Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

24,031,133 Views | 231620 Replies | Last: 29 min ago by Chef Elko
LarryL
How long do you want to ignore this user?
NRD09 said:

Good call, i used to use vxx calls and they seemed to perform really well on days like today. I switched over to spxs calls and today they bumped and i cashed them in but they really didn't spike like the vxx calls do. Think I'm gonna go back.

Also i got a pdt warning (warning you have used 2 day trades in the last 5 days...) today in a td account i have 30k in. I thought it wasn't an issue if your account value was over 25k?
They still send warnings even if you're over $25K unless you turn off the PDT notifications in your profile on the website.
Mostly Foggy Recollection
ITM or slightly OTM calls can be good in times like this too. Go take a look at the March 5th, $9 call today. Up 319%

I know we can't always predict large corrections but volatility near tops is good for short and long call verticals depending on IV and maturation of the top being defined.
Yes as long we channel between say 377 and 397. It's easy money
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
Red Rover said:

$30,000 Millionaire said:

AgsnFly said:

Ragoo said:

How impatient with losers are you?

Very impatient. I will not take a loss greater than %.05 of my account size. For open profits it gets way more relaxed but usually a mental trailing stop loss not to exceed 20% of the high water Mark on the trade. I have a rather large account so it forces me to have hundreds of positions (plus many futures positions) but it works for me. The most important thing for me is to protect my account profits. I do this by not taking losses against my large gains. Never give up the gains you have made - never think in terms of playing with "house money".

2% here and I get very fussy when it happens

For Agsnfly and 30k - when you talk about these max losses does that include accumulation or longer term holds? If so are you able to stay in these buy position sizing so that the individual equity would have to show a major (50%+) loss in order to pull your account 0.5 - 2%?

I will generally stay in stocks as long as the reason for being in them is still legitimate. For example, I'm underwater on OSTK, but this will be a $200 stock. You can always lower your base through covered calls.
Jet Black
Watching the Seinfeld where jerry buys the stock and is obsessively checking it everyday in the paper. Maybe I should have invested in Kramer's roll out tie dispenser instead of the market.
AgsnFly
AG
Red Rover said:

$30,000 Millionaire said:

AgsnFly said:

Ragoo said:

How impatient with losers are you?

Very impatient. I will not take a loss greater than %.05 of my account size. For open profits it gets way more relaxed but usually a mental trailing stop loss not to exceed 20% of the high water Mark on the trade. I have a rather large account so it forces me to have hundreds of positions (plus many futures positions) but it works for me. The most important thing for me is to protect my account profits. I do this by not taking losses against my large gains. Never give up the gains you have made - never think in terms of playing with "house money".

2% here and I get very fussy when it happens

For Agsnfly and 30k - when you talk about these max losses does that include accumulation or longer term holds? If so are you able to stay in these buy position sizing so that the individual equity would have to show a major (50%+) loss in order to pull your account 0.5 - 2%?

I usually accumulate my positions via pyramiding. I understand many here will buy larger and larger volumes against a perceived strong support level. This is not for me. I start small and then add as profits accumulate and trend confirms. As trade profits increase, my tolerance for trade loss from highest profit on trade will increase to the point that my trailing stop loss may be 20% (e.g. if I am eventually up $100k on a trade I will reduce position size at the profits shrink and will probably be out of the trade while my net profit is above $80k). I think in terms of portfolio high-water mark but the .05% increases with trade success (don't want to get shaken out of good trades as trade quality increases). This allows me to make a lot of trades of which many can go wrong and which I lose very little on, but when they go right, I can keep adding to a point and then manage the profits with a reasonable stop from the highest mark. Hope that makes sense. I do this with longer term trades and commodities. Swing trades are different and remain small as do option strategies I use for leveraging directional bias or selling to collect theta (or increase payout with CC - and of course some hedging for macro events). Hope this makes sense.
McInnis 03
AG
Anyone smarter than me here have input?

***If this post is on Business and Investing, take it with a grain of salt. I am wrong way more than I am right (but I am less wrong than I used to be) and if you follow me you will be too.***

B&I Key:
ETH - Extended Trading Hours --- RTH - Regular Trading Hours
ORH - Opening Range (1st 30min) High --- ORL - Opening Range Low
R1, R2, R3 - Resistance 1, 2, or 3 --- S1, S2, S3 - Support 1, 2 or 3
agdaddy04
AG
Nm
Agswinning
I need to learn how to hold. I found this thread a couple years ago and bought OSTK under $5 and sold in the teens because I felt like that was a good gain. I bought NIO last year under $3 and sold above $5. I had a lot going on personally and couldn't trade much after that. I sure wish I had understood the net free concept at that time.
Saw @stevekavdc mention PLL on Twitter.

A vertical looks tasty for April or May.
FbgTxAg
AG
At the moment I'm only down 22% since President's Day.

I'm noticing a trend...
The greatest argument ever made against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter.
BrokeAssAggie
Cheers to a green Friday
Engine10
AG
McInnis 03 said:

Link looks legit...My Thesis would be Amazon contracting Palantir to build a a new last mile logistics platform using Foundry to plumb and aggregate the data, and setup/manage what package goes into each truck, what order the packages are loaded in, and routes for drivers. "Last mile" being amazon packaging from warehouse to your doorstep to my knowledge.

