Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

24,034,055 Views | 231630 Replies | Last: 43 sec ago by ProgN
Ferris Wheel Allstar
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
E said:

McInnis 03 said:

So NIO announced a dilution but I think the math adds up to about an $.80 per share dilution, and the stock is down $2 on the news......BTFD?

Almost every time NIO has dipped the passed 4-5 months I have bought calls out 2-3 weeks and been a very happy camper
same, I hit the 2/5 calls and am just trying to find the right time to unload them.
AgCPA95
AG
cjo03 said:

That made me chuckle.

Didn't something similar happen with ZM vs ZOM? Wish I could predict other typos..
Was actually a ZOOM, but yes would be nice to get it on some of these!
cptthunder
cjo03 said:

That made me chuckle.

Didn't something similar happen with ZM vs ZOM? Wish I could predict other typos..
Someone needs to go ahead and list a company under CDIM and they might be able to catch some easy money from OA haha
FJ43
$MBIO at $4.44 AH. Not bad....
Wealth gained hastily will dwindle. but whoever gathers little by little will increase it.
Proverbs 13:11

BR47
AG
Fightin_Aggie
AG
oldarmy1 said:

I wouldn't know since it didn't immediately drop to or beyond the new offer share price. That makes me think there are plenty of buyers and a continuation of trend developing happens.
Oldarmy1, how are you getting into sofi? You had mention you were buying once it came out I believe.

Saw they were doing a spac with ipoe. Do you just buy now and you are part of the merger or do you have to wait until it is finalized. I do not fully understand how a spac works during this time period
The world needs mean tweets

My Pronouns Ultra and MAGA

Trump 2024
Mostly Foggy Recollection
Whoever mentioned energy, I have a pool worth of SU and EOG. Behind these 100%. Looking for 30 on SU and 80 on EOG
TexasAg21
Interesting. How did you learn trends such as that? Any recommendations on books, articles, etc to gain insight into market factors/trends like that?
CPDAggie10
AG
FJ43 said:

I approve of this. You going to look at selling any CCs again?
wmitchell
AG
I have Feb 7.50 covered calls on half my shares - woudnt mind getting called out there!
I bleed maroon
AG
McInnis 03 said:

BayAg_14 said:

Anybody playing Academy (ASO)? It has been on an absolute tear lately.
Long since 15.94
Bought at 16 in early November. More of a hometown biased pick than any deep due diligence, but it's worked out pretty well so far. Thanks for the covered call recommendation, McInnis.
McInnis 03
AG
FJ43 said:

They coming for the $5's?
***If this post is on Business and Investing, take it with a grain of salt. I am wrong way more than I am right (but I am less wrong than I used to be) and if you follow me you will be too.***

B&I Key:
ETH - Extended Trading Hours --- RTH - Regular Trading Hours
ORH - Opening Range (1st 30min) High --- ORL - Opening Range Low
R1, R2, R3 - Resistance 1, 2, or 3 --- S1, S2, S3 - Support 1, 2 or 3
FJ43
CPDAggie10 said:

FJ43 said:

I approve of this. You going to look at selling any CCs again?
More than likely but will still probably limit to about 50% of my shares. This $4.50ish area has been its resistance level dating back a year now. But I have to say the volume is way above any prior period and believe it will move through this at some point. Going back further it is then $5 and $5.60.

I just want it to prove the PTs of $9-13 right!
Wealth gained hastily will dwindle. but whoever gathers little by little will increase it.

FJ43
McInnis 03 said:

FJ43 said:

Wouldn't surprise me at all if big money is doing that. Many will have to make a decision here I bet.

ProgN
Quote:

TikTok and Discord Are the New Wall Street Trading Desks; Pandemic has led to surge of day trading, helping push stocks like NIO and Tesla to records amid online buzz

By Caitlin McCabe, Gunjan Banerji and Mischa Frankl-Duval

A new army of social media-enabled day traders is helping push stocks to records and turning companies into market sensations.

As trading by individual investors boomed during the coronavirus pandemic, so has the popularity of online communities where they gather. Platforms including TikTok, Twitter , YouTube , Reddit, Instagram , Facebook and messaging platform Discord have become the new Wall Street trading desks. Individual investors gather to talk about hot stocks like Tesla Inc ., boast of gains and commiserate about losses.

These investors do more than just talk, though. They piggyback on each others' ideas and trades, helping fuel the momentum that has propelled some companies to triple-digit or bigger gains in 2020.

