Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

24,037,741 Views | 231639 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by Heineken-Ashi
ProgN
How long do you want to ignore this user?
CrazyRichAggie said:

I step away for 2 hours to take my smoking hot wife out and come back to 60 posts to catch up on..
Rule 1, is still enforceable in here!

Pics or it didn't happen.
Ags4DaWin
You can change ur nickname in the chat.

I think most posters are trying to keep their texag nickname and discord nickname the same to reduce confusion and help with like u said knowing which posters to give more or less weight to.

I get zero weight and I am 100% okay with that.
Madmarttigan
AG
Holy **** there are over 300 already on discord lol
Formerly tv1113
khkman22
AG
FbgTxAg said:

frankm01 said:

Not if you buy it back first.

Interesting. Seems like they would've pulled the trigger when it was 2.50 above strike today if they wanted them. I'll check it out. Thanks for the info!
The reason people don't exercise early is there is extrinsic value in addition to the intrinsic value when an option is ITM. Your call may have been $2.50 in the money (intrinsic value), but what is the current price of the option? I can tell you it's more than $2.50.

So instead of exercising and having a $2.50 gain as soon as exercising (not including premium paid for the option), the option may be at a $5 current price and they have an additional $2.50 gain right now (extrinsic value).

There are other reasons not to exercise, such as not having the capital to exercise the options (treating the options as a trade and not a hold). They may not want the additional risk of having more capital at stake with every 100 shares as compared to the initial capital at risk when buying the option.

In general, the most likely time to exercise early would be if they want to capture the dividend from a stock. But you will normally see the option be carried to expiration before exercising, although you should be prepared for it to be exercised at any time if you are short.
BrokeAssAggie
Prognightmare said:

CrazyRichAggie said:

I step away for 2 hours to take my smoking hot wife out and come back to 60 posts to catch up on..
Rule 1, is still enforceable in here!

Pics or it didn't happen.

gougler08
AG
In a year plus of selling covered calls, I've only been called out once before the expiration date
Guitarsoup
AG
Touchless said:

One thing on discord, it's hard to know who is who there. On here, I've built up a certain level of trust from some of our primary posters and will weight their opinion more heavily than others. On discord, I don't really have that reference point.

I like being able to paste pictures easier and the search function does also seems better.

For both, there is a lot of general chatter which has really picked up over the last month or so. I don't know that I like the "chat room" feel as much as I feel like that encourages more general talking vs the subject at hand. I know when this thread has veered off topic in the past, it was generally policed pretty well to stay on topic and not get too derailed. No one got mad about that though as it was a community policing kind of thing where everyone kept everyone in check.

Also, if anyone was offended that I said I put more weight on some peoples insight than others, if it makes you feel better, I'd put less weight on my own insight over theirs as well.
I agree with how we put weight on some other's insight. I don't mean for the discord to overtake this, and I think there is a place for both. I think Discord is a LOT easier to scroll through and search through, but this is probably better to really flesh things out. Discord is also easier to post from other discords (like Atlas and Sapphire) and twitter, imo.

I highlighted some of the thought leaders in this group on the discord, so when guys like 30k, OA, Prog, FJ, Ranger, Ragoo post - their name will be highlighted in yellow. I am open to other suggestions as well, as that is not an exhaustive list. I just don't know everyone's name on Discord.
Spudman
AG
Prognightmare said:

$30,000 Millionaire said:

I think we need a vote from some of the big contributors (apologies if I missed anyone):

• OA
  • McFly
  • Prog
  • Ranger
  • Foggy
  • FJ
  • Thunder
  • Brew

I like the idea of Ags helping Ags. I'm personally open to either. I just don't want to miss good ideas and I don't want the community to split. Specific to TA, I think we should consider asking for staff to make certain posts more visible.
Thank you for including me on that list, I'm humbled. Although, you're missing on that list as well sir!

I'm not leaving this thread and I doubt anyone listed is either, especially OA, this is his creation and it's growing.

This next part is not for you 30K:

Over the last few weeks I've read posts that "lurkers" come out from the shadows and post. If you're a lurker, please don't be timid. Everyone on this thread wants everyone to succeed, create wealth and prosper. The amount of market knowledge shared freely is invaluable. However, people here can't help if you don't ask. Just read OA's OP on pg 1 so you don't ask what a "model T" is or you will get justifiably teased. The visitors to this thread has grown exponentially and that's a good thing because this craft is a life changing vehicle for everyone here and we're all on the same team.

This is the best forum that I've ever had the pleasure to participate in. Honestly, I no longer go to F16 and only come here and check in on recruiting. We have liberals, many of whom I've sparred with on F16, and conservatives but here we really are on the same side in here, like on game day. With that said, don't feel intimidated to ask questions. No one is born a stock market wizard and we all started this journey from the same spot.

