Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

24,000,388 Views | 231604 Replies | Last: 40 min ago by Heineken-Ashi
$30,000 Millionaire
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
ES move is sort of concerning to me for an opex day.
spud1910
AG
mrad85 said:

Just wait you young pups. Pretty soon the hair in your nose and ears will grow faster than any hair on your head.

And it will all be grey.
Brewmaster
AG
Can always get into cycling (like me) or get real crazy like Ragoo and do triathlons... involves too much "yogging" for me though, lol

Ragoo
FJ43
$PHUN hitting $1.60 early premarket.
Wealth gained hastily will dwindle. but whoever gathers little by little will increase it.
Proverbs 13:11

59 South
AG
FJ, I can't express enough how impressed I am with your ability to get up so early.
Post removed:
by user
FJ43
59 South said:

FJ, I can't express enough how impressed I am with your ability to get up so early.
Morning! Still morning for you as well I think. I guess like anything you train yourself and it becomes the norm. There is just something to me being up in the morning for a while when its dark that is just flat motivating.

But many of y'all still have kids in the house and are managing all those aspects. Enjoy every single minute of that. It passes so quickly.
Wealth gained hastily will dwindle. but whoever gathers little by little will increase it.

FJ43
third coast.. said:

59 South said:

Posting on the thread before his usual rising time of 0345!
Well it was almost 4:30 before I posted then went back to my regularly scheduled routine I am on EST so have an hour on most that share their knowledge with us.

FJ43
$PLTR up about $1.36 or 5.2% premarket. May she rise to the moon today.

59 South
AG
FJ43 said:

59 South said:

Morning! Still morning for you as well I think. I guess like anything you train yourself and it becomes the norm. There is just something to me being up in the morning for a while when its dark that is just flat motivating.

But many of y'all still have kids in the house and are managing all those aspects. Enjoy every single minute of that. It passes so quickly.
You'd love it here in the winter when it doesn't start getting light until after 8am!

Agree on the kiddos, it's a lot of work and effort, but I'm sure I'll miss these times in the future.
59 South
AG
Sorry not sorry for the long post, but since this thread moves so fast, and a lot of you are newer to the lingo and strategy talk, I'm sharing some of my learnings and process that I have documented. This allows for successful upside while managing risk. Remember, this strategy does carry risk of loss. Always consider all the scenarios that could play out. In my real life example below, what happens if WWR closes at $4.99 today and then a massive share offering is announced Monday morning dropping the share price to $3.xx? Hopefully some find this useful

Position sizing for 'Net Free' accumulation (for first 'net free' cycle, target is Tier 1 size net free at time of mass accumulation starting, example below):

• Tier 1: single position size <=10% of account value, do not sell these shares unless you are cutting bait altogether and moving on, occasionally sell far out of the money covered calls on half, rarely sell covered calls on all
  • Tier 2: double position size, use this for swing trades and selling closer dated puts and/or covered calls with strikes closer to the share price to lower cost basis of core Tier 1
  • Tier 3: very seldom used, call these high conviction very rarely used scalp opportunities to lower Tier 1 cost basis, very risky as you are exposing up to 30% of your account to a single stock
  • Allow for half Tier sizing as well. For example, for speculative starter positions you can ease in to test the waters with 50% of your Tier 1 size

$WWR Example (this is what I started last week):

• Assume Tier 1 position size = $25k ($250k+ account), share price = $5 at time of accumulation start
  • Buy 5000 shares at $5 = $25,000 (Tier 1)
  • Sell 50 $5 puts out to next expiration date (Jan 15) at $.60 each = $3,000 in the bank ($25k - 3k = $22k cash to cover if exercised)
  • Sell up to 50 more $5 puts right before expiration if convicted, example: 10 filled at $.20 = $200 in the bank ($5k - 200 = $4800 cash to cover if exercised)
  • So after today, you'll end up in one of two situations:
1. If close is >$5: 5000 shares with $4.36 cost basis -or-
2. If close is <$5: 11,000 shares with $4.71 cost basis