"People fall in love with [some stocks] and they get in these echo chambers, where they are all shouting, like, 'We're going to buy Tesla forever!'" said Blake Bassett, a 31-year-old delivery driver who began trading several years ago. "People post all day like it's a football game."

And while online discussions among investors aren't necessarily newin the late 1990s internet chat rooms dedicated to stocks helped sustain the tech-stock bubblesocial media is more widespread than ever before. That, meanwhile, has coincided with an industrywide move to commission-free trading , while most brokerages have made it easier to dabble in risky instruments like options.

Shares of Chinese electric-vehicle maker NIO Inc . are an example. The stock has received some of the most enduring interest from individual investors, joining the ranks of dozens of others , including fuel-cell company Plug Power Inc . and Tesla.

Though hardly a household name, NIO is among the most searched stocks on Google . Video snippets under the tag #nio have accumulated more than 35 million views on the social-media platform TikTok, with many young investors encouraging others to buy shares of the company or questioning if it is the next Tesla. And the buzz is alive on Twitter , where it was mentioned nearly 6,800 times on a single day in November, up from about 100 mentions a day at the start of 2020.

The excitement online has coincided with a rush of trading activity. NIO has been the second-most actively traded stock in the U.S. market over the past year, with about 111 million shares changing hands on average each day, according to Dow Jones Market Data as of Thursday. That only trailed trading in Apple Inc ., which has a market valuation more than 20 times that of NIO.

NIO Generates Buzz

* NIO, the Chinese Electric-Vehicle Startup, Unveils New ET7 Sedan (Jan. 9, 2021)

* How NIO, a Chinese EV Startup, Rose, Fell and Rose Again (Nov. 30, 2020)

* Tesla-Style Rally Puts Chinese Electric-Vehicle Makers on Par With GM, Ford (Dec. 17, 2020)

NIO has been a more popular trade than even the SPDR S&P 500 Exchange-Traded Fund Trust, one of the biggest ETFs tracking the broad stock-market index. Options volume tied to NIO has surged, with more than one-tenth of all activity recently stemming from individual investors, according to Trade Alert data.

Fetching under $4 at the beginning of 2020, NIO's U.S.-traded American depositary receipts closed at $62.70 Monday, a record. Its market value of about $98 billion is well above that of General Motors Co .

The chatter has persisted into the new year. NIO was the second-most-traded stock Monday on the retail-trading platform operated by Fidelity Investments Inc ., trailing only Tesla. And the trend was mirrored on Webull Financial LLC's platform last week. Part of the excitement stemmed from the unexpected Democratic Senate wins in Georgia, which some investors believe will give President-elect Joe Biden a greater shot at achieving his clean-energy initiatives.

The company's annual "NIO Day" on Saturday, during which the electric-vehicle maker unveiled its fourth production model , had also prompted enthusiasm among individual investors leading up to the event.

The online buzz has enticed traders to pile in. Gavin Mayo, a 19-year-old student at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill , says he typically spends anywhere from one to five hours a day scrolling TikTok, YouTube and other platforms for ideas on what to trade while churning out video snippets to more than 60,000 of his TikTok followers.

"If there's some really good stocks out thereusually people are talking about it," said Mr. Mayo, adding that he recently sold 100 shares of NIO for about a $1,600 profit after they rallied more quickly than he expected. Now, he's staying away from shares of electric-vehicle makers because he thinks they have run up too far. He recently sold his position in Tesla, too. That stock has surged 748% in the past 12 months, a rally that has intensified over the past week, making the company worth more than Facebook Inc .

Social media is what drew Mr. Mayo to stocks in the first place at around age 13, when he says he saw millionaire penny-stock trader Timothy Sykes's account while browsing Instagram . Mr. Sykes has boasted of making a full-time job out of trading stocks and posted about the $35,000 gold Rolex watch he had bought.

Not everyone is swept up by the hype, even if they, too, are part of the social-media stock-market debate.

Mr. Bassett has become skeptical of NIO's recent share-price moves. In early December, he turned to a popular stock-trading group on Facebook : "Do people even look into stocks anymore?" he asked the group's more than 150,000 members. "NIO is outright overvalued."

Dozens of comments flooded in. One trader said he had taken his profits and run. Another member of the Facebook group suggested NIO will "take over" the electric-car industry. A third offered a much simpler explanation: Never mind technicals, the member said, "We're in a bull run until we're not."
Sounds like us
CPDAggie10
AG
McInnis 03 said:

FJ43 said:

Maybe so. I'm covered on 25% of my shares at $5 expiring Friday. I'm okay with being called out on those I think.

