Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

24,056,334 Views | 231697 Replies | Last: 22 min ago by Brian Earl Spilner
mazag08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
gougler08 said:

mazag08 said:

Has anyone followed MMP?

Sitting at $40.59, $7 below it's lowest analyst price target.

Pays a dividend of $1.0275 quarterly.. roughly 10% cash on cash at this price. And while options chain is meh, you could sell July $52.5 call for $0.50.

Granted, 4th quarter earnings were down from 2019 due to Covid and oil being down in 2020. So some risk if they don't get back to pre-Covid levels. But if they do, the dividend will likely go even higher.

I'm watching this one. Need to do more research.

Chart looks good if it holds above $40, may be a good play for my 401k with the dividend + still some upside if it can get to pre-Covid numbers at some point

Yeah this would be an IRA play for me.
Madmarttigan
AG
I will never ever use a broker that has liquidity problems enough to restrict trades like that. Don't care how much they offer.
Formerly tv1113
astroaggie13
AG
Ragoo said:

Figured out how to TTM Squeeze scan on TOS desktop and then convert that scan to a watchlist.

I do that and make an alert when something gets added so that I can get notified on my mobile. It's a useful technique for those that do 95% of their stuff on TOS mobile app since you can't search for squeezes and set alerts for them
Gig em Stros
Mostly Foggy Recollection
Selling May or August calls on CLOV look really nice right now.

Was averaged at $12.40 after the large dip and sold the May $20s for $2.40 yesterday. Half of my shares.

SpongeBob
AG
Any recommendations for podcasts that discuss trading?
Ragoo
AG

agdaddy04
AG
When you guys started out selling for short term capital gains, what'd you start doing on taxes? Seen reference earlier to paying quarterly. Do most of y'all do that?
Ccutamu
Guitarsoup said:

StrawberryFields said:

Guitarsoup said:

TDA question:

Can I create a Roth IRA for my wife, but link it so I can trade in it under my account?
Yes, you can link multiple accounts together. I've done this with several of ours. Just look for the "Link/Add Acct" button on the main landing page when you logon.

Thanks. When you link them, you can have privileges to trade/manage in that account? You aren't just able to see it, right?
Does anyone using ATP on Fidelity know if you can do the same as above in TDA?
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Thundergon said:

tv1113 said:

Already deleted Robinhood never using that garbage again

I received an email from Robinhood yesterday stating they would match up to 5% (max of $150) of any deposit I made thru Feb 19th. I also noticed on Friday apparently they allow 0 DTE trades now. Interesting, that tells me they are trying everything they can to keep people from leaving.

So if i put 3k in rh they'll give me $150? I hate robinhood but I'll do that
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
agdaddy04 said:

Engine10 said:

I've got a 10-15% portion of funds in ARKK - flipping weeklies or monthlies on it depending on performance. Yielding 1-2% on the premium if not called, 4-6% if called. Do that 25-30 times a year assuming ARKK doesn't totally tank, not a bad way to earn a living.

This is the kind of thing I need to understand better. Is that type of information covered in OA's seminar?

Read/youtube up on selling cash secured puts, selling covered calls, and "the wheel strategy"

Engine, seems like buying arkk makes more sense than trying to chase cathie's trades!
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
If Derek Coatney is bullish, we are very near a top.
gougler08
AG
agdaddy04 said:

When you guys started out selling for short term capital gains, what'd you start doing on taxes? Seen reference earlier to paying quarterly. Do most of y'all do that?

2020 was my first year of having a significant amount of short term gains so I'm interested to see what impact it has on my taxes, then I'll start to plan for 2021
agdaddy04
AG
Can't withdraw it for 60 days.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
gougler08 said:

agdaddy04 said:

2020 was my first year of having a significant amount of short term gains so I'm interested to see what impact it has on my taxes, then I'll start to plan for 2021

I pay quarterly, but not the full amount. My accountant handles it for me.
LarryL
Maybe this will give us a boost on $PINS

$30,000 Millionaire
AG
To say more, figure out what tax bracket you will be in and set aside that money. You'll want to be within 20% in the first 3 quarters - remember it's estimated. You'll want to get as close as you can for the 4Q payment for the entire year.

For those that are worried, the government penalties for under payment are not that bad and an argument can be made that you could more than make up the difference with conservative covered calls.