Next Steps:

If 1) plays out, look to use Tier 2 strategy for another cycle by selling February $5 puts for $1+ or buying 5000 more shares and selling $5 February covered calls for $1+. You can even split that and sell 25 puts and buy 2500 shares to sell covered calls. your core Tier 1 position cost basis is then down to $4.36 - $1 = $3.36

If 2) plays out, look to unload the extra 1000 Tier 3 shares on any spike over $5 (look for $5.50+ to bank a $500 10% scalp lowering cost basis on Tier 1 another $.10). Sell covered calls on 5000 Tier 2 shares (you can get creative here and maybe split half and half between February $5 and March $7.50 calls these would average around $1 on any spike to $5.50-6.00) your core Tier 1 position cost basis is then down to $4.71 - .10 - $1 = $3.61

Rinse & repeat until your core Tier 1 position cost basis is $0.00. From there you can either just set notifications every $5 and forget about it -or- you can continue to add net free shares incrementally if you still think it's in accumulation mode (especially if you work net free sooner than expected). Once that tier 1 net free is established and you think you want more, it may make sense to try to add 1000 shares more net free at a time. For example, you buy 5000 shares again at $5, and then look to sell 4000 on a spike to previous resistance $6.25. Or you can sell calls out a month for $1 and use that capital to buy 1000 more shares. Viola, now you have 6000 net free shares.

Note you can scale this way down on lower priced stocks. For example, if your account is $10k, then your position size is 200 shares ($1k) and you can sell call and puts on 100 shares at a time.

Pointers/Lessons learned:

• Document your strategy and targets (I use OneNote)
  • Make a spreadsheet and log every transaction
  • Know your risk and don't over extend yourself
  • Know what you're buying
  • Don't panic and don't get euphoric
  • Don't high five or chest bump anybody until after you realize the profits
  • Laugh at your losers, and for the love of God, do not post sad face emojis every time the share price drops 1%
  • Mind the signature below!
If this post is on the B&I forum, lighten up it's just money!

Disclaimer: I'm not that smart.
FJ43
59 South said:

Sorry not sorry for the long post, but since this thread moves so fast, and a lot of you are newer to the lingo and strategy talk, I'm sharing some of my learnings and process that I have documented. This allows for successful upside while managing risk. Remember, this strategy does carry risk of loss. Always consider all the scenarios that could play out. In my real life example below, what happens if WWR closes at $4.99 today and then a massive share offering is announced Monday morning dropping the share price to $3.xx? Hopefully some find this useful

Position sizing for 'Net Free' accumulation (for first 'net free' cycle, target is Tier 1 size net free at time of mass accumulation starting, example below):

• Tier 1: single position size <=10% of account value, do not sell these shares unless you are cutting bait altogether and moving on, occasionally sell far out of the money covered calls on half, rarely sell covered calls on all
  • Tier 2: double position size, use this for swing trades and selling closer dated puts and/or covered calls with strikes closer to the share price to lower cost basis of core Tier 1
  • Tier 3: very seldom used, call these high conviction very rarely used scalp opportunities to lower Tier 1 cost basis, very risky as you are exposing up to 30% of your account to a single stock
  • Allow for half Tier sizing as well. For example, for speculative starter positions you can ease in to test the waters with 50% of your Tier 1 size

$WWR Example (this is what I started last week):

• Assume Tier 1 position size = $25k ($250k+ account), share price = $5 at time of accumulation start
  • Buy 5000 shares at $5 = $25,000 (Tier 1)
  • Sell 50 $5 puts out to next expiration date (Jan 15) at $.60 each = $3,000 in the bank ($25k - 3k = $22k cash to cover if exercised)
  • Sell up to 50 more $5 puts right before expiration if convicted, example: 10 filled at $.20 = $200 in the bank ($5k - 200 = $4800 cash to cover if exercised)
  • So after today, you'll end up in one of two situations:
1. If close is >$5: 5000 shares with $4.36 cost basis -or-
2. If close is <$5: 11,000 shares with $4.71 cost basis

