Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

24,046,292 Views | 231655 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by Heineken-Ashi
FTAG 2000
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Going back about a week, looks like rotation into energy stocks.
bmks270
AG
I bleed maroon said:

bmks270 said:

How do guys feel about low volume stocks?

I just bought some shares of a very low volume stock, most days only hundreds of shares, a few days here and there in the thousands. It dropped 10% already this morning on only 9,000 shares of volume. Good for me since I bought some shares 10% off its high.
Market cap is about 6 billion.

It's a higher risk but potentially high reward.
It's already tripled since it started trading about a year ago.

It feels low risk since my friend in the industry is really high on it. Also financials look good for a growth stock IMO.
Good luck, but without knowing which company this is, it sounds nothing like a "low risk" proposition. I have highlighted the parts above that lead me to believe this is a very high risk stock.

Appreciate the take. I invested a small enough amount that I can accept the risk. The balance sheet is pretty good. Net income went from -10 million to -1 million year over year with revenue up 50%. They have big customers already, and are adopting latest industry tech. Leader and founder was former leader of the biggest company in the space, though most of the top companies are using tech and methods that are being made obsolete by newer technology, and this companies focus is going all in on the new technology side of things. They are buying up other companies in the space. Just my friend knows who they've bought up, who their competitors are, he works with the technology. I feel good about it from his input and seeing the financials.

The volume is so low I don't want to name it here.
J.P. 03
AG
Flirting with Mancini's 4455 level on SPX now. I've seen a few "look out below"-type tweets out there if we can't hold this.
H-town ag
AG
Anyone watching $VEON?
frankm01
AG 2000' said:

Got out of ATER way too soon.
I'm still in, but broke my discipline and sold CC last week on my whole position. Just like you guys always say: stick to your plan. I didn't and blew it.
Bird Poo
AG
H-town ag said:

Anyone watching $VEON?
Here! She's been doing well since I got in at 1.62. Don't plan to sell for a long time.
I bleed maroon
AG
bmks270 said:

I bleed maroon said:

bmks270 said:

I just bought some shares of a very low volume stock, most days only hundreds of shares, a few days here and there in the thousands. It dropped 10% already this morning on only 9,000 shares of volume. Good for me since I bought some shares 10% off its high.

It feels low risk since my friend in the industry is really high on it. Also financials look good for a growth stock IMO.
Good luck, but without knowing which company this is, it sounds nothing like a "low risk" proposition. I have highlighted the parts above that lead me to believe this is a very high risk stock.

Appreciate the take. I invested a small enough amount that I can accept the risk. The balance sheet is pretty good. Net income went from -10 million to -1 million year over year with revenue up 50%. They have big customers already, and are adopting latest industry tech. Leader and founder was former leader of the biggest company in the space, though most of the top companies are using tech and methods that are being made obsolete by newer technology, and this companies focus is going all in on the new technology side of things. They are buying up other companies in the space. Just my friend knows who they've bought up, who their competitors are, he works with the technology. I feel good about it from his input and seeing the financials.

Sounds like it could be an investable idea - good luck!

My only point was that it appears to be a high-risk, speculative play. These are just fine as a small portion of your portfolio, with money you can afford to lose. But, to reiterate, it doesn't feel low risk at all.
Bob Knights Paper Hands
I got 9/17 SPY 437/439 call credit spreads to fill today for $1.75. That's below the 50-ma and the low BB. It seemed like a good place for a 7:1 risk/reward.
BaylorSpineGuy
SPY gap to fill between 445.48 and 445.77.
BaylorSpineGuy
Possible H&S here on SPY. Not sure on volume…
Bob Knights Paper Hands
PearlJammin said:

H-town ag said:

Anyone watching $VEON?
Here! She's been doing well since I got in at 1.62. Don't plan to sell for a long time.

I'm down to may last 5 calls for 9/17. That was a good trade for me. I have a small amount of shares that I got in instead of the Dec calls. I wish I'd done those as well.
Triple_Bagger
Tomas Hermensa said:

I got 9/17 SPY 437/439 call credit spreads to fill today for $1.75. That's below the 50-ma and the low BB. It seemed like a good place for a 7:1 risk/reward.
So is this a bet that SPY closes below 439 on 9/17?
Bob Knights Paper Hands
GDX is back over the 5/10/20 MAs. Let's see if it can close here and then run back up to 40 during October.
jwhitlock3
Edit: I'm wrong, this is a play looking for a close under SPY $437 for max profit.
FJ43
IBKR on crypto now.

Wealth gained hastily will dwindle. but whoever gathers little by little will increase it.
Proverbs 13:11

BrokeAssAggie
Nice!
FTAG 2000
AG
Tomas Hermensa said:

Buying the 439, selling the 437?
slacker00
AG
Hoping he meant PUT???
cptthunder
Anyone have anything on LPTX?
Monster volume today and pushed up against longer term resistance at $2 but now pulling back some
No options which is tough but might start a small share position

Edit: Started a position @ $1.76
FTAG 2000
AG
slacker00 said:

Hoping he meant PUT???
There's only a 30 cent delta on the 439/437 puts, so it's definitely the call side he's talking about at 1.75.
Brewmaster
AG
AG 2000' said:

Tomas Hermensa said:

Yep, selling the more expensive (more itm) one

Not a bad play at all for the risk reward, a good flush and it hits!
McInnis 03
AG
McInnis 03 said:

So.....a follow I respect on twitter has some pretty amazing pivots he used to calculate on a daily basis and he'd post them the night before as levels to respect. Another random twitter dude figured out the calcs and when they worked together they published code to TradingView to draw out these pivots free, but they locked it.