Gonna troll the chain for some 7.5s tomorrow.
FJ43

$MBIO

Interesting to look at the 'left hand side' of the chart as OA referenced. Look at where we are and this goes back 18 months. The difference is the volume that has it here now vs. earlier periods. Also notice the about 5 month consolidation channel between June and November that wasn't present the previous 12 months.

Aggie118
AG
NAKD climbing after hours
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
I bleed maroon said:

McInnis 03 said:

BayAg_14 said:

Long since 15.94
Bought at 16 in early November. More of a hometown biased pick than any deep due diligence, but it's worked out pretty well so far. Thanks for the covered call recommendation, McInnis.

Is your hometown New York City? Academy is majority PE owned since 2011
Mr President Elect
AG
$TTOO climbing AH
wjbrown88
I'm curious, did OA actively trade during the Great Recession?
ProgN
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/11/crypto-investors-risk-losing-all-their-money-uks-fca-warns.html
Quote:

LONDON Thinking of investing in a cryptocurrency? Be prepared to lose all your money.

That's the message from the U.K.'s Financial Conduct Authority, which on Monday warned investments and lending products related to crypto come with "very high risks."

"The FCA is aware that some firms are offering investments in cryptoassets, or lending or investments linked to cryptoassets, that promise high returns," the financial services regulator said.

"If consumers invest in these types of product, they should be prepared to lose all their money."

The warning from the FCA comes amid wild volatility in the cryptocurrency market. Bitcoin and other virtual currencies plunged on Monday, wiping off some $200 billion from the total value of all cryptocurrencies combined.

Bitcoin surged to new records last week, climbing as high as $41,973. Investors increasingly view the digital asset as a hedge against inflation similar to gold in times of unprecedented stimulus from governments.

But bitcoin's wild rise has led some commentators to warn it could be a market bubble likely to burst soon. The world's most-valuable cryptocurrency has skyrocketed over 300% in the last 12 months. Bank of America in a recent note called it the "mother-of-all-bubbles."

"The regulator is clearly concerned that the high risks already inherent in cryptoassets are being compounded by scam activity, as well as unregulated firms targeting consumers with marketing material that highlights the rewards, but not the potential downside, of investing in cryptoassets," Laith Khalaf, a financial analyst at AJ Bell, said in a note Monday.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
Added a quick chart on what would constitute a true reversal on SPX, basically a close below 3775 / SPY 377.

If it is time for a mean reversion, 3727 / 372.
Touchless
AG
tailgatetimer10 said:

Musk isn't anywhere close to surpassing Bezos. Bezos would literally have to sell all of his investments, then spend half.

The thought of that is insane.
Hi

I bleed maroon
AG
NRD09 said:

I bleed maroon said:

McInnis 03 said:

BayAg_14 said:

Long since 15.94

Is your hometown New York City? Academy is majority PE owned since 2011
Just like me, Academy was raised in Houston!
YNWA_AG
AG
FJ43
YNWA_AG said:

This makes me happy. Went with the McInnis twins on the Friday calls and also picked up Feb 20c.

lobwedgephil
YNWA_AG said:

ARK has been buying non stop since August, think they have almost 10 million shares, it is bound to pop soon.
TMOOSE
IPO Question:

Maybe a newb question - my gf uses PoshMark for selling clothes and she was one of the "chosen" ambassadors to get shares. please see below. Says shares will be 35-39 a share. Should she even bother? Pluses and minuses? Appreciate everyones help.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Poshmark is setting aside a percentage of shares in the IPO for a Directed Share Program ("DSP"). The DSP allows Poshmark to invite eligible POSH Ambassadors and certain "friends and family" to participate in the IPO and buy Poshmark shares at the IPO price, subject to minimum and maximum share purchase amounts. This email does not constitute an offer to purchase shares - any offer to purchase shares will be made solely by the underwriters pursuant to an effective SEC registration statement and prospectus. Fidelity Investments is pleased to have been selected by Poshmark to administer the sales under the DSP in the United States.

Let it Ride
gougler08
AG
Mr President Elect said:

$TTOO climbing AH

Covered call time tomorrow
GigEmRangers75455
NAKD running over .45
djmeen95
AG
Aggies75455 said:

NAKD running over .45

Let's run NAKD!

FJ43

Jet Black
TAK up .31 AH
Coachbro20
FJ43 said:

YNWA_AG said:

This makes me happy. Went with the McInnis twins on the Friday calls and also picked up Feb 20c.

What's the thinking here on the 1/15 $19 strike, sell at open or hold on to see if it pops more?
First Page Last Page
Page 2745 of 6619

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.