Next Steps:

If 1) plays out, look to use Tier 2 strategy for another cycle by selling February $5 puts for $1+ or buying 5000 more shares and selling $5 February covered calls for $1+. You can even split that and sell 25 puts and buy 2500 shares to sell covered calls. your core Tier 1 position cost basis is then down to $4.36 - $1 = $3.36

If 2) plays out, look to unload the extra 1000 Tier 3 shares on any spike over $5 (look for $5.50+ to bank a $500 10% scalp lowering cost basis on Tier 1 another $.10). Sell covered calls on 5000 Tier 2 shares (you can get creative here and maybe split half and half between February $5 and March $7.50 calls these would average around $1 on any spike to $5.50-6.00) your core Tier 1 position cost basis is then down to $4.71 - .10 - $1 = $3.61

Rinse & repeat until your core Tier 1 position cost basis is $0.00. From there you can either just set notifications every $5 and forget about it -or- you can continue to add net free shares incrementally if you still think it's in accumulation mode (especially if you work net free sooner than expected). Once that tier 1 net free is established and you think you want more, it may make sense to try to add 1000 shares more net free at a time. For example, you buy 5000 shares again at $5, and then look to sell 4000 on a spike to previous resistance $6.25. Or you can sell calls out a month for $1 and use that capital to buy 1000 more shares. Viola, now you have 6000 net free shares.

Note you can scale this way down on lower priced stocks. For example, if your account is $10k, then your position size is 200 shares ($1k) and you can sell call and puts on 100 shares at a time.

Pointers/Lessons learned:

• Document your strategy and targets (I use OneNote)
  • Make a spreadsheet and log every transaction
  • Know your risk and don't over extend yourself
  • Know what you're buying
  • Don't panic and don't get euphoric
  • Don't high five or chest bump anybody until after you realize the profits
  • Laugh at your losers, and for the love of God, do not post sad face emojis every time the share price drops 1%
  • Mind the signature below!

Great post 59 and exactly why I hope so many come here. I know I do to gain knowledge, understanding and surround myself with guys like you that share their wisdom. Thanks for taking the time to lay that all out!. Copy/pasted and saved for future referral back to it!

BrokeAssAggie
Great post. 59! Very easy to follow and understand.
Agswinning
Great post and very informative. Thank you!
FJ43
FJ43 said:

Now at $26.85 or 7.75% up.

Bob Knights Paper Hands
Good post! Could have used a few more chaps or govna's to help me read it in Mary Poppins chimney sweep voice.

Did you use this process on some of your big trades this year like ROKU and BA?
BrokeAssAggie
FJ43 said:

FJ43 said:

Are you in shares and calls?
59 South
AG
FJ43 said:

FJ43 said:

Call me crazy, but if this thing really breaks out (clears 28-30 range with some volume), it could easily be 40 within a couple weeks. It's a trendy retail stock right now that can get silly.

FJ43
CrazyRichAggie said:

FJ43 said:

FJ43 said:

Calls only. Feb 30c

I may pick up some starter position shares this morning though.

FJ43
59 South said:

FJ43 said:

FJ43 said:

Call me crazy, but if this thing really breaks out (clears 28-30 range with some volume), it could easily be 40 within a couple weeks. It's a trendy retail stock right now that can get silly.
It made #8 of the top 20 most trending stocks on social media on my evening report but wasn't even there on the 2:00 report. It has buzz at the moment.

BrokeAssAggie
FJ43 said:

CrazyRichAggie said:

FJ43 said:

FJ43 said:

Calls only. Feb 30c

Same. Curious to see where these open up today.
59 South
AG
Bob Knights Liver said:

Good post! Could have used a few more chaps or govna's to help me read it in Mary Poppins chimney sweep voice.

Did you use this process on some of your big trades this year like ROKU and BA?
Ha!

I'm just now starting to get more into involved accumulations like this. WWR will be my first fully pre-planned out one per the posted process. I've bought and held and then sold a % to go net free a few times, but never fully implemented the repeated selling puts and covered calls strategies due to not having enough time to manage it all. I can't handle more than one or two of these at a time. Right now, I'm taking a less involved approach to CWH and FUBO. Something between buy and hold for doubles+ and posted process.