Personally, I try to be as close as possible to the tax law but give myself some breathing room in case I have a draw down. In most years, I'm more in the long term gain and 1099-DIV camp, and that's very predictable.
ag94whoop
AG
I think Short term gains are essentially treated like regular income

So you are taxed at whatever your regular tax bracket indicates
gougler08
AG
$30,000 Millionaire said:

To say more, figure out what tax bracket you will be in and set aside that money. You'll want to be within 20% in the first 3 quarters - remember it's estimated. You'll want to get as close as you can for the 4Q payment for the entire year.

For those that are worried, the government penalties for under payment are not that bad and an argument can be made that you could more than make up the difference with conservative covered calls.

Personally, I try to be as close as possible to the tax law but give myself some breathing room in case I have a draw down. In most years, I'm more in the long term gain and 1099-DIV camp, and that's very predictable.

So I've always just done my own taxes since fidelity provides all the paperwork and can automatically transfer in to TurboTax...certainly agree with keeping the money to the side but I don't know if it makes a difference lying quarterly vs. just at normal times?
ClutchCityAg
Taxes ****ing suck.
Let it ride
Philip J Fry
AG
NRD09 said:

Thundergon said:

tv1113 said:

I received an email from Robinhood yesterday stating they would match up to 5% (max of $150) of any deposit I made thru Feb 19th. I also noticed on Friday apparently they allow 0 DTE trades now. Interesting, that tells me they are trying everything they can to keep people from leaving.

Sounds like they are hemorrhaging "customers"
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
agdaddy04 said:

Can't withdraw it for 60 days.

Well I'll never be able to withdraw the first 3k i put into robinhood, so 60 days is a big improvement!
agdaddy04
AG
Oh okay. I've just never had to pay quarterly before.

Interesting about the long term and 1099-DIV. is that because most of the trades you're posting on here are in retirement accounts?
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
You can also use your day job withholding to meet your total tax burden as well.
Ragoo
AG
gougler08 said:

So I've always just done my own taxes since fidelity provides all the paperwork and can automatically transfer in to TurboTax...certainly agree with keeping the money to the side but I don't know if it makes a difference lying quarterly vs. just at normal times?
change your W-4 to withhold more payroll tax and see where the dust settles at the end of the year?
Ragoo
AG

You can also use your day job withholding to meet your total tax burden as well.
yep, I posted the same. Update the W-4 to remove any deductions, flip over to the back and make additional tax payments. Take away some monthly cash flow, but if that is really important probably shouldn't be short term trading.
Guitarsoup
AG
You can pay all your quarterlies in the 4th Quarter. You can just withhold more from your normal job.

No penalties as long as you are within 1k (I think) or what you owe total.
ClutchCityAg
Philip J Fry said:

NRD09 said:

Thundergon said:

tv1113 said:

Was never sure what their product was that they were making money on, which means the users were the product
Let it ride
agdaddy04
AG

Good point. Thanks.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
I feel like back when i had a full time contractor gig (10 years ago) , the first year it was kosher to pay quarterly based on whatever your total burden was the previous year, then going forward you had to be more accurate. Am i misremembering?
BrokeAssAggie

Agree, I'm no tax expert by any means but I think you will be fine unless you are bringing in over $250 to $300K
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
ClutchCityAg said:

Philip J Fry said:

NRD09 said:

Thundergon said:

tv1113 said:

Was never sure what their product was that they were making money on, which means the users were the product

People act like this is a big deal, but it's also true for probably 99% of all your non-work digital interactions. All social media, every Google search, alexa, possibly your nest thermostat, Amazon/prime are all collecting data to sell to somebody and/or use to market to you and people like you. Don't get me wrong, rh still sucks...

Edit: also fitbit, and rh is also not the only broker that sells order flow
LarryL
This chart of $ON looks interesting to me. Would these be considered "goal posts"? Also looks like it hit the Model T this week?

ClutchCityAg
Oh yeah, if you've seen the Social Dilemma documentary on Netflix it illustrates it pretty well that our attention is highly coveted and for sale to the highest bidder
Let it ride
FbgTxAg
AG

What day job?
The greatest argument ever made against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
ClutchCityAg said:

Oh yeah, if you've seen the Social Dilemma documentary on Netflix it illustrates it pretty well that our attention is highly coveted and for sale to the highest bidder

I haven't, will have to check it out, though it will surely not help with my paranoias. Oh and i wasn't stating the above because I'm cool with it, because I'm not. I just have come to accept the reality and try to stay cognitive of my digital presence/footprint. My hackles raise when i see/hear a nuro car
First Page Last Page
Page 3130 of 6620

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.