After some discussions, they unlocked the code and now we have some folks trying to port it to TOS.

Anyways, I have the ported code, and it works great for equities, but it's not calculating right for futures at the moment which is where the low hanging fruit truly lies............

Anyway, if anyone is interested in a BETA version of Posty Pivots (@PostyTrades) for TOS I'm happy to share here and to explain it if you understand that this isn't final yet and actionable levels could be off until we get this tuned up to pull proper timeframes on futures.

Lemme know and I can post the shared code.
Rusty (Russell 2000) following Posty to a point today.

***If this post is on Business and Investing, take it with a grain of salt. I am wrong way more than I am right (but I am less wrong than I used to be) and if you follow me you will be too.***

B&I Key:
ETH - Extended Trading Hours --- RTH - Regular Trading Hours
ORH - Opening Range (1st 30min) High --- ORL - Opening Range Low
R1, R2, R3 - Resistance 1, 2, or 3 --- S1, S2, S3 - Support 1, 2 or 3
FJ43
McInnis 03 said:

McInnis 03 said:

So.....a follow I respect on twitter has some pretty amazing pivots he used to calculate on a daily basis and he'd post them the night before as levels to respect. Another random twitter dude figured out the calcs and when they worked together they published code to TradingView to draw out these pivots free, but they locked it.

After some discussions, they unlocked the code and now we have some folks trying to port it to TOS.

Anyways, I have the ported code, and it works great for equities, but it's not calculating right for futures at the moment which is where the low hanging fruit truly lies............

Anyway, if anyone is interested in a BETA version of Posty Pivots (@PostyTrades) for TOS I'm happy to share here and to explain it if you understand that this isn't final yet and actionable levels could be off until we get this tuned up to pull proper timeframes on futures.

Lemme know and I can post the shared code.
Rusty (Russell 2000) following Posty to a point today.

This is what you see on TradingView as a default for Posty Pivots.

IWM 10 Min

Wealth gained hastily will dwindle. but whoever gathers little by little will increase it.
Proverbs 13:11

BaylorSpineGuy
Closed my SPY puts* for 35-40% gains. Was up as much as 50% today but found support at 4500.
cptthunder
$CWH is getting really tight here on the daily
Looks like the 8/21/50 EMAs are all within 25 cents of each other
slacker00
AG
well, if he's right several of the trades I put on this morning are going to be losers
bmks270
AG
I bleed maroon said:

bmks270 said:

I bleed maroon said:

bmks270 said:

Sounds like it could be an investable idea - good luck!

My only point was that it appears to be a high-risk, speculative play. These are just fine as a small portion of your portfolio, with money you can afford to lose. But, to reiterate, it doesn't feel low risk at all.

Plan to hold it a few years at least. It's not something with enough volume for swing or short term trades like most of this thread is about. It's a bit strange, there are a few days a couple of months ago a with 250k-500k of volume each day but little price movement, then most days are less than 1k of volume. The 10% drop this morning is after a run up last week of 10%…. It's the most volatile period on the chart. Most of the chart has been a steady rise.

I was just curious if anyone here had ever invested in low volume stocks and had any experience to share.
Brewmaster
AG
GMVD
we still holding out for $4?
J.P. 03
AG
Grabbed some SPY puts down here just in case we keep hanging out below the 4450 level on SPX. Will bail relatively quickly if we reclaim and rally.
Red Red Wine
AG
about to lose that 4455 level someone posted this morning.
BaylorSpineGuy
I think it closed that gap to 4448 and may rally for a bit. It's holding that same trend line. Sold the puts and bought calls at 445 three and a half weeks out.
Bob Knights Paper Hands
AG 2000' said:

Tomas Hermensa said:

Yeah I did that wrong. I was a bit perplexed why that could be such a great ROR for what I perceived was such a low risk.
Bob Knights Paper Hands
I closed those for less than my average cost. I think even with the fees I made a few dollars. Stupid is victorious again! I'm not sure why I got backwards with the thinking on that spread.
Bob Knights Paper Hands
Tomas Hermensa said:

I closed those for less than my average cost. I think even with the fees I made a few dollars. Stupid is victorious again! I'm not sure why I got backwards with the thinking on that spread.

Speaking of stupid, what's up with SAVA today?
irish pete ag06
AG
Can I yell at myself real quick...

SELL YOUR OPTIONS WHEN THEY HIT YOUR 2ND TARGET YOU IGNORANT GREEDY PIG. YOUR ACCOUNT WOULD BE UP ANOTHER 30-40% IF YOU WOULD JUST DO THIS. YOU HAVE IDENTIFIED 2 PRICE TARGETS ON EVERY TRADE IN THE LAST 3 WEEKS THAT ALL HAVE BEEN HIT! YET YOU CONTINUE TO OCCASIONALLY "HOLD FOR MORE" THEN LET THE TRADE MOVE AGAINST YOU.

Ok, I'm done. Thanks fellas.
First Page Last Page
Page 4455 of 6619

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.