In the last couple of years, I've done more buying lots cost averaging in and waiting for big winners to just sell a portion to go net free. This has mostly been in accounts that don't have options (401k). I've done it with NIO, ROKU, SQ, JD, MGNI (I got greedy and lost all my net free shares selling $20 calls) and almost AMD (when it gets to 110). I'm pretty darn simple and can't handle more than about 10 stocks at a time. Right now I only own:

AMZN (first and longest term hold)
NIO (net free 12x)
ROKU (net free 9x)
SQ (net free 4x)
JD (net free 3x)
AMD (almost net free 2x from 54 cost basis)
CWH (29 cost basis)
WWR
FUBO (30 cost basis)
MBIO (small half position cost basis 3.50)

I do some really small options trades as well for fun (position size is about .25% of total account)

FJ43
CrazyRichAggie said:

FJ43 said:

CrazyRichAggie said:

FJ43 said:

FJ43 said:

Calls only. Feb 30c

Same. Curious to see where these open up today.
I will be watching the $25.63ish area. If it retraces to there from the spike at the open first 10 minutes, which was yesterday's high, and bounces that is where I will enter.

BrokeAssAggie
When you say enter, you mean pick up shares?
FJ43
CrazyRichAggie said:

When you say enter, you mean pick up shares?
Yep. Then I will set a stop and my alerts so I can manage other positions.

It is in a nice consolidation channel now but like 59 said this could pick up. Please disregard my lines as they are mostly notes to myself.

59 South
AG
FJ43 said:

59 South said:

FJ43 said:

FJ43 said:

It made #8 of the top 20 most trending stocks on social media on my evening report but wasn't even there on the 2:00 report. It has buzz at the moment.
Behold the power and new found cult status of Cathie Wood and ARK!

cgh1999
AG
Rumor mentioned on CNBC just now that Biden administration would cancel the PLTR contract for operation warp speed.
FJ43
$PHUN at $1.30-$1.34. I picked up more trading shares here.

FJ43
cgh1999 said:

Rumor mentioned on CNBC just now that Biden administration would cancel the PLTR contract for operation warp speed.
That sounds about right. Let's derail everything possible as quick as possible. His tweets and statements going forward may move markets more than Trump near term.

OutlawAG04
Great post 59!
gig em 02
FJ43 said:

cgh1999 said:

That sounds about right. Let's derail everything possible as quick as possible. His tweets and statements going forward may move markets more than Trump near term.

Yup, either hunter was short or hunter is looking for a dip to buy into. Welcome to the citron White House.
WorkerBee
Thanks!
Rice and Fries
gig em 02 said:

FJ43 said:

cgh1999 said:

Yup, either hunter was short or hunter is looking for a dip to buy into. Welcome to the citron White House.

Probably was more like Biden was frustrated about not knowing how to use the computer or read the data charts and was ranting about canceling and some aid overheard and leaked it to the press pool member they were sleeping with.
McInnis 03
AG
Some decent sized upgrades on big boys FB and NVDA this morning. Don't think it wakes them up yet but long term it could be worth paying attention to.

$aapl 131 -> 155 loop
$nvda 610 -> 625 susquehana
$crm 245 -> 260 credit suisse
$roku 180 -> 365 moffett
$fb 285 -> 325 moffett
$snap 39 -> 57 moffett
$goog 1900-> 2100 moffett
***If this post is on Business and Investing, take it with a grain of salt. I am wrong way more than I am right (but I am less wrong than I used to be) and if you follow me you will be too.***

B&I Key:
ETH - Extended Trading Hours --- RTH - Regular Trading Hours
ORH - Opening Range (1st 30min) High --- ORL - Opening Range Low
R1, R2, R3 - Resistance 1, 2, or 3 --- S1, S2, S3 - Support 1, 2 or 3
First Page Last Page
Page 2797 of 6618

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.