Apologies for the diatribe, but I thought this needed to be said.

Gig'em
Prog
Really appreciate this post Prog and all you other longtime contributors. As a recent follower of this thread, I'm beyond impressed and humbled by all that you share. It's a very neat community, and I hope to begin contributing someday.
khaos288
AG
Another dev and I are trying to come up with a posting solution that lets oa post in one place and it hits in whatever medium he wants.
Touchless
AG
Also, I do think it would be helpful to have an education related thread (or two or three based on the topic) and OA could then also link to those threads in the first post. Model T has already been included in the first post, but maybe a thread on preferred books or videos and another one for all about options. Option basics, how to use options to buy/sell stocks (McInnis had a great post on this earlier today or yesterday), different option strategies (fly's, condors, spreads, strangles, straddles, etc.).

I think a lot of newbie questions can clutter up the thread from time to time and this board being as nice and genuine as it is results in several responses. I 100% don't want to discourage newbies asking questions (I do this myself still), but I think a place to reference others to for some general basic understanding would be great. This thread moves entirely too fast for someone brand new to options to follow. I know this, because this was me in April and this thread moved significantly slower even at that time. It's 10 times faster now and I still struggle to follow but at least have a stronger understanding of some basics and terminology.
ProgN
Outkicked your coverage, nice.
aggiedaniel06
AG
khaos288 said:

Another dev and I are trying to come up with a posting solution that lets oa post in one place and it hits in whatever medium he wants.

Have you checked out WOOF?
Colt98
AG
Is it that hard for new people to go back and read this entire thread like I did a year and a half ago? Most basic questions that are continually ask have been covered many times in the thread. I've had guy tell me there are 3500+ pages...yada yada yada... If you haven't look through it all. Read it. I'm fortunate I have the time to stay on top of this thread most days. There have been times where I have to read 200 new post. I normally skip over most of the posters except the OG's. I have to admit the Discord today was fun and it also helped me find the Atlas Discord, but bt this thread, tweeter, and now discord.... wow, it could get a little overwhelming.

Now if we want to use Discord for questions and banter and someone would want to pull OA trades into there that would be great. I do see the benefits of being able to organize pages and that might be a way post questions. One thing great about this thread has been when new guys want to learn. It sharpens all of us.
McInnis 03
AG
So part of the difficulty in following this thread is me overposting and I recognize this and I apologize. Much of my posts are not super helpful nor do they give much guidance and I'm sorry about that. I consider this topic much akin to sitting with my friends at the picnic table pounding chips and salsa.

I will try to stay more on point and add value when able rather than be comic relief. The thread has gone parabolic and this is good, but it does get overwhelming.

I certainly am thankful that some of you hold me in high regard. I don't agree with you, and I still don't do a very good job with trades. I'm glad y'all manage my ideas better than I do!
***If this post is on Business and Investing, take it with a grain of salt. I am wrong way more than I am right (but I am less wrong than I used to be) and if you follow me you will be too.***

B&I Key:
ETH - Extended Trading Hours --- RTH - Regular Trading Hours
ORH - Opening Range (1st 30min) High --- ORL - Opening Range Low
R1, R2, R3 - Resistance 1, 2, or 3 --- S1, S2, S3 - Support 1, 2 or 3
Post removed:
by user
Colt98
AG
Well if its any cancellation. Your on the bottom of my OG list.... I enjoy your post.
Guitarsoup
AG
CrazyRichAggie said:

Could some post the discord link again?
https://discord.gg/DFuQBFh3
tremble
AG
Colt98 said:

Is it that hard for new people to go back and read this entire thread like I did a year and a half ago? Most basic questions that are continually ask have been covered many times in the thread. I've had guy tell me there are 3500+ pages...yada yada yada... If you haven't look through it all. Read it. I'm fortunate I have the time to stay on top of this thread most days. There have been times where I have to read 200 new post. I normally skip over most of the posters except the OG's. I have to admit the Discord today was fun and it also helped me find the Atlas Discord, but bt this thread, tweeter, and now discord.... wow, it could get a little overwhelming.

Now if we want to use Discord for questions and banter and someone would want to pull OA trades into there that would be great. I do see the benefits of being able to organize pages and that might be a way post questions. One thing great about this thread has been when new guys want to learn. It sharpens all of us.
It is honestly. It's incredibly time-consuming to use the TexAgs search function. At one point I was just looking through OA's most blue-starred posts, but the breadth of forums he posts in also makes it difficult. I can honestly probably turn off Twitter if Discord/TexAgs are the main sources of info. Twitter is sort of Discord for newbies, in a sense. It's much easier to do quick play-by-plays on Discord vs. Twitter threads, etc.