Might be a demo to submit for a bid, or active work not announced yet. PLTR @ $50 overnight if that's real.

More on Foundry:
Quote:

Palantir Foundry is a platform that reimagines how people use data by removing the barriers between back-end data management and front-end data analysis. Foundry enables users with varying technical ability and deep subject matter expertise to work meaningfully with data. With Foundry, anyone can source, connect, and transform data into any shape they desire, then use it to take action.

Esteban du Plantier
AG
So calendars are really mystical to me, almost like how can you lose money? Unless you have massive iv crush or gamma risk holding the short too close to expiration.

Help me out with this idea. Buy a far otm call leap on a stock at historically low IV, then sell monthly calls at that strike. Invariably theta will win and eventually IV will spike causing your leap to spike.

What am I not seeing?
frankm01
Nm
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
Futures not looking bueno. All depends on globex.
Philip J Fry
AG
Username checks out.

Or MFBarnes.
kyledr04
AG
Engine10 said:

McInnis 03 said:

More on Foundry:
Quote:

Palantir Foundry is a platform that reimagines how people use data by removing the barriers between back-end data management and front-end data analysis. Foundry enables users with varying technical ability and deep subject matter expertise to work meaningfully with data. With Foundry, anyone can source, connect, and transform data into any shape they desire, then use it to take action.

If Foundry is half as good as PLTR makes it sounds I'd expect Amazon might acquire the whole company especially after the stock has tanked. Being able to simplify unstructured data in a way that makes it easier to navigate would be epic.

Engine10
AG
This is, more or less, what they are building for the Army in their mission command platform as I understand it. Bit of a stretch but the same concepts re: gather, organize, and present all kinds of active data flow in order to make better tactical decisions.
Philip J Fry
AG
So Uhhh. Correct me if I'm wrong, but would now be an excellent time to buy Fruit? They crossed over a major support line and their RSI is in the 30s. Thinking about throwing on a few more shares here to hedge my losses.
mazag08
AG
Philip J Fry said:

So Uhhh. Correct me if I'm wrong, but would now be an excellent time to buy Fruit? They crossed over a major support line and their RSI is in the 30s. Thinking about throwing on a few more shares here to hedge my losses.

Seems like it. But I'm watching closely tomorrow. Want to make sure we don't trickle down more before the rebound.
FJ43
Morning all...

Early premarket pretty flat. Activity low in comparison to what I am used to seeing at first trades.

God speed to the BULLS gettin' angry and retaking the hill.

Wealth gained hastily will dwindle. but whoever gathers little by little will increase it.
Proverbs 13:11

Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
FJ43 said:

Morning all...

Early premarket pretty flat. Activity low in comparison to what I am used to seeing at first trades.

God speed to the BULLS gettin' angry and retaking the hill.

McInnis 03
AG
Thank you. To Engine10 also
***If this post is on Business and Investing, take it with a grain of salt. I am wrong way more than I am right (but I am less wrong than I used to be) and if you follow me you will be too.***

B&I Key:
McInnis 03
AG
They're going to force me to load up PLTR in an unreasonable way aren't they?

B&I Key:
Hendrix
AG
My basis is 26 and I'm a little annoyed. If it drops to the low20s high teens I'll add again.
Engine10
AG
We're right back in the previous consolidation zone. Considering shares myself! Or maybe some 22/23 leaps to keep the cost down and keep some cash sidelined in case we get super rowdy
FJ43
McInnis 03 said:

Wondering if their is a shares/covered calls then an options play here. Straight calls, vertical, etc.
Wealth gained hastily will dwindle. but whoever gathers little by little will increase it.
Proverbs 13:11

Engine10
AG
Definitely covering all share buys here - premiums too juicy not to try and harvest
ravingfans
AG
BlueTaze said:

$88 on DXY is also support to watch. If dollar is bottoming and heading into a squeeze we know what that could mean for asset prices.

Also, for put buyers and hedgers, SEAS looks like it may present a good opportunity above $50.

For us Novices, could you help us understand what the dollar bottoming might mean for asset values? Are you talking about inflation/hyper-inflation?
Ccutamu
Has anyone who is signed up for OA's seminar tomorrow received the link for the meeting?
AgCPA95
AG
Ccutamu said:

Has anyone who is signed up for OA's seminar tomorrow received the link for the meeting?
For the last seminar, it wasn't sent until the afternoon/evening before so expect it later today.
Red Red Wine
AG
Looking to buy today - what's my lucky roll of the dice gonna be today. Anybody have another SAVA laying around?

Praying for GREEN for everyone today so we can all have a nice weekend.

Engine10
AG
FJ43 said:

McInnis 03 said:

Wondering if their is a shares/covered calls then an options play here. Straight calls, vertical, etc.

FWIW the PLTR subreddit tested the link and agrees its likely legit, but to what end who knows.
Quote:

This URL redirects to Midway, which is the internal authentication system for Amazon employees. That means it's not just that Palantir is an AWS customer, but they're integrating their software with Amazon's internal services.

A lookup of amazon.dev with https://lookup.icann.org/lookup tells us that Amazon indeed owns this domain name, so it's a legit URL.
Agswinning
Ccutamu said:

Which one is tomorrow? I missed the last one.
First Page Last Page
Page 3350 of 6618

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.