Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

24,042,541 Views | 231653 Replies | Last: 23 min ago by ProgN
FbgTxAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Easy. Don't have a wife.
The greatest argument ever made against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter.
FTAG 2000
AG
cptthunder said:

Wanted to say thank you to who ever it was that posted the google doc of the basis tracker spreadsheet
I finally had time today and got up to date on all my share/option plays and its great

Whoa, where was this?

Been trying to build one myself, but if there's a good one already out there, would be interested.
ClutchCityAg
PearlJammin said:

ClutchCityAg said:

Just reloaded on UVXY calls that I had sold, this time went out to June.
Is it a good strategy to put a lot of your cash towards UVXY to work as both a hedge and a way to increase your cash should the market dump? Getting in around $11 seems to be a good price to accumilate a bunch of shares if you have cash on hand.

Buying calls, although considered "insurance", eventually lose value should the market continue to climb. To me, it's much easier to manage.
OA advised using about 2-3% of your account as hedges in the seminar if I recall correctly... I like using calls as hedges. OA said think of it like insurance, you pay it regularly and hope you never need to use it.

I buy 1-2 months out and if they slowly decay to zero then I don't mind because that means the market was green and I was making money on other plays. If there is a big dip I use the spike on the calls to go net free and roll my profits into new hedges further out.

ETA: Using shares could mean you don't lose on the decay, but the gains wouldn't be enough to offset whatever losses your portfolio has unless you have a large amount of the UVXY shares- in which case your gains are limited when the market is going up.
Let it ride
wanderer
cptthunder said:

Wanted to say thank you to who ever it was that posted the google doc of the basis tracker spreadsheet
I finally had time today and got up to date on all my share/option plays and its great

You're welcome, glad it's working for you. It's nothing fancy, but does the job for me to keep a little bit of sanity in all the different positions.
sts7049
AG
the premiums on SAVA calls...
Rice and Fries
WWR about to blow through resistance on the uptake.
ClutchCityAg
wanderer said:

cptthunder said:

You're welcome, glad it's working for you. It's nothing fancy, but does the job for me to keep a little bit of sanity in all the different positions.
Yes this has been awesome for me. Thank you for sharing!
Let it ride
Andy07
AG
Challenger 17 said:

I don't see a $32.5 call offered for 2/19 on TOS
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
I bought back WWR Feb sold puts for $0.25 and I sold May $5P for $1.52.
Bird Poo
AG
ClutchCityAg said:

PearlJammin said:

ClutchCityAg said:

Is it a good strategy to put a lot of your cash towards UVXY to work as both a hedge and a way to increase your cash should the market dump? Getting in around $11 seems to be a good price to accumilate a bunch of shares if you have cash on hand.

Buying calls, although considered "insurance", eventually lose value should the market continue to climb. To me, it's much easier to manage.
OA advised using about 2-3% of your account as hedges in the seminar if I recall correctly... I like using calls as hedges. OA said think of it like insurance, you pay it regularly and hope you never need to use it.

I buy 1-2 months out and if they slowly decay to zero then I don't mind because that means the market was green and I was making money on other plays. If there is a big dip I use the spike on the calls to go net free and roll my profits into new hedges further out.
Yes understood. I'm just wondering if putting that money towards shares instead of calls would be better since they retain their value. Just keep adding shares of UVXY each month you're up. You can also capture lower tax rates if you sell further out (provided you took advantage of a crash at that time).

Edit: You're right about needing more shares to offset losses. Would need >10% of portfolio hedged in shares I would think.
McInnis 03
AG
Andy07 said:

Challenger 17 said:

I do.
***If this post is on Business and Investing, take it with a grain of salt. I am wrong way more than I am right (but I am less wrong than I used to be) and if you follow me you will be too.***

B&I Key:
ETH - Extended Trading Hours --- RTH - Regular Trading Hours
ORH - Opening Range (1st 30min) High --- ORL - Opening Range Low
R1, R2, R3 - Resistance 1, 2, or 3 --- S1, S2, S3 - Support 1, 2 or 3
cptthunder
wanderer said:

cptthunder said:

Nothing fancy is the only way i can make since of things. If i try and get cure with stuff it never fails to snowball out of control

Your sheet is alot cleaner then my notebook with who knows how many notes in the margin and scribbles
wanderer
$30,000 Millionaire said:

Trying to understand the logic on buying the Feb $5 puts back. You just wanting to lock in the gains instead of risking the ticker tanking over the next 2 weeks?
ClutchCityAg
PearlJammin said:

ClutchCityAg said:

PearlJammin said:

ClutchCityAg said:

Yes understood. I'm just wondering if putting that money towards shares instead of calls would be better since they retain their value. Just keep adding shares of UVXY each month you're up. You can also capture lower tax rates if you sell further out (provided you took advantage of a crash at that time).
It would depend on how you are sizing your positions I think, because the gains from shares on a dip in the market would be less than if you were holding calls. Maybe if you had a core hedge holding of shares but then supplemented it with calls that could give you the best of both worlds?
Let it ride
fastgreens
AG
Just want to say THANKS! for all of the information that the OGs of this thread are sharing!!!