I'd like for this thread to remain as is, maybe focusing more on in-depth posting, as the format lends itself naturally toward easy reading for long posts. Discord is great for quick analysis but if you post a Model T dissertation, it's not gong to be as easy to read.
Maximus_Meridius
AG
McInnis 03 said:

So part of the difficulty in following this thread is me overposting and I recognize this and I apologize. Much of my posts are not super helpful nor do they give much guidance and I'm sorry about that. I consider this topic much akin to sitting with my friends at the picnic table pounding chips and salsa.

I will try to stay more on point and add value when able rather than be comic relief. The thread has gone parabolic and this is good, but it does get overwhelming.

I certainly am thankful that some of you hold me in high regard. I don't agree with you, and I still don't do a very good job with trades. I'm glad y'all manage my ideas better than I do!

Dude. Stop it. The multiple personality disorder has become thread tradition and if you stop it now, I WILL hop on the 7 hour flight to smack you in the head with your green hammer.

I don't really have anything meaningful to add to the TA/Discord discussion aside from if this thread wasn't here, I would probably accomplish a heck of a lot more at work. Pretty sure if I wasn't making money, my wife would be waaaaay more pissed about it. Not sure what scrolling through discord on my phone or iPad would be like.
Touchless
AG
I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure you came on this thread around the same time as me and I think you had very little, if any, experience with options at the time. That could be completely inaccurate, but that's what I remember. You can run circles around me by this point. The amount of time and effort you've put in this past year is impressive and the quality of plays you've brought to the board have improved greatly as well. Kudos to you and your diligence in learning new skills and hobbies.
djmeen95
AG
Maybe we can keep learning type questions for the weekend? And keep the week more focused on trading/trends/tips?

Might help keep the thread moving along.
gig em 02
McInnis 03 said:

Nope, you introduce more complex ways to trade while managing risk and I rarely if ever ask about it but I'm always running through scenarios to try and mix my style with yours to look for infinite return scenarios.

I ran through so many numbers on BB AMC and GME last week because the way the premiums moved almost allowed $0 spreads.
gig em 02
I know the slack didn't work before but we didn't go through 100 pages per day in the summer, I know this place will die down when the market crashes, but it's unmanageable right now.
ProgN
Touchless said:

I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure you came on this thread around the same time as me and I think you had very little, if any, experience with options at the time. That could be completely inaccurate, but that's what I remember. You can run circles around me by this point. The amount of time and effort you've put in this past year is impressive and the quality of plays you've brought to the board have improved greatly as well. Kudos to you and your diligence in learning new skills and hobbies.
I remember that. McInnis posted that he was giving up and leaving the board. I said that he wasn't going to leave, but I suggested he focus on his craft and get better. Not only did he, he has brought some strategies to the thread that I had to refamiliarize myself to. He went from throwing in the towel, to analyzing trades with knowledge, not emotion. All 3 McInnis's group hug on great picks, but he calls himself out when he's wrong. He's achieved a lot of maturity over the past year and a half. I promise you that he's still learning and everyone on this thread is intelligent and can do the same. It just takes time and commitment. I'm still calling dibs on his green hammer though.
Golf Ag
AG
Love this thread and have been a lurker since the summer when I had some more time and interest that got me hooked. Thank you OA and all the other knowledgeable posters for offering your time and tips!
FbgTxAg
AG
gig em 02 said:

I know the slack didn't work before but we didn't go through 100 pages per day in the summer, I know this place will die down when the market crashes, but it's unmanageable right now.

I will make money in the market if it crashes or not.

I just don't know HOW yet. But I'm learning from good Ags here everyday.
The greatest argument ever made against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter.
Post removed:
by user
McInnis 03
AG
third coast.. said:

I dont think introducing rules to this thread is the way to go. I do however think that a new one should be made every year and the old ones locked and archived. Something about threads with this many pages locks up browsers in my experience. It has happened on multiple computers and browsers for me.

I'm counting the days till we kill this one. We used to do this on the gen forum and they cracked well before this one
***If this post is on Business and Investing, take it with a grain of salt. I am wrong way more than I am right (but I am less wrong than I used to be) and if you follow me you will be too.***

B&I Key:
Post removed:
by user
wanderer
Let's create a discord group so that all the content and activity can be housed in one place......goes on to create 10-15 different groups within the discord channel.

Just kidding....kinda
frankm01
McInnis 03 said:

No way, brother.....dont change. You're plenty on point and any comic relief is warranted.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
I really think what we need most is a way to flag the posts of a few people so they are easy to find, like the staff posts in other threads. I can't imagine this would be hard for Brandon to replicate for us.
McInnis 03
AG
Bullish...

B&I Key:
Post removed:
by user
Ragoo
AG
I turned them off
First Page Last Page
Page 3043 of 6619

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.