He then shorted the stock, thus banking the call premium and his puts exploded in value in addition to the short value with the fall of the stock. He should burn in the 7th realm of hell and have demons rip his balls off for eternity, but that's just my opinion.
Triple_Bagger
NRD09 said:

Apparently I'm a moron.

You're not a moron, the stock market is a complicated place.

There are other ways to make money on downward movements, but not everyone likes to use option contracts. Option contracts cost commissions and you have theta decay to worry about.

I've been burned before by short sellers going after a stock I'm long, but these "short attacks" only work if the stock is weak. If the stock is strong, buyers will absorb all of the short shares leaving the shorts to cover at a loss and driving up the price. If your investment gets crushed by short sellers, it's likely the stock would have dropped eventually on its own. Short sellers just speed up the drop.
cjo03
AG
cjo03 said:

NRD09 said:

I've heard that before (mostly on twits: "put a high sell order so they can't lend your shares!") and I've heard it refuted. Would be interesting to know the truth. I have a buddy who's brokerage (don't know which) requests permission (and pays interest) for them to lend out his shares, but I've never gotten such an offer.

If you have a sell order on your shares you can't sell covered calls against them, can you?

Fidelity does it through their "Fully Paid Lending" program.. the only position I have eligible for it is WWR and they're offering 2.875%

https://www.fidelity.com/trading/fully-paid-lending

Just looked back at this... I am firmly in the bottom 0.1% of savvy traders on this forum - but is another way brokers control exposure to squeeze plays?

None of these are new positions for me (and most are relatively small net free positions from earlier in the year). None of them were on the list of available to lend when I made the prior post. Rate for WWR went up and others showed up:

• "* The lending interest rate is based on the relative value of the loaned security, which is determined by several factors including borrowing demand and short selling, and general market conditions."

Since most are net free that I am sitting tight with, why would I not participate?
BlueTaze
I'm with you on all the shady stuff with shorting. Including what Kersdale capital did calling a bunch of sell side funds to tip them off to a secret short report to be publicized. They short and load up on puts and sell calls the day CEI trades options, then the very next day the short report drops triggering a predictable chain reaction of stops. That should probably be illegal, although I would rather them get squeezed. I also think transparency in public fillings should be same on short side, as it is on long side. That's a big one. Also, SEC needs to enforce illegal naked shorting.

BUT-Anyone who believes shorting in general should be illegal is misinformed at best. It's necessary to market liquidity and efficiency.

Anyway. I'll leave it there. Don't want to send this thread down rabbit hole.
TChaney
cjo03 said:

cjo03 said:

NRD09 said:

I've heard that before (mostly on twits: "put a high sell order so they can't lend your shares!") and I've heard it refuted. Would be interesting to know the truth. I have a buddy who's brokerage (don't know which) requests permission (and pays interest) for them to lend out his shares, but I've never gotten such an offer.

If you have a sell order on your shares you can't sell covered calls against them, can you?

Fidelity does it through their "Fully Paid Lending" program.. the only position I have eligible for it is WWR and they're offering 2.875%

Just looked back at this... I am firmly in the bottom 0.1% of savvy traders on this forum - but is another way brokers control exposure to squeeze plays?

None of these are new positions for me (and most are relatively small net free positions from earlier in the year). None of them were on the list of available to lend when I made the prior post. Rate for WWR went up and others showed up:

• "* The lending interest rate is based on the relative value of the loaned security, which is determined by several factors including borrowing demand and short selling, and general market conditions."

Since most are net free that I am sitting tight with, why would I not participate?
I'm even lower on the savvy scale... probably the .01%.

Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong.
But loaning your shares benefits someone that is trying to bring the price of the stock down.

That seems to me like you are fighting a war. The other guys are running low on ammo. They promise to pay you back 3 rounds for every 100 you lend them, of course they will still owe you the 100 rounds as well at some later date.

You better be sure you can win the war when it is all said and done but why take the risk?
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
BlueTaze said:

..misinformed at best.

You're too kind!
Appreciate the education guys, as far as I'm concerned there's nothing wrong with some tangents when the market's closed.
ProgN
TChaney said:

cjo03 said:

cjo03 said:

NRD09 said:

I'm even lower on the savvy scale... probably the .01%.

Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong.
But loaning your shares benefits someone that is trying to bring the price of the stock down.

That seems to me like you are fighting a war. The other guys are running low on ammo. They promise to pay you back 3 rounds for every 100 you lend them, of course they will still owe you the 100 rounds as well at some later date.

