Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

24,044,527 Views | 231655 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by Heineken-Ashi
fastgreens
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Tomas Hermensa said:

LOYAL AG said:

fastgreens said:

clinto said:

I'm new to options, have been learning a lot the past month or so and think I'm ready to buy my first call option, looking at the April 16 apple, what all goes in to y'all's decision on choosing a strike price?

Good time to start with a couple OA1 recommended $GM April 16 $60
This is bad advice. OA is a legend here and I'm not questioning the trade itself but the poster you responded to has to learn how to successfully trade options, not blindly follow the board's legends. Entering options trades you don't understand and can't manage will lose you a lot of money quickly.

Truth. You really need to know why, how, and when to exit before getting into any sizeable options investments. I would, however say that paper trading or trading very small dollar options plays is the best way to learn. You basically have to screw things up in every way possible before you learn to recognize how to spot that situation again and to formulate better plans to deal with those. For the new folks on the board I would highly encourage getting a paper trading account and with that try to enter a lot of the trades you see on this board to experience them without risking your real dollars. In the meantime you can just safely park your real money in TSLA $900 weeklies.

While I agree that no one should ever listen to me on this subject, I'm not sure how a couple calls at approx $2 premium loses lots of money???
BrokeAssAggie
PLTR with a lot of volume again today. Let's go!
Goldie Wilson
I, for one, will happily continue to follow blindly while I learn how to fish.
clinto
The paper money trading is a good idea, I'll probably start with doing that. I've followed along for awhile but I am definitely the type that learns better by just doing it.
kyledr04
AG
gigemJTH12 said:

So I have lost my ass on AAPL. An embarrassing amount of my account. I have let like 3 different large sets of call buys expire to their death.

Dumb trading, I know.

I'll be sick if I do miss the rip after losing all that money.

Should I buy something farther out? I cannot afford to buy another set a month away and lose again on it.

If in my shoes, what would be your play?

You're definitely not alone. I had way too much of the Feb and Mar calls
BrokeAssAggie
If he pairs with cargo shorts then half of TexAgs would be fashionable

FJ43
clinto said:

The paper money trading is a good idea, I'll probably start with doing that. I've followed along for awhile but I am definitely the type that learns better by just doing it.
There are a lot of great videos on YouTube about basic options trades. I too learn best by doing. I started by following and buying literally one option call. Just to execute it and watch it work. I didn't do it absent or disconnected from then looking at why that stock and why that option.

The stock or underlying itself needs to be performing. If it isn't technically right for a setup then avoid the shares or options.

For me I learned by calls = small I started small...real small...until I learned enough to move to the next step.

Buying a single call is the easiest start. No obligation to you and only risk you have is what you put on the line day one. Next is buying a put. Same thing but reverse in terms of which direction you want the stock to go.

There are plenty here on this forum that will help you from making the same mistakes we all have.
Wealth gained hastily will dwindle. but whoever gathers little by little will increase it.
Proverbs 13:11

FTAG 2000
AG
fastgreens said:

Tomas Hermensa said:

LOYAL AG said:

fastgreens said:

clinto said:

I'm new to options, have been learning a lot the past month or so and think I'm ready to buy my first call option, looking at the April 16 apple, what all goes in to y'all's decision on choosing a strike price?

This is bad advice. OA is a legend here and I'm not questioning the trade itself but the poster you responded to has to learn how to successfully trade options, not blindly follow the board's legends. Entering options trades you don't understand and can't manage will lose you a lot of money quickly.

Truth. You really need to know why, how, and when to exit before getting into any sizeable options investments. I would, however say that paper trading or trading very small dollar options plays is the best way to learn. You basically have to screw things up in every way possible before you learn to recognize how to spot that situation again and to formulate better plans to deal with those. For the new folks on the board I would highly encourage getting a paper trading account and with that try to enter a lot of the trades you see on this board to experience them without risking your real dollars. In the meantime you can just safely park your real money in TSLA $900 weeklies.

While I agree that no one should ever listen to me on this subject, I'm not sure how a couple calls at approx $2 premium loses lots of money???
You talking covered calls or naked calls?
AgEng06
AG
He's just talking about getting in on that GM call.
fightintxag13
AG
For those in the PHUN run.

https://seekingalpha.com/news/3671728-phunware-stock-jumps-on-healthcare-partnership-with-vizzia?utm_source=selerityinc.com&utm_medium=referral
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
paper trading is fun to get the YOLO bets out of your system. Like buying weekly TSLA 300P.
You don’t trade for money, you trade for freedom.
McInnis 03
AG
$30,000 Millionaire said:

paper trading is fun to get the YOLO bets out of your system. Like buying weekly TSLA 300P.
***** That was supposed to be on paper???
***If this post is on Business and Investing, take it with a grain of salt. I am wrong way more than I am right (but I am less wrong than I used to be) and if you follow me you will be too.***

B&I Key:
ETH - Extended Trading Hours --- RTH - Regular Trading Hours
ORH - Opening Range (1st 30min) High --- ORL - Opening Range Low
R1, R2, R3 - Resistance 1, 2, or 3 --- S1, S2, S3 - Support 1, 2 or 3
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
it depends which week!
McInnis 03
AG

***If this post is on Business and Investing, take it with a grain of salt. I am wrong way more than I am right (but I am less wrong than I used to be) and if you follow me you will be too.***

B&I Key:
McInnis 03
AG
BTW, I hate OSTK, it's bipolar the way ROKU used to be. But I think there is a immense value down here for long term holds.

