Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

24,042,481 Views | 231653 Replies | Last: 20 min ago by ProgN
wanderer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Used VIX over 20 and the dip today to sell some 9/17 SPY put credit spreads (435/433) for .25 each. It's not a sexy trade, but seems like a good way to utilize some parked capital instead of trying to catch falling knives.
FJ43
SF2004 said:

FJ43 said:

KY-AG 10 said:

Opex this week. Fomc next week. FJs bicycle chart reminder
Bicycle Update.

Amazing how this works....

Trying a VERY small play on this.

Entered some Oct 21 460 calls to sell on a rip back next week.

Since I am trying this your bicycle is going to break... so may bad in advance.
Oct probably OK IMO. I guess I am not expecting any meaningful rip in Sept though.

FOMC next week so who knows though.
Wealth gained hastily will dwindle. but whoever gathers little by little will increase it.
Proverbs 13:11

jwhitlock3
wanderer said:

Used VIX over 20 and the dip today to sell some 9/17 SPY put credit spreads (435/433) for .25 each. It's not a sexy trade, but seems like a good way to utilize some parked capital instead of trying to catch falling knives.
Always wondered how folks approach these type of plays. It seems like pretty easy money, but the risk:reward is really skewed. I never know if they make sense or not.
wanderer
jwhitlock3 said:

Always wondered how folks approach these type of plays. It seems like pretty easy money, but the risk:reward is really skewed. I never know if they make sense or not.
I'd argue that's not really the case. If I wanted to sell closer to the money I could receive more (credit) but I'd also be taking on more risk. If I went further OTM I could have less risk, but also receive less (credit). The market is what it is and the risk/reward is built into the price of the options (unless you find some sort of arbitrage). I believe this is especially true with an ETF like SPY. May not always be the case with something crazy like GME/AMC/etc...
McInnis 03
AG

***If this post is on Business and Investing, take it with a grain of salt. I am wrong way more than I am right (but I am less wrong than I used to be) and if you follow me you will be too.***

B&I Key:
ETH - Extended Trading Hours --- RTH - Regular Trading Hours
ORH - Opening Range (1st 30min) High --- ORL - Opening Range Low
R1, R2, R3 - Resistance 1, 2, or 3 --- S1, S2, S3 - Support 1, 2 or 3
SF2004
AG
jwhitlock3 said:

wanderer said:

Depends on if you believe in probabilities and statistics.

This is a great trade according to that.

He has already made money on the VIX drop.
SF2004
AG
McInnis 03 said:

I have learned that markets do not regularly "crash". They trend upwards with upswings and downswings based on price action. Anyone who is a long term "bear" fails to see 100 years worth of history that the markets goes up. These swings can sometimes be on the downside by 10-15% but these aren't crashes.

There are short term crashes based on huge catalyst (tech boom, housing, covid), but then the rally returns to the previous high and continues on.

If a company continues to grow revenue then it will not "crash" etiher.

If you live in meme stocks or speculative growth stocks then yes you could take a beating.
FJ43
FJ43 said:

SPY as of now.

Watching yellow trend line and 50EMA

Hmmmmm little yellow trend line. Wick right to it. Let's see if tests lower towards 50 from here.

Wealth gained hastily will dwindle. but whoever gathers little by little will increase it.

FJ43

ZS

Maybe keep this on your radar. Had a good day despite market weakness.

Bounced of ATR mean yesterday.

Probably room to 280, 283.50ish+

Could go out a week.

Triple_Bagger
Double_Bagger said:

RigsTx said:

jwhitlock3 said:

SAVA putting in lower lows today, not sure what's goin on there. No news I can see.
IMHO, SAVA is going to bleed lower until the 3rd party data review of the 12 month results is published. All the press lately has been negative. Now if a 3rd party firm agrees with the 12 month results and they continue to show improved cognitive function I believe you will see a nice run up.

But until then, there is no catalyst out there to send it upwards.
I think the other big catalyst will be the FDA response to the Citizens Petition. They have 150 days to respond.
Maybe we get lucky and SAVA becomes the next Wall Street Bets short squeeze candidate. I checked with Fidelity and there aren't any shares available to short, so I assume short interest is pretty high.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
I messed up today - $10K mistake

Here's what I did.

FB 0917 280C, 200 contracts, no intention to hold overnight.

You don’t trade for money, you trade for freedom.
Bob Knights Paper Hands
Shorts as a % of float and of outstanding were both around 20% as of Aug31 That is double from a month ago. It will be interesting to see the number of shares short as of Sept15 when that's reported early next week.
Bob Knights Paper Hands
I hear you. The only think I've done right recently is cut losers. I should start a Fade Tomas twitter feed. It would be wildly popular.
BaylorSpineGuy
Does anyone know if OA still offers his class?

