Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

24,028,741 Views | 231616 Replies | Last: 8 hrs ago by ProgN
FJ43
How long do you want to ignore this user?
NRD09 said:

Mornin FJ!
Jpow goes on at 10 right? Chop then rip!

Morning!

Yep 10EST.

I'm really curious how today closes. Yesterday we went nicely above the 21EMA (which is also now resistance) and spent time there only to lose it before close.

Today could be a sideways day. VIX I think will be key to keep an eye on.
Wealth gained hastily will dwindle. but whoever gathers little by little will increase it.
Proverbs 13:11

Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
BaylorSpineGuy said:

It's illogical. But the volume of selling on Monday was SIGNIFICANTLY larger than the day the stock ripped 30-35 points on a good earnings report in July.

I seriously doubt Evergrande had HCA investors shaking in their boots.

Yes, they have massive profits. I have no inside knowledge of this company, and I own no shares. I do work (indirectly) for the company and will not short sell my employer, but I'm simply showing some things to watch.

The only thing I'm not sure is how long FEMA is gonna keep paying for nurses to travel all over the country. Not sure if you are all aware, but traveling nurses are making f-loads of money. Some in the $200-500K range for traveling. FEMA has foot the bill particularly for COVID travel nurses. I know personally one who was offered $110/hr to train other nurses how to set up a cardiac OR (that should pay $35-45/hr IMO).

My understanding is that nursing is between 50-60% of expenses for any hospital (again, no insider knowledge and I'm not on any financial board at the hospital). My guess is HCA is basically running at almost half cost. When the travel nursing thing dries up (COVID stimulus already has), then their profits will come back to Earth. If someone has that knowledge….that may be worth some coin. Not sure if that has to be legislated or if it's buried in the COVID bill somewhere in the past.

That's the only thing I can think. But the chart does look toppy. And it's down from its ATH of about $263+.
I think there is a bigger issue with respect to nursing. My wife is a nurse and is upset about how COVID has played out with hospitals/health groups have been treating nurses.

Long story short fellas - nurses are simply burnt out. It's already a stressful & emotional job in which the nurses have been used as the jack of all trades in a healthcare setting. Need someone to do Rehab/PT? Make a nurse do it. Need someone to run a Patient down to surgery? Make a nurse do it.

This is in addition to these nurses having 4-6 patients that they are constantly caring for including changing wound dressings, assisting to the bathroom, helping patients shower, delivering meds (this is an lengthy ordeal in itself), etc. That's just the regular stuff and assumes no patients have emergency coding or anything. They are "supposed" to have 30 minutes for lunch but 98% of them don't ever get that or let alone 5 minutes to go to the bathroom.

They do all this for 35-40$ an hour, sometimes a bit more during the holidays. Then COVID hits and these nurses are treated worse and worse. Floor managers and hospital executives simply don't care, they treat the nurses as cannon fodder. They are losing revenue from non-critical surgeries and regular operations. Combine that with limited supplies and protection equipment it starts to piss off the local staff nurses.

Then to address the increased workflow - they bring in Subsidized Travel Nurses who are given easier assignments, preferred schedules and pay them double or triple what they were paying their on-staff nurses. These on-staff nurses see this and get upset with a $0.50 pay raise and a one-time $1000 bonus and decide to leave. They are going to go work for the travel agency where if they are going suffer, at least they will get paid handsomely for it.

That just makes the burden worse on the remaining on-staff nurses and eventually most quit and are replaced by travel nurses. It's bad at the hospitals and this is just an example for Baylor Scott & White in Dallas. There are other local DFW hospitals that are fairing much worse.

I've heard of Memorial Hermann in Houston offering $12,500 signing bonuses plus $45 base pay plus $10K referral bonuses to any nurse who join the NICU. That is a unit that typically has preferred tons of prior experience cause it involves tiny babies with tough medical issues.

Anyways, sorry for the rant. But to BaylorSpineGuy's point - FEMA subsidizing travel nursing has altered the nursing industry more than meets the eye cause these hospitals are going to need much bigger carrots to lure them back now that they have the taste of $75+ hour pay which truly compensates them for the sh*t they put up with.
cageybee77
AG
$75 an hour? Sheet, some HC execs gonna need to take a pay cut (I can relate)
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Imo Nursing is one of the most noble professions and a good nurse deserves whatever they can make. Tell your wife thanks!
BaylorSpineGuy
What he has said is all true.