B&I Key:
tsuag10
AG
Gonna be a good day Tater.
Dirt 05
AG
I started by selling one out of the money call option on a stock I owned100 shares on and plan to hold long term. By monitoring that position I really came to appreciate the daily impact and inherent leverage that an option contract has.

Have a strategy going in, and plan to be more disciplined in defining and sticking to exit strategies and monitoring the position. For instance mine is to sell calls to earn premium to generate income and lower my cost basis. If the option is exercised I plan to buy the stock back because it is one that I believe in long term. If it expires out of the money I earned the premium like I planned to do.

Good luck!
FJ43
$30,000 Millionaire said:

I learned a lot paper trading and had fun.

But then when I got out of the batting cages and stepped up to the plate it sure felt different.
Wealth gained hastily will dwindle. but whoever gathers little by little will increase it.
Proverbs 13:11

$30,000 Millionaire
AG
I sort of hope a similar thing happens to AMC and they have a chance to recapitalize. Anything that irks that specific analyst is good by me.
fastgreens
AG
AG 2000' said:

fastgreens said:

Tomas Hermensa said:

LOYAL AG said:

fastgreens said:

clinto said:

Naked I think lol... I'm talking buying two calls and selling for the premium.

I believe I can lose a total of $402.00 or something like that on the GM calls. I agree that it's "real" money, but definitely an amount I'm not afraid to risk following the footsteps of OA1... and I guarantee a heluva lot less than others on this thread

McInnis 03
AG
ATOS just got "safe to proceed" on some cancer drug.

B&I Key:
Maximus_Meridius
AG
Holy hell, are you guys looking at the IV on the EBON 3/19 options?!
FTAG 2000
AG
fastgreens said:

AG 2000' said:

fastgreens said:

Tomas Hermensa said:

LOYAL AG said:

fastgreens said:

clinto said:

I believe I can lose a total of $402.00 or something like that on the GM calls. I agree that it's "real" money, but definitely an amount I'm not afraid to risk following the footsteps of OA1... and I guarantee a heluva lot less than others on this thread

Sure. But I think the point is, that option x100 multiplier can get pricy quick. And if you don't have a sell strategy, you could watch it all go to zero. You're right in that the loss is 'capped', but just blindly putting down money like that with the idea of it either goes to zero or infinity will burn through your capital quickly as well.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
bought back $AAPL sold puts for 80% gain. Not worth risking $0.50 with OPEX looming. I'll go further out for more premium.
fightintxag13
AG
Maximus_Meridius said:

Holy hell, are you guys looking at the IV on the EBON 3/19 options?!
Seems like a good time to sell some CC's.
BrokeAssAggie
FB rocket!!

AgEng06
AG
CrazyRichAggie said:

FB rocket!!

GOOOOOOOO!
FbgTxAg
AG
CrazyRichAggie said:

FB rocket!!

I believe this is 100% TexAgs Stock Thread driven. We are the new Reddit. Feel the power.
The greatest argument ever made against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter.
FbgTxAg
AG
The greatest argument ever made against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter.
Bob Knights Paper Hands
Looks like my 600/650/700/750 TSLA condors for 3/12 are toast.

McInnis 03
AG
Congrats you FB holders. Trim trim trim.

B&I Key:
FbgTxAg
AG
"Four-Leaf" putting in work today. I shall not speak the name of such a lucky stock.
kyledr04
AG
AG 2000' said:

fastgreens said:

AG 2000' said:

fastgreens said:

Tomas Hermensa said:

LOYAL AG said:

fastgreens said:

clinto said:

Sure. But I think the point is, that option x100 multiplier can get pricy quick. And if you don't have a sell strategy, you could watch it all go to zero. You're right in that the loss is 'capped', but just blindly putting down money like that with the idea of it either goes to zero or infinity will burn through your capital quickly as well.

Exiting calls especially losers has been hard to figure out because it seems like I've both stayed in too long and lost or got out too early locking in a loss just before an increase.
Bob Knights Paper Hands
Definitely wasn't picking on you or your response in particular. Mine was more of a general comment/reminder. I do agree that getting in small is a good way to learn as well.
CPDAggie10
AG
KIQ Volume
First Page Last Page
Page 3473 of 6619

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.