The last two days have been total beatdowns. Loaded with self-doubt right now. Debating just putting all my money into the SPY….just not this week lol.

Would love to have a few winners to break out of my slump, but just not getting a sense that's gonna happen.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
BaylorSpineGuy said:

Does anyone know if OA still offers his class?

The last two days have been total beatdowns. Loaded with self-doubt right now. Debating just putting all my money into the SPY….just not this week lol.

Would love to have a few winners to break out of my slump, but just not getting a sense that's gonna happen.
sell puts. harder to lose.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
McInnis 03 said:

Welcome back to earth ATER. We didn't want you back.

Nice, i felt like i was throwing away money buying my puts back yesterday morning when it couldn't stop wouldn't stop...but it did stop
Bob Knights Paper Hands
Nicely done sir! I sold all but 100 shares and I thought about put spreads to profit if it came back to earth this week. Shoulda woulda coulda.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Zs, Crwd, okta, net all green today when not much else was was...
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Right now I'm happy with "didn't lose money" lol.
KY-AG 10
AG
Watching ZM the last couple weeks. Seems to have begun to settle at a strong support value area. Can't help but see that huge gap to fill above. Want to see some confirmation of a bottom. Then planning on a swing. Probably after fomc.
BlueTaze
Triple_Bagger
$30,000 Millionaire said:

I messed up today - $10K mistake

Here's what I did.

FB 0917 280C, 200 contracts, no intention to hold overnight.

Thank you for sharing these and showing your thought process on the chart. Posts like these are some of the most educational for this board and I really appreciate you taking the time to post.
GreasenUSA
AG
KY-AG 10 said:

Watching ZM the last couple weeks. Seems to have begun to settle at a strong support value area. Can't help but see that huge gap to fill above. Want to see some confirmation of a bottom. Then planning on a swing. Probably after fomc.
ZM just broke below its post-earnings low today. That's pretty bearish. Need to watch how it handles the 273 area low from May next.

Stay at home stocks like ZM and TDOC are looking pretty weak right now.
KY-AG 10
AG
Agreed. The bottom I'm looking for is 278ish give or take a couple bucks. Going back to S/R lines on the weekly chart. If it stays at or above that level I think we'll see this consolidation turn up when money starts coming back to this sector
To draw a parallel. AMZN chart looks nearly identical. Just 30 days sooner.
lobwedgephil
We are in a choppy, volatile market right now with quad witching week. Can always just watch the action and not trade, Just remember, you don't always have to trade.
tlepoC
AG
easier said than done
FJ43

Morning gents!

Mostly red EU & Asia with US greenish to flat.

Mid week of OpEx week.

This month's OpEx shenanigan's hasn't seen the violent sell but seems more of an orderly grind down.....yet.

We are below the 8 & 21 EMAs with 50 nearby so a bit in the middle of no where.

I hate being in the middle.......

Trade wisely!

mazag08
AG
Today will tell us a lot.

SPX closed its gap and is now looking for a bottom. Once it finds it, look for a very clear impulsive move off of it. If you don't see that, then we haven't found the bottom.

I think we find it today. The OPEX shenanigans will be the shakeout of the bears as we push back up.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
mazag08 said:

Today will tell us a lot.

SPX closed its gap and is now looking for a bottom. Once it finds it, look for a very clear impulsive move off of it. If you don't see that, then we haven't found the bottom.

I think we find it today. The OPEX shenanigans will be the shakeout of the bears as we push back up.

I think so too. 6 down days in a row is excessive.
ProgN
FJ43 said:

I hate being in the middle.......

FJ43
I literally though of you right after I posted and what you would come back with.

FJ43

FJ43

McInnis 03
AG
I want to believe Stewie, I want to believe. But.....I just don't know.

***If this post is on Business and Investing, take it with a grain of salt. I am wrong way more than I am right (but I am less wrong than I used to be) and if you follow me you will be too.***

B&I Key:
ETH - Extended Trading Hours --- RTH - Regular Trading Hours
ORH - Opening Range (1st 30min) High --- ORL - Opening Range Low
R1, R2, R3 - Resistance 1, 2, or 3 --- S1, S2, S3 - Support 1, 2 or 3
RogerEnright
wanderer said:

No problem with the trade, but we are nowhere close to falling knives....
First Page Last Page
Page 4460 of 6619

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.