I work closely with all our nurses(ICU, OR, floor, etc.). I get a sense their is some passive resentment from nurses who stayed to the nurses who have come from afar.

When pay discrepancy diverges so sharply for the same work being done, who wouldn't be resentful?!? It's definitely made the working environment more challenging.

Idk what HCA stock is gonna do. Historically, it just goes up! But no idea if that will continue.
ProgN
ROKU was upgraded yesterday and downgraded today.

Quote:

Wells Fargo Downgrades Roku to Equal-Weight, Lowers Price Target to $350

7:33 am ET September 24, 2021 (Benzinga) Print

Wells Fargo analyst Steven Cahall downgrades Roku (NASDAQ:ROKU) from Overweight to Equal-Weight and lowers the price target from $488 to $350.

FJ43
ProgN said:

ROKU was upgraded yesterday and downgraded today.
Nancy's assistant gave the wrong memo.....
Wealth gained hastily will dwindle. but whoever gathers little by little will increase it.

McInnis 03
AG
The indicies are all on their ETH lows right now..........
***If this post is on Business and Investing, take it with a grain of salt. I am wrong way more than I am right (but I am less wrong than I used to be) and if you follow me you will be too.***

B&I Key:
ETH - Extended Trading Hours --- RTH - Regular Trading Hours
ORH - Opening Range (1st 30min) High --- ORL - Opening Range Low
R1, R2, R3 - Resistance 1, 2, or 3 --- S1, S2, S3 - Support 1, 2 or 3
FJ43

Triple_Bagger
$ASAN

CFO sold 20,000 shares on Tuesday. I agree with 30k, this things looks ready to us to get revenge.

I believe the run up yesterday was in correlation with SalesForce increasing their revenue projections. I went short yesterday at $123, but got nervous when it was near $$125, so I covered half my short position at $124. I knew I was over positioned if a 2pt move made me that nervous.

Not sure if we see a big drop but it might move into a tradable channel like it was from July-September.

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1477720/000120919121057489/xslF345X03/doc4.xml
austinAG90
AG
This is the first time I have been in front of a Bloomberg in 2 weeks... So short and sweet... Overnight equities tried to rally but were reversed by the Chinese meddling in cryto... That has sent a risk off mood overnight, but we are not certain that will last.... Treasuries showed their true color on Hawkish tapering yesterday... Historically the real markets react to the Fed in about 18 hours...10 years overnight hit 1.45.. The next big level is 1.50... Resistance becomes the old support at 1.38... Our opinion, without going into much detail, is that tapering is much worse for the markets than many anticipate... Not only do we see it as tightening, but tightening on steroids..... It is Friday and could reverse some of the massive losses of yesterday. 30 years had their worse debacle in 18 months yesterday... It will not be a one day event.

Evergrande... We think the contagion aspects in the US are limited... So far no real widening in US HY... In fact 5 issuers came yesterday including 3 first timers... IG came with 7 deals totaling over 7 billion yesterday... We are still skeptical of the valuations of equities, especially if 10 years head to 2%... But that is not today.
mazag08
AG
AMD has been filling it's gaps every single time. Looks like we might have a gap down on the hourly chart. If so, I like the $106 lotto for today.

But I don't think it goes far past $106. So I will sell quickly.

I also see the wedge it's in. It has one more point on the lower side between $95 and $100 before it rips. That also lines up with the EW count I've been tracking.

I think this think bottoms in the next couple of weeks and then spends the rest of the year and early next year ripping up to $125-$130 range.

SF2004
AG
Watch $NKE at Open. Will gap down and threaten to fill that huge gap at $150ish from about three months ago.

I am in naked $125P and would gladly take assignment at that price and sell covered calls on the way back up.
Bob Knights Paper Hands
I'm looking at credit call spreads for $ASAN - selling $110 or $115 and buying $135. The puts look expensive to me. Any other entry thoughts here?
Bob Knights Paper Hands
I've bought a bunch of lottos for next Friday - buying calls in the 116-119 range and selling the 120. Purely as high-risk speculative plays on AMD.
Bob Knights Paper Hands
I just sold my SPY shares bought this week. I probably should have sold yesterday, but oh well. This opening big green candles looks bearish to me. I think it's a trap.
Bob Knights Paper Hands
Tomas Hermensa said:

I just sold my SPY shares bought this week. I probably should have sold yesterday, but oh well. This opening big green candles looks bearish to me. I think it's a trap.