You better be sure you can win the war when it is all said and done but why take the risk?
If you buy your shares in a margin account then you have zero say on the firm loaning those shares out for shorts.
agdaddy04
AG
Who else is still in NXTD? Vote is due tomorrow on the two reverse split proposals regarding Nasdaq delisting. Guessing this is one in need to bail on?
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
NRD09 said:

Have we discussed izozf?
New painless mammogram technology, 2nd goalpost today (1st on Jan 22)
88 cents. Gitcha sum

Izozf low key killing it lately. 6 month cup? Maybe something good coming?
BaylorSpineGuy
I'll have my Radiology friend do some DD/background work and see what he thinks.
Charismatic Megafauna
jwhitlock3
I thought in order to do option spreads margin was required? Is that not the case?

I'd be happy to go to a cash account but I trade a lot of spreads and thought there wasn't another way. Somebody learn me.
Triple_Bagger

Any guesses on where our PPI numbers are tomorrow? I assume they will be similar to China's. Does PPI typically rise before CPI?
ProgN
BaylorSpineGuy said:

I'll have my Radiology friend do some DD/background work and see what he thinks.
You know you're a stud surgeon when he sends his peeps to research stock tips and then shares it with us. I'm glad you're a member of our clubhouse doc.
ProgN
PPI increases lead CPI increases. Inflation is here, it's not transitory, and it's only going to get worse.
BaylorSpineGuy
You guys are awesome! We all cause the tide to rise. You guys help me more than the other way around.
ProgN
BaylorSpineGuy said:

You guys are awesome! We all cause the tide to rise. You guys help me more than the other way around.
I know doc and if you don't know by now, I love to laugh and mess with people. It's all in good fun. This is my favorite board/thread that I visit the most. We're all happy you're with us and I hope the Bears skull **** the horns in a few weeks.
BaylorSpineGuy
I loved and hated playing you guys. You always had our number. I was at the 35-34 game in 2004. Nearly the only redeeming aspect of Guy Morriss's tenure sadly. The next year OT game in CS was equally a great game (16-13 and Courtney Lewis had a TD in overtime to our FG). Was there for that as well. You guys have an amazing game day atmosphere.

You all should check out our new stadium tho. It's pretty awesome too. One of my friends has a sail gate slip and a party boat he keeps there. Good tailgating scene in Waco on game day now.
ProgN
BaylorSpineGuy said:

I loved and hated playing you guys. You always had our number. I was at the 35-34 game in 2004. Nearly the only redeeming aspect of Guy Morriss's tenure sadly. The next year OT game in CS was equally a great game (16-13 and Courtney Lewis had a TD in overtime to our FG). Was there for that as well. You guys have an amazing game day atmosphere.

You all should check out our new stadium tho. It's pretty awesome too. One of my friends has a sail gate slip and a party boat he keeps there. Good tailgating scene in Waco on game day now.
If I don't have my son that Saturday then I might make the short drive to Waco to cheer for the Bears against sip.
McInnis 03
AG
BaylorSpineGuy said:

I was there too. That game ALMOST left me hating "enter sandman" as that was the bear entrance music......and I was some kind of sour after that.
Decay
AG
Man that brings back awful memories, thanks. Second only to the excruciating pain of driving I-35 between the hours of 7AM-10PM from DFW to Austin.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
I'm going to sell puts in this.

You don’t trade for money, you trade for freedom.
agdaddy04
AG
I had bought some shares a little while back in this one. What are your thoughts on it in the next few months?
cheeky
AG
I don't have the time to follow the volume of posts on this thread, but just curious how the big three stock ideas on this board look going forward? Sava, West Water and some biotech firm as I recall? I added them to my screen early in the year and basically, except for the brief run up in Sava, they are sucking hind tit. So what is the consensus view on these dogs of late?
ProgN
What timeframe are you considering selling puts? I like the play depending on the timeframe. If the supply chain issues get resolved like the vegetable spoke about today are true, then selling puts on CHWY looks like free money to me.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
ProgN said:

What timeframe are you considering selling puts? I like the play depending on the timeframe. If the supply chain issues get resolved like the vegetable spoke about today are true, then selling puts on CHWY looks like free money to me.

Will probably multi prong it. Next week 62s look like a smart play.
You don’t trade for money, you trade for freedom.
First Page Last Page
Page 4549 of 6618

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.