I am a longtime texags lurker (mostly football) and 3rd gen Aggie. I started an Etrade cash account with 1k less than three weeks ago to teach myself more about investing/day trading, and then I found this forum... and so far I'm up approx 34% which includes some stupid newb errors that resulted in small losses! I read the first 20 or so pages and most of 2020 of this thread. Hoping to get into the options trading someday soon, but really want to get my bearings nice and greasy before playing with more hard earned savings!

I am excitedly looking forward to the future! Thanks again to everyone that contributes... Gig'em!
oldarmy1
AG
TIGR headed for a daily cup. What a strong pattern that would be!
leoj
AG
oldarmy1 said:

Thanks for the call out, followed on $ZI and $TIGR, seems like I hopefully entered near the intraday lows for both.
spud1910
AG
leoj said:

oldarmy1 said:

Thanks for the call out, followed on $ZI and $TIGR, seems like I hopefully entered near the intraday lows for both.
Same here. Both looking good so far. Thanks OA.
Andy07
AG
McInnis 03 said:

Andy07 said:

Challenger 17 said:

I do.

Weird, I see them for 2/12 but not for 2/19
Aggie118
AG
Want to draw yalls attention to CETY opened at .10 up to ,17 a share. Massive volume. The average volume is 730,000 it is at 16 million today.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
wanderer said:

Trying to understand the logic on buying the Feb $5 puts back. You just wanting to lock in the gains instead of risking the ticker tanking over the next 2 weeks?
WWR has a bullish pattern and I made a cost benefit analysis of grinding out the $0.25 remaining for Feb vs. the premium I can get for selling May right now. I believe it's in my favor.
Mr President Elect
AG
Change your "Strikes" to "ALL"
FbgTxAg
AG
Aggie118 said:

Want to draw yalls attention to CETY opened at .10 up to ,17 a share. Massive volume. The average volume is 730,000 it is at 16 million today.

That's all I need is another OTC in my basket.

Ok I'll throw 1K at it.
The greatest argument ever made against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter.
FTAG 2000
AG
wanderer said:

cptthunder said:

Y'all got any more of them spreadsheets /Chapelle Show
Drillbit4
AG

I can't believe the May $5 are still that high after this run up. I sold the same. Great deal there.
McKinney Ag69
AG
oldarmy1 said:

Come on TIGR!
BrokeAssAggie
oldarmy1 said:

Andy07
AG
Mr President Elect said:

Change your "Strikes" to "ALL"
Yup, still not there, no big deal I just don't understand why
FTAG 2000
AG
Drillbit4 said:

I can't believe the May $5 are still that high after this run up. I sold the same. Great deal there.
First option trade here.

If I sell to open puts, I'm in at this price like you guys are saying, correct?

And as long as it stays above $5 I'm pocketing the premium, if it goes below I have to buy, correct?
McKinney Ag69
AG
Brewmaster
AG
Rice and Fries said:

WWR about to blow through resistance on the uptake.
Carlo4
AG
CrazyRichAggie said:

oldarmy1 said:

FJ43
AG 2000' said:

Drillbit4 said:

First option trade here.

If I sell to open puts, I'm in at this price like you guys are saying, correct?

And as long as it stays above $5 I'm pocketing the premium, if it goes below I have to buy, correct?
Correct.

Have to is only if the put buyer assigns them or 'makes' you take them. If they are at or below $5 I would count on it.
Wealth gained hastily will dwindle. but whoever gathers little by little will increase it.
Proverbs 13:11

gigemJTH12
AG
what model is this?

its my work productivity since this whole meme stock crap started. and I wasnt even in them! just screwed everything up

Red Red Wine
AG
So are holding SAVA to $1200?

I am net free. What's a good exit price (besides $1200)!

Edit: Whomever put us on to SAVA deserves a big thanks and nice steak dinner. We need to figure out a "reward" system on here for big winners. Not sure what to do with big losers!!!
First Page Last Page
Page 3054 of 6619

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.