And just as I sold and typed that, VIX is falling and back under 20 now.
McInnis 03
AG
Took 29 cumulative pts on MES to start the day. That's way better than the other thing I've been doing lately.

OH, and I still have a runner!
***If this post is on Business and Investing, take it with a grain of salt. I am wrong way more than I am right (but I am less wrong than I used to be) and if you follow me you will be too.***

B&I Key:
mazag08
AG
Bough AMD expiring $106 lottos at the open for $0.30. Sold 60% for $0.50 to go net free. Now just waiting on the gap fill.
GTIAG09
AG
Stopped out of UPWK trade.
bmoochie
AG
Entered Uber lotto calls, sold net free, then put a trailing stop for 290% gain! I am done for the day!
FJ43
JMIA lottos went from .09 - .22 and still going

n_touch
BaylorSpineGuy said:

What he has said is all true.

I work closely with all our nurses(ICU, OR, floor, etc.). I get a sense their is some passive resentment from nurses who stayed to the nurses who have come from afar.

When pay discrepancy diverges so sharply for the same work being done, who wouldn't be resentful?!? It's definitely made the working environment more challenging.

Idk what HCA stock is gonna do. Historically, it just goes up! But no idea if that will continue.
This has been an issue for over 30 years. When I was in the hospitals in the 90's we would have nurses leave to go work agency work and then come back and work for the hospital through the agency the next week making more money than with the system. Unfortunately it is just part of the game.
McInnis 03
AG
Took MNQ long at 15205

B&I Key:
0708aggie
AG
Entered 350 9/24 FB lottos at 0.25 (100)
mazag08
AG
UBER just filled it's gap from July 28/29 on the 1D chart. Bounced off the next resistance point above the gap which lines up with a bounce off the top of it's downward wedge.

Just like my AMD chart, I see one more potential drop to a new low like I outlined a couple days ago. It has multiple gaps to fill below and the EW count agrees. UBER to $35 is my bet here within the next month or two.

Bulls need to take it above $52.50 to reverse the outlook.
FTAG 2000
AG
Powell and Biden scheduled to both speak at the same time. Going to get a bit bumpy I'm guessing.

McInnis 03
AG
McInnis 03 said:

Took MNQ long at 15205
Holy hell. Sold half, stops to B/E but that's about to mvoe up too
FTAG 2000
AG
Took a 10/15 credit spread on MTCH. 157.5/162.5.

McInnis 03
AG
McInnis 03 said:

McInnis 03 said:

Took MNQ long at 15205
Holy hell. Sold half, stops to B/E but that's about to mvoe up too
Closed it. Daily goal met. Wowzers. That felt good.
0708aggie
AG
Sold half to go net free.
FJ43
0708aggie said:

Entered 350 9/24 FB lottos at 0.25 (100)
With you but at .36

0708aggie
AG
Whats your exit? Almost pulled the trigger there at 0.80.
FJ43
0708aggie said:

Whats your exit? Almost pulled the trigger there at 0.80.
Want to see if tries for prior high 349.67. If loses 347.03 with a 5 min candle I will just leave a runner only.

austinAG90
AG
New HY for 10 Year... 1.447... Charts Looking Ugly... Fed Inflation fears

First observation is that the treasury market is in trouble... Fed is ready to taper...if they get any decent employment number on October 8, they will announce and start tapering in November... Market is not ready for this and is going through an adjustment faze..1.50 looks next but it won't stop there.. 1.60 is clearly a target...Fed is worried about inflation... And per our comment earlier that tapering is tightening on steroids... Many will disagree... The Fed is about to give the street back their risk of duration... If the Fed taper starts in November and ends first half of 2022... That is 120 billion a month that the street is going to take down,...then the Fed backstop will be gone until the next crisis... Problem is that tapering does nothing for the current economy except make asset prices too high... Supply chain issues are horrible... Shelves are no longer fully stocked in stores... Inflation continues to ramp up... Transitory thoughts are not based in fact... So look for treasuries to adjust... Meanwhile corporate spreads are still solid... Hopefully it will be the treasury market that adjusts...but it could leak into the risk category...meaning equities... Not our call just yet... But we think treasuries have much further to go.

Powell up next
First Page Last Page
Page 4493 of 6618

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.